Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Fire In The Disco posted:

Yup. Best I can do is make three distinct pictures with the double image ones, but Magic Eye stuff is easy-peasy.

I thought that was the point? Turn them into three distinct pictures and focus on the one in the middle and it's 3d!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

stubblyhead posted:

Some discount brand, I forget the name. I ask because my aunt is a heavy smoker and is starting to lose her mental faculties. My parents are trying to get her poo poo sorted out and she's spending large sums of money at the corner store on cigarettes and soda. My mom thinks they are taking advantage of her, but after I told her that even the lovely brands are like $7 a pack where I live, she's not so sure. I know the price varies quite a bit due to state taxes, and was hoping that they were comparable in Cali.

I can get a pack of american spirits (which are the most expensive widely available cigarettes AFAIK) for about 6 bucks, give or take 50 cents in LA proper.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What does "Mk." mean in thread titles like "The general feel good thread: Cute, Adorable and Uplifting Mk. II" and a few others?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Mark.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
See Wikipedia: Mark (designation). Anyone know the etymology on this one? I have a half-impression that it was interesting in some way, but the "designation" definition of "Mark" didn't show up in any of the (few) online dictionaries that I looked through.

Edit:
vv Durf, I just skipped right over that sentence. Yeah, that makes sense.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 13, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Gravity Pike posted:

See Wikipedia: Mark (designation). Anyone know the etymology on this one? I have a half-impression that it was interesting in some way, but the "designation" definition of "Mark" didn't show up in any of the (few) online dictionaries that I looked through.

I dunno, the article's explanation is pretty plausible:
Because a mark is often made to measure height or progress, by metonymy the word mark is used to mean a level of development, and level designations like "Mark I", "Mark II" etc. come to be used as proper names.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
For example, canals. "By the mark one," "by the mark twain," etc.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

"Mark" ultimately derives from the same root as "margin," and carried the meaning of something akin to "boundary," so the use of it to delineate between the figurative boundary between one stage of development and the next makes sense.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
For 20 something years now since I first saw a magic eye thing in middle school I've never been able to see anything in them until today, that duck one with the "helper dots" holy poo poo!

I saw the duck twice now and it took me a good 60-120seconds each time to make it pop out but what I did was concentrate on the middle until the dots above started looking like ". .. ." then I kinda brought the two center dots together for ". . ." and duck!

"magic eye" on GIS is bringing up lots of results but I can't see anything on them yet. sharpie-to-monitor helper-dot making soon...

edit: few minutes later and now I can see images in others without dots, fuckin-a! 20 something years later I get it.

edit again: just saw one labeled "when you see it you'll wish you hadn't" Yes, it was exactly as expected.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 13, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Little do you know, this magic-eye-seeing ability will save your life one day so be thankful you learned how to do it just now.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I can get a pack of american spirits (which are the most expensive widely available cigarettes AFAIK) for about 6 bucks, give or take 50 cents in LA proper.

Thanks for this. If American Spirits are that much in LA then the off brands are probably a lot less in Riverside.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I posted several pages ago, but I figured I'd update:
Went and gave blood on Friday. Everyone at the blood center was super nice and gave me lots of juice and cookies. They even covered my arm so I didn't have to stare at the needle.
The most shocking development was that I survided the ordeal.

Sadsy Kitten
Sep 12, 2009
I just spent a good 15-20 minutes trying to figure out what everyone was seeing in those Magic Eye things, and I finally got it! I can see it too! I'm not doomed to an eternity of wondering what everyone else is talking about!

If you wear glasses and can't get it, try taking them off (as someone else said) and putting your nose up to the screen however close you need to see clearly, then crossing your eyes while looking at the dots until you've got three dots. It just eventually popped into focus for me, and when I realized it had, I looked around the picture and saw the duck. It kind of looks like there are two layers of green and a duck shape is just cut out of the top one, if you, like me, have never seen one of these and have no idea what you're looking for.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

I posted several pages ago, but I figured I'd update:
Went and gave blood on Friday. Everyone at the blood center was super nice and gave me lots of juice and cookies. They even covered my arm so I didn't have to stare at the needle.
The most shocking development was that I survided the ordeal.

Great job! I hope it becomes a habit!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Is there something in particular that makes batteries leak? These were unopened and sitting on a shelf in a closet. The expiration date on them is Dec 2016.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ror posted:

Is there something in particular that makes batteries leak? These were unopened and sitting on a shelf in a closet. The expiration date on them is Dec 2016.

High temperatures can cause any stored (unused) batteries to leak. Even at lower temps cheap Radio Shack batteries like those are more likely to leak because the cheapest batteries use the most caustic alkalines and have the weakest seals.

Once installed, leaking increases with heat, humidity, and mixing of different battery types or brands.

Re-chargeable batteries are far less likely to leak due to the different chemistry.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Is there a way to mitigate the "Asian alcohol syndrome/Asian flush/red flush/red face/etc..."?

I've heard that anti-heartburn meds work like Zantac or Pepcid or generics containing the same active ingredient (famotidine or ranitidine). There's a website that says this doesn't work, but then tries to sell the "no red face formula". Almost certainly a scam or some poo poo e-moneymaking project, and who the hell pays for a set of instructions nowadays?

