Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I knew AMD would drop the ball somewhere with this CPU. Both good and sad that I have been proven right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

x86 is pretty IPC limited, IIRC the Athlon had 3 decoders and only averaged around 1.5 IPC thorough put. 4 is already overkill, adding a 5th would be a waste. Resources would probably be better spent on a bigger/faster cache or branch prediction or improving clockspeed. I don't believe memory bandwidth is an issue right now either, almost nothing seems to be limited by it for desktop workloads.

For desktop everything is cpu limited. There are specific scientific or engineering applications where memory bandwidth is a limiting factor, even then it only appeared when I started using Xeon 5520's.

The thing is with the new architecture is that it's modular. When you add a decoder you're adding the ALUs and FPU in the module as well. In theory you could process more assuming you don't have other bottlenecks appearing and making it ineffective.

ZeroConnection
Aug 8, 2008
I think they should release it anyway if it's 20%+ better than their current offerings.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Mods, please rename it to "Bulldozer - Duke Nukem Forever is coming out before this chip", or if that is too long, abbr. Duke Nukem Forever to DNF.

Thanks.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 31, 2011

Warp Zone
Apr 3, 2009
I won't be upgrading for the next year or so, but I was hoping to see BD pull out some high clocks and amazing performance to set the bar higher, so I'm kinda disappointed about this delay.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Updated the OP.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

You Am I posted:

I knew AMD would drop the ball somewhere with this CPU. Both good and sad that I have been proven right.
A resurgent AMD would be great and I say this as someone who already upgraded to Sandy Bridge. Alas.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Xbitlabs is reporting their sources as saying that Bulldozer is currently topping out at 2.5Ghz before Turbo, which certainly explains why they couldn't launch it. Even desktop Sandy Bridge has nearly 1Ghz over that, and Sandy Bridge-E will probably have a similar lead, and that's with 8 cores.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
So if a new stepping respin fixes the clock issues, could there be anything architecturally wrong with the chip?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sinestro posted:

Mods, please rename it to "Bulldozer - Duke Nukem Forever is coming out before this chip", or if that is too long, abbr. Duke Nukem Forever to DNF.

Thanks.
Only because I love my SH/SC posters.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

dud root posted:

So if a new stepping respin fixes the clock issues, could there be anything architecturally wrong with the chip?

It all looks good in theory but it's hard to know what they're actually fixing. Is it a process issue, have they found actual bugs in the B0 and B1 steppings, or do they need to tweak the chip layout so that it works at higher clock speeds.

Given they're going to stepping B2 instead of redesigning the chip from scratch it seems like there isn't a major architectural issue.

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
I hope AMD can pull it off... not saying this as a fanboy, all my stuff is intel. Just without competition, I know intel will gouge. Hell, I used to work for them.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Anandtech has some more AMD updates from Computex, one is that in 2012 they intend to launch the Trinity APU series to replace Llano, this will combine Bulldozer modules with a Radeon graphics core. Another Bulldozer tidbit from Anandtech is that they are reporting that B1 stepping CPUs are clocking at 3.8Ghz nominal, which contradicts earlier claims that they were only able to achieve 2.5Ghz nominal. This could mean that the clockspeed issue stories were wrong and the problems were just actual performance, or it could be that the issue is what clocks they can hit within their TDP targets. The processor renumbering really points to the problem being clockspeed-related somehow, but it's always possible that story was just wrong.

AMD has also officially announced their Z-series "Desna" APUs for tablets. The AMD Z-01 is basically an Ontario C-50 chip that has been binned for lower power consumption, coming in at 5.9W versus 9W on the C-50. It's a 1Ghz dual-core CPU with a 280Mhz Radeon HD 6250 GPU.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Resources would probably be better spent on a bigger/faster cache or branch prediction or improving clockspeed.
No. Branch prediction is such a dead topic and is never the answer. In my later classes where we had to cook up architectural features, we were explicitly discouraged from doing anything with branch prediction. When you're above 95-97% on most workloads.. who cares?

Devian666 posted:

For desktop everything is cpu limited.
I'm waiting on the network more often than the CPU. I think the Android emulator's one of the few cpu-bound tasks I still have.

