Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
Got a phone interview with Playground Games for the level designer position, wish me luck! The advice on my portfolio in the last thread really helped, thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Monster w21 Faces posted:

What about faces though? I mean if you were to use a standard body mesh how would you save memory and yet have varied heads?

I thought you were talking about the rigid animation of quake, sorry :)

Head swaps are common, although a lot of games will have one common head that has a bunch of morph targets and different normal/texture maps to effectively make it different heads (with the same topology). This lets you use one set of morph target data to animate all the faces in the game, rather than creating a full set of morph targets per head.

Other games will use a bone-based facial rig instead, or custom morph targets per character.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

FreakyZoid posted:

Exactly. I could never wear those to work - something about wearing the same t-shirt as 20 other people in the room makes me feel a little too "fast food worker".

I'm sort of the same way, which is why I use my companies game's tshirts (the ones they sell to the public) instead of the company ones. It achieves the same promotion of your employer/product, except the shirts they sell to the public look way cooler and you can wear them anywhere you would a tshirt without it being weird at all. :)

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Graduation is in exactly a month. Classes end this week. I'm so fuckin' nervous/anxious, I need a job pretty much ASAP. The hunt starts now.

Speaking of, anybody know of any studios looking for a 3d artist? :downs:

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Hey now, my Lady Gaga / Farmville shirt garners tons of compliments!

The ones you have to watch out for are the black shirt with blue/purple/red logo or a full back graphic. Down that road lies sadness.

edit: vvvvvvvvv NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

devilmouse fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 14, 2011

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

devilmouse posted:

The ones you have to watch out for are the black shirt with blue/purple/red logo or a full back graphic. Down that road lies sadness.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

devilmouse posted:

Yeah - there are shirts that are just nice shirts that happen to have your company's logo on them, and then there are... shirts.

I like my "Tak <lightning bolt>" shirt, which was designed by an artist based entirely on an internal joke. It looks like a metal band shirt, it's awesome.

EDIT: VV That isn't really weird, that's them trying to get you out the door because of aforementioned crazies policy, and having an existing pipeline focused on resumes not coming in in hard-copy form. It's much easier to work with if it's a digital copy.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 14, 2011

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Alterian posted:

A lot of studios won't let random people in because of the crazies. Whenever we have anyone stop by, our secretary refers them to the website and sends them on their way.

This isn't the best way to do it and can hurt your chances. A lot of studios don't give out their addresses for reasons.

When I was handing out applications in Fukuoka, I went to Level 5 personally. After ringing the lobby phone, I gave the person that came my application. He got two or three more people, went into the office and he came back, telling me to send it in per mail. To the exact same address.

Weird.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: VV That isn't really weird, that's them trying to get you out the door because of aforementioned crazies policy, and having an existing pipeline focused on resumes not coming in in hard-copy form. It's much easier to work with if it's a digital copy.

That's the weird part, they asked him to send the hard copy in by mail instead of just taking the hard copy he had just given them. I'm sure the reasoning was the same, though, but it's still kinda funny.

It was probably HR being nitpicky.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

mutata posted:

That's the weird part, they asked him to send the hard copy in by mail instead of just taking the hard copy he had just given them. I'm sure the reasoning was the same, though, but it's still kinda funny.

It was probably HR being nitpicky.

Yeah, some weird bureaucratic guidelines were in play there. If they had written on their website they'd prefer online applications, I would've sent it that way.
Online applications I've found in Japan are mostly forms without any way to attach a portfolio. Companies guilty of that are Nintendo, Konami and Namco Tales Studio, even though the last one also accepted a hard copy sent in.
Keiji Inafune's new studios accept online and physical applications, but you have to ask for the information first.

Now I'm waiting for a response from a company in Osaka that requested some additional material. A design document for at least 1 minigame for use in an action game, and a little essay why I chose that company.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I remember several years ago at EA, I went downstairs to talk to the receptionist. But she couldn't chat because she was on the phone with some guy who had bought the Sims used, and was furious that the CD key was either used or not in the box (can't recall). He'd just looked up EA in the phonebook or something and called our receptionist (EA Sports != Maxis). It was so surreal. Apparently he threatened to call the cops on us.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Chasiubao posted:

I remember several years ago at EA, I went downstairs to talk to the receptionist. But she couldn't chat because she was on the phone with some guy who had bought the Sims used, and was furious that the CD key was either used or not in the box (can't recall). He'd just looked up EA in the phonebook or something and called our receptionist (EA Sports != Maxis). It was so surreal. Apparently he threatened to call the cops on us.

I banned some guy for using a map hack in AOE3, and like a month later he shows up at our office in Plano, TX having driven from Ft. Lauderdale. He was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and jeans and with his duty belt on, including gun. The man was a police officer from Florida, and "just wanted to talk to the guy who banned" him. He also said he wasn't crazy! He wasn't allowed in and eventually left after talking with one of our management.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

dunkman posted:

I banned some guy for using a map hack in AOE3, and like a month later he shows up at our office in Plano, TX having driven from Ft. Lauderdale. He was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and jeans and with his duty belt on, including gun. The man was a police officer from Florida, and "just wanted to talk to the guy who banned" him. He also said he wasn't crazy! He wasn't allowed in and eventually left after talking with one of our management.

