Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I kinda like the red, but would really enjoy having the option for multiple colors. Hopefully they are available to us regular consumers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ShowTime posted:

I still don't understand why you'd need a kickstand for your phone. It's not like you are going to leave it parked outside a convenience store while you run inside for a slurpee.

No but it is pretty cool to use your kickstand at your desk at work. Actually it loving rocks. I even have a dock at my desk for it but I prefer using the kickstand most of the time.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

This kickstand looks to avoid that issue... but it also looks gigantic

http://htcpedia.com/news/htc-evo-3d-accessories.html?l_page=1&p_page=1

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

Nextel is 850ish frequency, not 800. Otherwise I have no idea beyond I really doubt sprint will just make everyones phone instantly onsolete. It will likely be very gradual.

I didn't realize iDEN was 850 and not 800. I guess I shouldn't really care though since the E3D supports it whatever band it's actually using and that will be my next phone. :P

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Chunk posted:

This kickstand looks to avoid that issue... but it also looks gigantic

http://htcpedia.com/news/htc-evo-3d-accessories.html?l_page=1&p_page=1

I love that the dock is displaying the picture from a Droid.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

rockcity posted:

Has anyone recently done total coverage replacement on a touch pro 2 recently? I just accidentally broke the screen on mine and I was curious if they still have replacement TP2's or if they're swapping it for something different now.
I did one back in November. Honestly, you don't have to start worrying until it disappears from their website and stores. I know my local stores still have 'em on display.

Lowen SoDium posted:

td4guy posted:

So the Network Vision plan is to have a standard CDMA signal running on both 800MHz and the current 1900MHz, for excellent range, building penetration, and network capacity. But all of our current phones only look for a signal on 1900MHz. I did a bit of googling and, from what I gathered, it looks like we're all going to have to get new phones with multi-mode/whatever radios that are smart and advanced enough to listen on both frequencies.

What are the odds that we'll be able to flash our current-generation android phone radios to behave the same way?

What are the odds that I'll be able to at least flash my old Touch Pro2 (lol) to work on 800MHz?
Reflashing is not very likely. Firstly because they usually won't add features to older phones like that. Secondly, because the phone's radio would have to support it's hardware.
Yeah, Sprint definitely wouldn't do anything official like that. But what about unofficial stuff made by the community? Surely the EVO is popular enough for someone to figure out how to get it onto the 800MHz SMR band.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 13, 2011

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

--double post, oops--

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

My upgrade is due july 1st, but I'm pretty sick of my current device.

I hit up online sales asking if they are able to bump up my date to the 24th and this is what I was told:

REP: Unfortunately,it won't be possible to change the upgrade eligibility date because the phone's upgrade eligibility depends on the active age of the device. It is systematically defined and unfortunately is not possible to reset it manually from our end.

hope you understand our system limitation in this regard.Had it been possible for us, I would have already gone ahead and offered it to you.. However you can pre-order for this phone at your nearest Sprint store with $50.00 gift cared and can get this phone, once, the line becomes eligible for upgrade.

I feel like I've seen other instances of people convincing them to bump the date slightly..am I just SOL?

Call retentions, number is in the OP, they will bump it. Also, June 18th any Sprint rep can bump it.

datajosh posted:

If I remember correctly, stores can still let you use your upgrade as long as you're within 2? weeks of the upgrade date. Duckman can probably say for sure next time he sees the thread.

Officially, no. I believe people have managed to do it but it's rare. In a number of cases, standard pricing with a corporate discount ends up being cheaper than EPRP.

Yes to the 2 weeks. They keep it simple, 18th of any month is when we can do it.

My friend at work also works part time at UPS. He had a Sprint account with the 25% discount, and when he transferred it to the employee plan, it somehow kept his discount. Seriously, he has the holy grail of cell phone plans, Android smartphone unlimited everything, about $15 a month tops. It just pisses me off, I used to work part time at Vanderbilt and could have pulled it off :(

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ThermoPhysical posted:

All this kickstand talk is making me wish I had one on my Nexus S... Anyone know of any cases that would give one?

