Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I maybe be wrong about this, but if I had a kid I'd start him off with a grappling MA, like Judo, Sambo or Greco-Roman wrestling. I don't have anything against it, and I know Karate and Taekwondo are popular with american children, but I think kids don't really pick up on the important stuff doing it.

The wrestling types of martial arts are more physically challenging and you have to do techniques properly, or they just dont work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

zalmoxes posted:

I maybe be wrong about this, but if I had a kid I'd start him off with a grappling MA, like Judo, Sambo or Greco-Roman wrestling. I don't have anything against it, and I know Karate and Taekwondo are popular with american children, but I think kids don't really pick up on the important stuff doing it.

The wrestling types of martial arts are more physically challenging and you have to do techniques properly, or they just dont work.
While I agree in theory, wouldn't most kids benefit more from striking than grappling. At the very least, they are more likely to stick with it. I can't see a 6 year old falling in love with bjj the way he would with karate. Just my two cents, but I don't think I'd enroll my (future) kids into any sort of grappling till they were about 13.

e: you didnt mention BJJ specifically but I think the point is still valid for the ones you did mention.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 14, 2011

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Nierbo posted:

While I agree in theory, wouldn't most kids benefit more from striking than grappling. At the very least, they are more likely to stick with it. I can't see a 6 year old falling in love with bjj the way he would with karate. Just my two cents, but I don't think I'd enroll my (future) kids into any sort of grappling till they were about 13.

e: you didnt mention BJJ specifically but I think the point is still valid for the ones you did mention.

I've seen kids bjj classes run at a bunch of different schools, and the kids always look like they're having a great time. Obviously you can't structure it the same as an adult class(there's less drilling and more games for example) but the kids are defiantly learning a lot of jiu jitsu.

One huge advantage grappling arts have over striking arts is that kids can practice them at something approaching full speed. No one wants there kids doing full contact sparing in boxing, but kids can do everything(except sometimes submissions) at full speed and resistance.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

dokomoy posted:

I've seen kids bjj classes run at a bunch of different schools, and the kids always look like they're having a great time. Obviously you can't structure it the same as an adult class(there's less drilling and more games for example) but the kids are defiantly learning a lot of jiu jitsu.

One huge advantage grappling arts have over striking arts is that kids can practice them at something approaching full speed. No one wants there kids doing full contact sparing in boxing, but kids can do everything(except sometimes submissions) at full speed and resistance.

Good points.
I was watching the kids class at my judo club and it just seems like boring drivel. They barely do anything with technique, they're all just pushing each other over most of the time and I would never pay for my kids to go to that kids class, but I guess thats just my club.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

killendino_001 posted:

MA school for my 6 year old

If you want your kid to learn anything put him in boxing or wrestling. These are sports that are pretty simple though there are a lot of nuances to them. This will have the kid learn and give him/her a solid base for more complex stuff when he/she gets to puberty. Also he/she won't have a stupid black belt that's worth poo poo at age 14.

Edit: A good BJJ school will be good too.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

At a JJJ school you might be learning some bizarre mcdojo bullshit or you might be learning something completely awesome, hard to say.

Is there anything I should be looking for specifically? My only frame of reference for Martial Arts is classical fencing, and I don't think much of it would apply, if it makes it easier the school claims to teach Shinto Yoshin-Kai Jujitsu

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 14, 2011

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

KildarX posted:

Is there anything I should be looking for specifically? My only frame of reference for Martial Arts is classical fencing, and I don't think much of it would apply, if it makes it easier the school claims to teach Shinto Yoshin-Kai Jujitsu

Do you mean Shindō Yōshin-ryū? If so, here's a long interview with the current head of the art. http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=702 Not sure how much of that will make sense to someone unfamiliar with traditional japanese martial arts.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

KildarX posted:

Well you can listen out for buzzwords since presumably the instructor or an assistant instructor will sell you on the class. Anything involving "secret", "mystic", "hardcore" etc is probably a rip off. Watch the class or participate, most places in all styles tend to give a free class or two. If they refuse to do so, I would find somewhere else.