I'm pretty sure that's one of the textbook definitions of crazy :stare:

In other news aside from actually packing and driving south I think I'm all set to head out to Austin. Gave my two-weeks notice today, brushing up on 3DS Max (I work primarily with Maya) and buying shorts...lots of shorts...

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind
I have a phone interview for Associate Producer at Playground Games on Friday. Fingers crossed!

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Andio posted:

I have a phone interview for Associate Producer at Playground Games on Friday. Fingers crossed!

honeymustard posted:

Got a phone interview with Playground Games for the level designer position, wish me luck! The advice on my portfolio in the last thread really helped, thanks guys.

Meanwhile I'm paying £75 for a train journey to go down there tomorrow. :stare:

Best of luck to all of us then :D

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind

Aliginge posted:

I think you may have skipped the phone interview process and gone straight to a face-to-face interview. Good luck!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Aliginge posted:

They're not paying your travel costs?

And good luck!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Ohshi- Interviews are going this week? I hope my agent busts rear end to get this.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Aliginge posted:

Good luck dude!

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

After so many years of just passing them around in email when people ask or when I come across interesting ones, I've started to formally build up an archive of interesting / well-reasoned academic papers on game design with useful lessons (not just swilly "Hey, look games are interesting and I have written a paper on them!" trash, either.) from a variety of disciplines. I like sending them around to spark discussions or as interesting weekend reading material.

Does anyone do anything similar or have a cache of good papers to share (or just links to them)? I'll probably dump them all in a wiki or something when I've got critical mass.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

What sort of skills are companies looking for in a producer? A lot of the applications I've applied to just list things like "experience with agile development, ability to meet goals, be able to multitask, good communication skills, etc." Aside from the bit about agile development, I'm not sure on how to show in my resume and cover letter that I have these sorts of skills.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Space Opera posted:

What sort of skills are companies looking for in a producer? A lot of the applications I've applied to just list things like "experience with agile development, ability to meet goals, be able to multitask, good communication skills, etc." Aside from the bit about agile development, I'm not sure on how to show in my resume and cover letter that I have these sorts of skills.

Shipped titles, I reckon.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
A lead producer was recounting an interview with the production assistant he ended up hiring. The PA had been in the military previously, primarily with logistics and procurement, telling one story where he had to move an entire base hundreds of miles in a short timeframe. This impressed the hell out of the lead, not just with the subject matter but with the delivery as well - calm, confident, and charismatic.

Any time you're responsible for the management and completion of a complex project, you're essentially a producer. If you don't have industry-specific experience there, you might be able to relate with any crazy stuff you've done outside. Of course, depending on the size and atmosphere of the team, you'll need to demonstrate a grasp on videogame production workflows and processes, either in your resume/cover letter or during the interview.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
I'm thinking about working for awhile and try to apply for game programming/coding positions to see if its my thing.

I'll be working on a portfolio before I apply anywhere, but I'm wondering what kind of questions will be asked. This is where I'm at right now:

* I don't know all of my data structures other than the simple ones, like linked lists/trees/etc, though I could brush up on them relatively quickly. Not to say I'm bad at pointers or anything.
* I'm pretty ingrained on C, understand C++ pretty well on the compiled level though not too experienced in the OO aspect of C++ yet (though I've professionally worked in Java for 2 years).
* I understand processor architecture well enough and find it interesting. Would like to look into GPU hardware some time. I've written a toy C compiler (does basic optimizations, nothing too special) in a graduate class and worked on some language research.
* Have a good understanding on basic 3D math like vectors, dot/cross products. I would like to make my trig better as all I know is SOH/CAH/TOA and how it relates to right triangles. I should brush up on my calculus as well.
* Gotten into OpenGL/3D graphics at the beginning of the year through a grad class; learned and wrote a third person game/experiment/engine with a deferred rendering pipeline and was pretty happy about it, even though it was organized horribly. Then again, what first-time game/engine/thingy isn't? It was also my first real foray into C++ but I understood it a lot better afterwards. It also cemented 3D concepts and enabled me to write/understand a per-pixel lighting shader. Was writing in support for transparency (kind of worked, came out real transparent and hard to see) and wanted to implement Shalinor's ambient occlusion method she wrote about awhile back, but ran out of time. All in all it was a real fun experience and I'm trying to find the time to work on all that stuff some more.

I feel comfortable enough in being real low-level and my C prowess, but I should work on my C++, math and some DirectX. I'm a fast learner when applying any knowledge, so I got that going for me too but not really sure how that would be expressible in a resume/portfolio.

Any suggestions? Probable interview questions/what people would expect?

