Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Has anyone ever built their own cabinet? My uncle gave me his old 4x12 that he built out of plywood back in the 70's but the thing is gigantic; the speakers are spaced way too far apart and I can't even fit it in the trunk of my car and have the trunk closed. Are there build-guides online for 2x12 and 1x12 cabs? I already took one of the speakers and put it in my Blackheart, so now I have 3 Greenbacks without a proper home, and I'm thinking this might be a great project for my Grandpa and I to spend time together working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
It really is an uncanny resemblance for someone who isn't doing it on purpose. It's not just the sound, it's the words and unique pausing.

That being said, I still really want a Dr. Z now. Gramps seems to agree, though, so. Well, someday when I get some cash.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Handen posted:

Has anyone ever built their own cabinet? My uncle gave me his old 4x12 that he built out of plywood back in the 70's but the thing is gigantic; the speakers are spaced way too far apart and I can't even fit it in the trunk of my car and have the trunk closed. Are there build-guides online for 2x12 and 1x12 cabs? I already took one of the speakers and put it in my Blackheart, so now I have 3 Greenbacks without a proper home, and I'm thinking this might be a great project for my Grandpa and I to spend time together working on.

The closest thing I could find without getting crazy with Google was this:

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/copy_cabinets.html

These guys also make some kits, which would be the less time-intensive route:

http://www.mojotone.com/cabinets

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I have an old Ampeg B3-158B combo amp that's been toured with, beat to poo poo and sparked once when I switched it on about a year ago. It has a 15" and 8" speaker. How hard would it be to build or buy empty bass cabinets and drop these speakers in their respective cabs?

On a related note, I have a [url]http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2261&sid=610&cid=95]Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 combo with an 8" speaker[/url] and on the back of the head there is a 1/4" out and a Speakon out. Can I keep the combo speaker plugged into the 1/4" out and plug an extension cab into the Speakon out?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Noise Machine posted:

I have an old Ampeg B3-158B combo amp that's been toured with, beat to poo poo and sparked once when I switched it on about a year ago. It has a 15" and 8" speaker. How hard would it be to build or buy empty bass cabinets and drop these speakers in their respective cabs?

On a related note, I have a [url]http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2261&sid=610&cid=95]Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 combo with an 8" speaker[/url] and on the back of the head there is a 1/4" out and a Speakon out. Can I keep the combo speaker plugged into the 1/4" out and plug an extension cab into the Speakon out?

You should be able to. That's how the Shuttle 6.0 combo works if you want to add an extension cabinet to it.

EDIT: If Musician's Friend is right about the combo cabinet being a 8 ohm speaker, you should definitely be okay using the Speakon for an extension cab as long as it's also 8 ohms.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 23, 2011

Zentrenched
Jun 7, 2005

It's all noise to me.

Warcabbit posted:

It really is an uncanny resemblance for someone who isn't doing it on purpose. It's not just the sound, it's the words and unique pausing.

Yeah, if the guy played it up a little and maybe threw in a couple of sly Tenacious D refrences, he could have great fun with it.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009

Handen posted:

I just built a Lopoline 112 cab using one of their kits:

Tools required included a drill, sander, nail gun, wood glue, and extra strength spray adhesive.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Zentrenched posted:

Sorry, is a guy called Eric Whorton, the Jack Black thing seems to be an urban legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gelDeT5MlTs&feature=related (around 1:36)

This too, from a quick google search:

"In the 'Den of the gearmanndude' video. The gearmanndude pans the camera over posters of acts he has recorded in his home studio. The most prominent of these is an 'El Roostars' poster. A band from Louisville, Kentucky. featuring 35 year old guitarist Eric WHORTON. Who loves Elvis and the Stones. Who posts videos on his band's youtube page of pedalboards from live gigs. Who can be seen in numerous videos playing in the very recognisable gearmanndude studio as well as filming his kids and grandparents in this studio".

Edit: Goon confirms it isn't Black here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2880432&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Also Jack Black is mainly an acoustic player, he had to learn how to play electric for the filming of School of Rock. :eng101:

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

burritonegro posted:

Those Tone Tubby alnicos are the poo poo. I have 2 in a tweed 2x12 that have sounded awesome pushed by multiple Fenders, a Marshall DSL 100, and a hiwatt 100. They're some of the most versatile and dynamic speakers.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I've never played with one extensively before so I'm crossing my fingers it was the right choice. It's currently hooked up to a Music Man RD 50.

Also, they should change their slogan to "Move Hemp Every Day" or something.

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

burritonegro posted:

I've never played with one extensively before so I'm crossing my fingers it was the right choice. It's currently hooked up to a Music Man RD 50.

Also, they should change their slogan to "Move Hemp Every Day" or something.

