Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Bo-Pepper posted:

I went to one store and the intro Games Workshop paint set was like $30 plus dollars. Am I crazy for thinking that seems pricey for what I want?

GW paint is ridiculously priced, but it's the most available. You might do better with buying Vallejo or P3 paint, but you might have to go online. How do you want to paint your guys? We can try and find a good set of colors to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

GW paint is ridiculously priced, but it's the most available. You might do better with buying Vallejo or P3 paint, but you might have to go online. How do you want to paint your guys? We can try and find a good set of colors to start with.

I'm fine going online. I figured that's what I'd do.

I don't necessarily have a color scheme yet. I figured my palette would be limited. As long as the teams are easy to tell apart. Otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
P3 makes paint sets that come out pretty cheap (about $15 for 6 paints):

http://www.thewarstore.com/P3PaintBoxes.html

The Bloodbowl starter is Humans and Orcs, right? Getting the Protectorate and the Mercenaries sets would do pretty well, giving you distinct colors (green/brown for the orcs, red/white for the humans). You'll also be getting a pot of Menoth White Highlight, which is about the best paint out there for mixing highlights.

To round it out you should get a black, a skin tone (GW Tallarn Flesh is great), a metal (GW Mythril Silver is the best), and a black and brown wash (GW Badab Black and Gryphonne Sepia are also excellent).

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

SRM posted:

Xeno filth? Not on my watch

Looking great here, SRM :buddy:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

dishwasherlove posted:

Fryband what blue are you using for that Stompa, because its going on my Epic orks. Can't wait to start painting 6mm.

It's Enchanted Blue. Accept no substitutes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fyrbrand posted:

It's Enchanted Blue. Accept no substitutes.

Quoting for authority.
Been lovin the stuff since the coat d'arms hex-fliptops.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh poo poo?

I have no idea if Simple Green is available in Canada.

Simple Green is available in Canada as of recently, check Walmart and Canadian Tire. Alternatively you could get Super Clean Engine De-greaser instead.

Super Clean Engine De-greaser is formerly a Castrol product. You wear gloves while scrubbing it, this stuff is somewhat caustic; but it is safe to put down the drain and won't harm the plastic.

http://www.superclean.com/products and just use it.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 12, 2011

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bo-Pepper posted:

I went to one store and the intro Games Workshop paint set was like $30 plus dollars. Am I crazy for thinking that seems pricey for what I want?

You are crazy if you think any part of this won't be more expensive than you expected going in.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

thespaceinvader posted:

Can anyone suggest a decent UK vendor for brushes for someone who's not yet sure of his skill, and for whom it's definitely not yet worth investing in Winsor and Newton?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a Hobbycraft nearby? If so they sell the Pro-Arte range of brushes which come in miniature brush sizes for a reasonable price. Just grab a 000 or a suitably small one, and a 2-3 for basecoating. They do sell W&N 7's too if you're feeling ready to upgrade. I think I paid about £8 for the W&N 000 and £4 for the Pro-Arte size 3.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
http://www.rosemaryandco.com is also a decent option for brushes if you're in the UK. Her Series 33 range is excellent and relatively cheap: around £3-4/brush for appropriate warham sizes. The website looks a bit amateur, but I didn't have any trouble with my order and it arrived quickly.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Real hurthling! posted:

http://store.privateerpress.com/hammerfallhighshieldguncorpsgunmanshield1.aspx

not plastic, but only .75 cents each and there a bunch of variants.

http://store.privateerpress.com/assaultkommandosshield.aspx

I really like the assault kommando shields, all you have to do is shave off the Khador Swastika

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Some new stuff I painted. Frogs are pretty cool and more companies should make them.

Thrullg is not a frog but I painted him like one.

Totem Hunter is not a frog either but he can jump at least.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Minions really are treated with some of the best models that PP have to offer.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Oh man those blue frogs are so $$$$ :frogsiren:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Arlaharen posted:

Finally got my tutorial for gatorskin up on Handcannon online for those interested.

got a posse in the mail the other day, assembling it now.

will likely be making use of this soon, thanks a bunch.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
A question for anyone who's bought Dragonforge bases:

I placed an order on 6/8 and aside from the PayPal confirmation, I haven't heard anything from them. Do they normally send emails when orders have been placed/shipped?