EDIT: I'll try and participate in this year's GameDev thing, hopefully time will permit me to work on it some.

ShinAli fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 15, 2011

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Good grief, it's been a roller coaster of emotion with New York City's game industry this week. First THQ fold Kaos, then Avalanche Studios springs up, and now Powerhead has laid off it's employees and is closing down on Friday.

Note Block fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 15, 2011

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Aliginge posted:

Aaaand it went pretty good!

Got on well with the artist guys who interviewed me, they critiqued the gently caress out of my art test which was definitely enlightening and showed me a lot of my own weaknesses to work on and especially my tendancy to stylise and exaggerate colour rather than drawing it back and aiming towards photoreal. Guilty as charged, I ain't gonna bullshit them. :v:

Next couple of days I should have a yes/no. Now if you'll excuse me, I've some Max to study c:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Aliginge posted:

especially my tendancy to stylise and exaggerate colour rather than drawing it back and aiming towards photoreal. Guilty as charged, I ain't gonna bullshit them. :v:

Every good style has its niche, but I love that you're sticking to your guns on this. We need more artists to be bold in their work.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

isk posted:

Every good style has its niche, but I love that you're sticking to your guns on this. We need more artists to be bold in their work.

That's not the way to get hired as a production artist... Not being able to walk into a new company and adapt to whatever their art style is akin to a programmer saying, "I refuse to use your coding standards/style." or worse, "I refuse to learn this internal language you use."

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I like to treat it as a game: how can I work my own style into whatever the project is? I'll make your photoreal building, but it's gonna have goofy cartoon grafitti or something!

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

isk posted:

Well as a general art thing I like to do, colour and light is something I love being bold with rather than ambiguous and subtle, but they have it dead on when they say it doesn't look photoreal and doesn't meet the brief. Brief comes first in the end. :v:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 16, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Aliginge posted:

Well as a general art thing I like to do, colour and light is something I love being bold with rather than ambiguous and subtle, but they have it dead on when they say it doesn't look photoreal and doesn't meet the brief. Brief comes first in the end. :v:
Good response.

There is sticking to your guns artistically, but there is also understanding that if you're an artist making characters for a gritty space marine shooter drama, and you are tasked with making Gritter Shooter Man Dramatic Dude, that it really needs to be gritty space marine drama-esque and fit the style defined by the director - instead of making a pony that shoots rainbows out of its rear end.

... or you could go work for THQ, where you can stick to the style AND make a pony that shoots rainbows out of its rear end. That works too.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

devilmouse posted:

That's not the way to get hired as a production artist... Not being able to walk into a new company and adapt to whatever their art style is akin to a programmer saying, "I refuse to use your coding standards/style." or worse, "I refuse to learn this internal language you use."

Yeah, I may have been unclear because I agree with you, 100%. It's a reason why so many portfolios fail; they've got the ultra-detailed heroes and demons, but there's not a wooden chair or rusty trashcan in sight.

No, my point was that so much art in games now is bland and uninspired. That's a crime and a cop-out especially considering the available tech and the amount of talent available.

Congruency with the art direction is vital, but so is maintaining and keeping relevant one's own art style so that if you do go on to that position of lead character/environment artist, you're able to guide the team into delivering assets that pop (either quietly or loudly, as needed) while remaining plausible and homogenous within the game.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Got an email today from Raven about a design internship they want me to interview for! Hooray!

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Got an email today from Raven about a design internship they want me to interview for! Hooray!

Awesome! Make sure you have a decent list of questions for the interviewer. I'm partially convinced that's what sealed the job I just landed. If I hadn't had anything to ask him (or very little) then the interviewwould have been about 15min long instead of ~30min of really great games conversation

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Yeah, I've got my list from the Treyarch interview a month ago. Still don't know why I didn't get that :smith:

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Anyone at Cie Games down in Long Beach?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Good response.

There is sticking to your guns artistically, but there is also understanding that if you're an artist making characters for a gritty space marine shooter drama, and you are tasked with making Gritter Shooter Man Dramatic Dude, that it really needs to be gritty space marine drama-esque and fit the style defined by the director - instead of making a pony that shoots rainbows out of its rear end.

... or you could go work for THQ, where you can stick to the style AND make a pony that shoots rainbows out of its rear end. That works too.

You have a blue star does that mean you can change the thread title at a whim?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Chasiubao posted:

You have a blue star does that mean you can change the thread title at a whim?
Yes, I suppose. Seems decent enough, though.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Aliginge posted:

Next couple of days I should have a yes/no. Now if you'll excuse me, I've some Max to study c:

They emailed back today, no dice for me I'm afraid. :sigh:

gently caress it, I'm gonna ditch a lot of my folio content and focus on finished environments and props.

Hope you guys have better luck than I do :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Man that blows, I'd have figured they'd take you on.

As for me I pretty much got told my application went in the bin, I suppose it makes sense considering none of my portfolio has anything to do with racing games.