Give it some time to sound right. It may sound a bit muffled and stiff before you break it in.

That's a hilarious slogan also. It's so Californian.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Hows the Tiny Terror combo shape up as a practice amp for the lounge room of an apartment? I know I won't get the most out of it playing it at low volumes but I'm looking for something more substantial than the $100 Vox Pathfinder I'm using at this moment. It'll be used mostly with an SG and no effects, just overdrive channel. The lack of EQ or effects loop, etc doesn't bother me.

40sTheme
Oct 21, 2010

Pocket Billiards posted:

Hows the Tiny Terror combo shape up as a practice amp for the lounge room of an apartment? I know I won't get the most out of it playing it at low volumes but I'm looking for something more substantial than the $100 Vox Pathfinder I'm using at this moment. It'll be used mostly with an SG and no effects, just overdrive channel. The lack of EQ or effects loop, etc doesn't bother me.

I played one for the first time at my local music shop a couple months back on a rather crappy Epiphone, and was blown away by how awesome it is at getting that classic British crunch. Also, it's one of those amps that you can absolutely just plug a nice guitar into it, dial it to one spot, and let your fingers and guitar knobs do the rest of the work. If I had wanted that staple classic rock type sound, I would've bought it, but I wanted the brightness of my AC15.

e: Also, you can use it at relatively nice volumes. It's got a master volume and unlike a lot of amps, it plays nicely with the gain knob for the most part.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

40sTheme posted:

I played one for the first time at my local music shop a couple months back on a rather crappy Epiphone, and was blown away by how awesome it is at getting that classic British crunch. Also, it's one of those amps that you can absolutely just plug a nice guitar into it, dial it to one spot, and let your fingers and guitar knobs do the rest of the work. If I had wanted that staple classic rock type sound, I would've bought it, but I wanted the brightness of my AC15.

e: Also, you can use it at relatively nice volumes. It's got a master volume and unlike a lot of amps, it plays nicely with the gain knob for the most part.

Thanks, I haven't tried my SG through a Tiny Terror, but I did play it through an Orange Rocker 30 combo and I was very happy with the sound.

My Precious Violin Case
Aug 1, 2004

Is it gay that I want to see it?
I have a tiny terror and it's awesome for a band situation where I can turn it up (especially with an EQ pedal in front of it) but it's still a bit too loud for an apartment. It does have a master volume which is fine but the amp doesn't really get to shine. I recently got a Vox AC4 which is switchable between 1/4W, 1W and 4W and now I don't really use my tiny terror since I use a different amp for rehearsals. At 4W there's more than enough headroom for apartment levels and 1/4W cranked gives you great, low-volume tube overdrive.

I know it's hard to fight GAS when you have your heart set on an amp (especially when it's orange :allears:) but they make some very nice low wattage amps and you should consider what's best for your needs.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Matamp makes some of the most unique and weird sounding amps out there but I still really want to put in an order for one someday (and I already own a similar sounding Electric Amp). Here is a Matamp GTL doing what it does.. belting out a foggy, fuzzy bellow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppy0ruq1oBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppy0ruq1oBQ

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

My Precious Violin Case posted:

I have a tiny terror and it's awesome for a band situation where I can turn it up (especially with an EQ pedal in front of it) but it's still a bit too loud for an apartment. It does have a master volume which is fine but the amp doesn't really get to shine. I recently got a Vox AC4 which is switchable between 1/4W, 1W and 4W and now I don't really use my tiny terror since I use a different amp for rehearsals. At 4W there's more than enough headroom for apartment levels and 1/4W cranked gives you great, low-volume tube overdrive.

I know it's hard to fight GAS when you have your heart set on an amp (especially when it's orange :allears:) but they make some very nice low wattage amps and you should consider what's best for your needs.

Thanks.

Money is no real issue for me and I do have a hardon for the Orange stuff, which is why I'm looking at the Tiny Terror. Though I think a Marshall Class 5 or the Vox AC4 would be a better fit.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I was going to do some recording tonight, but I couldn't get any sound out of my Mesa. I turned it around to find one of the power tubes was cracked. Is this an easy fix? I'm still pretty new to tube amps. Should I just replace with standard Mesa tubes or is there anything more exciting?

