Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

I'm still not 100% clear, but it seems like a terrible idea. I'd keep a traditional stick placement and just work in some more pokes if you feel exotic.

That sweep check is used by a lot of guys on wraparounds to the blocker side. I haven't used it much.

The sweep check is something that I do instinctively, you just hit their stick with a lot of force and it breaks up the play.

As for that stick placement idea, as far as the shooter would be concerned, your 5-hole would still be covered. His momentum would be taking him towards the post and he'll likely be a stride ahead of you. Your stick would be positioned in such a way that it would block access to the 5-hole, so even if he tried to bring the puck back, he wouldn't be able to go 5-hole. It's a play that you would use in a very specific situation, though maybe you would be suspectible if the shooter tries to make a hard stop in front of the net, but you already be in positon to poke check him. I should get a lot of ice time this week, so I'll experiment with it and see how it goes. It worked when I tried it today, but I'll try to get a bigger sample size of data and see how it fairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Use it on a case by case basis like everything else. It's going to work well on some shooters and in some situations and not so well in others.

edit: Keep in mind though that with a good player they will know that the best place to go on a directly horizontal cross crease move is generally five hole because it automatically opens up as the goalie pushes.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 12, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

T-Bone posted:

Use it on a case by case basis like everything else. It's going to work well on some shooters and in some situations and not so well in others.

edit: Keep in mind though that with a good player they will know that the best place to go on a directly horizontal cross crease move is generally five hole because it automatically opens up as the goalie pushes.

That's why in the right situation, keeping the stick at a 90 degree angle adjacent to your lead pad will cover the 5-hole as you push, but that only works if he's already ahead of you. Traditional stick placement can work too, but there's no reason to physically cover the 5-hole, if you can cut off the angle with your stick.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 13, 2011

Bananananana
Feb 10, 2009
It sounds like for that to be effective you would have to be sliding ahead of the shooter anyway, which you don't want to do, you want to slide as he is right about to beat you, lead with your hands (so your stick should be right on his) and lock up your knees fast to seal the five hole. Also locking your knees and being compact will make you slide faster/further as well so that's a plus!

E: woops looks like I misread your post, but wouldn't flipping your stick over like that not really cover much and just mess up your blocker?

Bananananana fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 13, 2011

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Holy crap, is it ever nice to play for a decent team. Won 7-3 tonight. None of the goals were bad (two off the pipe and one screen). I got taken out full speed by a tripping victim, went into a blocking butterfly on a screen shot and took the puck dead center on the forehead, and slashed someone who was being a bit too rough with his screen in the knee. He turned around as he was leaving the zone and said, "Nice." It was already halfway through the third, but he didn't screen me again. Very fun game.

I'm pretty sure watching titanium's videos may be the best pre-warmup ever. Having a chance to track pucks in from almost first person before leaving for the rink seemed to help my mind prepare a lot. I was seeing the puck as well as I ever have.

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Long shot, but does anyone know of any good places to play roller in St. Louis?

I can't wait to move back to a place that has hockey.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I played for the third day in a row. Joey Walnuts and I were the only goalies. It was a mixture of older guys and some really good players. I did alright on the first side, since I was getting some good defensive help. I held my own on the other side for a few minutes, but eventually the shots and fatigue caught up to me and it got ugly after that. It was definitely a good workout.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think slowly things starting to click to the point where i think more shots are starting to hit my body because of positioning and not just bad shots.

I still have a few big problems. Biggest one is giving up goals short side. Mostly I'm too conscious of moving the net (ball hockey, net with no moorings), but also because of wanting to cheat to make myself bigger.

I also feel helpless with the puck behind the net like I have no good way to position myself.

Finally a shot a game might go five hole because I'm not confident at trying to drive legs down cause I can never get these loving pads to rotate.

Though reading this thread and watching the other goalies play has helped a ton in working it out.

Finally getting to the place where I think I'm converting what I know I should do to actually doing it.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 14, 2011

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
So after 3 months of being sidelined with a groin pull, I'm returning to the ice for an informal pickup on Friday. I don't know if I'm more scared or excited.

This could not come soon enough though, I can tell you that much. It's amazing what happens to your brain on the sidelines; I really didn't know how downright dependent I am on this sport!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Hazed_blue posted:

This could not come soon enough though, I can tell you that much. It's amazing what happens to your brain on the sidelines; I really didn't know how downright dependent I am on this sport!

