Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit

baka kaba posted:

I did yr song for you by the way, in case you missed it

baka kaba posted:

Terrible news! I don't think there's an F chord in that song :(

Ok I can give you this to go on with if you like - this is probably a great listening exercise actually, because the fingerpicked intro part of the song is basically two open chords, so all you have to do is listen to each note and find the string that makes that sound. Anything you play will work since they're all notes from the chord, but you can work out exactly what she's playing too. Give it a go and see how it works out. Of course you can just strum them too, which will be a lot easier at first

Anyway here's some chords:

code:
Esus4   022200
E       022100
A       x02220 or 577655
Asus2   x02200
B       x24442 or 799877
C#m     x46654 or 9-11-11-9-9-9 or 9x999x (C#m7 really)
G#m     466444 or 4x444x (that's G#m7 really)
Eadd4   002100
I threw in those jazzy minor 7th shapes in case you can't play the minor bar chords yet. There's a couple of F shape bar chords in there too, and you might need to use that for the B chord if you haven't learned the x24442 shape yet (799877 is the F shape moved up to the 7th fret, see?)

Intro is Esus4 and E, E is 022100 and Esus4 is where you plonk your spare pinky finger down on the 3rd string to give you 022200, you keep changing that one note (going between the two chords basically) so it makes sense to just put that finger down/lift it up, although you could do it other ways. Right at the start it's the Esus4 (022200), but have your index finger fretting that note on the first fret too, so you can just lift your pinky and go straight into the 022100. Listen to the difference between those two chords too, because she jumps between them a lot - it's 'the riff'. If you're trying to copy the picking pattern, the very first notes are G string, high E string, B string to get you started!

Ok so it starts off Esus4 and E

C#m "Storm windows"
Asus2 "Replaced by"
back to E/Esus4

C#m "Asking about the weather"
Asus2 "Sittin out there"
E/Esus4

A "If the clouds don't eventually"
B "rain"
G#m "skies are"
Asus2 "grey"

(Chorus)

E "working day"
Asus2 "job"
C#m "gimmawimma"
B "meah"
Asus "tight" (sorry)

Eadd4 "the cuhhh"
Asus2 "some hail?"
C#m "I'm done with"
B "feeling so"
G#m "goddamn"
Asus2 "low"

Strum time on the E/Esus4 chords

C#m "standing with your"
Asus2 "hanging on your every word"
E/Esus4

C#m "steady hand came"
G#m "through in"
A "time"
C#m "truth came clear"
G#m "closed my"
A "eyes"

Asus2 "clouds eventually"
B "poured"
G#m "sky was"
A "orrrrrrrr"
B "rrrrrrrrr"

(chorus again)

Then a C#m/B/Asus2 thing twice, then back to E/Esus4 with a brief stop over at Asus2 again

That's it. Two things though - this definitely isn't correct or even how she plays it, but it's how the implied chords sound to me. The C#m chords in verses are probably something else - she's fingerpicking in a style where your thumb alternates the lower two strings in the chord, bim-bom-bim-bom-bim-bom while your other fingers pick the higher strings, and in those C#m verse chords it's implying an A chord... you might want to try playing 909800, which also isn't what she's playing. I can't really tell what she is doing right now! There's a definite feel of a change so see how it sounds to you. Also I've kinda used A and Asus2 interchangeably, sus2 chords are a little less bright and happy so yeah, adjust to taste.

Cool song by the way

Oh and try the rolling thing with your barring finger. Hold the strings down with the edge of the finger rather than the bottom, by rolling it slightly to the side. The bottom of your finger has lots of creases and bumps that make it harder to barre without strings muting, but you only need to roll it a little to get a more even surface

:worship:

e: also, what does 0h1 mean?