Resource wise, you can use Jujitsu America or the American Jujitsu Association as a starting point for school credentials. They don't encompass every style of JJJ but those are the two I deal with mostly. (Yes the sites are old looking)

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
edit: ^^^ Also see if they do any sparring or if their art is too "dangerous" to risk any sparring!

I'm stoked, my brother is in town for a week so I'm pulling him out to Krav tonight. He's a boxer and trains with some MMA guys down in Eugene Oregon where he goes to school. Any suggestions on maximizing loving with him? By "gently caress with him" I mean do some things that are so far outside his realm of experience that he will be doing a :psyduck:

Some ideas I've had so far are:
- Anything with several attackers.
- Gun take-away.
- Knife take-away.
- Some ground fighting.

Any other suggestions?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
At both schools I've trained at, bjj kids classes are pretty lose on technique. They teach the kids basic positions along with a fair mix of flashy sweeps that keep the kids interested.

At that young age, it's more important to keep short attention spans interested and have them thinking and moving in a bjj mindset, rather than teach them anything specific. If grappling becomes a natural part of their movements, they will pick up stuff incredibly quickly in their teens when they are old enough to understand more.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Good points.
I was watching the kids class at my judo club and it just seems like boring drivel. They barely do anything with technique, they're all just pushing each other over most of the time and I would never pay for my kids to go to that kids class, but I guess thats just my club.

That's because the kids are really just there to screw around, and most likely the instructor is just hoping to have them start to grasp the idea of Kuzishi and some basic matwork techniques. And the parents just are happy to see the kids have fun and come home tired. Up until middle school age you really can't do any more than that.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 14, 2011

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

It might seem like a strange complaint, but sometimes I really wish we focused on a particular technique for a couple weeks at a time. Maybe I'm a slow learner, but it takes me a while to understand the nuances in most techniques and just when I feel I'm starting to get somewhere class is over.. see you next time. And next class, we're doing something different.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Winkle-Daddy posted:

edit: ^^^ Also see if they do any sparring or if their art is too "dangerous" to risk any sparring!

I actually wouldn't worry about this as much for young kids; a lot of people have varying opinions on whether it's okay to let kids spar that young. Even here in Japan, there a lot of classes where kids can't do any real sparring in judo/kendo until they're in third grade.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I'm stoked, my brother is in town for a week so I'm pulling him out to Krav tonight. He's a boxer and trains with some MMA guys down in Eugene Oregon where he goes to school. Any suggestions on maximizing loving with him? By "gently caress with him" I mean do some things that are so far outside his realm of experience that he will be doing a :psyduck:

- Gun take-away.
- Knife take-away.
- Some ground fighting.

Any other suggestions?

I'd have him do some krav sparring. I do a lot of MMA sparring to work on my stand-up but watching some of these krav instructors spar it's a whole different (and dirtier) game.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

tarepanda posted:

I actually wouldn't worry about this as much for young kids; a lot of people have varying opinions on whether it's okay to let kids spar that young. Even here in Japan, there a lot of classes where kids can't do any real sparring in judo/kendo until they're in third grade.

When I first started and started sparring we had striking to the body as medium contact and the head as light contact. This was when I was 6.5-7 years old and it changed over the years to no contact to head from 12 and under in tournaments to no head contact under the age of 18 and requiring headgear for under 15.

I personally think it's a good thing for kids to spar because it can be fun as long as you keep tight control and obviously keep them together by age, size and maturity. My original instructor's approach was that a bully for kids would not hold back so you should be able to at least handle some contact.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Any suggestions on maximizing loving with him?

A couple of drills I "love" is the one where you fight against two assailants, both of whom are directly to your left and right. They take random turns in charging you trying to get shots in, which you can't see at all really unless you drop your head and look down (which makes peripheral vision magic). This is sort of doable unlike "get thrown into a van by six guys while you are blindfolded and they have weapons". However you can't truly face either attacker even momentarily, as you must constantly be aware of the other one even when countering or he will punch you in the back of the head.