I bought this one off of ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nexus-S-4G-Kickstand-Case-and-Screen-Protector-USA-/150616970359?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2311789477

I got rid of my Nexus S though. If you're interested, I could sell it to you for less than that.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oh boy, I can't wait for angry birds 3d!!!

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

rockcity posted:

Has anyone recently done total coverage replacement on a touch pro 2 recently? I just accidentally broke the screen on mine and I was curious if they still have replacement TP2's or if they're swapping it for something different now.

I did one about 2 weeks ago, they still have replacement TP2's.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
You know, looking at people that comment about the EVO 3D on a few forums I'm starting to feel like the feature they named the phone after was a mistake. Most people hear 3D in the name and immediately say gently caress this phone it will burn battery life on an EVO to match and it will be a bitch to turn it off said feature without trying to find out more information. They should have just used one of their 10,000 vague random descriptions like HTC always does. Or maybe just named it EVO 2 for 2 cores and capitalize on the real reason why people are buying this phone in the first place.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Battery life should be pretty decent with the 1700ish mAh battery. I get pretty good life with the 1400 on my Nexus One.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

jaku78 posted:

You know, looking at people that comment about the EVO 3D on a few forums I'm starting to feel like the feature they named the phone after was a mistake. Most people hear 3D in the name and immediately say gently caress this phone it will burn battery life on an EVO to match and it will be a bitch to turn it off said feature without trying to find out more information. They should have just used one of their 10,000 vague random descriptions like HTC always does. Or maybe just named it EVO 2 for 2 cores and capitalize on the real reason why people are buying this phone in the first place.

I do agree that the EVO 2 would of been a better name, but they wanted to show off that 3D part of the phone. Average consumer will probably love having 3D in the name while not even completely understanding it.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

jaku78 posted:

Most people hear 3D in the name and immediately say gently caress this phone it will burn battery life on an EVO to match and it will be a bitch to turn it off said feature without trying to find out more information.
Most people hear 3D in the name and think, "Ooooh, 3D!"

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WoG posted:

Most people hear 3D in the name and think, "Ooooh, 3D!"

I was just talking with one of my co-workers about the EVO 3D. He was asking what it had over the EVO 4G. After telling him the specs I remembered off hand he said:

"So it's pretty much 2x the specs of EVO 4G with a 3D gimmick? Why did they put something like that on there? Won't most people buy it because it's a high end phone?"

I told him:

"People like you or me are more interested in the hardware specs and performance and think that the 3D is a silly gimmick. But your average consumer doesn't understand or care about CPU speed, number of cores, and ram. They see the 3D thing and think that's what makes the phone cool."

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'm actually excited to have a 3D video recording device to (somewhat) future proof my home videos.

And of course for the hardware specs.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Yeah I can't wait to start uploading some 3d video to youtube and such. BTW if you didn't know youtube has a 3d section.

https://www.youtube.com/select_3d_mode

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've said it before, but I'm hopeful that developers will utilize the 3D cameras for some AR apps. It'll be a limited install base for now (there's what, one other phone with 3D capability in the US? Anything else besides the Optimus 3D on the horizon?), but I think it would be a cool enhancement to AR to have it be 3D.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Sprint's unlimited data means unlimited? Right? I am just checking because I remembering hearing it really was 5 gigs, but if you went over some no biggie. Well last month I had 10 gigs and this month I am already at 6 gigs at the half way point. The biggest data uses are podcast (download via 3G) and some direct to phone ROM downloads. Besides that all I been doing is streaming (XIAA and Google Music Beta).

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Sprint's unlimited data means unlimited? Right? I am just checking because I remembering hearing it really was 5 gigs, but if you went over some no biggie. Well last month I had 10 gigs and this month I am already at 6 gigs at the half way point. The biggest data uses are podcast (download via 3G) and some direct to phone ROM downloads. Besides that all I been doing is streaming (XIAA and Google Music Beta).