Lackadaisical fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's a hammer-on - you play the 0, then bring a fretting finger down on the 1, hard enough to make it sound. It has a smoother sound than picking 0 and then picking 1

This guy seems to explain it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbS53hy2JUk
I'm guessing you're doing it with chords though, same deal - you just need a finger free for the hammer ons. If you're doing something like

code:
----------------------
-0h1------------------
-----0h2--------------
---------0h2----------
-------------0--------
----------------------
That's basically going down the A minor chord (x02210) playing each string open and then putting your finger down, so if you want you can just fret the chord and lift each finger temporarily when you hit the open string. Whatever makes most sense at the time!

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Ok, so I'm confused... In the context of:
--0--0--0-0--0-0--0--0--|
--1--1--0h1--0h1--1--0--|
--2--2--2-2--2-2--2--0--|
--2--2--2-2--2-2--2--2--|
--0--0--0-0--0-0--0--2--|
---------------------0--|

I would hold down A2 and G2 but leave my finger OFF B1, strum and then quickly hold down B2?

And sorry for all the stupid questions, but how can you tell if you're just supposed to strum down or down and up?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's confusing because it's saying hammer on that note but also strum the rest of the strings - what song is it? At a guess I'd assume you don't bother strumming where there's a hammer-on - just do that note and let the rest of the chord ring out. I think what they're going for there is the idea that you change that one note so you end up with the whole x02210 chord sounding, instead of going from x02200 to xxxx1x if that makes sense. Tabs are kinda limited in this sense, that's why you really have to have the song to listen to. (Also that's the D string, not the A string ;))

With strumming the general idea is your hand is constantly moving at an even pace, constantly moving up and down, so downstrums happen when your hand is moving down (on the beat) and upstrums occur inbetween. Obsoive:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-146-RhythmBasics2.php

You can also sometimes tell by the sound of the chord too (like Things That Scare Me starts with a slow upstrum, you can hear it going from high to low) but basically keep your hand moving like that and it'll all make sense

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

baka kaba posted:

That's confusing because it's saying hammer on that note but also strum the rest of the strings - what song is it? At a guess I'd assume you don't bother strumming where there's a hammer-on - just do that note and let the rest of the chord ring out. I think what they're going for there is the idea that you change that one note so you end up with the whole x02210 chord sounding, instead of going from x02200 to xxxx1x if that makes sense. Tabs are kinda limited in this sense, that's why you really have to have the song to listen to. (Also that's the D string, not the A string ;))

With strumming the general idea is your hand is constantly moving at an even pace, constantly moving up and down, so downstrums happen when your hand is moving down (on the beat) and upstrums occur inbetween. Obsoive:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-146-RhythmBasics2.php

You can also sometimes tell by the sound of the chord too (like Things That Scare Me starts with a slow upstrum, you can hear it going from high to low) but basically keep your hand moving like that and it'll all make sense

It's this tab:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/d/decemberists/we_both_go_down_together_crd.htm

I was trying to figure it out a bit by watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPEBEL9ENKc

At the risk of sounding like an impatient whiny person, it's frustrating how long it takes to improve in such seemingly basic ways. For having only played a week, I think I'm doing fantastic. But I still get irritated and impatient when I can't consistently play F or I can't keep up to the right pace even with easier songs.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Lackadaisical posted:

Ok, so I'm confused... In the context of:
--0--0--0-0--0-0--0--0--|
--1--1--0h1--0h1--1--0--|
--2--2--2-2--2-2--2--0--|
--2--2--2-2--2-2--2--2--|
--0--0--0-0--0-0--0--2--|
---------------------0--|

I would hold down A2 and G2 but leave my finger OFF B1, strum and then quickly hold down B2?

And sorry for all the stupid questions, but how can you tell if you're just supposed to strum down or down and up?

You play the B string open, then "hammer" your finger down onto it at the first fret. As for knowing strumming patterns, that's usually not included in the tab, it's something you just have to kinda know from having heard the song. Usually.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's hard for me to pick it out, and looking at this video too it's hard to see if he's doing that hammer-on (doesn't look like his finger's moving), and I can hear the other instruments doing that note change over everything else, so I'm not entirely sure the guitar part actually does that. It would be a good idea to do it when you're playing it as a solo arrangement though.