Another fun one someone with striking ability could enjoy might be the fearsome semi-bad-angle enemy: the victim faces three opponents, the primary target, right in front of him, is whom he must keep in his direct line of sight at all times, while the two other attackers hover behind the shoulders of the primary, 45 to 90 degrees left and right from the victim. The guy who... benefits, err, the victim of the drill keeps his eyes locked on the primary target at all times no matter what happens, while the other two attackers take random turns wailing at the benefactor victim of the drill from his peripheral vision. If his eyes leave the primary he must be somehow punished like stabbing with plastic knife or pepperspray or having to eat 10 hot-dogs I don't know.

Edit: and with shots I mean strikes, and also now I can imagine an accomplished Judo guy having actualy fun with the drills above, repeatedly throwing the guys who come at him while staying on his feet. Or Steven Seagal, he'd just teleport them away with wrist control

Ligur fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 15, 2011

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Ligur posted:

A couple of drills I "love" is the one where you fight against two assailants, both of whom are directly to your left and right. They take random turns in charging you trying to get shots in, which you can't see at all really unless you drop your head and look down (which makes peripheral vision magic).

Gonna do a lot of this. Right now. Thanks!

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

generatrix posted:

I love the hip sweep/kimura combination. Once you get better at reading peoples' body position and defenses, you can go up over the shoulder and do whichever one they're least prepared to defend.

I swept two different white belts with this tonight! Almost got my first tap out with a choke from full mount but the timer ran out. I got schooled the rest of the open mat because I was obviously pretty one dimensional going for the same sub each time, but I got a lot of great pointers on defending side and full mount so it's never a waste. I love this poo poo so much

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

I bruised a rib in judo class and everything hurts tonight, including taking a breath.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

zalmoxes posted:

I bruised a rib in judo class and everything hurts tonight, including taking a breath.

Take this seriously. Don't be afraid to take time off or you'll regret it. I had the same thing happen last year and it took a solid month to feel ok doing sports and a little more to do judo.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

zalmoxes posted:

If you have any trouble breathing get to a doctor now now now

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Illegal Username posted:

If you have any trouble breathing get to a doctor now now now

yeah this also. Some pain in the rib while taking very deep breath is "normal" if you have a bruised rib. But if you can't take deep breath because it's too painful and/or just regular breathing is painful you need to see a doctor right now.

This could mean that one of your rib is poking your lung which means you could die. Dying is no fun so go see a doctor if breathing is painful/difficult.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

Thanks guys, but it's not that bad. I can breathe fine, but if I take a deep breath or I roll on my left side in bed it's painful. I'll probably take the rest of the week off and see if it's better.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

zalmoxes posted:

Thanks guys, but it's not that bad. I can breathe fine, but if I take a deep breath or I roll on my left side in bed it's painful. I'll probably take the rest of the week off and see if it's better.

I was in a similar situation and felt just like you and decided to not see a doctor and I was fine/didn't die. So I understand your choice, but remember to force yourself to take a very deep breath a few times a day. I think you can develop some sort of problem with your lung if you don't.

Anyway, 1 week off is not enough if you have a bruised rib. Where is it exactly? If it's one of the floating rib you definitely need to go see a doctor now no matter how good you think you are feeling. If it's not then you're much safer. Remember to give it plenty of time to heal, mine came back to haunt me (I had a fair bit of pain everytime anyone put his weight on me, which is 100% of the time during newaza)and I almost yelled in pain when some guy rammed me with his knee for some knee on belly action.

If you don't give it time to heal, you could have it resurface every now and then which definitely sucks more than taking some time off.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

KingColliwog posted:

I was in a similar situation and felt just like you and decided to not see a doctor and I was fine/didn't die. So I understand your choice, but remember to force yourself to take a very deep breath a few times a day. I think you can develop some sort of problem with your lung if you don't.

