Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

D'oh!

I stand by the idea that I probably wouldn't buy one over a DRZ. A well modded DRZ is an all around better bike I think.

But I mean... if you're not man enough for a 690...

Sure

Well, my wallets not man enough for a 690, thats for sure. Even used they're still insane around here. Plus the one 690 that comes up for sale every year doesnt leave me many choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I've seen some decent prices on Husqy 610s lately.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The wr250 is fine if you were content with the bone stock drz. If you wanted more power, a flatslide, etc. get the drz.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
So I'm looking at a KLX250sm now, and wondering if anyone has any words to talk me out of it? I really wanted a DRZ400, and there's one right next to it in the dealership, but it's really tall for me (I'm 5'8" / 155lb and had trouble getting a leg over in shorts, let alone riding pants)

A 250 seems like a small motor, but I'm really just tooling around town, doing 20mi rides out into the country, and I need a bike that's easier to live with. There aren't a lot of big, fun, fast twisty roads around here, and I don't have any friends that ride, so this would be more of a commuter/gently caress-around bike.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

robotsinmyhead posted:

but it's really tall for me (I'm 5'8" / 155lb and had trouble getting a leg over in shorts, let alone riding pants)

Once you get used to the DRZ height it isn't bad, especially since is squats down a couple inches as soon as you sit on it. I'm 5'6" and didn't have any trouble once I rode it for a while.

Get the DRZ, you don't want a 250 motard.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

robotsinmyhead posted:

So I'm looking at a KLX250sm now, and wondering if anyone has any words to talk me out of it? I really wanted a DRZ400, and there's one right next to it in the dealership, but it's really tall for me (I'm 5'8" / 155lb and had trouble getting a leg over in shorts, let alone riding pants)

A 250 seems like a small motor, but I'm really just tooling around town, doing 20mi rides out into the country, and I need a bike that's easier to live with. There aren't a lot of big, fun, fast twisty roads around here, and I don't have any friends that ride, so this would be more of a commuter/gently caress-around bike.

Yeah, the KLX is heavy and under powered. The DRZ has a better, engine brakes, and suspension. You'll get used to the seat height of the DRZ, I'm 5'8" with a 31" inseam and I ride an SM with a seat a couple inches higher than the DRZ.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I rode somebody's KLX250 and even when redlining and dumping the clutch in 1st it would not wheelie. You had to basically bounce it off the ground and look like a retard.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Well I'll take a closer look at the DRZ then. I looked up some stats for the KLX, and the power / weight ratio is way way way less than that of my current bike, which I feel comfortable riding on as a new rider - I think the KLX would probably be really slow, even for how I ride.

Not to mention that the DRZ was only a few hundred more than the KLX.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh, I have supermoto in my head. I'm actually thinking about seeing what dealerships around here have for DRZSM's and maybe trading in my B12.

Someone tell me thats a stupid idea.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

Ugh, I have supermoto in my head. I'm actually thinking about seeing what dealerships around here have for DRZSM's and maybe trading in my B12.

You know what I'm going to say. But! Surprise!

FTFY posted:

yay, I have supermoto in my head. I'm actually seeing what dealerships around here have for Husky 610 and trading in my B12.

thats a great idea.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

It's about time you traded up to a better touring bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

It's about time you traded up to a better touring bike.

Ha, I have this crazy thing wrong with my brain that makes me more interested in touring, the more inappropriate of a bike its done on. Like my ideal world tripping bike would be a CT90.

Spiffness posted:

You know what I'm going to say. But! Surprise!

That would be nice, but I'd like to do more of an even trade (I know I'll have to kick in a little bit for a DRZ). The B12 wouldnt cover half of the cost of a 690.

Edit: 610 Husky, but same story

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 11, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Ha, I have this crazy thing wrong with my brain that makes me more interested in touring, the more inappropriate of a bike its done on. Like my ideal world tripping bike would be a CT90.