I'm playing out in a tournament in a couple of weeks and it's killing me waiting. I've been training for it up here but training sucks god does it suck if I do one more squat I'm gonna kill somebody

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Can we rename this thread please because Thomas has been loving awesome all finals

God I hate Boston

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

aejix posted:

Can we rename this thread please because Thomas has been loving awesome all finals

God I hate Boston

I would like Because Thomas Checks People

Edit: Ordered Flextoe let's see how this goes.

Surfing Turtle fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 14, 2011

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
here is me in a dek tournament last year playing out and doing what every one of us has wanted to do to someone hacking at a goalie. note the claude lemieux walkaway like nothing happened.

Dek is so weird compared to roller and ice it's really the grindiest thing and kinda not fun at first if you're someone like me whose greatest strength is their skating. But once you get used to its pretty fun. It's a lot more physical than roller I took so many crosschecks to the back that tournament.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

T-Bone posted:

Dek is so weird compared to roller and ice it's really the grindiest thing and kinda not fun at first if you're someone like me whose greatest strength is their skating. But once you get used to its pretty fun. It's a lot more physical than roller I took so many crosschecks to the back that tournament.

Yeah its definitely a weird game, and I hated it when I first started playing it, and thought it was dumb, but I enjoy it alot now. I still like roller better I think, even though I'm a lovely skater, but dek's got a little place in my heart. Plus all my dumb friends who can't skate can play dek, and we ended up making a fun little team out of it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Yeah its definitely a weird game, and I hated it when I first started playing it, and thought it was dumb, but I enjoy it alot now. I still like roller better I think, even though I'm a lovely skater, but dek's got a little place in my heart. Plus all my dumb friends who can't skate can play dek, and we ended up making a fun little team out of it.

Yeah I play dek every year with my extended family and some friends who can't skate that well but are really good players on their feet. It's a lot of fun.

edit: I know this is a goalie thread but my shot is so much better with the puck than the ball. It's so loving hard to keep the ball down with power compared to a puck.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 14, 2011

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

T-Bone posted:

Yeah I play dek every year with my extended family and some friends who can't skate that well but are really good players on their feet. It's a lot of fun.

edit: I know this is a goalie thread but my shot is so much better with the puck than the ball. It's so loving hard to keep the ball down with power compared to a puck.

Thats weird, because I've noticed playing ball roller as opposed to dek, the shots are much harder in dek, and the playing levels I'm on aren't terribly different.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Thats weird, because I've noticed playing ball roller as opposed to dek, the shots are much harder in dek, and the playing levels I'm on aren't terribly different.

Hmm I don't know I haven't played with a ball in roller in ages (everyone plays with a puck out here), but for sure I've seen some people in dek who can get some heat on the ball (and some nasty curve and dip) - I'm just not one of them hah. Once in a while I'll step into one but I'm much more dangerous from 10 feet in with a snap shot.

I think it's probably because my best shot in roller is my wrister and it's basically a useless shot with the ball imo (snap or slap is way more effective).

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug
Does Tim Thomas get a custom cage made for his mask? I swear the grid mesh in non-catseye cages don't normally have as much room as this:

Can't seem to find an NHL goalie mask that doesn't have catseye (ok I only looked for 5 minutes, sue me) but here's another non-catseye cage for reference:

:confused:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sportsmask sells them to go with the Mage, but I think the original design was requested by Thomas, so yes.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Sportsmask sells them to go with the Mage, but I think the original design was requested by Thomas, so yes.

It's based off of the cage that Don Beaupre used to use. If I remember correctly, the bars on the inside of Thomas' cage are flat and he has some weird theory that it helps the bars vanish from his site. I would love to try that style of cage, it looks like it would have better sightlines than a cateye.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If it helps me get Tim Thomas results then I'll wear whatever loving cage I have to.

Short of this, maybe.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Martytoof posted:

If it helps me get Tim Thomas results then I'll wear whatever loving cage I have to.

Short of this, maybe.

Oh my god that's loving hilariously awesome and awful at the same time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think some Japanese goalie actually wore that style waaay back when in the olden times.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Short of this, maybe.

Those are the laser cut cages from Switzerland right? They're cut out of a single piece of metal, so there are no welds what-so-ever on the mask.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug

Aniki posted:

I would love to try that style of cage, it looks like it would have better sightlines than a cateye.

Same, plus it looks wicked too.