Atelectisis and hypoventilation induced hypercapnia. Basically if you're not filling them occasionally the air sacks of the lungs collapse and stick together due to surface tension. Plus if you're breathing too shallowly you won't blow off enough CO2. Just take deep pursed lip breathes for about a minute every hour or two and it's no concern at all, and it's pretty unlikely in a healthy person even with a bruised rib.

I'm pretty sure I separated my rib where it meets the costal cartilage right at the start of June, I still can't roll. A hug from an old man at church made me tap out.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Alright! So, thanks for the suggestions for last night everyone! My brother was sufficiently :psyduck:

As I said, he's an MMA/boxing guy. On our way in I let him know that the warm ups "may" be a bit brutal but push through it. He told me not to worry about it that his warm up for boxing is to jog for ten miles. After ten minutes of a cross-fit style regiment for warm ups he was on his knees gasping for air. It was loving beautiful! I let the instructor know I had some ideas for what we could do last night, and offered up a couple of suggestions based on feedback here. This is what we ended up doing for maximum awesome:

- 3 strike combo. A jab, a cross, then a bursting right punch. Though what was loving with him was the fact that the instructor kept yelling at him to keep all ten toes forward; something you don't really do against a single opponent. When my brother tried to explain the merits of having his right foot back and angled about 45 degrees he was shown exactly how easy it was to collect his legs and throw him to the ground. My brother his 6'2", 210. My instructor is probably 5'6" and 155. It was hilarious.

- Groin kicks. All I can say about this is a quote from my bro "Goddamn, why you gotta learn to fight so dirty?"

- Choke from behind with the choker slamming you up against a wall. This one was sort of meh for a non-krav person as it was too hard for him to grasp the basic concepts for it to really gently caress with him.

- Stress inoculation. There were probably 20 of us in class. Each person got a kick shield except the one guy in the middle on his back. Music blasting and a swarm of people descend on the guy in the middle and attempt to hold him down for as long as possible. This was the greatest amount of loving as possible.

Long story short: It was a loving awesome work out and it was great seeing someone with 3+ years of boxing under their belt with a healthy amount of MMA sparring get their rear end totally beat to poo poo with what are some level 1 simple drills. :)

Though, I fear next time I'm visiting him, I'll be forced to step into the ring, which I am quite honestly not very equipped for!

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Winkle-Daddy posted:

he was shown exactly how easy it was to collect his legs and throw him to the ground. My brother his 6'2", 210. My instructor is probably 5'6" and 155. It was hilarious.

Can you elaborate on this please?

Oh also another thing you're coming off as really smug and "krav is so badass", but truth is any sport will kick your rear end the first time you do it. He'd probably be pretty beat up after warmup drills for cricket.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

zalmoxes posted:

It might seem like a strange complaint, but sometimes I really wish we focused on a particular technique for a couple weeks at a time. Maybe I'm a slow learner, but it takes me a while to understand the nuances in most techniques and just when I feel I'm starting to get somewhere class is over.. see you next time. And next class, we're doing something different.

My old school was pretty great about consistency, it was like 4 techniques a week, with 2 days each of the same thing. My instructor there was a very organized neat person and had the best run, most efficient martial arts academy I've ever seen.

Sometimes it got boring doing the same drat thing every day, but sometimes I miss that consistency and well structured class.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

niethan posted:

Can you elaborate on this please?

A lot of tournament martial arts have you bladed off to your opponent because you know you will be facing a single opponent in a tournament style fight. Having one foot forward and another off to an angle is a very strong position to be when facing a single attacker in that kind of situation. However, once unorthodoxed attacks are brought into the mix (such as a boxer against a wrestler/bjj guy) you have to pay more attention to how your feet/legs can be collected. When you create that angle you can think of your two feet as the legs of a tripod with an invisible third leg that *should* basically be coming out of your rear end to be that third leg. In the absence of that leg, collecting someone and going in that direction will be a much easier take down then someone with feet forward that can more easily shuffle back and out of the way to reduce the purchase.

It's sort of hard to explain in words. I'll see if I can't find a video explanation that demonstrates this better.

