Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It has been about two weeks since I found a way to manage my time to play at least an hour every day (instead of days off) and still get my tedious daily routine finished.

I have finished Second Sight about three weeks ago and have been playing STALKER SoC. The start is staggeringly painful as I was told. The early part involved a ton of stabbing and early military hardware wasn't much of an upgrade, as I tore through the camp and checkpoint. rear end in a top hat Ukrainians.
I am at the point where I can join any faction and have to investigate some lab and several other locations.
The only place where I find decent numbers of human life outside of Bar/Freedom, is in Garbage. I have become very paranoid when traveling, since Bloodsuckers and mutants are spawning in large numbers and killed most of the people in the old areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Reading the thread made me think I should start going through my backlog of games. I borrowed Assassin's Creed 2 shortly after it came out and nearly beat the game only to have a harddrive failure and have to start over. I ended up just giving up and giving the game back to my friend. Later I bought the game for sale on Steam and hadn't touched it after buying it. Figured I should start going through my backlog of games, managed to beat the first sequence and grab some unlockables.

seriously!
Jun 27, 2010

by angerbeet

Cardboard Fox posted:

So I reinstalled Borderlands today and will be playing through it for the 10th time. What is wrong with me? :negative:

Better that you delve into Borderlands repeatedly and continue to derive much fun out of it than play some "decent" game you quickly forget about as soon as you finish...

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Found 139 Games with a value of
$2070.62 USD

So it has occurred to me that I may have a problem here. It's kind of strange since I am not the collector type and I don't hoard objects. In fact I own so very little and prefer it that way that I find it quite puzzling I am the complete opposite with my electronic library.

Anyway, this thread convinced me to go through and organize my Steam library and commit myself to actually playing the games I own/borrow on Steam. This is the system I settled on, I'm sharing in the hopes it will help someone else get organized.

!PLAYING
I'm hoping to keep to this a single game and not move on until I complete it or end up trashing it because it's a terrible game (I know, then why did I buy it).

!PLAYLIST
List of games I wish to start or continue from where I last played them and complete them. I'm trying to keep this smaller then the general list of games I haven't played for fear of looking at them and going "screw this".

Currently has 16 Games.

!PLAYLIST +
List of games which I haven't completed and a pool for picking games to move to the playlist as I get through them. Also used for sequels to games in the playlist. For example, I have completed 4 Sam and Max episodes, I have the 5th episode in my playlist and the rest of the series in playlist+.

Contains 40 Games.

CONTINUAL
Contains games that aren't really completable. Multiplayer/Sandbox etc. Examples include BC2, Killing Floor, Civ V. I imagine this will grow as I get through my playlist.

Contains 12 Games.

FINISHED
Pretty self explanatory, Single player/story line games that I have completed.

Contains 20 Games.

TRASH
Includes games which I gave an honest effort at playing and thought they were terrible, games that I got the majority of the way through and will not pick up again or prequels that would normally fit into the "Continual" bracket but have been replaced by a similar game or sequel. An example would be Civ 4, which I loved to death and sunk many hours into but has been replaced by Civ 5 in the continual bracket. The X Collection of games is another example where there isn't much point of playing the prequels when I have X3: Terran Conflict in my playlist.

Contains 62 Games. (ugh, wow....)

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Cardboard Fox posted:

Dammit, I was really thinking this would be the start of me finally buckling down and playing through my entire library. I started with AvP classic, enjoyed the marine campaign greatly, but then hit a wall on the Alien campaign. The controls and navigation are just awful.
I did this on AvP 2, played through the Marine and Predator campaigns, and just couldn't get into the Alien one, so I marked it off as Beaten. I got plenty of fun out of just those two.

I don't know where to ask this, but I was trying to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and I got to the level where you have to sneak through this nazi base and stow away in the back of a truck. The truck drives off when I get in, but the screen just goes black and the next level doesn't load. Anyone else had this problem? I can't find any other info online, all the other levels up until that point haven't had any problems. I think I'm almost done with this game and I'd like to finish it off.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man, this thread... Originally inspiring, but I suppose I have a success story.