On our family plan we consistently go over ten per month, haven't had any notices or problems.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Definitely unlimited unlimited, unless you do something crazy like tether to your computer and torrent a crapload of stuff.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Will the Nexus S 4G die if you tether while charging? In other words, I have heard many reports of sloooow charging on the Nexus S and I fear if I am, say, tethered and streaming media while it's plugged in the power draw will be more than the charge. This happens with some phones in the car while using Google nav...the charger simply cannot keep up with consumption and it drains even though it's plugged in.

Also, if I buy the Nexus S from Amazon wireless, will I be eligible for the $125 port-in promo (assuming I enroll within 72 hrs after porting)?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

hotsauce posted:

Will the Nexus S 4G die if you tether while charging?
Depends. If you're USB tethering it should be OK, even though less power is available when charging from a computer you're only using one radio. If you're WiFi tethering but using a proper/OEM dedicated charger, it should still be OK since more power is available. If you're WiFi tethering and charging via a computer/bad/Apple charger, then it's quite possible for the power consumption of both radios to exceed that supplied by charging.

hotsauce posted:

This happens with some phones in the car while using Google nav...the charger simply cannot keep up with consumption and it drains even though it's plugged in.
Quite possibly because folks are using the "wrong" kind of charger, and the charge current is limited to 500 mA.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Will the Nexus S 4G die if you tether while charging? In other words, I have heard many reports of sloooow charging on the Nexus S and I fear if I am, say, tethered and streaming media while it's plugged in the power draw will be more than the charge. This happens with some phones in the car while using Google nav...the charger simply cannot keep up with consumption and it drains even though it's plugged in.

Also, if I buy the Nexus S from Amazon wireless, will I be eligible for the $125 port-in promo (assuming I enroll within 72 hrs after porting)?

Honestly not sure about the port credit, I've been told that it is a through sprint stores/online only. You may want sprint to confirm it, I don't know what the commission rates are to amazon, but its possible they won't honor it because of whatever they amazon. I would def check.

Edit: new Samsung conquer out of left field. At least it looks better than the transform?

http://phandroid.com/2011/06/13/samsung-conquer-4g-will-be-sprints-next-mid-range-android/

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 13, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just got back from the Sprint store...drove there with all intentions to port from AT&T, grab the Nexus S and be out the door. I left empty handed though...still doubting Sprint and wether it's right for me.

I asked (on purpose) the salesman if the tethering is free. He said no, you have to pay for it. I asked him why it's free on the Nexus S (T-Mobile and AT&T). He said it isn't and I corrected him by telling him it IS free and is a perk to the "Pure Google" experience. He said well, whatever, Sprint will be charging for it in the near future.He then pointed out all other Android phones and said well, they have to pay to tether so Nexus S owners will too. Ok bro, you're missing the point of Pure Google...

I also inquired about the reception issues with the Nexus S and of course, deer in headlights. He also was tripping over his words when I asked about porting my 12-yr old number to GV via Sprint. I also thought it was interesting that he said the plan is $69 and unlimited data is only $10. I said "you mean the 4g surcharge is $10?" He said no, data is $10. Ah well...white flag and all...

Lastly, he told me the port-in credit is only direct and Amazon doesn't qualify. I thought I'd have a bit of fun before I left by asking him if they would match Amazon's $99 deal for the Nexus S. He laughed, I laughed, I left.

So, I really wanted to snuggle up to Sprint, but it just wasn't in the cards today. There seems to be too much uncertainty regarding the hotspot charge / no charge / etc. and at this point, people are hoping Google / Samsung fixes the "phantom" reception issues

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/27/engadget-investigates-samsung-nexus-s-4g-wimax-performance-issu/

I do realize the sales rep was poorly trained, but I didn't have much confidence in his sales pitch.

Until then, I'll sit on the sidelines and watch how the EVO 3D fares.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 13, 2011

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

hotsauce posted:

Outsmarted a lowly Sprint rep.

So in other words you did all your research before going in and outsmarted that pesky Sprint rep. Sounds like you had no intention of getting that phone and all you did was waste that guys time.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

OptimusMatrix posted:

So in other words you did all your research before going in and outsmarted that pesky Sprint rep. Sounds like you had no intention of getting that phone and all you did was waste that guys time.