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
I finally ordered a new set of tubes for my B52 tube amp, but I have a question. The amp had 5 12ax7 preamp tubes and 2 5881 wxt Sovtek power tubes. Since I'm replacing with the exact same model power tubes, biasing should be unnecessary right? Also I noticed one of the power tubes left a plastic stem in one of the tube sockets. It should be safe to pull that out with pliers I'm guessing?

pimpology 101
Aug 6, 2006
Pimpin' ain't easy.
I've been having issues with rattle on my Hot Rod Deluxe when I play a particular note, does this mean that one of the tubes have gone microphonic? I was thinking that might be the issue but I don't have any extra feedback occuring, as I have heard is common with microphonic tubes.
There is also the issue that one of the 12ax7's is missing the dampening foam that they put on the tubes, but I put a few rubber o-rings on it to dampen the vibrations, but it does not really help at louder volumes. Do I need to replace one or more of the tubes or is there anything else I can do to fix the issue?

40sTheme
Oct 21, 2010

Yarbald posted:

I was going to do some recording tonight, but I couldn't get any sound out of my Mesa. I turned it around to find one of the power tubes was cracked. Is this an easy fix? I'm still pretty new to tube amps. Should I just replace with standard Mesa tubes or is there anything more exciting?

I think you have to use Mesa tubes because they are set up on a fixed bias in the power section. Getting things that are out of spec on that could cause some serious issues.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
What's the story with attenuators? I don't crank my Music Man RD50 past 3, so should I buy one?

Grumbletweaser
Oct 11, 2004

My life has pretty much just been one long gimmick.

40sTheme posted:

I think you have to use Mesa tubes because they are set up on a fixed bias in the power section. Getting things that are out of spec on that could cause some serious issues.

That hasn't been my experience. I've used JJ and EHX tubes through my Mesa Dual Rectifier and been fine. As long as you get the tube type the amp is biased for, probably 6L6s in your case, you should be fine. I personally recommend JJs'.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

burritonegro posted:

What's the story with attenuators? I don't crank my Music Man RD50 past 3, so should I buy one?

It depends on how badly you're chasing that tone you get from seriously cranking your tube head. When you crank a tube head way the gently caress up it overdrives the tubes to an insane degree and the full tonal power is unlocked. You'll get more grit and dirt. They're worth getting for amps that don't have a master volume knob if that's important to you (which it should be).

I have a Sound City 120 that has a MV knob and there's a huge change in tone when I crank the dirty channel all the way to 10 and then pull it back with the MV knob.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah I've gone through a few tube amps with Master Volumes and I know what to expect in terms of breakup, but since this is the first amp I've owned without a Master Volume, I've never tried using an attenuator. My question is not just should I buy one, but what should I look for in one?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Grumbletweaser posted:

That hasn't been my experience. I've used JJ and EHX tubes through my Mesa Dual Rectifier and been fine. As long as you get the tube type the amp is biased for, probably 6L6s in your case, you should be fine. I personally recommend JJs'.

Yeah, I just put a couple Groove Tubes 6L6s in and it sounds better than ever.

sleep
Mar 30, 2005
hello.

Sirius Sam posted:

It depends on how badly you're chasing that tone you get from seriously cranking your tube head. When you crank a tube head way the gently caress up it overdrives the tubes to an insane degree and the full tonal power is unlocked. You'll get more grit and dirt. They're worth getting for amps that don't have a master volume knob if that's important to you (which it should be).

I have a Sound City 120 that has a MV knob and there's a huge change in tone when I crank the dirty channel all the way to 10 and then pull it back with the MV knob.

Actually, they're worth getting for amps that have master volume knobs as well, as lowering the master volume knob means you're not getting power tube saturation, which an attenuator will help you get.

sleep
Mar 30, 2005
hello.

burritonegro posted:

Yeah I've gone through a few tube amps with Master Volumes and I know what to expect in terms of breakup, but since this is the first amp I've owned without a Master Volume, I've never tried using an attenuator. My question is not just should I buy one, but what should I look for in one?

There's not much more to it than the level of attenuation you're going for as well as it being compatible with your speakers. Some cut the power down to 1/4, and some go all the way down to 1/10. Some have a lot of options when it comes to ohms and watts and some don't. If you're sure that you're going to stick with the amp you've got now, you can choose one that matches it perfectly instead of buying one that can do everything, and save some money.

sleep fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 16, 2011

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Yarbald posted:

Yeah, I just put a couple Groove Tubes 6L6s in and it sounds better than ever.

Don't spend the money on Groove Tubes. I have pulled multiple sets out of old amps that have just had a GT logo painted over a Sovtek logo. Just buy Russian made Sovteks.

sleep
Mar 30, 2005
hello.

HollisBrown posted:

Don't spend the money on Groove Tubes. I have pulled multiple sets out of old amps that have just had a GT logo painted over a Sovtek logo. Just buy Russian made Sovteks.

