Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Do what I (was told to do by goons here) did. Go on Craigslist or equivalent and find somebody unloading darkroom stuff - you don't need an enlarger, paper, a safelight, and some other things if you're not making prints at home. There's a list somewhere in this thread of what you need, I'm too lazy to find it so I'll just repost what Pompus Rhombus and PaulMaudDib told me. Basically, you need a tank, at least one reel, some chemicals and a way to measure those chemicals (i.e. graduated cylinders or similar). I was lucky enough to pick up an unused-but-opened starter kit plus a set of small bottles of chemicals for $50 - find a person whose photography hobby has moved away from chemicals and fussing around due to the sudden appearance of small children in their life.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If you're doing it on the cheap, the best way is to find someone on Craigslist unloading their whole setup. Otherwise:

Developing tank : I've got a two-reel AP tank. Should run you $15-25 used
Thermometer: $10 or so, I use one like this
Timer: you can use your phone, laptop, or whatever, I prefer a digital kitchen timer.
Stuff for measuring: I have a 1L measuring cup I got from Walmart for a couple of bucks. For measuring developer (small quantities) I scored a couple of syringes off a nurse, they're easy enough to find on eBay.
Containers: I use a regular milk gallon jug for my fixer, ideally the accordion type bottles that let you squeeze excess air out are what you want.
Bottle opener for opening cannisters of film

Developer: HC-110 is pretty popular around here, because it can be used at high dilutions (I do Dil H, which is 1:63) and lasts forever as a concentrate. It took me about a year to get through my first bottle of it.
Fixer: mix from powder, use for around 6 months. Re-useable, don't pour down the drain.
Wetting agent/Photoflo: For after you rinse, keeps crap from staying on the film as it dries.

Something to hang the film from as it dries. I bought a pair of suction cups with hooks at Walmart and strung up a line between them, use clothespins or binder clips to hold the film.

I could be missing something, this was just off the top of my head. It's pretty straightforward, but definitely don't use pictures you care about the first couple of rolls. I got a friend of mine into film when he visited a few weeks ago, was talking with him on FB this afternoon and said he he bought all the stuff and screwed up his first roll just a few days ago Temperature isn't *critical* for B&W the way it is for color, but you do need to be in the ballpark.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Developing by hand isn't hard. You'll need:

-Developing Tank #5041
-Stop Bath #10145 (optional, you can use water too)
-Fixer #16241
-Hardener #62344
-Hypo Wash #12311
-Photo Flo/wetting agent #6170
-35mm negative sleeves #71357
-120 negative sleeves #120325

-Choice of developers, I recommend:
--Kodak HC-110 # 1408988
--Rodinal/Compard R09 #9725
--Microdol-X/Mic-X #749710

-A piece of hose you can attach to your sink, stick it down the middle of the tank and it's a washer
-Clothespins
-Bottle opener
-Baby syringe for measuring small volumes of liquid (try Walmart)

All these are part numbers for Freestyle Photo. When possible I would get liquids over powder, you can make smaller batches with liquids. I also recommend getting some Arista Premium 400 and LegacyPro 100 film, it's rebranded Kodak Tri-X and Fuji Acros respectively. If you want 120 film you have to buy the name brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Mannequin posted:

At some point I'll give Dwayne's a shot and see how they compare. The scan sizes are the same for both companies.

They're decent, not the best but they are really really cheap. Their dimensions are a bit misleading as the scans I got from another lab seem much sharper.

Some full size comparisons:
Dwaynes - Olympus XA - Kodak Gold 200
Photoworks - Olympus XA - Kodak Gold 200

Dwaynes - Minolta srT201 - Kodak Gold 200
Photoworks - Minolta srT201 - Fuji s400

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Man_alive posted:

I have some Kodak Tri-X on the way. When it comes to actually getting this developed, am I able to take this to a normal lab (say, my local camera shop) and get it developed? Or is it a little more complex than that?