Not true. I wasn't an rear end to the guy. I was very polite.

I had every intention of breaking my AT&T contract to go with Sprint. I was going to get the Nexus S and possibly return it for the EVO 3D. I changed my mind because of the shifty answers and attitude from the guy.

It wasn't only him...there were other guys that helped me as well. All equally as shifty.

Just didn't instill confidence. Made me re-think Sprint, that's all. I wasn't trying to outsmart anyone (that's too easy...)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You did and continue to sound like an rear end.

That's the main takeaway from OptimusMatrix's post.

You were picking a fight and went into the store already knowing what you asked about, but asking the questions anyway.

OFFICIALLY tethering is not free. OFFICIALLY the $10 is for data, not 4G. OFFICIALLY the Nexus S doesn't have any documented reception issues.

You expected a retail Sprint employee to tell you "gently caress yeah, go tether until they shut you off!" or "yeah, the charge is for 4G even though we say otherwise" or "yeah the loving Nexus is broke or something, I dunno".

You are an rear end.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

OptimusMatrix posted:

To be fair, he did his job as a consumer and he expected the sprint rep to have at least done a consumers job. The sprint rep should have done a better job with him.

That said, of course they aren't going to acknowledge a fault with a hot new product and they can't match 3rd party deals.

If Sprint isn't for you, then it's not for you. You can get any answers from this thread you'd need, and you'd never need to visit a sprint store if you didn't want. You can call sprint and do everything you want over the phone or online.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

ShowTime posted:

To be fair, he did his job as a consumer and he expected the sprint rep to have at least done a consumers job. The sprint rep should have done a better job with him.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to the Sprint employees in this thread, but I need to emphasize my point here.

You expect some loving peon at Sprint to have "at least done a consumers job"? No, his job is to say what Sprint tells him to and sell phones.

A 'straight answer' on the $10 surcharge, Nexus S reception issues, or illicit tethering abilities would get him fired.

In a magical non-capitalist ideal world all companies would be fair and truthful and perfect.

In the real world Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, whoever the hell else, want to sell as much product as possible to maximize their profits. End of story.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Just got back from the AT&T store...drove there with all intentions to port from Sprint, grab the Nexus S and be out the door. I left empty handed though...still doubting AT&T and whether it's right for me.

I asked (on purpose) the salesman if the tethering is free. He said no, you have to pay for it. I asked him why it's free on the Nexus S (T-Mobile and Sprint). He said it isn't and I corrected him by telling him it IS free and is a perk to the "Pure Google" experience. He said well, whatever, AT&T will be charging for it in the near future. He then pointed out all other Android phones and said well, they have to pay to tether so Nexus S owners will too. Ok bro, you're missing the point of Pure Google...

I also inquired about the reception issues with the Nexus S and of course, deer in headlights. He also was tripping over his words when I asked about porting my 12-yr old number to GV via AT&T. I also thought it was interesting that he said the plan is $69 and unlimited data is only $10. I said "you mean the 4g surcharge is $10?" He said no, data is $10. Ah well...white flag and all...

Lastly, he told me the port-in credit is only direct and Amazon doesn't qualify. I thought I'd have a bit of fun before I left by asking him if they would match Amazon's $99 deal for the Nexus S. He laughed, I laughed, I left.

So, I really wanted to snuggle up to AT&T, but it just wasn't in the cards today. There seems to be too much uncertainty regarding the hotspot charge / no charge / etc. and at this point, people are hoping Google / Samsung fixes the "phantom" reception issues

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/27/engadget-investigates-samsung-nexus-s-4g-wimax-performance-issu/

I do realize the sales rep was poorly trained, but I didn't have much confidence in his sales pitch.

Until then, I'll sit on the sidelines and watch how the Galaxy S II fares.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

hotsauce posted:

I asked (on purpose) the salesman if the tethering is free. He said no, you have to pay for it. I asked him why it's free on the Nexus S (T-Mobile and AT&T). He said it isn't and I corrected him by telling him it IS free and is a perk to the "Pure Google" experience.
Tethering isn't free on AT&T & T-Mobile. AT&T charges $20/mo and T-Mobile $15. It's the case that the GSM/UMTS Nexus S doesn't enforce the purchase of a separate tethering plan (although to my knowledge, none of T-Mobile's recent Android devices do including branded ones), but that's not a carrier-sanctioned "perk" of the phone--it's a function of it being a unlocked GSM/UMTS device with a stock software stack being used on an open-access carrier.