I installed Dawn of Discovery... It's a bit of a sim game but I've done the campaign, all the scenarios ( minus the labrinyth one), and now have settled with a comfortable continuous game.

Total play time: 158 hours. That's one game, for 158 hours straight, no others were played simultaneously. Usually in 3-5 hour intervals. Rough! But I think I can comfortably move it to the "Completed" section of my steam folders.

I think I'm going to play Divinity II... it feels like a single player MMO with a diablo loot style game. I imagine that'll be another 40 hour commitment. I played about 5 hours in before installing Dawn of Discovery.

Are you guys spending that much time in your games or still jumping around?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Madcosby posted:

Oh man, this thread... Originally inspiring, but I suppose I have a success story.

I installed Dawn of Discovery... It's a bit of a sim game but I've done the campaign, all the scenarios ( minus the labrinyth one), and now have settled with a comfortable continuous game.

Total play time: 158 hours. That's one game, for 158 hours straight, no others were played simultaneously. Usually in 3-5 hour intervals. Rough! But I think I can comfortably move it to the "Completed" section of my steam folders.

I think I'm going to play Divinity II... it feels like a single player MMO with a diablo loot style game. I imagine that'll be another 40 hour commitment. I played about 5 hours in before installing Dawn of Discovery.

I don't jump too much around. My problem is that I don't feel like playing most of the time when I get back from work (got laid off because of budget cut from the government so it's not a problem now)... If I don't touch a game for a few days I often forget about it and then when I need to come back, I'm lost so I lose interest a second time. So, one single player game at a time and a side dose of multi player Starcraft II, some leveling on the MMO a bit, etc...

I'm currently also playing Rift. I'm level 21 and I still managed to clear Star Wars Dark Forces, Dark Forces II, Mysteries of the Sith, Jedi Outcast and now playing Jedi Academy. I'm so proud of myself. If I complete the series I think it'll be more games I usually complete a year.

Divinity II is pretty fun. It took me 43 hours to play through the base game and expansion. I usually just beat and not complete games but in RPG I GOT to do all the side quests. So easily less than 40 hours if you don't do all of them. I played that just before the Jedi Knight series.

I will focus on easy to clear games for now. Shooters, third person action game, adventure games, etc... I won't touch RPGs and games like Dawn of Discovery because I could clear so many games during that time. Blackloggery tells me 181 games that are unfinished. Gotta clear those babies before I get into another RPG (and good god I have a lot of them).

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Madcosby posted:

That's a serious chunk of time! Look at it this way though, what did you pay for the game? Divide that by how many hours you put in and you'd be hard pressed to find better entertainment value with just about anything else!

As for me, I jump around a lot and gravitate towards the shorter titles, and still generally only play a game for 15-30 minutes at a time. My attention span has gotten worse over the years instead of the other way around. When I was a teenager and could only afford a game every once in a while, I would play the poo poo out of it for hours on end.

I'm also finding fewer non-online games that really suck me in, I think the last one I sat down and spent any serious chunk of time with at once was The Witcher, which at about 70 hours according to Steam, is the most I've put into a single-player title in a long time.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

RightClickSaveAs posted:

As for me, I jump around a lot and gravitate towards the shorter titles, and still generally only play a game for 15-30 minutes at a time. My attention span has gotten worse over the years instead of the other way around. When I was a teenager and could only afford a game every once in a while, I would play the poo poo out of it for hours on end.
This is exactly my situation. Even when I was in school and had less time, I played games for at least an hour at a time typically. And this was before I started getting used games or cheap downloadable games so I could usually only afford to get one game every now and then. These days I have all the time in the world and games barely hold my attention anymore. And cheap prices on Steam lure me to impulse buy too often even though I have tons of games I still need to finish.

The only recent exception is Persona 3. I don't know what is it, but that game can suck me in for a while.

Well since I mentioned it, in console progress I've been playing P3 and finished the school trip to Kyoto. I have around 70 something hours clocked and there aren't many months left in the calender so I guess I'm nearing the end of the main game.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Finally completed the whole Jedi Knight series with Star Wars - Jedi Knight : Jedi Acedemy! Five games! Must be a whole year's worth of backlog clearing right there. randomsteamgames.com gave me one a Commando game... I remember those games were pretty hard, right? How long are they?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I was making decent progress until the E3 hype over Saints Row The Third sent me deep into Saints Row 2 again. And I'm not getting out for a while.