Listening to the rhythm of the song I'd personally be tempted to do them all as strums, just strumming the Asus2 and then hammering on without strumming the chord again sounds halting - strumming them all sounds right, so no need to worry about actually hammering on. The strumming pattern is D-D-DU-UD-D and then the Em chord - keep your hand going like on that video I showed you, and try it real slow keeping your hand moving at a constant speed up and down. The fact you skip a downstroke is a bit complicated for a beginner, you could try D-D-DUDUD-D at first and then try dropping that downstroke.

And seriously, if you're attempting this stuff after a week you've probably got nothing to worry about! Part of it is just developing muscle memory too - keep up the practicing and your hands will learn and develop the control you need. It's not something you can cram exactly. As far as keeping pace goes, you need to learn the basics of strumming too - you shouldn't be thinking of it in terms of 'a downstroke, then another, then an upstroke...' Try learning some strumming patterns just by muting the strings with your fretting hand and going chak-chaka-chak-chak with your strumming hand, it should be second nature once you get used to keeping your hand going.

EDIT: oh hello http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYc5Fgu9Wxw&feature=related

He's definitely strumming on those 'hammer-on' moments (listen for the constant thwack of the strings being hit) but the strumming pattern's pretty much two downstrums and then down-up-down-up all the way. Some are more emphasised than the others (especially the downs) - try tapping out how the riff goes, or sing it out loud. That's the rhythm you want to emphasise

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just recently got some spare preamp tubes and am in the process of switching them around - hopefully this'll clear my amp issue up. At the same time, now my Strat is acting up. The output jack is loose (a common problem) - but instead of my guitar just cutting out, there is a horrific feedback explosion when it moves that makes me dive to turn the amp volume off. I am going to try just tightening some things tonight to see if there's improvement.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I think you may have a wire that needs resoldering there, bucko.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just opened it up and that's exactly it - loose wire. Let that damned jack get loose too long and it must have rotated it right out.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

And now you keep it that way for your career-defining 'horrific feedback explosion guitar' song

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Can anyone compare the tab to the song and tell me if it's accurate? It feels.. off. Even if it's not a primarily guitar song.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bishop_allen/the_news_from_your_bed_crd_874943id_21092009date.htm

vs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i932KyRLi1w

I needed an easier song to learn since I was having a harder time with the other ones I was working on. I needed an F chord break. I'm stoked because I've been able to actually play this song the whole way through, now I'm trying to perfect getting the rhythm/pace/strumming all down. The metronome doesn't seem to help me much...

Also, I got a capo, tuner and picks. Any other essentials I need as a beginner?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Lackadaisical posted:

Can anyone compare the tab to the song and tell me if it's accurate? It feels.. off. Even if it's not a primarily guitar song.

According to the comments section some of the C's should be Em's. But hey good job, you recognised what you were playing sounded wrong, even if you can't quite place where or what, you're now better than all those tone deaf tabbers who constantly put up the most ridiculous crap.

As a beginner that's pretty much it, you could keep an extra set of strings handy, or even change them all together depending on how well the stock strings stay in tune. At some point you may want to think about getting your guitar set up, unfortunately on an acoustic there's not a lot you can do by yourself though. If you want to check whether you may need it, check the tuning on the 12th fret, on a properly set up guitar it should be as in tune as the open strings.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 19, 2011

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah in the 'choruses' you have those descending parts, like 'EATing in the KITchen at HOME' where you can hear the music and the melody walking downwards - it goes G D Em, not G D C (the next chord IS a C though). So basically, E minors as the last, sad chord on those walking down parts that come up a few times.