Anyway, some anecdotal evidence would be appreciated.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Throatwarbler posted:

I heard that in the US, you can leave outgoing mail in your mailbox and the mailman will pick it up when he comes by, so maybe driving would be easier. Truly America is the land of milk and honey.

Where I'm from you put up the flag on the mailbox if you have outgoing the mailman needs to pick up. Is it possible in other places that have standalone mailboxes, that it's used for marking when you have mail? I know the mailman _could_ leave it up to indicate mail, but I've never seen that practiced.

What have other people observed?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Dudebro posted:

Is there a way to mitigate the "Asian alcohol syndrome/Asian flush/red flush/red face/etc..."?

I've heard that anti-heartburn meds work like Zantac or Pepcid or generics containing the same active ingredient (famotidine or ranitidine). There's a website that says this doesn't work, but then tries to sell the "no red face formula". Almost certainly a scam or some poo poo e-moneymaking project, and who the hell pays for a set of instructions nowadays?

It isn't just asian, one beer in me and I'm bright red all night. Someone help I'd like to look cute in a set of photos from a night out :negative:

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

kimbo305 posted:

Where I'm from you put up the flag on the mailbox if you have outgoing the mailman needs to pick up. Is it possible in other places that have standalone mailboxes, that it's used for marking when you have mail? I know the mailman _could_ leave it up to indicate mail, but I've never seen that practiced.

What have other people observed?

When I lived in the suburbs, you would place outgoing mail in your mailbox and put the flag up; when the mailman came by, he would take your outgoing mail, place incoming mail in your box, and put the flag down.

Now that I'm in the city, we've just got banks of incoming mailboxes, and a shared outgoing mailbox that you can put things into, but can't get anything out of.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Speaking of mail, I have a package here to send to my dad for Father's Day. It's not huge or anything, but it's still bigger than typical letter/card size. How do I find out how much postage goes on it without having to go to the post office?

I'm in Canada and the package is going elsewhere in Canada and I await the strike jokes.

EDIT: Nevermind!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 14, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm looking for a specific shirt, it's a long sleeved black shirt with a black and white argyle-vest like pattern on the front, but it isn't a sweater, just a thin long sleeved shirt (preferably a v-neck so I can pair it with a dress shirt underneath). Does anyone know where I can buy one?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How does cancer actually kill people? As in, what does it do to the body that causes death?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Cancer is what happens when you body's cells don't know how to reproduce correctly anymore, creating tumors. Your skin constantly reproduces as the top layers die; skin cancer is what happens when part of your skin doesn't know how to make "skin" anymore and makes something else instead. This behavior can spread to other cells; for example, from your skin to your lungs or something. Or your brain.

What happens then is that your vital organs are no longer able to sustain themselves because parts of them are, instead of replacing dying cells, making worthless cells that continue to make more worthless cells and teach other cells to make more worthless cells.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dudebro posted:

I really doubt that anything will stop this.

I guess you read Wiki about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction

As a significant proportion of Asians show this effect, and there are a lot of Asians in the world, if there were a reliable method of stopping it, it would be common knowledge by now.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dudebro posted:

Try some and find out! They're all over the counter now.

Also, the best name for this condition is "The Asian Sensation".

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I have a nice steep hill on my property, so naturally I'd like to construct a zip line.
I just found a farm supply place online that has very reasonable prices for steel cable, and shipping isn't bad either.

I was thinking of getting a few hundred feet of 3/16" galvanized aircraft cable, but my brother thinks I should upgrade to 1/4" -which is .10/foot more expensive.

I don't really want to spend another $50 if the 3/16 is already overkill. Honestly, I'd feel pretty safe sliding down 1/8" cable, but I only weigh a buck fifty.

Should I upgrade my cable or just get a "No Fat Chicks" bumper sticker and a good lawyer?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Danger Mahoney posted:

Try some and find out! They're all over the counter now.

Also, the best name for this condition is "The Asian Sensation".
I tried extra strength pepcid AC which is 20mg of famotidine. It seemed to help somewhat but I'm hesitant of taking heartburn meds when I don't have heartburn problems.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 14, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Very Strange Things posted:

I have a nice steep hill on my property, so naturally I'd like to construct a zip line.
I just found a farm supply place online that has very reasonable prices for steel cable, and shipping isn't bad either.

I was thinking of getting a few hundred feet of 3/16" galvanized aircraft cable, but my brother thinks I should upgrade to 1/4" -which is .10/foot more expensive.

I don't really want to spend another $50 if the 3/16 is already overkill. Honestly, I'd feel pretty safe sliding down 1/8" cable, but I only weigh a buck fifty.