I was serious. :colbert:

We share that affliction. I love supermoto touring, it's the best kind. The smaller displacement, the more roads or paths you have open, the more potential, the more things you see and experience, the better. The KTM is allowed to fit in that catagory because the seat sucks enough that it takes away from the rest of the amazing bike enough to make it kinda lovely. :v:

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I will be riding my Superduke from Omaha, Ne to The golden coast in August, not quite as epic as a cross country 250cc trip but still I've got a lot of weird looks when I tell people that

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Hey guys, I think I'm going to order some distanzia's for the DRZ, can anyone confirm these are the right sizes?

Front: 120/70HR17 58H

Rear: 150/60R17 66H

On a sidenote, if there's anyone here in eastern canada there's a place in new brunswick called "G Bourqe" selling these tires at 44% off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Niven posted:

Hey guys, I think I'm going to order some distanzia's for the DRZ, can anyone confirm these are the right sizes?

Front: 120/70HR17 58H

Rear: 150/60R17 66H

On a sidenote, if there's anyone here in eastern canada there's a place in new brunswick called "G Bourqe" selling these tires at 44% off.

140 rear is stock but the 150 should fit fine.

Good deal on a 625 SMC here...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2436959923.html

:v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

13K??? I'm sure that's a nice bike and all, but 13K is insane.

Edit: Thats a 625?? I just assumed from the price it was a 690. That guys either on drugs or "selling" it to placate his wife with the knowledge that it will never sell.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

13K??? I'm sure that's a nice bike and all, but 13K is insane.

Edit: Thats a 625?? I just assumed from the price it was a 690. That guys either on drugs or "selling" it to placate his wife with the knowledge that it will never sell.

Yeah I wish I knew how he was justifying the price because :laffo:

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
06 DRZ650sm, $3600 with 5400mi.

I went in originally to look at that KLX250, saw what I thought was a DRZ400, turned out to be a 650 (which I didn't even know they made) It's still a bit tall, but they offered to install a new linkage to drop it a hair. Very nice bike, clean as hell. Anyone have any opinions on them? I'm really close to pulling the trigger on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

06 DRZ650sm, $3600 with 5400mi.

I went in originally to look at that KLX250, saw what I thought was a DRZ400, turned out to be a 650 (which I didn't even know they made) It's still a bit tall, but they offered to install a new linkage to drop it a hair. Very nice bike, clean as hell. Anyone have any opinions on them? I'm really close to pulling the trigger on it.
Well, there's no DRZ650sm. There's a DR650S, which has dual-sport wheels and tires. And in any case, don't. They're heavier with hardly any more power, and nowhere near the aftermarket.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Endless Mike posted:

Well, there's no DRZ650sm. There's a DR650S, which has dual-sport wheels and tires. And in any case, don't. They're heavier with hardly any more power, and nowhere near the aftermarket.

drat that's disappointing. The bike looks like a full SM rather than a DS, but I'll take your advice. I really wanted a lighter bike anyway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

robotsinmyhead posted:

drat that's disappointing. The bike looks like a full SM rather than a DS, but I'll take your advice. I really wanted a lighter bike anyway.

They could have converted it, but all of his advice still stands and I'd find a DRZ400SM instead.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
07 sxv 450 for 4500 in Portland. Soooooo loving tempted, but I'm pretty sure I'd kill myself in a week. I could just barely float the money until I sold my DRZ which I think would go for 3-3.5k. gently caress I wish I had a few thousand more miles under my belt.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

henne posted:

07 sxv 450 for 4500 in Portland. Soooooo loving tempted, but I'm pretty sure I'd kill myself in a week. I could just barely float the money until I sold my DRZ which I think would go for 3-3.5k. gently caress I wish I had a few thousand more miles under my belt.

Unless it's gonna be a dedicated track/weekend bike, I'd pass. If it is...game on!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I love me some aprilia, but the SXV bikes are not reliable at all.

Edit: also be very careful when you look at the '07s because they had an engine recall. Honestly I would look for a 550 with a decent amount of miles so the bugs have been worked out.

n8r fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 15, 2011

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
There is also this.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/2437870714.html

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally have the scratch to get a DRZ, now to find a decent one in socal. A quick look on craigslist looks like they are all posting at 4k+ nowadays, I really don't want to pay more than 3500.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Join the club. They can be had for 3.5K but everyone wants more, and you might have to haggle to get them down.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phat_Albert posted:

Join the club. They can be had for 3.5K but everyone wants more, and you might have to haggle to get them down.

