Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Well I just saw something real small and black crawl on his skin. I guess I ought to take him into the vet Monday or Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Today is not fun.

Figaro ate around an hour ago but now he's in the closet on some old clothes and I know it's just because he doesn't feel good but I'm freaking out anyway. He's not purring, doesn't really want attention, he just wants to rest. He isn't snorting anymore but he's obviously feeling like crap.

I want to take him to the vet first thing in the morning but I can't. Two people I work with are off tomorrow and a third doesn't work Monday anyway. So I get to freak out while I'm at work and hope he's okay by the time I get home.

gently caress. I wish there was a way for him to tell me that he's just got a cold and he'll be fine because right now I'm convincing myself it's worse than that. He's such a happy, friendly kitty so to see him the opposite of that makes me worry that he's going to just stop breathing or something :(

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

Esmerelda posted:

Today is not fun.

Figaro ate around an hour ago but now he's in the closet on some old clothes and I know it's just because he doesn't feel good but I'm freaking out anyway. He's not purring, doesn't really want attention, he just wants to rest. He isn't snorting anymore but he's obviously feeling like crap.

I want to take him to the vet first thing in the morning but I can't. Two people I work with are off tomorrow and a third doesn't work Monday anyway. So I get to freak out while I'm at work and hope he's okay by the time I get home.

gently caress. I wish there was a way for him to tell me that he's just got a cold and he'll be fine because right now I'm convincing myself it's worse than that. He's such a happy, friendly kitty so to see him the opposite of that makes me worry that he's going to just stop breathing or something :(

Does your vet have an emergency number? This kind of thing was an important factor in choosing my new vet. Or is there an e-vet around you? If you are that worried it might be worth a trip if only for your own peace of mind

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Cassiope posted:

Does your vet have an emergency number? This kind of thing was an important factor in choosing my new vet. Or is there an e-vet around you? If you are that worried it might be worth a trip if only for your own peace of mind
Yeah, he does, but Figaro is simply acting tired and that doesn't seem like much of an emergency.

He's on the sofa now, sort of sleeping. Still no snorting, still me freaking out regardless :(

I may end up doing the e-vet thing, the closest one sucks and the other is a $30 cab ride -- the one day I really regret not having a car.

*update*

Figaro isn't snorting really. He's kind of sneezing occasionally. But he's hiding from me, doesn't want to be touched or bothered. I check on him occasionally and one of those times he had his mouth open but he wasn't panting. I think he may have a fever but the vet I spoke to at the emergency clinic said that unless his breathings labored then they wouldn't worry, he's just feeling pretty crappy.

Since I can't take time off work tomorrow my mom is going to come and sit with him. If he starts to have trouble she'll take him to the vet.

I was thinking about the possibility that he may have something worse than a typical URI because the cat that was in the cage above Watson was pretty sick. The first day I was in there he was drooling and panting, they were medicating him but he was out with the other cats. The day I picked up Watson he was gone. But Watson isn't sick, he's fine.

I really hope Figaro starts to feel better -- tonight is going to be a long night.

Figaro just went to move sleeping spots. I was in his path and he ran around me like he was angry or scared. I don't know what is going on with him -- I wonder if he's suddenly pissed off about Watson?

Esmerelda fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 13, 2011

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Sorry to double post but I figured it's better to start a new one than to keep updating the old.

Figaro is acting really strangely. He's shying away from contact, especially anything heading towards his head. He is curious about toys but won't play. Curious about food but isn't eating (he last ate around 6 hours ago.) He was hiding in the closet but came out after he finally sneezed. A lot.

His sneezes are more like head shakes with snot -- it's clear.
He won't let me touch his head.
He almost seems like he doesn't really trust me.
He's breathing fine, I think, I can't really get close enough for long enough to watch for long.
Is it possible for cats to get sinus headaches? Because that's what it looks like he has.
His eyes are clear but they do look slightly watery.
He's been rubbing his nose most of the day, it's really red and looks a bit irritated.
His ears aren't overly warm.

He's on his cat tree now and I can keep an eye on him. My mom is coming over to watch him tomorrow and take him to the vet if necessary while I'm at work. I'd rather take him first thing but tomorrow is the day where I absolutely have to be there since 3 other people are out.