Should I upgrade my cable or just get a "No Fat Chicks" bumper sticker and a good lawyer?

quote:

Diameter(Inches) BreakingStrengthlbs. Approx.Wt. / 1000 ft
3/64 270 4.2
1/16* 480 7.5
3/32* 920 16
7/64 1,260 22
1/8* 1,760 29
5/32* 2,400 45
3/16* 3,700 65
7/32* 5,000 86
1/4* 6,400 110

Those aren't your exact numbers, just guideline numbers. Keep in mind your "load" includes the tension across the wire/weight of wire not just the load applied. I'm sure a math goon can help you figure that out.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wasn't there already a thread about someone who wanted to make a zipline for their camp and it was a horrible death trap?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

change my name posted:

Wasn't there already a thread about someone who wanted to make a zipline for their camp and it was a horrible death trap?

Haha, I remember that thread. I'm pretty sure the guy never figured out how to stop the campers at the end except for a bunch of mattresses.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Heh, I need to see that one. Are you sure it wasn't the slide?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

FCKGW posted:

Haha, I remember that thread. I'm pretty sure the guy never figured out how to stop the campers at the end except for a bunch of mattresses.

If I remember correctly, the proper way to slow people down is to make sure the last segment of the line is curving up, which can be done loosening tension on the line or having an extra pole or something to hang it off.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Those aren't your exact numbers, just guideline numbers. Keep in mind your "load" includes the tension across the wire/weight of wire not just the load applied. I'm sure a math goon can help you figure that out.

Thanks; I'm not sure what all that means except that maybe I want to add the weight of the cable across my distance to the weight of the potential user?
I had seen some numbers that indicated that 1/8" 7x19 would support 340 lb.s safely -other people are making zip lines out of rope, but I think they are on a much smaller scale. Mine will be a terrifying drop of 80 to 100 feet over about 350 feet through the tree tops.

What about the galvanized 7x19 itself; can I expect that to rust or fatigue in my lifetime? I don't think I can really afford stainless steel at this time. It's a hard enough sell to my girlfriend that a zip line is on the short list of necessary expenditures.

change my name posted:

I scanned every current page in DIY and a/t and didn't see one. Maybe I'll make a new thread when I'm back from vacation and can get started.

madprocess posted:

If I remember correctly, the proper way to slow people down is to make sure the last segment of the line is curving up, which can be done loosening tension on the line or having an extra pole or something to hang it off.

The end will be a good 80' lower than the beginning, and the grades change along the path, so I can't envision any intentional slack in the line that wouldn't bring the rider too close to the ground in places.
My plan is to have the end of the line be another cable between two anchors, so I can put a net or a kiddy pool or something soft underneath.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 14, 2011

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
How much damage can a scammer do with a picture of my license with half the DL number blocked out? It also has most of my signature, or what passed as my signature at the time.

Basically the scam was for a job as a driver for an old lady and they would send me a check with the first weeks pay and some other money for the land lord for the apartment the lady would be living at. This was not made clear in the email and I sent basic info such as name and address and the above edited license. Well they sent a check for $3k that I will not be cashing. How can I get out of this unfucked?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Mine will be a terrifying drop of 80 to 100 feet over about 350 feet

I cannot wait to see your zipline on Tosh.0, assuming he lifts the ban on videos where people are seriously injured or killed.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah this sounds exactly like what the other guy was trying to do, hope you have insurance

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

madprocess posted:

no the proper way is not having one side 30 feet higher than the other side like the guy in the thread had. It's only supposed to be a very minimal difference in heights. The tension in the thread is basically negligible.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

haveblue posted:

I cannot wait to see your zipline on Tosh.0, assuming he lifts the ban on videos where people are seriously injured or killed.

Didn't that dude who rammed into the elevator die?

I've only ziplined once, and there, there was a guy who would stop you and unhook you at the end. They gave you leather gloves to glide down the cord to slow you down as you entered the last 30 meters or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

How much damage can a scammer do with a picture of my license with half the DL number blocked out? It also has most of my signature, or what passed as my signature at the time.

Basically the scam was for a job as a driver for an old lady and they would send me a check with the first weeks pay and some other money for the land lord for the apartment the lady would be living at. This was not made clear in the email and I sent basic info such as name and address and the above edited license. Well they sent a check for $3k that I will not be cashing. How can I get out of this unfucked?

In most states your driver license number is directly generated from your personal data such as:
1) Gender
2) Date of Birth
3) First X letters in your first and last names
4) Eye color
5) Sometimes, place of first issue of license

These do help a person "in the know" to verify that a driver's license wasn't swiped from someone else or that an 18 year old didn't change a number to look 21 - but someone in the know can get the info back out.

For example, if you had a New Jersey driver license (like I do now), and someone got the last 10 characters of it they could tell the start of my first name, my middle initial, my month and year of birth and gender and eye color.

A guy named John V Jackson, born October 1985 and with blue eyes will have a driver's license of J0062 40785 10854. If someone knows only the last group, they know they're a male born October 1985 with blue eyes. The middle, they know the first name starts Jo or maybe Joh and their middle initial is V. And so on.

This guy's site has info on various state driver license numbers so you might be able to tell what info leaked: http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/numbers/

Schweinhund posted:

no the proper way is not having one side 30 feet higher than the other side like the guy in the thread had. It's only supposed to be a very minimal difference in heights. The tension in the thread is basically negligible.

Nah, I'm saying you slacken the line to make a natural curve to it to help slow you down over a long zip line.