Yeah haggling is no problem, I got a great price on my ex250 and sold it for more than I paid... Gotta be patient though.

There is this one: http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/2376116268.html

Semi high milage, and I don't trust someone who posts using capslock... gonna email the dude and see whats what though.

e- If anyone sees a deal within like 500~ miles of Los Angeles let me know. I'd road trip for a good deal.

soy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 15, 2011

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
want

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/2440961477.html

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat, shipping that to california would cost like $700+ based on the quick quotes I got. :smith:

I would totally fly out and ride back for the fun of it if I actually had free time.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick

Endless Mike posted:

While we're on the subject- my wet dream has always been an actual DRZ650SM. What are the chances of that happening in the next few years do you think? It's been 14 years since the last DR650 refresh, they're about due up I'd say.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

soy posted:

drat, shipping that to california would cost like $700+ based on the quick quotes I got. :smith:

I would totally fly out and ride back for the fun of it if I actually had free time.

If you let me take it for a spin, I've got a futon with your name on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ghostpilots posted:

While we're on the subject- my wet dream has always been an actual DRZ650SM. What are the chances of that happening in the next few years do you think? It's been 14 years since the last DR650 refresh, they're about due up I'd say.

Never gonna happen, sorry. You can DIY it yourself though!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ghostpilots posted:

The only way I could see it happening is if the DR650 got a refresh in a decidedly more performance oriented direction, which wont happen. The DR and DRZ dovetail really nicely when you think of it from a model-lineup perspective. The DR is the stalwart, unbreakable workhorse with proven technology and a hugely successful track record. The DRZ is a relative newcomer (in the sense of the DR), uses more modern technology, matches the power of the DR despite a displacement disadvantage, and is decidedly more sporty.

Both are great bikes, but designed for different things. Sport-ifying the DR would cannibalize the DRZ, and the only way to do it would be to make the DR650 a DRZ650 and make the DRZ400 into something else entirely.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ghostpilots posted:

What about a 650 vtwin supermoto? I think the SV650's motor could be well adapted to the role. However if you agree you might look into the Aprilia Dorsoduro which has a 750 vtwin with supermoto like ergonomics. Some will argue if its a real supermoto or not but I really wanna check one out.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's not a real supermoto, the term is 'hyper-moto' or 'mega-moto', basically SM ergos in a big highwayable bike. Very enjoyable, very fun, but it's not at home on a tight supermoto track and can't really jump, which is pretty much where the line for 'real supermoto' is defined.

In that regard, the 690 SMC and the Husky 610, Husaberg TE570 are also not 'real supermoto's

Real supermotos need to be rebuilt every 40 hours and have a gallon of gas and 5 gears and are crazy track machines.

Street supermotos are bikes like the KTM and Husky, and then you have the mega-motos, which are supermoto inspired, like the KTM 990, Hyper Motard and the big Apes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soy posted:

Yeah haggling is no problem, I got a great price on my ex250 and sold it for more than I paid... Gotta be patient though.

There is this one: http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/2376116268.html

Semi high milage, and I don't trust someone who posts using capslock... gonna email the dude and see whats what though.

e- If anyone sees a deal within like 500~ miles of Los Angeles let me know. I'd road trip for a good deal.

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcd/2430455852.html

I know the guys at that dealership, might be able to get it for cheaper. I can swing by and ask them if you'd like.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcd/2430455852.html

I know the guys at that dealership, might be able to get it for cheaper. I can swing by and ask them if you'd like.

e- drat, no dice on this.. They want like like 4500 out the door.

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/mcy/2438275403.html

how is this a drz400sm?? liars!

soy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

Some will argue if its a real supermoto or not...

Spiffness posted:

It's not a real supermoto, the term is :words:

Man did I call that or what? That post came like clockwork. Thank you for that explanation though, it helps to clear somethings up.

• Locked thread