Also, boxers don't need their feet forward ready to kick. But for a general martial artist your right leg is generally your strongest weapon. In a frantic situation you can lose a lot of power by having to rotate your hip to get a kick out. A lot of fighters are doing a more round-house kick which is fine if it's off to an angle but in my experience it's much easier to have all ten toes forward and switch to a round-house then it is to be at an angle and switch to a front. But from a defense standpoint that's more of a side tangent that is more a "general truth" and certainly not true of those who train to be strong kickers.

niethan posted:

Oh also another thing you're coming off as really smug and "krav is so badass", but truth is any sport will kick your rear end the first time you do it. He'd probably be pretty beat up after warmup drills for cricket.

Heh, sorry about that, I don't mean to be a smug rear end in a top hat and certainly don't think that at all! My brother is a dick head that is under the impression that the fights that go on in a frat house because some dude hosed another dude's girl are the only kind of fights there are in the world; so why would anyone for any reason ever want to even think about fighting dirty?

If there is any smug, it's directed exclusively at my brother for his inability to see beyond a contrived scenario. I know goddamn well that most martial arts have their place with different ideas and goals. And most people are capable of respecting that and entering into a new arena with a sense of humility about learning something new. I, myself have done enough martial arts that I would feel like a total loving jackass to even infer that one is objectively much better then another. I should have put in a little more back story so I didn't come off that way. So for that I do apologize!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
As you should, you rear end in a top hat, you didn't mention the two guys directly left and right drill so you didn't do it now did you?!

Your brother sort of has one thing right, probably 90%+ of the fights in most of our lives ever would start and end with 2-5 seconds of boxing because "you said my friend is a fag/you hosed my ex" :haw: Then you get out of high school or the frat house and never fight again unless you are really unlucky at the night grill :allears:

Just bs'ing, street fights are always whatever it seems, you can't tell, also rarely is there only one person involved and everything is good to learn etc.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Winkle-Daddy posted:

It's sort of hard to explain in words. I'll see if I can't find a video explanation that demonstrates this better.

That'd be cool, cause I can't really picture it. I assume you mean single/double leg takedowns when you talk about picking up legs? How do you get power into your punches and kicks without rotating your hips? Maybeprobably im misunderstanding krav maga stance.

Lucificate
Jan 4, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've spent two weeks in Florida being fat and lazy. I can't wait to get home and start training again.
I was hoping to just run a little bit to keep myself active, but stifling heat and humidity mixes really badly with cardio for some reason.

(E: especially if you're used to running when it's 50f and overcast.)

If you are still in Florida around Pensacola and looking for a place to do BJJ, you could pretty easily make the drive over to Capitao BJJ in Fort Walton Beach. We have guys who come from near Penscola, De Funiak Springs, etc. I myself make a 30 minute drive to go there.

Two BJJ black belts run the school - Danny Ruiz (under Ricardo De La Riva) and Daniel Silva (under Marcelo Grosso/De La Riva). Also a very active MMA program with 6-7 active fighters in local southeastern shows.

You can try it out for a week before joining.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Edit: Ligur - I suggested it to the instructor! But I liked some of his ideas too, and you know...he was running the class and all. Don't worry, next time he's up, I'll make sure we do it before/after class.

niethan posted:

That'd be cool, cause I can't really picture it.

Finding a video for exactly what I'm trying to show has proven fruitless so far. But I'll take a crack at an attempt for better explanation.

niethan posted:

I assume you mean single/double leg takedowns when you talk about picking up legs?

Correct. Picture a boxer standing in front of his opponent with his left foot pointed forward and his right foot off to an angle for those super strong right punches being driven by a rotation of the right foot. Now, picture a second opponent who is parallel to the angle of the boxers right foot. Imagine this second opponent drives in low and strong, collecting the legs (either picking them up as you said) or simply driving force at a downward angle. The angle of attack for this motion should be about a foot to a foot and a half behind where the angles of the boxers feet would converge.