Similarly, tethering isn't free on Sprint and no salesman is going to suggest otherwise. I gather that you believe tethering should be free as a function of it being a "pure Google" device, but it's not. Officially, tethering on Sprint is something you have to pay extra for, regardless of device. The real question is: do you have to pay for a tethering plan in practice or does the stock tethering function still work in an unsanctioned capacity? For now, it seems so.

Beyond that, keep in mind two things: on any Android phone you can USB tether with PdaNet or EasyTether without rooting and without paying for an additional plan, at least as much as you can with a Nexus S on AT&T & T-Mobile. Conversely, carriers can use network-based approached to block/require folks to pay for a tethering plan regardless of the software stack actually used on the phone. None appear to be using such tactics at this moment, although there's evidence that T-Mobile tested such shorty after the Nexus S's release in certain markets.

hotsauce posted:

He said well, whatever, Sprint will be charging for it in the near future.He then pointed out all other Android phones and said well, they have to pay to tether so Nexus S owners will too. Ok bro, you're missing the point of Pure Google...
That's not the point of pure Google, and if that's the only reason you're getting a Nexus S, that's a pretty bad reason.

To be clear: unlocked GSM/UMTS devices are totally removed from carrier software control as long the carriers allow open device access (they don't have an IMEI whitelist). There is no such thing as an unlocked CDMA device. Instead, Verzion & Sprint whitelist ESN/MEIDs and will only light up branded devices, whose radio (including radio software) meet their requirements, whereas UCS/Metro/Cricket don't give a poo poo and will light up anything. The Nexus S is no different from any other Sprint device in this regard.

hotsauce posted:

I also thought it was interesting that he said the plan is $69 and unlimited data is only $10. I said "you mean the 4g surcharge is $10?" He said no, data is $10. Ah well...white flag and all...
The "4G surcharge" is now the "smartphone surcharge". It's required for any/all smartphone activations except for certain models on certain no-longer-available employee referral plans.

hotsauce posted:

In his defense, you already appear to know a lot about Sprint and the Nexus S. The issues you brought up, including unsanctioned free tethering and reception issues that--while widely known on the Internet--have not been confirmed by Sprint nor communicated down to their sales associates, are things I imagine few sales folks are aware of, and not things I would expect them to speak about competently.

But you've already done your homework, or at least some of it. So, why do you need a sales associate? Why not sign up for EPRP online and have a new phone overnighted to you when you're ready?

Edit: Took far too long to type that, other folks long beat me. :(

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 13, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Wow, hot button post.

Thankfully I did my homework unlike 99% of people who walk into a cellphone store. If that makes me an rear end, so be it.

I'm a huge dick, got it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Wow, hot button post.

Thankfully I did my homework unlike 99% of people who walk into a cellphone store. If that makes me an rear end, so be it.

I'm a huge dick, got it.

Maybe Sprint just doesn't want you. We certainly don't.

All kidding aside, make sure you like the Nexus S before you go with it. It seems like it's 50/50 right now, in terms of like/dislike. I personally liked it on paper, but when I went into the sprint store and used it for a bit, I hated it. It felt like I was playing with a hollow toy named "Kids First Touchscreen".

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Just got back from the Sprint store...drove there with all intentions to port from AT&T, grab the Nexus S and be out the door. I left empty handed though...still doubting Sprint and wether it's right for me.

I asked (on purpose) the salesman if the tethering is free. He said no, you have to pay for it. I asked him why it's free on the Nexus S (T-Mobile and AT&T). He said it isn't and I corrected him by telling him it IS free and is a perk to the "Pure Google" experience. He said well, whatever, Sprint will be charging for it in the near future.He then pointed out all other Android phones and said well, they have to pay to tether so Nexus S owners will too. Ok bro, you're missing the point of Pure Google...

