Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

DrDork posted:

That sounds like pressure damage. Maybe it got hit during shipping, or maybe you inadvertently gripped it there when taking it out of the box or something. In any event, it is unlikely you'll be able to fix it, and a return is probably your only option for remedy.

Damnit. It wasn't me that took it out of the box, so I can't know for sure. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
Quick question about repairing a small monitor scratch :smith:

I accidentally put a tiny scratch into an NEC MultiSync EA231WMi (an IPS LCD monitor). It doesn't seem to be more than 10 pixels across, but darned if I can't help but obsess over it.

Is there a safe, convenient way for me to repair it? I did some quick searches on google, but nothing really came up that was relevant for this specific panel type.

edit: I'd call it a "gash," but I don't want to over-dramatize the damage. I was moving a desk lamp, and the pointy-end of the metal shade "cut" into it slightly. The pixels seem undamaged.

XOIC of Radishes fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 13, 2011

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Is $550 a good price for a used in good condition Dell 3007WFP?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

BusinessWallet posted:

Is $550 a good price for a used in good condition Dell 3007WFP?

I would say yes. eBay seems to put good condition ones around $800.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
All I want to do is play games on it, do you think it's too big for that? I have a 2007WFP and I really love it, just want a bigger monitor.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

where did you find a 3007wfp for $550? That's cheap

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005

spaceship posted:

where did you find a 3007wfp for $550? That's cheap

Locally. I might go pick it up tomorrow.

dohminator
Oct 5, 2004

They can take our dignity. They can take all the hot women. But they will NOT take our jobs. And they will NEVER take our store!
Recently one of my monitors crapped out on me, and having a one monitor setup is just not in the cards. I'm debating between these two monitors and want to know which one I should go with or if there is another monitor in the $200 price range that I should look at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001486
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...#scrollFullInfo

edit: Crap the price on the samsung shot back up on me :(

edit 2: How about this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236121 I think I'm slowly convincing myself to spend more money than I should. :( Edit 3: I found it at a different store for $209 with free shipping. Unless someone tells me to not buy this, I'm pulling the trigger tomorrow.

dohminator fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 14, 2011

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Quick question about repairing a small monitor scratch :smith:

I accidentally put a tiny scratch into an NEC MultiSync EA231WMi (an IPS LCD monitor). It doesn't seem to be more than 10 pixels across, but darned if I can't help but obsess over it.

Is there a safe, convenient way for me to repair it? I did some quick searches on google, but nothing really came up that was relevant for this specific panel type.

edit: I'd call it a "gash," but I don't want to over-dramatize the damage. I was moving a desk lamp, and the pointy-end of the metal shade "cut" into it slightly. The pixels seem undamaged.

I scratched my 2407WFP this week while upgrading the RAM on my laptop (pulled up on the bottom panel too hard and yanked it right into the screen :()

Rubbing a tiny bit of vaseline into the scratch and then cleaning off the area was the only thing that had any (positive) effect; the scratch is only really noticeable because it causes light to diffract, and vaseline is pretty opaque so it diffracts less at that point.

Beacon
Jul 15, 2010
Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up a new monitor, about 1920x1080 resolution - are there any great monitors that jump out at this sort of size that you'd recommend? Otherwise, I've been looking at this. Thoughts, if you'd be so kind?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Dell U2311H, Asus ML239H, or LG IPS231P if you would like to experience the glory that is an IPS panel. See the OP for why that makes a difference.

Beacon
Jul 15, 2010
Thanks! In terms of benefits, does IPS in essence improve viewing angles? Is it worth the extra cash if I don't use my monitor apart from head-on? Those Asus and LG models are a bit more than the one I linked in my previous post, but if it's worth it I'll probably go for it. The contrast ratio difference between them is massive - does this result in noticeable improvements in say, gaming? What about the differences in response time?

Beacon fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 14, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The primary benefit of IPS panels are wider viewing angles. A TN panel can color- or contrast-shift even with just your movement in your chair, which might not bother you, but it's noticeable. IPS panels also tend to have better color saturation and more accurate color reproduction, whereas TN panels tend to oversaturate or otherwise fake up fewer colors to approximate a full range they're supposed to display. Technically, the U2311H does this, too, with a common method called temporal dithering; but it does it so well that it has fooled every reviewer who didn't know this fact beforehand.

IPS panels also tend to have better contrast than your average TN panel, including deeper blacks (though that varies based on backlighting tech) and whiter whites. That said, a few high-end TNs can be just as good (and in color accuracy/reproduction, too). Those are very rare, however, and not really cheaper except when looking at laptop displays.

The big downside of IPS panels is that they tend to respond a bit slower than a TN panel. Whether this will bother you depends highly on your sensitivity to such things. If you're hypersensitive about ghosting, an IPS panel will appear to ghost slightly unless you enable its overdrive (i.e. gaming) mode. If you're extremely sensitive to input lag, an IPS will often average about 10 ms more delay than a standard TN panel, or ~13 more than a 120 Hz or other high-speed TN (like the one you linked claims to be).

