Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

OregonDonor posted:

Biomod is really cool, and it improves on a lot of aspects of the game, but if you find it to be too much at first you can always play a run through with Shifter. I played with Shifter before Biomod, and I don't think I would have liked Biomod as much if I would not have done so.

Yeah, play Shifter first, then Biomod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

IRQ posted:

I'm thinking of doing another playthrough of DX. I've only ever played vanilla, what's different in biomod?

Bugfixes, an overhaul of the aug/weapon balance to make everything worth using, incorporating the only good thing to come out of IW (passive augs).

Don't bother with shifter. Biomod doesn't make changes to more stuff, it just makes more (and better) changes to the same stuff.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Does anyone here have that version of Shifter called ShifterOL? A dude from SA made it and I remember it being pretty cool. It just fixed a couple bugs and added a couple cool touches.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Don't bother with shifter. Biomod doesn't make changes to more stuff, it just makes more (and better) changes to the same stuff.
I don't know, I think the passive augs are cool and all but they are quite a bit of a gamebreaker. I also tend to skip the improved weapons from Shifter for the same reason. The newest Biomod gets rid of the XP system from Shifter (good/bad depending on your view). Then again DX isn't exactly that difficult, and Biomod is really cool, so hard to say.

I think it is a case where you should know the differences, but you shouldn't even look at the ReadMes (beyond the installation instructions) unless you've played the game before. Shifter is more like the original, however, and has some impressive fixes just on its own.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

OregonDonor posted:

Biomod is really cool, and it improves on a lot of aspects of the game, but if you find it to be too much at first you can always play a run through with Shifter. I played with Shifter before Biomod, and I don't think I would have liked Biomod as much if I would not have done so.

Nah I'd say run Biomod anyway. Biomod is great because you don't need to gently caress around with F1-12 every 2 seconds to use your augs.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I'm playing with Biomod for the first time and drat it is awesome. The toxin blade is such a nasty little weapon in the early stages of the game. Combat knife that poisons, paralyses and kills quietly? Sign me up.

Every time I play through, I like to find new ways to assassinate Maggie Chow. This time I got up onto the roof, activated the crazy legs and jumped straight through the skylight with my prototype nanosword equipped. Landed right in front of Maggie, chopped her up, then switched to the magnum and blasted her maid in the face before she could fire back. Switched to gas grenades, chucked them towards the retracted Buddha statue (another cool feature that was meant to be in the game that the mod seems to have added in. No more MJ12 troopers running against the wall because they think it should be open!), took a hit of zyme and magnumed the troopers in slowmo as they stood there choking. Then when the zyme-hangover kicked in I smashed out the windows and chucked all the bodies into the street below. :black101: Biomod lets you do so much more cool stuff on top of the cool stuff you already could do.

I've also taken to stunning the P-series agents so they don't blow up and I can nick their goodies. Then I kill them anyway because they are abominations.

Also, to add to the new stuff you find every playthrough pile, this time I discovered a secret armory in the guardhouse just before you reach Lebedev's hangar. Look for a loose brick. ;)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Doom Goon posted:

I don't know, I think the passive augs are cool and all but they are quite a bit of a gamebreaker.

I don't think they are, really. Maybe if you're playing on the easiest difficulty where JC is a bullet sponge anyway, so you can just use all the passives and some other augs to turn yourself into an invincible death machine... but then you're JC Denton, and that is kind of the point.

I've not noticed the game being significantly easier with passive augs than it was without - they're well-balanced, you're ludicrously powerful either way even on Realistic about halfway through the game (and this is the case even in vanilla, if you can be bothered to press the F keys) and all it does is remove the annoyance of having to micromanage activating/deactivating your augs.

Biomod really is amazing - it basically fixes the design mishaps that Deus Ex suffered from originally. This is why there's no reason to not use it.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Someone mentioned more custom weapons in Biomod or something. What are some of them?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
In Shifter there is a buttload of unique weapons, like Paul's Blackjack (stronger), prototype nanoswords (available earlier and smaller then DTS, but weaker), Lebedev's Magnum (10mm pistol, more recoil but more powerful) etc. I really like 'em, I love unique weapons in RPG-esque games. It's fun to collect 'em all.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
The custom weapons are in Shifter, which is part of Biomod but you can get Shifter separately. I like to play with only Shifter and not Biomod, since I don't like some of the changes Biomod makes.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Oh okay, I'm familiar with the Shifter additions but I wasn't sure if Biomod added anything extra. Thanks.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Any idea why I can't enable the speed augmentation? No response.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OregonDonor posted:

Oh okay, I'm familiar with the Shifter additions but I wasn't sure if Biomod added anything extra. Thanks.

Biomod adds incendiary grenades. :black101:

Therefore, if you don't use it, you're a Communist.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 12, 2011

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dominoes posted:

Any idea why I can't enable the speed augmentation? No response.

Out of energy? Unbound your button (the F1 etc. stuff is part of the aug icons IIRC)?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ugh. You guys really weren't kidding about Invisible War. It is borderline unplayable for me. I knew it was a really disappointing sequel to many but after recently finishing Deus Ex 1 again and having never played the sequel I wanted to give the game a shot despite knowing of all the shortcomings the game has.