I also inquired about the reception issues with the Nexus S and of course, deer in headlights. He also was tripping over his words when I asked about porting my 12-yr old number to GV via Sprint. I also thought it was interesting that he said the plan is $69 and unlimited data is only $10. I said "you mean the 4g surcharge is $10?" He said no, data is $10. Ah well...white flag and all...

So, I really wanted to snuggle up to Sprint, but it just wasn't in the cards today. There seems to be too much uncertainty regarding the hotspot charge / no charge / etc. and at this point, people are hoping Google / Samsung fixes the "phantom" reception issues

Until then, I'll sit on the sidelines and watch how the EVO 3D fares.

Hell, I donno even know if the rep sounds that poorly trained, maybe just not trained to deal with nerds. His answers would have satisfied normal customers.

Hotspot: He gave you a great, honest answer: even if there is no charge, there is no guarantee Sprint won't start and no guarantee Sprint won't block it. TMobile and AT&T both block unauthorized tethering (or try to), so I don't think comparing them like that is fair anyway. So yeah, feel free to tether unauthorized, I certainly don't discourage it, but being mad at a cell phone rep for saying what his job requires him to say (tethering has a charge) and not realizing that the future is ambiguous is a bit silly. Pure Google means you get options like tethering, it doesn't mean carriers cannot interfere with them.

On Amazon and the Port Credit he was right to tell you Amazon doesn't qualify with the port credit:

Sprint Credit Portal posted:

This offer is available online, via Telesales and in participating Sprint Stores.

Nexus S signal problems: Personally my customers haven't complained about it. That doesn't mean it isn't there, but I guess at the least some people are not noticing the issue. Either way, Sprint has a 30 day guarantee, just buy the phone, port or use a temporary number, and see if you are satisfied with the coverage/phone. If you are not, just return it, you get a full refund, no restock fee and you don't pay for service. Can't get a better guarantee than that.

And personally, I never blame customers who buy from amazon because its cheaper, but come on dude, throwing it in someone's face like that kinda blows. We don't control Amazon/Best Buy undercutting us on price because they have mass buying power, and given that we make our money through sales I won't judge someone for buying through other places, but just don't be a dick like that. I'll be the first to say a lot of wireless sales guys are either idiots or shady, but this guy doesn't sound like one of them.

Sorry if this was a long rant, I'm sure you are a good dude, I don't mind losing sales due to being underbid price wise, but drat do I hate when assholes come back and waive the phone in my face (this seriously happens). And Sprint still requires me to service them (so if you get it from Amazon I still have to transfer your contacts). In the end not the end of the world, but I hate when people are assholes about it.

Edit: drat I was really beaten on this one, took longer than Excess Blarg apparently. Anyway, hopefully that gives you a perspective from the other side of the coin.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 13, 2011

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Wow, hot button post.

I'm a huge dick, got it.

Doing homework doesn't make you a douche bag. Saying things like

quote:

I wasn't trying to outsmart anyone (that's too easy...)

And trying to catch some low-paid mall employee on their sales pitch are what make you completely insufferable.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Duckman2008 posted:

Hell, I donno even know if the rep sounds that pAnd Sprint still requires me to service them (so if you get it from Amazon I still have to transfer your contacts).

I bought my father in law a Nexus S in-store and they wouldn't transfer his contacts because his phone was like 8 years old and they didnt have the data cable gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat :frogsiren:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

traveling midget posted:

I bought my father in law a Nexus S in-store and they wouldn't transfer his contacts because his phone was like 8 years old and they didnt have the data cable gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat :frogsiren:

How does a phone sold 8 years ago even work anymore? I thought, like, everything had changed so much that things we were using 8 years ago don't even work with current technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

ShowTime posted:

How does a phone sold 8 years ago even work anymore? I thought, like, everything had changed so much that things we were using 8 years ago don't even work with current technology.

8 years is definitely an exaggeration but it was a Verizon flip-phone with a stamp-sized LCD on the outside and a traditional 1-9 keypad.

except older.