The situation gets much worse if the second attacker is behind the boxer (I don't mean to pick on boxing, but it's an easily pictured stance). If that second attacker is perpendicular to the angle of the right foot it becomes much easier to collect the legs and take the opponent to the ground.

My god, I'm explaining this horribly! Also remember that the reason krav students are taught this way is because there is no sport application of krav maga. The moment class is over and the Bas Rutten fight club starts and you're fighting a single opponent again the stance is much more sensible and more what everyone is used to.

Maybe this will help more. Stand with both of your feet about shoulder width apart on the balls of your feet. Imagine someone pushes you from behind and you step forward with your left foot to catch yourself. At this point you should be quite lose with both knees bent. Your right heel should be off the ground with all ten toes pointed forward. Movement is all shuffling from here with no crossing hemispheres with your feet. This simply puts you in an easier to grasp position to defend yourself from multiple attackers.

As someone who did various flavors of karate, tae kwan do and aikido before krav, the stance has been the most difficult thing for me to grasp and I still find myself constantly correcting myself which is probably why I'm having such a difficult time explaining it.

niethan posted:

How do you get power into your punches and kicks without rotating your hips? Maybeprobably im misunderstanding krav maga stance.

Punches: You rotate your right foot some, just not as exaggerated as you would in other martial arts, but most of the power in this will come from rotating your hip and shoulders.

Kicks: There are a couple of basic kicks that all work from this position. There is the groin kick which will be your right foot starting back behind you, being cocked by bringing your knee up, then leaning back (moving your chest to be more parallel to the ceiling) and snapping your foot out and back. The same basic mechanics apply no matter where the target is straight on. But in krav there are really only a few targets. Groin, stomach and that big rear end nerve on your thigh.

For the nerve on the thigh, this is an overly complicated kick because of the stance you're in! You will start it like a front kick but then rotate your hips over so the power is actually a downward motion. The strike is going down as opposed to what most would picture a more roundhouse kick being; the angle of attack being moving in parallel to the floor.

That's a lot of words, but maybe it'll help some.

After I wrote all that, let me suggest watching the episode of "Human Weapon" about krav maga. the full episode is on YouTube. While they don't talk about a lot of this, if you're looking for it, you can see some of what I'm talking about pretty clearly throughout the episode. That will probably show it a lot better then I can type it!

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 15, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Kicks: There are a couple of basic kicks that all work from this position. There is the groin kick which will be your right foot starting back behind you, being cocked by bringing your knee up, then leaning back (moving your chest to be more parallel to the ceiling) and snapping your foot out and back. The same basic mechanics apply no matter where the target is straight on. But in krav there are really only a few targets. Groin, stomach and that big rear end nerve on your thigh.

For the nerve on the thigh, this is an overly complicated kick because of the stance you're in! You will start it like a front kick but then rotate your hips over so the power is actually a downward motion. The strike is going down as opposed to what most would picture a more roundhouse kick being; the angle of attack being moving in parallel to the floor.

Ehhhhh...I'll fight you on this one.

I can throw every kick I threw in muay thai from a krav stance, plus a few extras.

As opposed to your feet being perpendicular in a boxing/muay thai stance, your feet are running parallel. This serves to make it way easier to boot someone in the dick. However, now your weight is more evenly distributed.

The different weight distribution has two main effects:

1) My rear foot jab suddenly becomes far more feasible; and
2) It's harder to pick my left shin to block, so I don't do the traditional muay thai same-side elbow-to-knee block. For a leg kick, I'll generally absorb it on top of my thigh (as opposed to the sides) and I'll absorb a higher kick on the soft part of both my forearms (there's other blocks but they're more complicated to describe.)

Also, once I got used to the switch in stance, my power came back.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Lucificate posted:

If you are still in Florida around Pensacola and looking for a place to do BJJ, you could pretty easily make the drive over to Capitao BJJ in Fort Walton Beach. We have guys who come from near Penscola, De Funiak Springs, etc. I myself make a 30 minute drive to go there.

