Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Malfeasible posted:

I just downloaded the Something Awful "hot" tag with wget at http://forumimages.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/icon-31-hotthread.gif ...and it has a timestamp of 2004-03-19 13:23.

Is that the same date one would see if doing an "ls -l" on the server? I could understand that for the hot tag, but why would a picture taken yesterday seem to be so old? Does it matter if I download onto my desktop with a linux OS from a server with a non-linux OS?

Yes, by default wget uses the date sent by the server in the Last-Modified header. (There may not be a way to disable that since it's a useful feature and almost always what you want.) As for the file in question it most likely used the date set in the camera if it was a photo, so if the camera thinks it's 2007 that's the date the file will get. (It looks like the date would be midnight Jan 1 plus or minus a time zone so I'm guessing that's the "zero date" for the camera.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Thermopyle posted:

Well, yeah. I was planning on fixing that up anyway. I assumed he was answering the question I asked.

I was, you never implied that you needed your webserver to be able to write to that directory or otherwise own it. Do you really have that requirement?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

covener posted:

I was, you never implied that you needed your webserver to be able to write to that directory or otherwise own it. Do you really have that requirement?

No. I'm stupid and after further thought, with the help of both of the answers provided here, I figured out wtf I was doing. Thanks!

edit: spoke too soon...
code:
drwxr-xr-x 560 therms srv_www       32768 2011-06-10 17:25 awesome_dir/
www-data is a member of srv_www.

In /var/www/ I have a symbolic link:
code:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root        27 2011-06-09 22:16 awesomeness -> /media/LVM Pool/awesome_dir/
In /etc/apache2/apache2.conf I have:
code:
        <Directory /var/www/>
                Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>
When I try to visit "server/awesomeness/" I get this in my apache2 error log:
code:
Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible: /var/www/awesomeness
If I create a dir mirroring awesome_dirs permissions and user/group in /var/www, apache serves it fine, so I'm assuming for some reason FollowSymLinks isn't working...

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 11, 2011

Kenfoldsfive
Jan 1, 2003

The un-bitey-ness of a chicken's head and the "I don't want to cook that"-ness of a dog's body

bort posted:

This is probably just a mistake in your post, but:
code:
        option  domain-name-servers x.x.x.x   <---
        authoritative;
is missing a semicolon. If that's in your config file, it might not be realizing it's authoritative for the shared-network and wouldn't send NAKs.

Just a mistake in the post, alas. It's correct in the config.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Thermopyle posted:

code:
Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible: /var/www/awesomeness

what does namei -m /media/LVM Pool/awesome_dir/ say? Can your apache user read/search every dir from the top down?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

covener posted:

what does namei -m /media/LVM Pool/awesome_dir/ say? Can your apache user read/search every dir from the top down?

Ahha! That was it!

This problem stemmed from my incomplete understanding of how permissions work. I guess I didn't realize that permissions of "higher" directories mattered in accessing lower directories.

One of the higher directories didn't have +x for others...

Thanks!

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Kenfoldsfive posted:

Just a mistake in the post, alas. It's correct in the config.
Try breaking the subnets out into separate headings with no shared-network declaration. I think shared-network might imply there can be discontinuous address spaces on the same network segment.
code:
        subnet x.x.5.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
                authoritative;
                option  domain-name "foo.com";
                option  domain-name-servers x.x.x.x;
                option routers  x.x.5.1;
                option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
                option broadcast-address x.x.5.255;
                pool {
                        range x.x.5.111 x.x.5.220;
                        failover peer "peer";
                }
        }

subnet x.x.6.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
                authoritative;
                option  domain-name "foo.com";
                option  domain-name-servers x.x.x.x;
                option routers x.x.6.1;
                option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
                option broadcast-address x.x.6.255;
                pool {
                        range x.x.6.20 x.x.6.100;
                        failover peer "peer";
                }
        }
edit: dhcpd.conf man page:

man posted:

Some installations have physical networks on which more than one IP subnet operates. For example, if there is a site-wide requirement that 8-bit subnet masks be used, but a department with a single physical ethernet network expands to the point where it has more than 254 nodes, it may be necessary to run two 8-bit subnets on the same ethernet until such time as a new physical network can be added. In this case, the subnet declarations for these two networks must be enclosed in a shared-network declaration.

so the router relays the DHCP broadcast from x.x.6.0 and the DHCP server is responding with the assumption that x.x.5.0 and x.x.6.0 are the same physical network.

bort fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 12, 2011

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I switched from Backtrack 5 to the new Ubuntu. Now I just can't connect to a Wireless AP.