Oh well at least I'm enjoying myself.

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008

Hemish posted:

If I don't touch a game for a few days I often forget about it and then when I need to come back, I'm lost so I lose interest a second time.

Yeah, this tends to be my problem as well. As long as I go interrupted on a game and play it at least a little bit every day, I'm fine. As soon as I forget about it or something comes up so that I can't play continously, it is not good news for that game. See the case for: The Witcher, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, everything....

However, I also have some good/inspiring news.

:siren: After 2.5 years I have made it out of Act II in the Witcher :siren:

This is huge for me. I might actually finish the game now

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

tokyosexwale posted:

Yeah, this tends to be my problem as well. As long as I go interrupted on a game and play it at least a little bit every day, I'm fine. As soon as I forget about it or something comes up so that I can't play continously, it is not good news for that game. See the case for: The Witcher, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, everything....

However, I also have some good/inspiring news.

:siren: After 2.5 years I have made it out of Act II in the Witcher :siren:

This is huge for me. I might actually finish the game now

Don't worry, you have to go back to the swamp in Act III.

Also, I finished Red Faction: Guerilla and am now playing through Red Faction: Armageddon. It's not much like RF:G, but it is fun, and it has some neat weapons (though bar the Magnet Gun, which is hilariously awesome, most of the new ones are kinda bad).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I started playing The Saboteur since I am a huge fan of open world games; and it is a very cheesy B-movie like game but also very fun and the visual style is great.
I'm actually surprised nobody ever mentions it.

CrazyB
May 14, 2003
The world needs more zombies.
I beat Section 8, Section 8 Prejudice, and Splinter Cell: Conviction this weekend. I need to get my friend to coop Conviction with me so I can truly cross it off.

Duke Nukem Forever and Dragon Age(55 hours in so far) are what I'm trying to beat now.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
I have a beef with steam software. I have 2 kids and 2 computers with a myriad of games purchased through steam. The thing is that only one computer can be logged in at one time, even if not playing the same game. IMO this is lovely. If I have 4+ computers at home I should be able to log in with any of them at the same time to play steam games. Obviously this only goes for the single player games.

If I bought some of the games at the store, I could install them onto several computers and play them at the same time, again, the single player ones of course.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
You might be looking for the normal Steam thread and not this one.

I have added Assassin's Creed II to my now playing list. Although if I get more save game bugs there is a good chance my effort will flounder. Wish me luck!

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Making my way through the Sam and Max Telltale episodes. They're pretty good in my opinion, half way through season 1 now. Though I think the Monkey Island Telltale games are a bit better.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Peechka posted:

I have a beef with steam software. I have 2 kids and 2 computers with a myriad of games purchased through steam. The thing is that only one computer can be logged in at one time, even if not playing the same game. IMO this is lovely. If I have 4+ computers at home I should be able to log in with any of them at the same time to play steam games. Obviously this only goes for the single player games.

If I bought some of the games at the store, I could install them onto several computers and play them at the same time, again, the single player ones of course.

Well, I'm sure you're already aware of this, but 95% of Steam games can be played in offline mode after you've first launched them. Since it's not communicating with the central Steam server, you can sign in on as many computers as you want. If you mostly want your kids using the account, this might even be a better option as it guarantees they won't be talking to strangers through the chat client or anything like that.

Steam actually stipulates in the ToS that the games are only for your use and the account isn't meant to be shared. If you could share them, why would people ever bother buying games on different accounts? You could just share one giant account with 30 of your friends and you could all log in any time you wanted, so long as no one was playing the exact game you wanted to play. I think the limitations are perfectly acceptable if you use the account as it's intended, and even if you don't, there are still ways to get around it through the offline mode. :)

I finished Majesty properly the other day! I'm going through the expansion now. I put them on Backloggery as separate games, because it's really just a second set of missions with new features that aren't even backwards compatible.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Peechka posted:

The solution is to log onto Steam on computer 1 and then put it in offline mode. Then, log onto Steam on computer 2 - you're now able to play most single-player games on both computers using the same Steam account. This should work for up to 30 days, after which you'll have to re-login to Steam on the first computer.