Also the last two lines go:

D G D C
C Em D G

And don't go too fast with your metronome - it's there to give you a solid reference, something you can play to so you can hear how your timing is supposed to be and so you can hear yourself getting it wrong - and you will! You'll get better with time, it's something you can just do while you watch TV or something, just to train your fingers and get them used to working in time. You might have problems that aren't necessarily timing-related too - like if you're learning a new chord, your fingers might be stumbling to get in place, so that wouldn't be a good time to practice your strumming timing! Basically use the metronome when you're challenging yourself and practicing your performance skills

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Awesome! I was sort of experimenting with the song and figuring out where the Em would replace the C but wasn't really all that confident with my assessments. Especially since the song isn't actually played guitar... I don't think..... It sounds like piano and clapping. Anyway, thanks for confirming that!

And ya, I gave up on the metronome. I have an easier time playing along to the pace of the music. The metronome just gave me another thing I needed to focus on. I gave up on that for now.

I'm just excited to be able to play that whole song at a reasonable pace while singing along and have a basic idea of the strumming pattern. :) Not bad for only a couple weeks... I can worry about the metronome and polishing things later.

MurraneousX posted:

According to the comments section some of the C's should be Em's. But hey good job, you recognised what you were playing sounded wrong, even if you can't quite place where or what, you're now better than all those tone deaf tabbers who constantly put up the most ridiculous crap.

As a beginner that's pretty much it, you could keep an extra set of strings handy, or even change them all together depending on how well the stock strings stay in tune. At some point you may want to think about getting your guitar set up, unfortunately on an acoustic there's not a lot you can do by yourself though. If you want to check whether you may need it, check the tuning on the 12th fret, on a properly set up guitar it should be as in tune as the open strings.

Ya, I'm noticing it's amazingly difficult to find accurate tabs out there. For every one accurate one, I find like 5-10 where they're just horrible. Maybe I just need to stop trying to play indie music and pick something pop.

Strings - how do you know what size/brand to get? All I know is I have an acoustic. No clue what size strings are on it.

And what do you mean by getting my guitar set up?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Lackadaisical posted:

Ya, I'm noticing it's amazingly difficult to find accurate tabs out there. For every one accurate one, I find like 5-10 where they're just horrible. Maybe I just need to stop trying to play indie music and pick something pop.

Strings - how do you know what size/brand to get? All I know is I have an acoustic. No clue what size strings are on it.

And what do you mean by getting my guitar set up?

No no, even the most popular poppy pop songs have just as many horrible schizofrenic tabs for them. Though do try to play something poppy anyways, it's fun to try a lot of stuff.

I think the regular gauge for acoustic is 12s, as for brand Ernie Balls and D'Addario are thread approved I think, and if you really wanna roll out the barrel there's Elixir strings, but they're pretty costly.

If your guitar isn't set up properly, it may sound out of tune as you fret it and it may be generally difficult to play. Part of this is the height of the action, which is the distance between the strings and the fretboard. Action is too high, it'll be more difficult to push the strings down to the frets. Action is too low, the strings will buzz against the frets. The ideal is pretty much to be as low as possible without buzzing, though shredders apparently like to play a little on the buzzing side. The other problem is your guitar's intonation, which is pretty much minor adjustments in string length to make sure they fret properly, if this isn't done properly all your frets, especially higher frets, will be slightly out of tune. A modern electric guitar should have a bridge which allows you to adjust it all yourself (though it's seriously boring). However an acoustic has none of this convenience and you will probably need to take it to a shop unless you want to take a crash course in luthery. Oh and there's also the truss rod, but we're not supposed to touch that because it makes baby Jesus cry.

In short, a proper guitar set up can apparently turn a bad guitar into a good one.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 20, 2011

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I've got a question about this from the OP

quote:

You're better off investing the bucks (saving if you need to) into a low-mid to mid-end guitar. Several companies make wonderful beginner instruments that will hold a tune and sound nice.
What price range covers a low-mid and a mid-end guitar? From the guitars I've seen I would put these at $200-$400 and $400-$800. I'm willing to spend enough to get quality equipment to start, but at the same time don't want spend a much more than necessary in case I end up like most people who buy a guitar a few months down the road.