I think I spent more time loving around with texture packs and getting the game to look okay on a widescreen monitor than I did actually playing the game, which kept crashing to the desktop with no error message on the way to Lower Seattle and not at the same point either. The game really does run like rear end. So yeah... I give up with Invisible War.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Ugh. You guys really weren't kidding about Invisible War. It is borderline unplayable for me. I knew it was a really disappointing sequel to many but after recently finishing Deus Ex 1 again and having never played the sequel I wanted to give the game a shot despite knowing of all the shortcomings the game has.

I think I spent more time loving around with texture packs and getting the game to look okay on a widescreen monitor than I did actually playing the game, which kept crashing to the desktop with no error message on the way to Lower Seattle and not at the same point either. The game really does run like rear end. So yeah... I give up with Invisible War.

You're not really missing anything plot or gameplay-wise. Don't worry.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
I couldn't even get the game to run on my PC. What the hell happened?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I love how Alex D just sort of floats around everywhere and the world has no sense of physical presence whatsoever.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, there's a lot to slog through just to get to moments where you kill people by throwing bodies at them or send sassy children across the room with one punch. But it's satisfying enough to make up for it

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

One thing I really did like about Invisible War was that silent glass breakage pistol mod. I'm surprised that never turned up in another game.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

dvorak posted:

One thing I really did like about Invisible War was that silent glass breakage pistol mod. I'm surprised that never turned up in another game.

Yeah, it was interesting but for the most part you could just break the glass and hide until the really stupid AI decides you're not around anymore and wanders off if you're doing a no-kill run or something.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dvorak posted:

Aside from passive augs and unique weapons, the weapon mods were the one thing I thought that IW did right. I loved making an uber-sniper pistol that could kill anyone in one shot in the original DX, but having to choose between simple stat boosts or cooler effects like glass disintegration was a great dynamic that made it more rewarding to experiment with multiple weapons instead of dumping everything into one superweapon.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Farbtoner posted:

Aside from passive augs and unique weapons, the weapon mods were the one thing I thought that IW did right. I loved making an uber-sniper pistol that could kill anyone in one shot in the original DX, but having to choose between simple stat boosts or cooler effects like glass disintegration was a great dynamic that made it more rewarding to experiment with multiple weapons instead of dumping everything into one superweapon.

Yeah I'm going to be playing the game again with Biomod after checking it out, and my stand-by weapon will always be the most badass scoped Stealth Pistol possible.

Doesn't Shifter add some kind of cool custom stealth pistol somewhere? I'm pretty sure I remember getting one last time.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

dvorak posted:

Yeah I'm going to be playing the game again with Biomod after checking it out, and my stand-by weapon will always be the most badass scoped Stealth Pistol possible.

Doesn't Shifter add some kind of cool custom stealth pistol somewhere? I'm pretty sure I remember getting one last time.

Yeah, Jojo has it on your second trip to Hell's Kitchen.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E
I'm replaying Deus Ex right now and googled the eagle sculpture in Battery Park and found this neat website that I'd never heard of before: http://deusexroadtrip.blogspot.com/
Looks like he kind of dropped it, though.

I haven't played Deus Ex in probably eight years or so. I really wasn't too enthusiastic about starting it again, kind of expecting it wouldn't be able to get that cool feeling I get when I play a game I'm really immersed in, but it still does it, although sometimes it feels tedious getting back into it. I have noticed I explore a lot more, and try to exploit the game more than I used to. I think I used to play it in a much more linear fashion.

dvorak posted:

After I play DX I'm going to try Invisible War. I hated it when I watched a walkthrough of it, but I'm kind of looking forward to it. I think the lighting and the music is pretty. And I don't know. It kind of looks like a Deus Ex puppet show and I guess that's cool. Hopefully it won't make me want to kill myself.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I think IW is alright. Not terrible, not great. Though I went in not expecting it to be as good as the first one, and basically treated it as its own game and not a Deus Ex sequel. In fact, I usually forget I'm playing a DX sequel until I hear JC mentioned.

You might want to do this before you play though http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Deus_Ex:_Invisible_War

I had framerate drops before I followed this guide.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I actually decided to give Invisible War one last chance so I performed a fresh install and only did the widescreen fix this time. Funnily enough, the engine seemed a bit more stable without the texture pack. Load times seemed faster too. I guess I can deal with characters looking like rear end if it means I'll spend less time on the games numerous loading screens and if it makes an already unoptimized engine a bit more stable.

I'm in Cairo now and I find the game kinda fun in a very bastardized, simplistic Deus Ex way I think. I'm glad I gave the game one final chance but it's not a game I can see me replay much in the future, unlike the first game. :shobon:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Farbtoner posted:

Aside from passive augs and unique weapons, the weapon mods were the one thing I thought that IW did right.

This is why you should never play without Biomod, because Shifters cannibalises the unique weapons and Biomod cannibalises the passive augs.