Two BJJ black belts run the school - Danny Ruiz (under Ricardo De La Riva) and Daniel Silva (under Marcelo Grosso/De La Riva). Also a very active MMA program with 6-7 active fighters in local southeastern shows.

You can try it out for a week before joining.

No, Sadly, I've only just come back home to Norway from Pensacola today. I didn't really have a car available to me, which was the root of the problem. I knew there was even a gracie barra school there, but since I couldn't drive (didn't bring my license), it wasn't really an option if it was out of waking distance.
It's funny, I actually did see a sign advertising for mma fights in pensacola last saturday, but unfortunately I was unable to go-- MMA in redneck, florida sounded like hell of fun. My girlfriend was trying to get me to try to join the fights because she hates me, too. Thankfully, I'm not quite that dumb yet.

It's back to training at my old gym for now, and I'm looking forwards to it. Sad to leave the US, though.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Ehhhhh...I'll fight you on this one.

I can throw every kick I threw in muay thai from a krav stance, plus a few extras.

As opposed to your feet being perpendicular in a boxing/muay thai stance, your feet are running parallel. This serves to make it way easier to boot someone in the dick. However, now your weight is more evenly distributed.

The different weight distribution has two main effects:

1) My rear foot jab suddenly becomes far more feasible; and
2) It's harder to pick my left shin to block, so I don't do the traditional muay thai same-side elbow-to-knee block. For a leg kick, I'll generally absorb it on top of my thigh (as opposed to the sides) and I'll absorb a higher kick on the soft part of both my forearms (there's other blocks but they're more complicated to describe.)

Also, once I got used to the switch in stance, my power came back.

I don't think we disagree at all! The point about being more difficult was in comparison to what a lot of karate/tae kwan do people are used to. Basically, it's more difficult (not impossible, or even that hard, just simply "more" difficult) to throw kicks that rely on pivoting your left foot while swinging your right foot around. It's not "hard" it's just different. After several months of krav; I haven't been doing it that long at this point, I'm starting to understand the method to the madness of standing with toes pointed forward. I agree with everything you said! I would just say that it feels more "natural" when throwing a roundhouse style kick to have your right foot angled is all.

At this point in my krav experience the closest we've even come to a roundhouse kick was the more complicated downward thigh busting kick I described above. I am compelled to admit that my legs are slow as poo poo compared to other people. My hand speed is and always has been pretty good, but I've never been very good at kicking well. Though, since we're talking about it I'm gonna hand my wife a pad and throw some of my karate kicks at her from a krav stance and see how it feels.

I'm pretty ashamed of my slow foot speed so this is a good opportunity for me to really start working on one of my bigger weaknesses. I think as I continue to solidify my fundamentals with my hands I need to be more mindful about letting my legs fall too far behind technique wise. My wife yells at me a lot about practicing my kicks on my steel framed (but nicely padded) couch.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Well poo poo, looks like my Judo club taking the summer off might be turning into taking forever off, and the closest alternate club is 100 miles away.

Guess I might finally be getting around to getting that BJJ blue belt.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My inability to do anything but solid basics is becoming more and more obvious when i spar with the advanced guys at my gym.

Hands are pretty solid and I always end with a kick, knee, or clinch attempt to keep guys on their toes. What I can't do is the following:

Catch Kicks
Catch Hands
Follow Motherfuckers On the Mat- It's like my punches are always 1 inch away from landing. Trying my best to move more as a result.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 15, 2011

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Well poo poo, looks like my Judo club taking the summer off might be turning into taking forever off, and the closest alternate club is 100 miles away.

Guess I might finally be getting around to getting that BJJ blue belt.

That's a real bummer man. Why is this? Not enough members? Dumb money things? Instructor moving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

That's a real bummer man. Why is this? Not enough members? Dumb money things? Instructor moving?

We're a university club so money/space isn't an issue. But all of the black belts, including myself, have jobs that require travel. So nobody can commit to being there for every class, and it's very likely there will be periods this fall where all of us are gone at the same time for multi-week stretches. Really sucks since this club has been active continuously since the late 60s. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that we figure something out.

• Locked thread