Are there any recommended inexpensive metronomes? I'm looking for something standalone currently, but would be willing to use something on my Android phone if it's highly recommended.

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Aredna posted:

What price range covers a low-mid and a mid-end guitar? From the guitars I've seen I would put these at $200-$400 and $400-$800. I'm willing to spend enough to get quality equipment to start, but at the same time don't want spend a much more than necessary in case I end up like most people who buy a guitar a few months down the road.

Are there any recommended inexpensive metronomes? I'm looking for something standalone currently, but would be willing to use something on my Android phone if it's highly recommended.

I use an App called Metronome Free for Android and that suits me on the go. You can also just look one up on google if you are practicing near the computer.

You could just get a squier strat if you are worried about cost effectiveness.

coolbian57 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 21, 2011

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Aredna posted:

I got one of these for $20 from a local shop, works great.

http://www.korg.com/MA30

As for guitars, do you have an Amp already? Figure at least a hundred bucks for a decent practice amp into your budget unless you want to get something used off Craigslist/EBay. For budget guitars check the OP, there's a good list there. I personally have an Agile AL-2000 and a Malden Utopia I'm very happy with, they were $250 each including shipping.

You'll also want a chromatic tuner if you're starting out, I use a cheap $20 Korg and it works fine. You want to tune by ear eventually, but starting out you'll want to make sure your guitar is in tune so you get used to how it should sound.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Aredna posted:

I'd go with the Korg TM-40 which is $22 on Amazon and combines the Korg tuner (ca1) and metronome (the above KA30) into one unit.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I was browsing tabs on https://www.ultimate-guitar.com when I noticed they have a "tab pro" service now, where you can pay $3/mo. (less if you buy in bulk) to have access to Guitar Pro-like tabs right on the site, with some additional convenience features.

Has anybody had any experience with this yet?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
I wouldn't pay a dime for tabs. Ears are free.

If you really want music written out, buy a book of transcriptions that are guaranteed accurate. And if you spend enough time and effort on tabs that paying cash for them is worth it, then you should probably just go ahead and learn to read the staff and have access to all the free music you'd ever want.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I have a kind of weird problem.

When I go to change my strings, everything is fine and dandy except my G string. Please forgive my lack of terminology here. There seems to be something obstructing the path inside the hole for the G-string. The first time I changed strings it took me 25 minutes to get the G-string through the hole all the way so I could pull it across the fretboard and string it up. I had to contort the string in all sorts of weird awkward positions and jam it through.

revolther
May 27, 2008
If I'm not being overly naive, if it's a sring thru body electric perhaps there is the ball end of a previous sring stuck in there. Try pushing an unfolded paperclip through there maybe?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

CalvinDooglas posted:

I wouldn't pay a dime for tabs. Ears are free.

If you really want music written out, buy a book of transcriptions that are guaranteed accurate. And if you spend enough time and effort on tabs that paying cash for them is worth it, then you should probably just go ahead and learn to read the staff and have access to all the free music you'd ever want.

Except a lot of those books are almost as bad as tabs.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Epi Lepi posted:

Except a lot of those books are almost as bad as tabs.

like I said, ears are free.

Tabs are OK for reference if you're in a time crunch, but as often as possible it's best to figure out as much as you can by ear first. If you can't get something even after slowing down the recording and hacking away for a few hours, then check tabs. It's definitely the "hard" way, but in the long run you'll get much better at learning new music.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
So, some advice for beginners that pops up frequently in these threads is "get a cheap $400 guitar, so that if you find it's not for you, you won't have broken the bank." While that's good advice, I wouldn't automatically discount even cheaper guitars. I started out almost two years ago on a $99 Epiphone acoustic(actually a customer return, so even cheaper), bought online, and it was fantastic to learn on. The action is super low, much easier to play than my $600 electric, it stays in tune, etc. The frets could be a bit smoother and it's not as bright as with more expensive woods, but that's a matter of preference anyway.