Apart from the tiny areas, IW isn't that bad a game - most of the rap it gets is for not being as good as Deus Ex, because it had the DX name. If it hadn't had the plot links to Deus Ex or the Deus Ex name and had been sold as something entirely different, you'd see people lauding it as "a lot like Deus Ex, but not as good."

Also, you bastards have made me reinstall Deus Ex.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This is why you should never play without Biomod, because Shifters cannibalises the unique weapons and Biomod cannibalises the passive augs.

Apart from the tiny areas, IW isn't that bad a game - most of the rap it gets is for not being as good as Deus Ex, because it had the DX name. If it hadn't had the plot links to Deus Ex or the Deus Ex name and had been sold as something entirely different, you'd see people lauding it as "a lot like Deus Ex, but not as good."

Also, you bastards have made me reinstall Deus Ex.

My problem with IW was that I could never stand the "load - minimize - reopen - load" cycle on the PC. And it happens so frequently that I just didn't think it was worth it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It wasn't load minimise reopen, it was load close reopen. This was why, for example, the difficulty wouldn't stick in Thief 3.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It wasn't load minimise reopen, it was load close reopen. This was why, for example, the difficulty wouldn't stick in Thief 3.

Now that you mention it. Does Invisible War suffer from the same bug? I'm not really sure if there is any way to check what difficulty you are on during gameplay so I have to admit I'm curious if the difficulty defaults to Normal as soon as you enter a loading screen.

Spanrah
May 6, 2006
These are small, Those are far away
From Reddit, but thought everyone would be interested in this flowchart of the options available to you in Hell's Kitchen.

Really interesting stuff!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Basic Beater posted:

Use whatever you think is necessary. You can't gently caress yourself over, and its impossible to get stuck.
Is this really true?

For example:

In the room where you have to unlock Jock's helicopter, I was almost certainly one LAM away from not being able to open the area to unlock the helicopter in the area across the hall from it. What was I missing that would have saved me if I had used the LAM elsewhere?

I also seem to be stuck now in a corridor that I can't get out of the way I came, and where radiation will kill me instantly if I exit through either of two paths out, even with a hazard suit and level 2 hazard protection implant.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 16, 2011

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
All the doors in the MJ12 helipad in Hong Kong have keys or some other way to open them, you shouldn't have to blow anything up.

If you're stuck you are almost assuredly Doing It Wrong. What corridor are you in?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

All the doors in the MJ12 helipad in Hong Kong have keys or some other way to open them, you shouldn't have to blow anything up.

If you're stuck you are almost assuredly Doing It Wrong. What corridor are you in?

Beginning of Paris, corridor under the elevator. I passed it by loading a save where I had more health. If you can think of a way to get through the radiation room with 10 health, let me know. I unlocked the vent at the end so I'd only have to travel a short distance, used a hazard suit, and the hazard aug+heart aug, and the radiation would still do enough damage to kill me in about a second.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 16, 2011

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Okay, I guess in that scenario you would be stuck. I thought you could just jump back on the ladder but now that I've checked I guess you need the speed aug, so you'd be stuck if you didn't have that. Theoretically though, you could get stuck like that at any point in the game if you run out of medical supplies and get low on health.

That said, the entire game has been beaten with no augs or items used so there's always a way to get by even if you've squandered all your resources.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Dominoes posted:

Is this really true?

For example:

In the room where you have to unlock Jock's helicopter, I was almost certainly one LAM away from not being able to open the area to unlock the helicopter in the area across the hall from it. What was I missing that would have saved me if I had used the LAM elsewhere?

I also seem to be stuck now in a corridor that I can't get out of the way I came, and where radiation will kill me instantly if I exit through either of two paths out, even with a hazard suit and level 2 hazard protection implant.

You mean opening access to the lift on the Hong Kong heli platform? Jock always takes care of that for me.

One area I think you really could get stuck is in the Canal Road tunnel. If you don't have the speed aug you can hop over the barrier using a crate, but there aren't any crates on the other side of the barrier.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Underflow posted:

You mean opening access to the lift on the Hong Kong heli platform? Jock always takes care of that for me.

One area I think you really could get stuck is in the Canal Road tunnel. If you don't have the speed aug you can hop over the barrier using a crate, but there aren't any crates on the other side of the barrier.
In the helipad, there are 2 somethings in the helipad... 1 and 2. You need to blow or pick open a panel in something 1 to get access to one of several lockers that has a datacube that has the key to something 1. I may have missed something though, but I thought I explored the whole area thoroughly and checked all bodies.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 16, 2011

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Dominoes posted:

In the helipad, there are 2 somethings in the helipad... 1 and 2. You need to blow or pick open a panel in something 1 to get access to one of several lockers that has a datacube that has the key to something 1. I may have missed something though, but I thought I explored the whole area thoroughly and checked all bodies.

I think you missed something to get to 1... 2's easy after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Underflow posted:

I think you missed something to get to 1... 2's easy after that.
Easy if you have a pair of lockpicks or a LAM to open the stash in it.

I think it's fine you can get stuck - it forces you to be more careful; I'm addressing that the OP saying you can't get stuck isn't always true.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 16, 2011