Sovtek do not match their tubes in quartets at the factory, so you'll have to either do it yourself, or get someone else to do it, because your tubes will wear out really fast if they aren't matched, or at best non-matched tubes will leave you with a hard job rebiasing your amp. Groove Tubes is not a tube manufacturer, it's just Fender's employees doing some kind of quality control and matching to some degree, then stamping the logo on top of the checked tubes. From what I've heard, Tube Amp Doctor does that job much better.

spammy davis jr
Mar 21, 2009

I checked through the thread and saw no mention of the Line 6 DT50. Their page for it is here:
http://line6.com/dt50/

Their basic premise is to take their modeling tech. and apply real tubes. So it's a combination of DSP and Analog in both the Power Amp and Pre Amp sections of it.

Has anybody here had a chance to play around with one of these things? If so, what'd you think? I want to believe it isn't just a gimmick, but I have my suspicions.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Gh0st_Preacher posted:

I checked through the thread and saw no mention of the Line 6 DT50. Their page for it is here:
http://line6.com/dt50/

Their basic premise is to take their modeling tech. and apply real tubes. So it's a combination of DSP and Analog in both the Power Amp and Pre Amp sections of it.

Has anybody here had a chance to play around with one of these things? If so, what'd you think? I want to believe it isn't just a gimmick, but I have my suspicions.

It is the real deal. The power-amp modeling is actually disabled for everything but "low power" mode, so, any power amp grit you hear at normal to loud volumes is coming from the amp. It sounds like the fist of god.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
EDIT: Nevermind, got the answer from a guitar store employee.

Also, I have to commend the guys over at Eurotubes. I bought a full retube kit and a bias probe from them and it made it to me in 5 days (and I'm in Canada) in perfect order. Really looking forward to putting some high gain tubes in my amp, as the guy I bought it from had some pretty low gainers in it (he used it for funk, I use it for doom!).

ethan fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 18, 2011

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I just pulled the guts out of an early 80's Peavey Rockmaster 120w head I've had lying around for a while to see what brand of tubes it's got, and I'm stuck.

Anyone have any info about these? (Not my pic, but same tubes)

12AX7's marked "Peavey Super 7's, Ruggedized Premium Selection, STR-395, Made In USA, AKY, 34/10/29, 12AX7A/ECC83/7025".

It had two of those, and one Made in Hungary Tungsram 12AX7. I pulled that one and put it in my Blackheart BH5-112; a huge improvement.

But alas, these Peavey Super 7's tubes have me stumped. The amp also has 4x6L6 "Peavey Super 6's". One forum post seems to indicate that they're rebranded Philips or Sylvania tubes. How well regarded might those tubes be?

Edit: Also last week I went to a vintage guitar store and asked for a pair of 12ax7's, any pair, and the guy sold me one Russian groovetube in a Sovtek box, and an ElectroHarmonix 6CA4, claiming it would work just as well as a 12AX7 since they look the same and have the same pins. Put that one in first and almost fried my amp, burnt smell all over the place, motherfuck. :mad:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 18, 2011

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Handen posted:

Edit: Also last week I went to a vintage guitar store and asked for a pair of 12ax7's, any pair, and the guy sold me one Russian groovetube in a Sovtek box, and an ElectroHarmonix 6CA4, claiming it would work just as well as a 12AX7 since they look the same and have the same pins. Put that one in first and almost fried my amp, burnt smell all over the place, motherfuck. :mad:

:wtc: That'll never work, a 6CA4 is a rectifier tube. Get your money back then go spend it in another guitar shop where they know what they're talking about.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6ca4.html

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_12ax7.html

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 20, 2011

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I just had my '63 Tremolux restored. It had been sitting in my closet for years. I discovered a guy in Port Orchard, WA named Brent Bagby who runs a vintage tube amp restoration shop (called "Solderhaus") and he did a beautiful job. He rewired it back to stock (whoever had it before me did a bad re-wiring job), replaced several capacitors and the power switch, put on a grounded power cord and cleaned it up. Still has the original power tubes and speakers. The grill cloth has a few ancient stains on it, but other than that it's in great shape. It sounds exquisite.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Blonde Fenders are the classiest looking amps ever. That is not opinion, that is fact :smugbert:

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Yes, that's a lovely amp. Still lusting after one of those blonde Bassman setups that Brian Setzer uses, but I think he's bought them all.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So I came here to ask about everygoon's opinion on Blackstar amps, and I think I found my answer just by glancing through a few pages.

I'm looking at their HT Club 40.

The guy at the guitar store (Hot Licks) said that should be enough simply to jam in the garage with what I would call a "loud" drummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I gig with a HT40, its a solid amp. A little dark voiced though, it needs a bit of tweaking to really cut through a mix though. Easily loud enough for garage jamming though.

Last few shows I havent pushed the MV above 3. (Thats like 50% of total volume mind, at half way its clipping and you're getting more gain rather than more volume)

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 14, 2011