I'll shoot them an email tomorrow if I don't hear anything, I was just curious.

Also, you people with really nice bases, how do yo put your models on? Are you pinning the feet, and drilling a hole in the base?

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006

Inverse Icarus posted:

I really like the shading in your greens. How did you do it?

To be honest, I can't really remember. I think it was a base of VMC Camo Green, then washed down with VGC Dark Green. Mix VGC dark green with VMC Black for the final shade. Then I'm pretty sure there was only one highlight, being VMC Camo Green mixed with VMC Pale Sand.

Started painting my Skorne Paingiver Taskmaster:

For some reasons the pictures really flatten the red. There are two layers of highlights you totally don't see. I was really proud of that too :(

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Decided to finish some rhino's I had laying around since I'm waiting for primer for the airbrush for a few days.

Need to add iconography still and some touch ups but I am very happy for the most part. I do seem to be getting fine mists of color on places I don't really want it, aside from changing to a solid color (in retrospect hawk-lords might have been a less painful option) what can I do to control the airbrush paint that seems to be escaping?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

My girlfriend wants to use Oranges and Greens in her painting for her Seaforge Merc Army. I figured an easy solution is to make all the Orgun look like Hobgoblins.

They could have orange skin, even bright orange skin, and it would probably be alright. Contrasted with dark greens in their clothes, I think it could look pretty awesome.

These are the paints I own that I could see mixing to get a Hobgoblin fleshtone. Any suggestions?

I'm also taking suggestions on how to paint the Dwarves Merc jacks to compliment these. Her favorite colors are orange/green (obviously), so I'd like to come up with interesting ideas about how the colors could be used on jacks without an overpowering "this is a giant neon orange robot with a drill on it."

edit: apparently one of their orgun actually has this color scheme:

That looks slick. Suggestions for color matching? (I'm terrible at mixing and eyeballing color)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Decided to finish some rhino's I had laying around since I'm waiting for primer for the airbrush for a few days.

Need to add iconography still and some touch ups but I am very happy for the most part. I do seem to be getting fine mists of color on places I don't really want it, aside from changing to a solid color (in retrospect hawk-lords might have been a less painful option) what can I do to control the airbrush paint that seems to be escaping?

Tamiya model masking tape. Use something with a rubber tip to press it down into the corners and nooks. Colour shapers are good for this.
Always mask the entire area you do not want painted.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Inverse Icarus posted:

words and pics

Ember orange and sepia wash for flesh, thrall flesh and devlan for the green cloth.

If you want to get real fancy go back with the original color and highlight the raised areas.

The flesh will end up pretty orangey this way though.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Inverse Icarus posted:

I placed an order on 6/8 and aside from the PayPal confirmation, I haven't heard anything from them. Do they normally send emails when orders have been placed/shipped?

Also, you people with really nice bases, how do yo put your models on? Are you pinning the feet, and drilling a hole in the base?

You don't get anything other than the Paypal message. I just received some bases from them exactly a week after I placed the initial order (Friday to Friday).

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Inverse Icarus posted:

I was just looking for bases and Dragonforge has a big notice that said they are currently processing June 3-5th. Looks like they're catching up on back orders. Let us know when you get them in. I'm looking to put a small army on some fancy bases and I liked Dragonforge the best.

I pin the feet the the base.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Tamiya model masking tape. Use something with a rubber tip to press it down into the corners and nooks. Colour shapers are good for this.
Always mask the entire area you do not want painted.

Tried this about an hour ago without reading your post, used some paper and a ton of tape but the result was perfect, also found its a better idea to colors that are harder to paint over last then just have to do touch up work after.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Some more Sternguard finished:

Starting to take much better picture too. Liking this squad! I have some GKs incoming I'm exciting about using to outfit some more.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Bo-Pepper posted:

I'm fine going online. I figured that's what I'd do.