What is my wireless hardware? Rather how do I figure it out?
lspci -v doesn't say. And it's not in the Additional Drivers. The device manager equivalent isn't where I remember it and nothing else in System > * is related to hardware.

E: I am pretty sure it's a Ralink RT2500 after searching, but Ubuntu uses it as wlan0 and doesn't list proprietary drivers.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 12, 2011

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

I switched from Backtrack 5 to the new Ubuntu. Now I just can't connect to a Wireless AP.

What is my wireless hardware? Rather how do I figure it out?
lspci -v doesn't say. And it's not in the Additional Drivers. The device manager equivalent isn't where I remember it and nothing else in System > * is related to hardware.

what kind of wireless card are we talking about? If it's a pci based wireless card, then it's gonna be in lspci. If it's a usb dongle, then lsusb should show it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

kcncuda71 posted:

what kind of wireless card are we talking about? If it's a pci based wireless card, then it's gonna be in lspci. If it's a usb dongle, then lsusb should show it.

Inside so... Oh! lsusb does report a Micro Star International RT2573. I think that's the card, but then the issue is how to make it think that it's Ralink or make it work. To google!

e:

I found a good driver and gave it the old 'make' and then 'make install' but it still uses the old one!

If memory serves I need to blacklist the wireless driver it loads by default, but I have no idea how or which one. Any help?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 12, 2011

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I absolutely can not build the WPA_supplicant driver so I'm really considering switching back to Backtrack 5 where I'll try to get the Ubuntu software center to work.

BackTrack posted:

Also if you chose to add the ubuntu repositories to your Backtrack install, you will most certainly break your entire Backtrack install very quickly.
What, really? I should be fine if it's from the same version of Ubuntu BackTrack is based on, right?

I really like Ubuntu but hell if my history with it isn't synonymous with "wireless hardware issues."

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 12, 2011

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

I absolutely can not build the WPA_supplicant driver so I'm really considering switching back to Backtrack 5 where I'll try to get the Ubuntu software center to work.
What, really? I should be fine if it's from the same version of Ubuntu BackTrack is based on, right?

I really like Ubuntu but hell if my history with it isn't synonymous with "wireless hardware issues."

I'm very surprised that wpa-supplicant isn't included in repositories. Perhaps you have to enable additional repositories via the apt sources?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I need some knowledge dropped on me. I've been bored lately so I decided to learn how to turn an older laptop into a linux server box and use it for linux torrents. I've played with Ubuntu before and can setup torrents using the GUI but I'd like to learn how to do more stuff from the CLI.

My question is, how do you browse torrents and tell the box which one to download when you're using the CLI? Am I missing a third piece of the puzzle?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 12, 2011

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Hughmoris posted:

I need some knowledge dropped on me. I've been bored lately so I decided to learn how to turn an older laptop into a linux server box and use it for linux torrents. I've played with Ubuntu before and can setup torrents using the GUI but I'd like to learn how to do more stuff from the CLI.

My question is, how do you browse torrents and tell the box which one to download when you're using the CLI? Am I missing a third piece of the puzzle?

http://blog.joelchristian.com/?p=309

This amongst thousands of other tutorials will guide you.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Am I missing a third piece of the puzzle?

Probably links or lynx or whatever text-based browser you've got. Or wget if you just want to download the torrent file.

If you must CLI your torrent client you might be better off just pasting torrent URLs into it from an SSH session, since text-mode browsing pretty much sucks.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

enotnert posted:

http://blog.joelchristian.com/?p=309

This amongst thousands of other tutorials will guide you.

Thanks for the link. I know there are a ton of tutorials on how to set up the box, I guess I don't understand the concept of using a CLI to browse for and download a torrent.

BnT posted:

Probably links or lynx or whatever text-based browser you've got. Or wget if you just want to download the torrent file.

If you must CLI your torrent client you might be better off just pasting torrent URLs into it from an SSH session, since text-mode browsing pretty much sucks.

Ok, that makes sense. What if the torrent site I'm using is private and needs a login/password. How would something like that be handled if for example, I was using SSH and Transmission?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 12, 2011

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Inside so... Oh! lsusb does report a Micro Star International RT2573. I think that's the card, but then the issue is how to make it think that it's Ralink or make it work. To google!

e:

I found a good driver and gave it the old 'make' and then 'make install' but it still uses the old one!

If memory serves I need to blacklist the wireless driver it loads by default, but I have no idea how or which one. Any help?

To blacklist a driver:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=468793

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for the link. I know there are a ton of tutorials on how to set up the box, I guess I don't understand the concept of using a CLI to browse for and download a torrent.