Do it yourself, see the million and one posts here for info (and the quotes above). It's actually pretty expensive to get b&w done at a lab even compared to color. Plus it's way more rewarding to do it yourself. Eventually if you really get into it you won't want anyone else to do it for you. Then you get into printing....

gib
Jul 14, 2004
I am probably Lowtax

CarrotFlowers posted:

I just got back a roll of Kodak Gold that I shot this weekend, and I have a question: there seems to be a wide array of contrasts/saturation on the same roll. For example, the two shots below. The one of my sister and her dog is super clear and the colours are quite vibrant, but the one of the treeline is very dull and looks washed out. Did I just underexpose it? Was it a developing issue? What can I watch out for next time to avoid this?

Exposure issues could be part of it, but I think the lab scanners basically do an "auto-correct" on each jpeg they pump out as well. If you have dark silhouetted areas like those trees it could assume you underexposed and want to pull detail out of them so it will make your blacks look muddy.

mysticp posted:

Take notes on every shot you take. It seems like a pain, but that is how you can look back on shots and figure out how to improve them.

This is very good advice. Some cameras can remember your settings for later downloading (EOS 1V) or imprint them on the edge of the film (Fuji GA645 series).

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
At the advice of a friend I've been trying Fomapan 400 in 120, stand developed in Rodinal 1:100. Really liking the results so far.

img002-2.jpg by Bobsledboy, on Flickr

img002.jpg by Bobsledboy, on Flickr

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

TheLastManStanding posted:

They're decent, not the best but they are really really cheap. Their dimensions are a bit misleading as the scans I got from another lab seem much sharper.

Some full size comparisons:
Dwaynes - Olympus XA - Kodak Gold 200
Photoworks - Olympus XA - Kodak Gold 200

Dwaynes - Minolta srT201 - Kodak Gold 200
Photoworks - Minolta srT201 - Fuji s400

I really don't like the noise reduction Dwayne's does, it creates an ugly watercolour effect in slightly unfocused areas, like the distant houses in the first picture and in the grass in the background on the second.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

gib posted:

Exposure issues could be part of it, but I think the lab scanners basically do an "auto-correct" on each jpeg they pump out as well. If you have dark silhouetted areas like those trees it could assume you underexposed and want to pull detail out of them so it will make your blacks look muddy.

This is very good advice. Some cameras can remember your settings for later downloading (EOS 1V) or imprint them on the edge of the film (Fuji GA645 series).

I'll start bringing a notepad with me. Seems like good advice.

Maybe in a few months when I'm more comfortable with film and stuff I'll start trying to develop and scan my own. Doesn't seem like it's too too expensive, but I should probably wait until I know I want to commit to film a bit more, I think.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Hell, you can even DIY a changing bag out of a few black garbage bags. Put a small cardboard box in a garbage bag, then put that bag into another bag and layer enough of them that the plastic is really not translucent anymore, then put all your stuff inside and pin the bag closed with clothespins, leaving only two holes for your hands. It helps if you turn out the lights in whatever room you're working just because it's not as sealable as a regular changing bag.

I did this for like half a year before I bought a changing bag with no ill effects. I'd go so far as to say that it was actually more roomy and enjoyable to use than the changing bag I ended up buying.
This works but be careful if you use garbage bags on a dry day. They'll build up a static charge and sparks can expose your film and make it look like a light leak.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
apparently reddit thinks that nobody shoots film anymore because there are very few "working photographers" who use film, and the guy who says that used to work at a place that taught law enforcement photography that stopped teaching how to develop film years ago

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

atomicthumbs posted:

apparently reddit thinks that nobody shoots film anymore because there are very few "working photographers" who use film, and the guy who says that used to work at a place that taught law enforcement photography that stopped teaching how to develop film years ago

That is just sad to read :(

quote:

Hey man I don't know about you but I always use film in my cameras.

What? So what if I only watch VHS, what's that supposed to mean?

quote:

Careful, agitate him and he may lash out with his mobile phone. It weighs 5kg and comes in a suitcase.