Not asking for a diagnosis or anything, I am taking him to the vet when I'm off work tomorrow regardless, but I'm trying to figure out what I can do to make him more comfortable. I just want him to feel better.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Call an e-vet and ask for advice, tell them youre taking him to a vet tomorrow. They may give you some idea of what to do. Otherwise, I'd leave him be. As long as he isn't hiding, let him relax. You don't want to stress out a sick cat. Is there any reason your mom cant take him to the vet when she arrives in the morning?

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

2508084 posted:

Call an e-vet and ask for advice, tell them youre taking him to a vet tomorrow. They may give you some idea of what to do. Otherwise, I'd leave him be. As long as he isn't hiding, let him relax. You don't want to stress out a sick cat. Is there any reason your mom cant take him to the vet when she arrives in the morning?
E-Vet said let him be since he isn't struggling to breathe -- they were kind of useless.

My mom doesn't have a car and I don't live close to any vet. My sister is driving her over then dropping her off to sit with him. My sister would take him but she has to go to work... tomorrow is just the epitome of a bad day for this.

I'm hoping I can get off a bit early but who knows. My office is small and 3 of the 8 people who work upstairs are out leaving me to basically run the admin stuff all day.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
You could close him in the bathroom with a humidifier if you have one?

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

You could close him in the bathroom with a humidifier if you have one?
Just did that, ran a shower and set him in there.

It looks like he's not sneezing, the mucus is just running out his nose, I think his sinuses are draining. It freaks him out too. He shakes his head then runs away leaving a splatter behind. All clear, no blood, but he's gotten it in his fur and he's unhappy about that. He's unhappy in general. And leaving mucus splatter everywhere -- cleaning up tomorrow is going to be fun! But it's good that it's clear and not staying in his nose, right?

His eyes are also watering pretty fiercely. Sinus infection maybe?

Spoke to the e-vet again and they told me the same thing. He isn't panting or struggling for breath but he's obviously not having a good time of it. If that changes I need to bring him in but he should be fine until the morning.

I'm going to grab some cab fare and send my mom with him in the morning around 10am if I can. I really wish I could take him first thing myself since I don't know if she'll be able to cage him.

Ugh, what a mess :(

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
- Age: 8-10 weeks (at work, would have to check the paper work at home)
- Sex: Male and Female
- How long have you had your cat? Two Days
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes
- What food do you use? Blue Buffalo Kitten
- When was your last vet visit? I'd have to double check, but at most two weeks ago.
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors
- How many pets in your household? 4 (2 cats and 2 lizards)
- How many litter boxes do you have? 1

We just adopted these guys from a shelter a couple days ago, and so far it is going pretty well! I just had two questions that maybe you guys could help me with.

1) They will eat dry food a little bit, but even more so if we mush it up a little bit for them. If we offer wet food, however, they both will eat a lot of it. How do I go about getting them switched over to eating dry food and not just holding back for the wet stuff?

2) The little boy also eats his food much, much faster than his sister. He will go after her food when he is done with his as well. How do I go about correcting his fast eating habit?

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 13, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Vital Signs posted:

1) They will eat dry food a little bit, but even more so if we mush it up a little bit for them. If we offer wet food, however, they both will eat a lot of it. How do I go about getting them switched over to eating dry food and not just holding back for the wet stuff?

2) The little boy also eats his food much, much faster than his sister. He will go after her food when he is done with his as well. How do I go about correcting his fast eating habit?

1) You can try mushing up wet food with crunchies. Over time reduce the wet:dry ratio and they'll eventually be used to just eating dry. However, it is very important to keep cats hydrated (especially males) and one of the easiest ways to do that is by feeding wet food. I know it's much less convenient, but it's important for their urinary health. Please consider keeping them on wet food at least part of the day.

2) I'd separate them. Put him in a bathroom or something with his dish and let him eat as quick as he wants. Let him out only when his sister is done. Another option is to feed him from a shallow dish or plate; that makes it more difficult/slower for him to eat. Another other option is to put bouncyballs in his dish so he has to eat around them. You could also make them share a dish, which would by necessity slow him down (though this might just result in her getting shut out).