. . . Why would you want to use the command line to browse for torrents?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

enotnert posted:

. . . Why would you want to use the command line to browse for torrents?

Because I am a clueless beginner with ubuntu and the CLI. I'm guessing that I don't want to use the command line to browse. I should rephrase my question. If I have a headless linux server and I'm using SSH and Transmission, how do I tell the box to download a specific torrent? What if the site that has the torrent requires a user/pw?

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

What if the torrent site I'm using is private and needs a login/password. How would something like that be handled if for example, I was using SSH and Transmission?

You could download it with your browser and use an scp client to copy it over. When I used a similar setup I used the transmission web interface and a private tracker by downloading the torrent file to my workstation and then uploading the torrent file to the transmission web interface.

I think there are tools or possibly even browser plugins to make this process a snap, I never really dug that deeply. But I think what we're all saying is don't use a CLI for torrents, get yourself a web interface first.

BnT fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 12, 2011

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BnT posted:

You could download it with your browser and use an scp client to copy it over. When I used a similar setup I used the transmission web interface and a private tracker by downloading the torrent file to my workstation and then uploading the torrent file to the transmission web interface.

I think there are tools or possibly even browser plugins to make this process a snap, I never really dug that deeply. But I think what we're all saying is don't use a CLI for torrents, get yourself a web interface first.

Okay, I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Hughmoris posted:

Okay, I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Most torrent programs that run headless also have the ability to watch folders. Some of them even have clients that connect directly to remote sessions so you can have more functionality than the web client allows.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

You could also run a vnc server and use a GUI client from a remote computer.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If you can implement watch folders (if you can't get a new loving client) You can use SCP or wget or Samba or Dropbox to put the torrent file in the watch directory.

If you're using transmission, that has GUI and web front ends, and you can load a torrent through there. I'm also guessing the transmission cli program has a command to run to load a torrent file, but you'll still need to get the torrent file there (scp, wget, samba, dropbox).

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

I'm very surprised that wpa-supplicant isn't included in repositories. Perhaps you have to enable additional repositories via the apt sources?

Ralink's official drivers include/require a modified WPA-supplicant. To compile it though you are not always supposed to follow the readme. I managed to generate a config file but it still wasn't happy.

I would report a bug since this poo poo laptop (Averatec 2200) has perfect compatibility on the site but it's already widely reported in posts like the one I quoted. Also I just don't have good experience with bug reports.

After a day of trying I'm really switching to Backtrack 5. Maybe next time Ubuntu...

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

angrytech posted:

Boom! Got it working. Thanks evol262, you put me on the right track; and stathol for showing me named-checkzone, which is way easier than restarting the damned server just to look for error messages.
My /etc/bind/zones/mydomain.net.db now has this:
code:
//a bunch of lines of stuff
mydomain.net.	IN      NS              mydomain.net.
mydomain.net.	IN      MX     0        mydomain.net.
mydomain.net.	IN	A		ip.of.my.server
which seems to work

Yay. Now add reverse DNS. You may want to chroot BIND, too.

Anjow posted:

http://pastebin.com/B02URkr2

It does seem strange to me that one wouldn't have to have that IP assigned to anything. Some other tutorials make reference to using ipvs to deal with the IPs.

I don't see anything in the init script that would create a virtual IP, and absolutely nothing that'd start Apache. I mean, you may want to recursively grep through /etc/ha.d, but I'd suggest you use one of the other tutorials.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

evol262 posted:

Yay. Now add reverse DNS. You may want to chroot BIND, too.

Reverse dns was actually already implemented, I just didn't include those files.
chrooting BIND, however, is probably one of my next projects

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Since we're talking about wpa_supplicant, can someone post their wpa_supplicant.conf that's known to work with a WPA Personal AP?

I'm fighting with wpa_supplicant every step of the way to get wireless running on this headless ubuntu-server machine (laptop with broken screen that I figured I'd repurpose). "iwlist scan" shows that it finds my AP's SSID so I think (hope) that means my card is actually working.