Devian666 posted:

Given they're going to stepping B2 instead of redesigning the chip from scratch it seems like there isn't a major architectural issue.
A full stepping (C0) wouldn't be a "from scratch" redesign. The only difference in full steppings and dashes is what layers of the metal you're touching. A full stepping lets you move transistors around, a dash just lets you reroute wires. And on that note, this semiaccurate article makes the type of stepping unclear:

quote:

Some sources are describing the ‘shipping’ step as B3, others as C0. C0 would seem to fit the performance bump problem model, and B3 a bug fix. With the backdrop of sandbagging though, you can’t say for sure no matter what is printed on the chip.
I'd disagree with their conclusions. A full stepping could be necessary for an architectural bug OR a speedpath, or you could get lucky and a dash could fix both. My guess would be a full stepping implies a bug.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Only because I love my SH/SC posters.
Oh.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
AMD has announced the E-450 APU, it's basically the E-350 with slightly bumped CPU and GPU clockspeeds, graphics turbo support, and support for DDR3-1600 memory (instead of DDR3-1333). This should result in significant performance boosts for graphics-bound games, though unfortunately most games are CPU-bound on Zacate, and they apparently can't bump CPU clocks meaningfully without a die shrink.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

I'm waiting on the network more often than the CPU. I think the Android emulator's one of the few cpu-bound tasks I still have.

Thanks for the other comments as they help shed some light on what might be going on at AMD.

For the desktop loads I was referring to typical home desktop loads (which for me means gaming as other tasks don't use much cpu).

My work workloads are very memory intensive and for future upgrades I want faster memory. If I shifted the workload to multiple computers it would easily saturate network bandwidth. When cpus were a lot slower neither network or memory bandwidth was a problem for the stuff that I do.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 2, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

JawnV6 posted:

No. Branch prediction is such a dead topic and is never the answer. In my later classes where we had to cook up architectural features, we were explicitly discouraged from doing anything with branch prediction. When you're above 95-97% on most workloads.. who cares?
The way it was explained to me was that if the remaining 3-5% come to dominate 50-90% of your pipeline stalls/inactivity (note: that is a number I'm throwing out there, the exact amount will vary from one design to the next, I have no idea what it is for current chips from Intel or AMD much less older ones) then its worth it to still throw resources at it. IIRC AMD said adding a 3rd pipeline to the original K7 added around 5% more performance in general and adding more would get you even less, so more pipelines was getting some very diminishing returns years ago.

Devian666 posted:

For the desktop loads I was referring to typical home desktop loads (which for me means gaming as other tasks don't use much cpu).

My work wordloads are very memory intensive and for future upgrades I want faster memory. If I shifted the workload to multiple computers it would easily saturate network bandwidth. When cpus were a lot slower neither network or memory bandwidth was a problem for the stuff that I do.
The thing is that its been true for years that for most desktop stuff you could use the cheapest DDR3 1066 or the end all be all OC'ers DDR3 2000+ stuff and see hardly any benefit outside of synthetic benchmarks. Even for games it just doesn't make a lot of difference, 2-3fps at best for your 2133Mhz stuff vs. the cheapest 1333Mhz "junk" in that link. And its the same way for CPU's for desktop work loads.

So your previous post make a lot of sense for HPC or something else perhaps even more niche, but not for common desktop stuff.

AMD confirms Sept. date for BD release. Lets hope they actually stick to it this time.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 2, 2011

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The way it was explained to me was that if the remaining 3-5% come to dominate 50-90% of your pipeline stalls/inactivity (note: that is a number I'm throwing out there, the exact amount will vary from one design to the next, I have no idea what it is for current chips from Intel or AMD much less older ones) then its worth it to still throw resources at it.
Forget about design-dependency, that's terribly workload dependent and difficult to even collect on a live system. I'd be shocked to find a workload that's having 90% stalls on branch misses that's not a pathological case. Use a data set that'll spill out of the L3 and tell me you're not waiting on memory.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

IIRC AMD said adding a 3rd pipeline to the original K7 added around 5% more performance in general and adding more would get you even less, so more pipelines was getting some very diminishing returns years ago.
I can't understand what you're saying here. Assuming you're using the word "pipeline" instead of "decoder," it's really difficult to take the effect that stretching that one part of the design did over a decade ago and assume it's relevant to a modern architecture. You're sitting right between the instruction cache and the OoO engine and I can guarantee that those structures have grown much bigger in that time frame.

I know you're trying to say the ISA has some fundamental limit on how many instructions to decode in a cycle. I just don't buy that without better evidence.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So is there a price range on how much these new Bulldozer CPUs will cost? And the new motherboards?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

E2M2 posted:

So is there a price range on how much these new Bulldozer CPUs will cost? And the new motherboards?

We won't know.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

E2M2 posted:

Here's a pricing/spec table from Donahim Haber on May 20th. This was before the rumors of performance/lineup changes, so things may have changed, and take it with a grain of salt. It looks reasonable, however.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 5, 2011

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alereon posted:

On the plus side, we know that Intel's next-generation Ivy Bridge CPUs have been pushed back from Q1 2012 to Q2, meaning AMD is going to have a generous period of graphics dominance with Llano and Brazos.