Martytoof posted:

aaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I think so. To be fair though, I'd be a little more concerned about denting on a cage like that. Or at least it feels like that's something I'd be more worried about.

So I just sanded down this spare Eddy mask shell I have and I guess I'll spray bomb it tomorrow or Thursday. I was going to try to come up with some simple design to put on it, but at this point I just want it painted and on my head. I took a file to some rough areas and epoxied a small spot near the neck where it started to delaminate in a corner (sharp angle behind and below the ear, to the rear of the mask -- not a safety concern yet, just taking precautions). Hopefully I can get some decent results with a spray bomb and clearcoat. I managed a good job when I did it a few years ago, I just remember it being a colossal pain in the rear end to keep dust off and everything like that.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Martytoof posted:

Short of this, maybe.

This cage + steampunk mask design = amazing? Those circles would make nice steampunk glasses.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
I would wear that cage in a heartbeat just for the ridiculousness of it. In the back of my mind I have a fear of the weld breaking and stabbing me in the face, but this laser cut steel would alleviate that. Doubt it'll bend any more easily than the standard cages.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ummmm yeah so yet again, a "5 hour energy" drink before a 10pm game? Not the brightest idea. You'd think I would have learned after last week.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I was one of only two goalies at the skills session tonight. They actually structured everything well, so there was a lot of skating at first and the shooting drills were well-paced, so it didn't feel like an endless stream of shots. The scrimmage went alright, I was tired and my form suffered, so I let in some bad goals, but I still made some really good saves. I was planning on playing open hockey tomorrow, but considering that it's at the same time as game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, I can't see there being too many skaters showing up.

I'm going to order the Go Pro HD camera and I'll try to get some footage from open hockey on Saturday. It should be a pretty hilarious contrast to Titanium's footage.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Ummmm yeah so yet again, a "5 hour energy" drink before a 10pm game? Not the brightest idea. You'd think I would have learned after last week.

I use them more often for those late weekday games than a normal Sunday game. I'd rather be up until 3 but have played well than fell asleep on the ice.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

T-Bone posted:

Hmm I don't know I haven't played with a ball in roller in ages (everyone plays with a puck out here), but for sure I've seen some people in dek who can get some heat on the ball (and some nasty curve and dip) - I'm just not one of them hah. Once in a while I'll step into one but I'm much more dangerous from 10 feet in with a snap shot.

Oh god yeah. Most guys its not a problem, since the majority of shooters will have the same type of curve and break to their shots, But then there's always that one guy where instead of breaking normal, it'll break the opposite direction, and gently caress you all up. I filled in lastnight for a team for a one game appearance, and there was an opposing player who had that kinda shot. The first time he unloaded on one, I went down, anticipating taking it right in the gut, even if it broke a little like a normal shot, and it broke hard the opposite way, to my blocker side, and it barely glanced off my hip and past the net.

I think just for that reason alone, playing goal in dek/ball hockey makes things much more interesting. Those curving/floating/breaking shots add a whole new element to trying to stop it!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah I had a couple of 6'4 d-men on my team out in California who were very adept at curving the ball around screens like they were Ronaldo or something.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
Some pretty sweet new-old Passau pads:

Waffleboard :3:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

aejix posted:

Some pretty sweet new-old Passau pads:

Waffleboard :3:

Christ all that stuff looks so huge compared to todays NHL spec.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I've faced one or two guys on ice who have such terrible shots that the puck wobbles in such a way to cause a pretty dramatic curve.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

I was planning on playing open hockey tomorrow, but considering that it's at the same time as game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, I can't see there being too many skaters showing up.

I'm going. As should you.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
My Gopro HD arrived today and if everything goes to plan, I'll get some in net footage of myself tomorrow. Titanium, what resolution did you record your videos at? Also, if you've recorded any more sessions, do you have any thought on what might be the best place to mount the camera? I think I'll try the top of the net the first time, but I'm debating if I should use the extension mount so that I can try and get the goal line in frame.

Joey Walnuts posted:

I'm going. As should you.

How did that skate go?

Aniki fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 18, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You guys and your budget for HD camcorders.

I'm waffling over a $14 battery for my 15 year old Hi8 camcorder so I can get some footage for myself :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

Martytoof posted:

You guys and your budget for HD camcorders.

I'm waffling over a $14 battery for my 15 year old Hi8 camcorder so I can get some footage for myself :qq:
Holy jeez, Marty. You don't have much of a budget! How do you afford sticks?

• Locked thread