A lot of people are fine with this, some people don't mind it but prefer Overdrive mode for twitch FPS play (like me), and some people can't stand it. Unfortunately, the only way to really test whether an IPS screen's drawbacks are tolerable is to try one. Similarly, once you're used to IPS panels, TN screens tend to look a bit dull and washed-out. Except the high end ones like RGBLED laptop screens and Macbook screens and suchlike. That said, except for going to an Apple Store and playing with an iMac, iPad or an Apple Cinema Display (which use IPS panels), it's REALLY hard to find display models of IPS screens to check out.

Also, never trust a manufacturer's advertised contrast ratio. There are no standards by which they are measured, and you frequently get manufacturers offering the difference between "black with the backlight completely off" and "white with the backlight at a blinding 100%" - a range you could see over the space of a second with Dynamic Contrast (i.e. auto-changing backlight brightness) and Overdrive settings enabled, but not within a single image in a single moment. This method usually gives an unfair advantage to LED-backlit monitors, as well, which can completely shut off their backlighting as well as turn it up to eyeball-searing levels.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 14, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Beacon posted:

Thanks! In terms of benefits, does IPS in essence improve viewing angles?

Massively. Even if you view the screen head-on, you'll often notice the screen getting darker or washed out at the top or bottom of a TN panel, just by moving your head in the vertical plane.

Beacon
Jul 15, 2010
Thanks for the explanation guys!

Looking at that LG one on Ebuyer, it claims to have the same response time (5ms) as the TN one I linked earlier - is that reasonable? It's only a little more, so I'm worried there must be something I'm missing...

Would you suggest going for the LG?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

At that price, I can't imagine there'd be much to complain about

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
I still don't get the input lag thing. I routinely play all of my instruments to a *metronome* with 11ms input latency (ASIO buffer = 512 samples) and its never a problem. Over 30ms and I start to notice the "lag" sure. Even then it doesn't become truly unplayable until I switch from ASIO to DMA and start rocking latencies on the order or hundreds of ms. Maybe its different with moving images but I can't see it (pun not intended).

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Okay okay. I posted on the last page about having slight pressure damage on my new Benq XL2410T. I wasn't going to send it back but it's driving me loving nuts so now I am.

Anyway, I've opted for a full refund as I've been reading a lot of bad reviews of this monitor (why do these always suddenly appear right after I buy something?). Does anyone have something similar but better they can recommend? There's an LG one I guess, and also maybe some Samsung monitors coming out? Should I wait? I'm really not bothered about 3D, but I do like 120Hz from the brief experience I've had with the XL2410T.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

TN and IPS explanation.

I know there's a lot of info in the OP, but this should be up there too. I'm going to copy/paste this whenever friends asks about TN panels from Newegg and the Ultrasharp series from Dell.

Thanks for the general run-down. ;)

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004
What's the 6 vs 8 bit difference between eIPS and IPS panels? I can't figure out what in a monitor would be that few bits.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Pizer posted:

What's the 6 vs 8 bit difference between eIPS and IPS panels? I can't figure out what in a monitor would be that few bits.
It's a question of the number of brightness gradations each pixel can display. An 8 bit panel can display more variations of RGB, and hence more resultant colors than a 6 bit one can. However, the cost is speed; 8 bit panels are typically substantially slower than 6 bit ones. At the same time, the use of advanced dithering algorithms have made it so that the human eye would be very hard pressed to actually be able to discern the difference between the two, so the monitor industry as a whole has shifted to the faster 6 bit + dithering option.

For reference, the U2211h/U2311h use an 6 bit panel, and yet are uniformly commended for their excellent color reproduction and visual quality.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Pizer posted:

Color depth of the hardware. Rather than 8 bits (2^8 = 256 distinct shades) to describe each of red, green, and blue for a total of 16.7 million possible colors, only 6 bits are used for 262 thousand colors. Wide-gamut displays use 10-bit color for over a billion distinct colors.

6-bit displays can fake up more colors using temporal dithering, a technique which flickers pixels between the two closest colors the panel can show around the intended color.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

WanderingKid posted:

I still don't get the input lag thing. I routinely play all of my instruments to a *metronome* with 11ms input latency (ASIO buffer = 512 samples) and its never a problem. Over 30ms and I start to notice the "lag" sure.

In fast-paced shooter games, you are often facing enemy players with freakishly fast responses. These are dudes who can somehow see and headshot you across the map, two video frames after you appear on their screen. Any kind of lag in your system is just going to increase their advantage.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is it possible for an LCD to just break down? What's the lifespan on these things?

My old(5+ yrs) LCD monitor has started getting this weird purple/pink tint to it. The first time, it went away after about an hour. It would reoccur several times after but usually only for like a few seconds. This most recent time it changed colour it's been tinted for several hours now.

Time to start shopping for a new monitor?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Away all Goats posted:

Is it possible for an LCD to just break down? What's the lifespan on these things?