This isn't a plus side at all. I want Bulldozer to come out tomorrow, and Ivy Bridge to come out next week, damnit. Whose side are you on?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
It's a plus for AMD if they're trying to maintain profitability :)

ZeroConnection
Aug 8, 2008
Some AM3+ motherboards are in stock at Newegg!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Llano previews are out, I'm thinking of giving it its own thread. Anandtech Desktop Preview, Anandtech Notebook Preview.

Notebook: Absolutely unbeatable for inexpensive gaming performance, with Sandy Bridge-like excellent general usage battery life. The CPU performance is poor, but you're clearly buying a Llano notebook for the graphics. The CPU performance does hold back the GPU in CPU-heavy games like StarCraft 2, but not by enough that the GPU still doesn't give it a commanding lead. The new Hybrid Crossfire isn't bad (when it works), though it depends on how cheaply they can throw low-end GPUs into laptops (low-end AMD mobile GPUs seem pretty drat cheap). No graphics turbo :(

Desktop: Disappointing. The GPU is more hamstrung by sharing memory bandwidth with the CPU than hoped, though it still has a compelling performance advantage. The CPU is showing its age, easily trounced by Sandy Bridge Core i3s. It still obviously wins at gaming without a dedicated graphics card thanks to 50-100% faster graphics performance, but I'm holding out for final reviews and to find out how overclockable it is.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Alereon posted:

Llano previews are out, I'm thinking of giving it its own thread. Anandtech Desktop Preview, Anandtech Notebook Preview.

Notebook: Absolutely unbeatable for inexpensive gaming performance, with Sandy Bridge-like excellent general usage battery life. The CPU performance is poor, but you're clearly buying a Llano notebook for the graphics. The CPU performance does hold back the GPU in CPU-heavy games like StarCraft 2, but not by enough that the GPU still doesn't give it a commanding lead. The new Hybrid Crossfire isn't bad (when it works), though it depends on how cheaply they can throw low-end GPUs into laptops (low-end AMD mobile GPUs seem pretty drat cheap). No graphics turbo :(

Desktop: Disappointing. The GPU is more hamstrung by sharing memory bandwidth with the CPU than hoped, though it still has a compelling performance advantage. The CPU is showing its age, easily trounced by Sandy Bridge Core i3s. It still obviously wins at gaming without a dedicated graphics card thanks to 50-100% faster graphics performance, but I'm holding out for final reviews and to find out how overclockable it is.

Trouble for AMD is SB + GT540M is better than mobile Llano in every aspect and the former isn't exactly expensive to boot either.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

freeforumuser posted:

Trouble for AMD is SB + GT540M is better than mobile Llano in every aspect and the former isn't exactly expensive to boot either.
Keep in mind that Anandtech was reviewing a 35W low-power processor, and the laptop with a GT 540M was using a 45W quad-core i7 2630QM. The GPU itself is competitive enough that it instantly obsoletes everything below the GT 555M/GTX 560M, which is amazing when you consider that we're talking about integrated graphics and not having to pay for a videocard at all. I don't think AMD or its OEMs are stupid enough to price Llano notebooks similarly to Sandy Bridge notebooks with capable dGPUs. One thing we don't have yet are gaming battery life benchmarks, which is one area we can expect Llano to excel. It's already winning over dGPU-equipped Sandy Bridge in the Internet and video playback tests, once the dGPU kicks on you'd expect battery life for the GT 540M laptop to fall in a hole.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Alereon posted:

One thing we don't have yet are gaming battery life benchmarks, which is one area we can expect Llano to excel.

Anandtech posted:

Rounding out the battery life discussion, we also tested battery life while looping 3DMark06 at native resolution (1366x768). This represents a reasonable 3D gaming scenario, and Llano still managed a reasonable 161 minutes. Considering graphics performance is a healthy step up from what Intel’s HD 3000 offers and that AMD manages double the battery life under gaming situations compared to the K53E, mobile gaming is clearly a win.

58Wh battery.. Of course, what retail machines will do will no doubt vary

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Fudzilla has a link on a Llano laptop for less than 600 Euros which suggests to me that Llano based laptops will be priced quite a bit lower than most any SB+discrete GPU alternatives which tend to go for over $700.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Alereon posted:

Keep in mind that Anandtech was reviewing a 35W low-power processor, and the laptop with a GT 540M was using a 45W quad-core i7 2630QM. The GPU itself is competitive enough that it instantly obsoletes everything below the GT 555M/GTX 560M, which is amazing when you consider that we're talking about integrated graphics and not having to pay for a videocard at all. I don't think AMD or its OEMs are stupid enough to price Llano notebooks similarly to Sandy Bridge notebooks with capable dGPUs. One thing we don't have yet are gaming battery life benchmarks, which is one area we can expect Llano to excel. It's already winning over dGPU-equipped Sandy Bridge in the Internet and video playback tests, once the dGPU kicks on you'd expect battery life for the GT 540M laptop to fall in a hole.