Obviously YMMV, especially with cheap guitars, but you might just find a good one for under $100. I'll be using mine for years to come.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The problem with that is that yes, you _can_ find a good $99 guitar, but a beginner won't know the difference between a good $99 guitar and a crappy one. Nobody's saying that there isn't the occasional good egg. But there's a lot of bad ones in that price range, too. $200-400 is where there's a better chance for a good guitar than a crappy one.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

The problem with that is that yes, you _can_ find a good $99 guitar, but a beginner won't know the difference between a good $99 guitar and a crappy one. Nobody's saying that there isn't the occasional good egg. But there's a lot of bad ones in that price range, too. $200-400 is where there's a better chance for a good guitar than a crappy one.

What's really great is learning on a bad $99 guitar for a couple of months, then getting something in the mid price range, then wondering where the hell all this tone and clarity suddenly came from. This was me a few days ago...

minema
May 31, 2011
Along these lines, I've recently picked up my mum's old acoustic guitar and I'm really enjoying teaching myself from the justinguitar website, but the guitar's been promised to my brother so at some point I'll have to get my own.

I'm a student so money is a real consideration, and I don't mind having a slightly rubbish one until Christmas or something when I could get one from my parents. What would be a recommended guitar? I don't know anything about how much they cost but £100 would really be the most I'm able to spend at the moment.

Also, how long until my fingers stop hurting?!

minema fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 3, 2011

Spivey
Oct 16, 2009
Does anyone know where to get... Esoteric replacement parts for guitars?

I just picked up an Ovation Celebrity, and I'm starting to get into the New Acoustic style of playing after being off the wagon for a while - but I got it used, and the porthole on the back is missing a cover.

I have no clue where I can get my hands on a replacement. Ovation never got back to me, and no parts sellers online have it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://pickguards.us/

Betcha they can do it for you. Shouldn't be too hard. They do backplates. Ask 'em.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
How do you guys work on transcribing songs by ear? I've relied too much on tabs for a while, and I'd like to start working on the "by ear" technique the OP recommends, because I know it's better to improve your musical abilities (it's just that the perspective of so much hard work tends to puts me off, as I usually have little free time for the guitar).

Do you start to get the root note of each chord progression, say, using just single notes, and then try to start stacking notes on top of them to get the correct chords... or what?

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KaosPV posted:

How do you guys work on transcribing songs by ear? I've relied too much on tabs for a while, and I'd like to start working on the "by ear" technique the OP recommends, because I know it's better to improve your musical abilities (it's just that the perspective of so much hard work tends to puts me off, as I usually have little free time for the guitar).

Do you start to get the root note of each chord progression, say, using just single notes, and then try to start stacking notes on top of them to get the correct chords... or what?

I generally go one instrument at a time. Open it up in Audacity so you can zoom in on notes. Probably wanna start with the bass. Yea it does take a while but it's pretty useful cause you can't always find tabs for stuff.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

minema posted:

Along these lines, I've recently picked up my mum's old acoustic guitar and I'm really enjoying teaching myself from the justinguitar website, but the guitar's been promised to my brother so at some point I'll have to get my own.

I'm a student so money is a real consideration, and I don't mind having a slightly rubbish one until Christmas or something when I could get one from my parents. What would be a recommended guitar? I don't know anything about how much they cost but £100 would really be the most I'm able to spend at the moment.

Also, how long until my fingers stop hurting?!

If you really can't hold out until xmas to put your money into something better, you're probably best looking into a cheap brand name guitar like a Yamaha. I keep seeing people talk about the Yamaha F310 which is around £100, seems to be really well regarded and even has a solid top, and they seem pretty ubiquitous so you could probably find a music shop with one and give it a spin. There's one here too that's £60 with a ding on the side.