I've been working on the Penny Arcade games the last few days, but unfortunately, it appears that they are not very compatible with the latest ATI drivers, causing visible corruption and mouse lag. I'm now thinking of moving on to one of my Tom Clancy games, either Splinter Cell Conviction or Vegas 2.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zedd posted:

I started playing The Saboteur since I am a huge fan of open world games; and it is a very cheesy B-movie like game but also very fun and the visual style is great.
I'm actually surprised nobody ever mentions it.
I want to play it, but it won't work with my Ati card. In a couple months though...

Then there is Arkham Asylum with all those card specific extras. My card can do that, but frames drop to single digits.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
This backloggery site looks cool but I don't suppose there's a quick way of adding all your Steam games is there? Doing it manually will take forever.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I've decided to split my gaming time three ways between Saints Row 2, my Paradox staples (Darkest Hour/EU3) and a backlog game. Started with MOH: Airborne today, which is decently fun, especially considering that I paid 2.50 for it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

I want to play it, but it won't work with my Ati card. In a couple months though...

Then there is Arkham Asylum with all those card specific extras. My card can do that, but frames drop to single digits.

Though the developer got folded there is a patch that makes ATI cards work; it never got out of beta but beta patch 1.03 makes the game run great on my system.
I do miss PhysX ever since I got my old broken videocard replaced...

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Also jumped into Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood today. This game looks and runs really well on my computer, far better than I would have expected it to.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Does anyone know if the CD key comes with this when you download it? It's a screaming deal and I would like to take advantage of it but only if I can put the CD key in Steam...

http://www.direct2drive.com/9815/product/Buy-Fallout-New-Vegas-Digital-Collector%27s-Edition-Download

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 16, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Red Robin Hood posted:

Does anyone know if the CD key comes with this when you download it? It's a screaming deal and I would like to take advantage of it but only if I can put the CD key in Steam...

http://www.direct2drive.com/9815/product/Buy-Fallout-New-Vegas-Digital-Collector's-Edition-Download
Yes, it comes with a key that can be used in Steam. After you buy it, click the download button, scroll down a bit and you'll see your key.

I ended up buying Fallout: New Vegas as well. I couldn't resist at that price. :( Another for the unbeaten pile...

On the plus side, it's a game I've wanted get, and not something I got only because it was on sale.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Purple D. Link posted:

Yes, it comes with a key that can be used in Steam. After you buy it, click the download button, scroll down a bit and you'll see your key.

I ended up buying Fallout: New Vegas as well. I couldn't resist at that price. :( Another for the unbeaten pile...

On the plus side, it's a game I've wanted get, and not something I got only because it was on sale.

Well now I'm just going to HAVE to buy it :)

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I'm going to resist! I still have like 180 games unplayed/unfinished, mostly on Steam. At that point, waiting for a GOTY might be better (and will let me clear some backlog).

I started Alpha Protocol to go along Commandos : Behind Enemy Lines. I'm thinking doing all 3 games in a row will kill this real backlog action I started a bit more than a week ago

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zedd posted:

Though the developer got folded there is a patch that makes ATI cards work; it never got out of beta but beta patch 1.03 makes the game run great on my system.
I do miss PhysX ever since I got my old broken videocard replaced...
I heard of that, but it won't work for everyone. I know my luck is bad enough and it keeps another game off Steam for a few more months.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

SteamCalculator.com posted:

Found 126 Games with a value of $2124.75 USD
Oh my :ohdear:

Well I suppose I should get into this..

Signed up for a backloggery account and put in all my steam games. I'm not even gonna bother with my SNES, N64, DS, and PS2 games, that's gonna make me cry. (I might add them when I feel like playing them.)

Currently cycling through 3 games, AC Brotherhood, Borderlands, and PB Winterbottom, oh and Fable 3, I should add that on there.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 17, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

I heard of that, but it won't work for everyone. I know my luck is bad enough and it keeps another game off Steam for a few more months.