For the love of God put this in a Thinkpad Model T, please please please :ohdear:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Sorry for the many title changes, but could a mod please rename this to "AMD's Next Generation CPUs: Now departing Llano station, next stop Bulldozer."

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008
Hardocp posted their review. Gave it the gold award since they can play games like Dirt 3 and Dragon Age II at native resolution with medium to high settings (and AA, 8xAA in Dirt 3s case).

Sounds like AMD did well.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Seems like AMD left Bapco because Bulldozer doesn't perform well.
The article goes into why and how AMD did a 180 on Sysmark, and the changes in corporate culture that accompanied it.

quote:

Our source claims AMD had a solid position in BAPCo and that BAPCo's board accepted vast majority of suggestions for SYSmark and MobileMark benchmarks to the tune of 75-83%.
But BAPCo could not fix the following: "the problem was that hound our processors performance was poor, the CPU performance wasn't there at the commercial level this significantly hurt our ability to win public sector and large enterprise business around the world."

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2011/6/24/amd-insiders-speak-out-bapco-exit-is-an-excuse-for-poor-bulldozer-performance.aspx

quote:

A shift occurred and all engineers were left was not making a discussion that would go along the lines of "ok, how do we make our architecture better?", "how do we work to regain performance leadership?". According to one of our highly positioned sources, the culture switched to "how do we discredit benchmarks and skew the numbers?"

quote:

"Bulldozer is going to disappoint people because we did not get the resources to build a great CPU, and it's not that we needed billions of dollars to make it a leader. We needed investment in people, tools and technology."

quote:

When asked about core performance, surprising information was that a Bulldozer core versus the existing cores in Llano will result in minimal improvements overall. Our sources went on to say that the launch of Llano clearly shows what is the current and future strategy - downplay CPU performance every chance you get. Everything has to revolve around the GPU.

Edit: some more quotes

Riso fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 24, 2011

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Looks like they've thrown Llano in some Lenovo Ideapads, but not much else. :smith:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

That's horrible loving news. I haven't built an AMD system in years and years but they're the only balancing factor keeping the arms race going for consumers. Who else is even remotely positioned to offer an alternative to Intel? What's the future of AMD (and ATI) if they lose the CPU race this many generations in a row?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Maybe nVidia will rethink declining to design an x86 CPU? Or maybe AMD will take this as a good prompt to go on a hiring binge and build something new in a relatively short time. Hell, maybe even call back to the team featured in The Soul of a New Machine and grab a whole bunch of novice graduates to... well, no. AMD has their GPUs and a sufficient CPU for budget uses. This isn't make-or-break for them.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Agreed posted:

That's horrible loving news. I haven't built an AMD system in years and years but they're the only balancing factor keeping the arms race going for consumers. Who else is even remotely positioned to offer an alternative to Intel? What's the future of AMD (and ATI) if they lose the CPU race this many generations in a row?

While it's likely is correct that it's going to disappoint, you need to take Theo Valich articles with a grain of salt. He's been dead wrong several times in the past.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Not make or break, but they acknowledge their market share is pretty crap for anything serious. It seems like the only segments propping them up are people who see lower price and don't care if it's Intel or AMD (we're talking Best Buy shoppers, here) and enthusiasts on a budget who will accept the slower processor in order to save money. It's looking more and more like K6 vs Pentium, I just hate to see AMD slip into that slump again. They kicked serious rear end with the Athlon XP and first-gen 64-bit chips. Man. Lame.

Ryokurin posted:

While it's likely is correct that it's going to disappoint, you need to take Theo Valich articles with a grain of salt. He's been dead wrong several times in the past.

I'll keep that in mind.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Let's be honest though, the BAPCo thing probably is because their CPUs aren't performing all that well, and they think the suite didn't emphasise GPU performance enough..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

HalloKitty posted:

Let's be honest though, the BAPCo thing probably is because their CPUs aren't performing all that well, and they think the suite didn't emphasise GPU performance enough..
Keep in mind that nVidia and Via quit at the same time along with AMD. This is really an issue of Intel controlling BAPCo and selecting and weighting the benchmarks to show Intel's products in the best possible light. That probably means a focus on single-threaded performance and with minimal emphasis on graphics performance, which would definitely disadvantage their competitors who optimized for multi-threaded performance and GPU speed.

• Locked thread