At least this one was good

quote:

Ken Rockwell couldn't find his rear end in the dark, but Velvia 50 is awesome.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sevn posted:

At least this one was good

That was me :)

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
"Couldn't find his ASA in the dark" would have owned bones though bro. Totes bones. Jelly? :shepface:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'm gelatin

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

atomicthumbs posted:

Just show them this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M7rSayb05M

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

atomicthumbs posted:

To be fair, it's really hard to do high-throughput film shooting, so studios, photojournalists, and sports shooters who shoot many images a day or need quick turnaround have very justifiably gone to digital. The thing is, your average person doesn't really see much art, and when they do it's likely these photographers or their cousin using their p+s.

Artists still use film for the "look" or technical factors, and could care less about anything else. Is there much of a quality difference between (scanned) medium format and decent DSLR gear? Probably not, but no one demands watercolors die out because oil paints are around or whatever. It's just another medium, and it's one that still has a lot of advantages in image quality, cost, and in practical terms. But your mother doesn't care about depth of field, she wants her vacation pictures to turn out, and that's the extent of her photographic knowledge.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 11, 2011

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Wow, have none of those guys ever heard of art photographers?

When you see photos in a gallery, a lot of them are taken with medium format or view cameras, jeez. "Photographers" aren't just fat guys with a DSLR shooting weddings and events.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Slightly unrelated, but now that Blu-Ray is a big thing they're going back and remastering old titles. I've heard that counterintuitively, titles shot on film look a lot better in HD than titles shot digitally. Advances in scanner technology let us go back and pull a lot more information off the film than we could 10 years ago, whereas with digital the pixels you have are it. I don't have a source for it, though.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Rednik posted:

Wow, have none of those guys ever heard of art photographers?

Or hipsters.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I was just in lake tahoe and went to the only photo shop they had around and asked if they had any 120 film. The guy looked at me funny and asked if I was going to use it for a Holga. I said no. He then asked if I was a professional. I said no.

He ended up having a bunch of expired 160S (for $1/roll!!) which he didn't want to sell if I was shooting professionally and he said he hated hipster photography. Explaining I was going to film while the old pros shed their MF stuff made him a bit nostalgic for film, too, I guess.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I just found a few old old rolls of 400 speed Signature Color film at my parent's house. I don't think it's c-41, it says you have to mail it to Austin, TX for processing. Is this worth shooting or is it like the Seattle Film Works movie film which is more trouble than it's worth?

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007

spf3million posted:

I just found a few old old rolls of 400 speed Signature Color film at my parent's house. I don't think it's c-41, it says you have to mail it to Austin, TX for processing. Is this worth shooting or is it like the Seattle Film Works movie film which is more trouble than it's worth?

These guys will develop, scan, and print for the low, low price of only $42.50. For one roll. That's probably extreme, but I think it gets the point across.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

snuffles posted:

These guys will develop, scan, and print for the low, low price of only $42.50. For one roll. That's probably extreme, but I think it gets the point across.

quote:

Service Time

This film is processed on a volume basis, so turn around time varies. Please allow between six and twelve months for return.
:pwn:

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

snuffles posted:

They're also scammers. Google "rocky mountain film lab" and you'll get tons of stories from people who sent them money, waited years, and never got anything back.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
What about cross-processing it, in C-41 or E-6 or some other non-horribly-rare chemistry? It's old, weird film anyways, a bit more oddity from chemicals it wasn't designed for won't hurt too much, will it? I am utterly unfamiliar with Signature Color though, so I could be completely wrong on this.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

What about cross-processing it, in C-41 or E-6 or some other non-horribly-rare chemistry? It's old, weird film anyways, a bit more oddity from chemicals it wasn't designed for won't hurt too much, will it? I am utterly unfamiliar with Signature Color though, so I could be completely wrong on this.

As a bathroom one-shot development maybe, but I remember someone talking about movie film stock here earlier: They have some special backing layer that can make a bad mess of machine developers. You probably also don't want the backing stuff into a replenished developer.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

There's also Film Rescue International, though I can't say anything about their services because I haven't used them.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
Finally got everything I need to start doing my own black and white at home... EXCEPT the tank/reels...

Was in Nagoya last weekend and big camera store had a nice selection of tanks, but zero reels for any of them. I will be there again next weekend and they have a nice stainless steel tank which can fit 4x35 or 2x120 that I would like to buy.