You're in luck: It ain't on steam. :p
I got it for +-4.5pound shipped from Zavvi myself.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Robzilla posted:

Oh my :ohdear:

Well I suppose I should get into this..

Signed up for a backloggery account and put in all my steam games. I'm not even gonna bother with my SNES, N64, DS, and PS2 games, that's gonna make me cry. (I might add them when I feel like playing them.)

Currently cycling through 3 games, AC Brotherhood, Borderlands, and PB Winterbottom, oh and Fable 3, I should add that on there.

How is Fable 3 going? It's strange to have a Microsoft game on Steam, I still find it bizarre. The games have always seemed rather dumbed-down and console-ified to me, I hope they managed to fix it up in the extra months the spent sorting the PC version out :downs:

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Lurchibles posted:

How is Fable 3 going? It's strange to have a Microsoft game on Steam, I still find it bizarre. The games have always seemed rather dumbed-down and console-ified to me, I hope they managed to fix it up in the extra months the spent sorting the PC version out :downs:
I haven't fully formed an opinion actually, I guess you could say I am not enjoying it all that much as it's more or less on my back burner. If I got sick of playing AC brotherhood or PB I'd try and find something else to play. Then again that just might be me having no interest in it for the past week. For instance, several days ago I didn't feel like picking up my controller for Brotherhood, and didn't feel like playing ANY PC games, dusted off my PS2 and started playing the Star Wars lego games.

I'm so loving fickle when it comes to games these days.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I'm about to finish Assassin's Creed 2, but I ended up breaking down and buying Brotherhood because I'm an idiot. Also definitely going to try and get all the unlockable things in Assassin's Creed 2 before moving on to Brotherhood.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm still working on KotoR. I'm 17 hours in, cleared Kashykk and I just defeated the Sand People Chieftan and found Griff on Tattoine. KotoR is really fun and I'm surprised I've put as much time into it as I have. I am pretty sure I'm about halfway through Tattoine, and if I remember correctly, only about 2 planets left.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Got rid of Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 and Project: Snowblind in the past few days, and uninstalled them. It's a really nice feeling slowly reclaiming your HD.

It's a shame I don't normally gun for hard modes in games (I'd rather not aggravate myself, unless I really like the game, like I'm going to do with Bioshock 2 on the xbox), or else I could mark games as Completed.

I could pad my backloggery stats with my xbox collection, but I'm only doing it with games I've played since starting my account. For example, getting the last few achievements on Beautiful Katamari, or beating the recently gotten Child of Eden.

I'm not like some jerks who put up gameboy games they last played 10 years ago and stick a COMPLETED on it. I've got my pride :colbert:

Anyway, I'm about to slog my way through Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. Last I picked it up, I beat the Japan mission, and I don't know much about what's coming up but I know it goes downhill in the later part of the game. Any tips or anything I should know?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Morter posted:

It's a shame I don't normally gun for hard modes in games (I'd rather not aggravate myself, unless I really like the game, like I'm going to do with Bioshock 2 on the xbox), or else I could mark games as Completed.

Go ahead and do it. When I feel DoneTM with a game, it's gettin' a {C}. When I feel like I could probably play it again, it'll just get a {B}.

vvv: :getin:

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 18, 2011

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

doctorfrog posted:

Go ahead and do it. When I feel DoneTM with a game, it's gettin' a {C}. When I feel like I could probably play it again, it'll just get a {B}.

But... but.... the integrity of our statkeeping :ohdear:...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Robzilla posted:

I haven't fully formed an opinion actually, I guess you could say I am not enjoying it all that much as it's more or less on my back burner. If I got sick of playing AC brotherhood or PB I'd try and find something else to play. Then again that just might be me having no interest in it for the past week. For instance, several days ago I didn't feel like picking up my controller for Brotherhood, and didn't feel like playing ANY PC games, dusted off my PS2 and started playing the Star Wars lego games.

I'm so loving fickle when it comes to games these days.

You do sound rather fickle, but hey, you can be right? You're playing the games so YOU can enjoy them - doesn't matter what people think :) I could never blame someone for playing the Star Wars lego games, they are so awesome :D

Thanks for the little bit of Fable 3 info, it doesn't sound overly captivating!