I don't necessarily have a color scheme yet. I figured my palette would be limited. As long as the teams are easy to tell apart. Otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

The army painter makes some nice stuff for a beginner IMO, with: http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=tap_hob_wpt_ess_102_000&cur=usd giving you all you need to start painting. While it costs the same as the GW kit you were afraid of, it comes with more paints, a brush and primer. Also http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=tap_hob_bat_ess_101_000 if you want a simple basing kit.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Inverse Icarus posted:

I'm also taking suggestions on how to paint the Dwarves Merc jacks to compliment these. Her favorite colors are orange/green (obviously), so I'd like to come up with interesting ideas about how the colors could be used on jacks without an overpowering "this is a giant neon orange robot with a drill on it."

It maybe slightly cliched, but you could use orange/black hazard stripes (instead of yellow/black).

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

TastyAvocado posted:

Some more Sternguard finished:

Starting to take much better picture too. Liking this squad! I have some GKs incoming I'm exciting about using to outfit some more.

Looking fantastic. Out of curiosity, how're you doing your gold?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Basically just tin bitz/shining gold/devlan mud/burnished gold.

The metallics look better in real life than the pictures, I haven't figured out how to photograph metallics at all.

Demiurge
May 29, 2008

Mining for the Greater Good.
Anyone have a spare LR engine I can pick up? I want to try that fancy Battlesuit conversion I keep seeing where you bulk up the leggings
ie:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That is one of the best Tau paintjobs I've seen. Where did you find it ?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

richyp posted:

Do you have a Hobbycraft nearby? If so they sell the Pro-Arte range of brushes which come in miniature brush sizes for a reasonable price. Just grab a 000 or a suitably small one, and a 2-3 for basecoating. They do sell W&N 7's too if you're feeling ready to upgrade. I think I paid about £8 for the W&N 000 and £4 for the Pro-Arte size 3.

quote:

http://www.rosemaryandco.com is also a decent option for brushes if you're in the UK. Her Series 33 range is excellent and relatively cheap: around £3-4/brush for appropriate warham sizes. The website looks a bit amateur, but I didn't have any trouble with my order and it arrived quickly.

Thanks - though, for some reason, I had it in my head that W&N brushes were 5 to 10 times that price. For under a tenner, I'd probably go for the best.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Thanks - though, for some reason, I had it in my head that W&N brushes were 5 to 10 times that price. For under a tenner, I'd probably go for the best.

With how long they keep a point they're probably cheaper in the long run unless maybe you treat your bad brushes excellently.

Edit: as an example, I got a series 7 size 1 before the marine army I'm doing currently which I use for absolutely everything except for base coating, it's still basically as good as new after the ~100 hours I've used it so far.

TastyAvocado fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 13, 2011

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Good god man I can't imagine painting an army with only a size 1.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Cross-posting from the 40k thread because I'm an attention whore and really proud of how this guy is turning out. Also pretty much painted with just a 0 and a 000 brush, because I like pain.

Yesterday I picked up my first "Finecast model". After a few hours of messing about trying to remember a few painting tricks I made a start on him. To make life harder on myself I had no black primer so I started from a can of white I found buried in the garage.

I'm really happy with how he's progressing and think its my favourite piece of painting I've done, so I guess taking an 8 month break paid off.

Apart from the raven, staff and making a nice base that's what he'll look like when finished. Now I need to find my camera charger as this is the only picture I could take before the battery finally died.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That is one of the best Tau paintjobs I've seen. Where did you find it ?

I'm guessing it's Kai'lore from Advanced Tau Tactica. Quite a few fantastic project logs for Tau on that site.

Demiurge
May 29, 2008

Mining for the Greater Good.

Chenghiz posted:

I'm guessing it's Kai'lore from Advanced Tau Tactica. Quite a few fantastic project logs for Tau on that site.

I know him as Sebastian Stuart from his blog, but Chenghiz is probably right about his ATT username. Most of his work is on Advanced Tau Tactica, or on his website here: http://eastern-empire.com/

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Finished

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
god drat it.
stop being so talented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Had to load IE to see the picture. Looks great!

Anyone know why Firefox 4 might not be loading pictures correctly here? I don't have any scripts running that would block it.

• Locked thread