Are reels fairly mix and match? Can I safely pick up that tank and then find some reels somewhere else online?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Does anyone know of a good reference book on making RA-4 prints? Figured I'd ask here instead of the print thread as it's a bit more faster-moving.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Finally got everything I need to start doing my own black and white at home... EXCEPT the tank/reels...

Was in Nagoya last weekend and big camera store had a nice selection of tanks, but zero reels for any of them. I will be there again next weekend and they have a nice stainless steel tank which can fit 4x35 or 2x120 that I would like to buy.

Are reels fairly mix and match? Can I safely pick up that tank and then find some reels somewhere else online?

I can't say with experience, but I've been doing research because I have paterson reels and they are a rubbish design (for 120, a bit better for 135) and I want to replace them. It seems that most plastic reels go with most plastic tanks (I haven't looked at SS).

Also, buy a paterson tank by all means, but get reels with a wide loading flange like the AP photo ones. Note the lumps on the side, and compare with the paterson ones with just the tiny 2mm triangle of plastic. These suck for 120 film. These reels are supposedly interchangeable with tanks

The clone brands are of one or the other style, and should also work with either brand tank.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

The only stainless steal reels I've seen in Japan are made by LPL and they are every where. I'd wager that the tanks you have seen are made by the same company. I'm not sure about compatibility between systems, but everything does look similar to the Hewes' products. Disclaimer: I have never handled Hewes product.

Also, if it is the LPL tank you are looking at, it can easily fit 2x120 + 1x135. I've only done that once, but it didn't seem to have an adverse effect on developing.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

Captain Postal posted:

Also, buy a paterson tank by all means, but get reels with a wide loading flange like the AP photo ones. Note the lumps on the side, and compare with the paterson ones with just the tiny 2mm triangle of plastic. These suck for 120 film. These reels are supposedly interchangeable with tanks

You did practice with the things first before trying to use them? I basically started on my own with only advice from the internet, Paterson reels, and had no problem loading them with 120(thanks sacrificial HP5 roll.) They're not that bad in my experience.

If it helps I found feeding it through one ball bearing at a time (ie I stagger the loading flanges from each other,) really helps me and pulling the front of the film completely around the first spiral really helps me.

Ferris Bueller fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 14, 2011

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Ferris Bueller posted:

Has anyone used any of the Pyro developers? Just wondering what your experience with them was/is? The film I'll be using is Neopan Acros in 120mm flavor.
I'm going to Italy in a week and I'm going to cook up a batch of pyrocat-hd for the first time when I get back. I just got 20 rolls of Acros 120 for the trip.

So in about 6-8 weeks I'll let you know how it goes

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

notlodar posted:

I'm going to Italy in a week and I'm going to cook up a batch of pyrocat-hd for the first time when I get back. I just got 20 rolls of Acros 120 for the trip.

So in about 6-8 weeks I'll let you know how it goes

Looking forward to it. I may just do it for my trip as well, drat the torpedoes, full speed ahead and all that.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

:buddy:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pwn posted:

My local lab doesn't even charge for developing colour neg film, just for scanning. For a $4 I get development and a CD or thumbdrive of scans at whatever resolution I ask. I typically ask for 6 MP scans (3000x2000.) Pick up the Yellow Pages and let your fingers do the walking.
Just FYI I now hate your guts.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

evil_bunnY posted:

Just FYI I now hate your guts.

no kidding

my two options are $4.50 for dev and CD with grainy, oversharpened 2MP files (wal-mart)

-or-

$14.50 for dev and decent quality scan @ 4MP (still only ~800kb files wtf)

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Recommend me a cheap color film (preferably negative).

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Suicide Watch posted:

Ektar 100. I love the colours but the range is so-so for a negative film.

img005 by Moist_von_Lipwig, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Ektar 100. I love the colours but the range is so-so for a negative film.

img005 by Moist_von_Lipwig, on Flickr

I like the colors but it definitely feels a bit red-ish. Are there any other films that I should try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Suicide Watch posted:

Reala 100 is great for slow film, Porra 400 (no VC or NC) is the new go-to for fast film.