Here's mine, that I'm having zero luck with:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
network={
ssid="Giewont"
scan_ssid=1
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP TKIP
group=CCMP TKIP
psk=passgoeshere
}

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
I recently installed Debian (Wheezy) on my machine. The system was freezing when logging into Gnome; however, I was able to remedy that by unplugging all of my peripherals and adding them back one at a time. It seems that the problem piece was an external hard drive attached via esata. This external drive has an entry in /etc/fstab

When I turn the drive on after I have already booted properly, I get the following message in the terminal
pre:
Message from syslogd@pterodactyl at Jun 14 09:51:46 ...
 kernel:[59136.288386] Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP 

kernel:[59136.288389] last sysfs file: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:19.0/net/eth1/statistics/collisions

kernel:[59136.288490] Stack:

kernel:[59136.288500] Call Trace:

kernel:[59136.288603] Code: 00 44 39 f8 0f 84 39 03 00 00 4c 8b 23 49 8d 84 24 58
1c 00 00 48 39 c3 74 11 49 3b 9c 24 10 2e 00 00 b8 00 00 00 00 4c 0f 45 e0 <49> 8b
44 24 18 48 c1 e8 17 83 e0 01 88 44 24 4f f6 83 69 02 00 

kernel:[59136.288629] CR2: 0000000000000018
Any ideas on what may be causing this or how to trouble shoot it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Any ideas on what may be causing this or how to trouble shoot it?

If you tail -f /var/log/dmesg when you turn on the drive, do you see anything of interest?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

taqueso posted:

If you tail -f /var/log/dmesg when you turn on the drive, do you see anything of interest?

Same as the output above. It appears as though this is an issue with 2.6.38-2. Apparently this issue is resolved in 2.6.39.

Now to figure out how to do that...

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Is there an effective difference in security between chrooting BIND or using AppArmor?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Apparently this issue is resolved in 2.6.39.
2.6.39 has been in sid for a little while, although they recently updated to 2.6.39-2. You can go through the trouble of adding sid repositories and APT pinning so only the kernel is updated, but honestly it's easier to just download the deb, and "dpkg -i" it. Eventually it'll roll into wheezy and you'll get updates for it that way.

Or just wait a week and update.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Same as the output above. It appears as though this is an issue with 2.6.38-2. Apparently this issue is resolved in 2.6.39.

Now to figure out how to do that...

Your best bet is to install the source package for 2.6.39 and compile it yourself, or try and use the package for sid. I don't think there's a binary package for it yet native to wheezy.

Why exactly are you running unstable anyway? It's way too early in the release cycle for Wheezy to be running unstable for anything other than a toy, IMHO.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

angrytech posted:

Is there an effective difference in security between chrooting BIND or using AppArmor?

Chroot is easier to do, apparmor is more finely grained in control.

Each is a hack to try and protect bloated, badly maintained code. If you're really security conscious, ditch bind for something like djbdns.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nitrogen posted:

Your best bet is to install the source package for 2.6.39 and compile it yourself,
Compiling distribution kernels is slightly painful, assuming the process hasn't changed much in the past few years, it's one of the few areas where "dpkg-buildpackage" doesn't do the right thing. Or maybe it does, if the result you want is 13 different kernel flavors.

nitrogen posted:

I don't think there's a binary package for it yet native to wheezy.
Generally speaking packages aren't ever native for testing. They're built for/on unstable (or experimental), released there, and get pushed to testing after a weekish with no serious bugs filed against them. The only issue with installing packages from unstable on testing are versioned dependencies might have to be pulled in, but that's not an issue here.

nitrogen posted:

Why exactly are you running unstable anyway? It's way too early in the release cycle for Wheezy to be running unstable for anything other than a toy, IMHO.
I've been running sid since the early 2000s, and a continually-upgraded same install of sid since 2007. I wouldn't use it for production poo poo, but if you're willing to handle the twice-a-year things that break, it's not horrible to use on a personal machine.

I wouldn't recommend anyone run unstable who is unwilling to file a bug report though. That's one of the major points of running unstable vs. testing, to file bug reports when poo poo breaks.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

2.6.39 has been in sid for a little while, although they recently updated to 2.6.39-2. You can go through the trouble of adding sid repositories and APT pinning so only the kernel is updated

I ended up going this route. eSATA seems to be working just fine now.

nitrogen posted:

Wheezy is supposed to be in "testing" and this is the only issue that I've had with it. I'm coming from Fedora where a lot of the packages are more recent versions and I was trying to get a similar experience.

If the kernel is enough of a stability problem, I can always roll back and just deal without eSATA.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I'm coming from Fedora where a lot of the packages are more recent versions

Welcome to Debian. May I suggest backports for stable?
http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/ that might be a better way to accomplish what you want.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nitrogen posted:

http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/ that might be a better way to accomplish what you want.
Backports is more for when you want to run a stable, production system, but need one or two newer versions of packages than what the shipping version offers.

If he's coming from Fedora, testing sounds entirely appropriate. Also, who's to say his kernel bug isn't an issue in 2.6.32?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 28, 2019