My old(5+ yrs) LCD monitor has started getting this weird purple/pink tint to it. The first time, it went away after about an hour. It would reoccur several times after but usually only for like a few seconds. This most recent time it changed colour it's been tinted for several hours now.

Time to start shopping for a new monitor?

What connector?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Color depth of the hardware. Rather than 8 bits (2^8 = 256 distinct shades) to describe each of red, green, and blue for a total of 16.7 million possible colors, only 6 bits are used for 262 thousand colors. Wide-gamut displays use 10-bit color for over a billion distinct colors.

6-bit displays can fake up more colors using temporal dithering, a technique which flickers pixels between the two closest colors the panel can show around the intended color.

Additionally, a way to tell whether it's a 6-bit panel instead of 8-bit: often they will be advertised as having 16.2 million colours instead of 16.7. Where they pull that number from, I have no clue, but it's a useful bit of information.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sinestro posted:

What connector?

The Monitor terminates in a VGA connector but connects to the PC's DVI port through an adapter.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Additionally, a way to tell whether it's a 6-bit panel instead of 8-bit: often they will be advertised as having 16.2 million colours instead of 16.7. Where they pull that number from, I have no clue, but it's a useful bit of information.
While this may have been true at one time, virtually all consumer-grade monitors these days are listed at 16.7M colors, regardless of their panel bit depth. Check out NewEgg: a total of 13 monitors are listed as 16.2M, and 264 are listed as 16.7M, despite the vast majority of those monitors being 6 bit.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What would be the best way to connect the U2311H to my MBP? Via display port or DVI? I haven't used or purchased an external monitor for a while so I don't know anything about this new display port connector. What should I purchase to be able to use the Dell U2311H with my Macbook Pro?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 15, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

DrDork posted:

While this may have been true at one time, virtually all consumer-grade monitors these days are listed at 16.7M colors, regardless of their panel bit depth. Check out NewEgg: a total of 13 monitors are listed as 16.2M, and 264 are listed as 16.7M, despite the vast majority of those monitors being 6 bit.

Aw :( Those sneaky bastards

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mitsune posted:

I know there's a lot of info in the OP, but this should be up there too. I'm going to copy/paste this whenever friends asks about TN panels from Newegg and the Ultrasharp series from Dell.

Thanks for the general run-down. ;)

Added to post #3!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

12 days of Dell deals began a couple days ago and the Ultra Sharp is on sale for $169 off. Ordered mine today for $489 CDN including PST and GST. Super stoked to FINALLY upgrade after 6 long years from my previous Dell.

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Check it out, not sure if the US has these too.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Vintersorg posted:

:words:

The U2410 is only $100 off in the US, making it $499. In other words, I hate you.

I need to get a new monitor and the 24" range seems to be perfect for me. Is there any reason why I would not like the HP zr24w?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

archangelwar posted:

I need to get a new monitor and the 24" range seems to be perfect for me. Is there any reason why I would not like the HP zr24w?

If you plan on hooking up things other than a computer to it, it is not the monitor for you (no scaler). There's also some FW bug that's detailed in the OP that a goon talked to HP about.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

movax posted:

If you plan on hooking up things other than a computer to it, it is not the monitor for you (no scaler). There's also some FW bug that's detailed in the OP that a goon talked to HP about.

It will be a PC only monitor for a variety of tasks. I can use a TN panel, but I would like to treat myself to something nice (so I am considering the ASUS listed in the op as well).

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

archangelwar posted:

It will be a PC only monitor for a variety of tasks. I can use a TN panel, but I would like to treat myself to something nice (so I am considering the ASUS listed in the op as well).

If you're interested, MacMall currently has the ZR24w for $370 shipped.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

What would be the best way to connect the U2311H to my MBP? Via display port or DVI? I haven't used or purchased an external monitor for a while so I don't know anything about this new display port connector. What should I purchase to be able to use the Dell U2311H with my Macbook Pro?
You can use either, without any qualitative difference. You can get a miniDP to DP cable for $5 or so: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6007&seq=1&format=2

archangelwar posted:

The ZR24W is standard gamut, so its colors will not "pop" as much as the U2410's wide-gamut will. Also, as movax said, you pretty much cannot connect anything that's not a PC to it and have it work well. But other than that, it's a very nice monitor, especially considering the price.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
So the Hanns-G HZ194APB 18.5" is on sale for $60 today. Anyone have experience with this monitor to know if it's a good deal? Seems incredibly cheap. Wish I had seen this before I picked up a U2311H, not that I'm complaining about it...

http://dealzon.com/deals/hanns-g-hz194apb-18-inch-lcd-monitor

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
it's pretty small, especially for a widescreen. I guess you could get like 6 of them and make your desk look like a trading desk from 1999 if you wanted to be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Are those monitors total pieces of poo poo, not even good enough to watch videos on, or do they actually have decent image quality?

I wonder if they'd be passable for things like streaming Netflix movies or browsing the net while playing a video game on your main screen. That kind of thing.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 15, 2011