Your fingertips are going to be pretty tender for a while, they'll toughen up pretty quick though. You shouldn't have any actual pain in the fingers though - maybe some muscle aches after a while but they should pass when you relax your hand. Basically you shouldn't have any pain when you're not playing

KaosPV posted:

Personally I try to find the root notes of the progression, and once you have that you can start to work out what key it's in and what chords are probably in there. Try major or minor versions of the chords and see which fits with the song, and listen for any notes you can hear that aren't really present in your chord, find those single notes and try and incorporate them. If it's heavy music, which tends to be two- or three-string chords, you could start with power chords (root and fifth and maybe octave) and then do the comparison thing to check if there's a note in there you're missing.

Anything you're trying to learn in particular? I could give one a go just to give you the idea (I suck but it might help you get started!)

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 5, 2011

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
Hey, thanks a lot for the tips.

Yes, I'd like to find out what are the chords (in particular the staccato ones) in this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX2OQktqkMQ

I haven't even devoted a decent amount of time to it as I'm working on a paper that's due on tuesday, but I hope to be able to figure out some of them when I have some free time. Anyway if you can set me on my right track I'd appreciate it. Thanks! :)

Joepopo
Jul 4, 2011

Space is the place.
I am quite bew to gutar. I own a cort folk guitar since january. Right now practicing gqs brought me to the level where I enjoy playing it.

I am now considering buying an electric guitar. And I hope some goons may give me advice.

I m seeing guitar as a music instrument. And as far as I know. You should pay for quality when it comes to instruments as it keeps its value and it may be easier to play with a better instrument.

Right now I am looking at fender stratocasters ( hss or jim root signature) i am willing to get a us strat for the quality is better. Will that be a mistake? Is it stupid for a beginner to get a us strat instead of a mexican strat for instance?

I have a 1000eur budget but if i can get an equal stuff for less money, that s better.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

What exactly should I be doing in my daily practice?

I've been going through JustinGuitar's beginner course and I've pretty much exhausted it but I still don't really have an idea what I should be practicing regularly. Recently I've just been messing around a bit trying to play songs but I also want to be actually passably good at guitar and know scales and stuff.

So, if I'm aiming to practice at least an hour every day, what should that hour look like?

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Joepopo posted:

I am quite bew to gutar. I own a cort folk guitar since january. Right now practicing gqs brought me to the level where I enjoy playing it.

I am now considering buying an electric guitar. And I hope some goons may give me advice.

I m seeing guitar as a music instrument. And as far as I know. You should pay for quality when it comes to instruments as it keeps its value and it may be easier to play with a better instrument.

Right now I am looking at fender stratocasters ( hss or jim root signature) i am willing to get a us strat for the quality is better. Will that be a mistake? Is it stupid for a beginner to get a us strat instead of a mexican strat for instance?

I have a 1000eur budget but if i can get an equal stuff for less money, that s better.

If I were spending that much I wouldn't buy anything unless I could play it first. Every guitar model has variations, you want to make sure you like the specific guitar you're buying. Do you have any shops nearby?

Don't forget to include an amp in your budget, either. A $1000 guitar with a $100 modelling amp is a bit of a waste.

RillAkBea posted:

What exactly should I be doing in my daily practice?

I've been going through JustinGuitar's beginner course and I've pretty much exhausted it but I still don't really have an idea what I should be practicing regularly. Recently I've just been messing around a bit trying to play songs but I also want to be actually passably good at guitar and know scales and stuff.

So, if I'm aiming to practice at least an hour every day, what should that hour look like?

He has a page on practice time: http://justinguitar.com/en/PC-000-Practice.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

What amp would you guys recommend for small gigs/being heard over the drummer? I play a range of styles and I'm looking to spend up to £250 or so.