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Vital Signs posted:

Holy poo poo I need to stop reading this thread

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

HandsomeBen posted:

Holy poo poo I need to stop reading this thread
They are so awesome! Sophie is a little bit lighter in color compared to Dre. Both are equally cute as all hell though.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Vital Signs posted:

They are so awesome! Sophie is a little bit lighter in color compared to Dre. Both are equally cute as all hell though.
I have never met an orange cat that wasn't awesome. Congrats!

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I got guinea pigs on saturday, and along with pigs comes hay. My 5 year old cat has started eating hay and has puked it up twice already. Any suggestions? Keeping the hay away from her wont really work as she can get it from the cage if she really wants it. How can I discourage her, or will enough puking get her to stop?

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I imagine it isn't wise to keep a cat and the pigs in the same room. Any way to keep them in a closed room? Cats have VERY dangerous bites.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
T

Abbeh posted:

I imagine it isn't wise to keep a cat and the pigs in the same room. Any way to keep them in a closed room? Cats have VERY dangerous bites.

The cage is protected, the cat cant get the pigs. But hay comes out through the grids anyway.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Esmerelda posted:

It looks like he's not sneezing, the mucus is just running out his nose, I think his sinuses are draining. It freaks him out too. He shakes his head then runs away leaving a splatter behind. All clear, no blood, but he's gotten it in his fur and he's unhappy about that. He's unhappy in general. And leaving mucus splatter everywhere -- cleaning up tomorrow is going to be fun! But it's good that it's clear and not staying in his nose, right?

I'm not a vet, and I've only dealt with this with dogs, but it sounds like it's a pretty basic cold/sinus infection that should go away on it's own. If the mucus is clear, and the cat isn't running a fever then it should clear up on it's own without much hassle. Is he still eating and drinking enough?

But yeah, if this has been going on for longer than a week or two the vet can probably give him some antibiotics.

Chin Strap posted:

T

The cage is protected, the cat cant get the pigs. But hay comes out through the grids anyway.

Is there a way to put the cage into a deep, clear tupperware container or something to catch the hay? Another thing would be to buy one of those laptop/cage stands and set it high enough that the cat can't get up close enough to get into the hay.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Aculard posted:

I'm not a vet, and I've only dealt with this with dogs, but it sounds like it's a pretty basic cold/sinus infection that should go away on it's own. If the mucus is clear, and the cat isn't running a fever then it should clear up on it's own without much hassle. Is he still eating and drinking enough?

But yeah, if this has been going on for longer than a week or two the vet can probably give him some antibiotics.
It hasn't been going on that long but he's absolutely miserable and freaks out if I touch his head. The fever part is what I'm most concerned about at this point because he's going from warm place to cold place and back again. He is eating and drinking, which is good, but I want to make sure it isn't something beyond the normal.

He's been hanging out with my mom today, she said he's made more snot messes and sometimes sits with his mouth a bit open and his tongue sticking out but isn't gasping for breath. Poor thing, new cat comes in and sneezes a bit then is fine while he's absolutely wrecked. The vet really just wants to get a good read on his temperature and check his lungs so I'm taking him when I get off of work.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Also keep in mind that if you have the same calorie amount of food in dry and in wet wet, the dry pile is going to look a lot smaller due to not being full of liquid (correct me if I'm talking out my rear end on this, I'm just going off based on feeding recommendations per pound on dry and wet). So they'll always be eating "less" of dry.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
If anyone cares Dexter finally took a poo poo. Actually.. he took two! My girlfriend cleaned up the do-do and put it in the litter box. Hopefully he'll start using it soon!

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
Hello cat thread! I'm having a problem with my lil' buddy. He is:

~6 years old, male, no more balls, very healthy and active, has clean litter and plenty of toys, never goes outside or encounters other pets because he's our only pet, and gets plenty of human attention.

The problem is that he has a frequent habit of associating 4AM with super jumpy play time, and jumps on all sorts of surfaces he shouldn't be on, like a tv stand where he might knock over a nice new flat screen, or desks with computer monitors. He doesn't jump up on kitchen counters, but laps are usually encouraged. We've tried discouraging this behavior with squirt bottles, jars full of coins, and now putting tin foil on the forbidden surfaces. He now has no fear of squirting or coin shaking, and very quickly associated tin foil = fun new thing to play with.

We've tried keeping him up all day so he sleeps more at night, but he still jumps all over things he isn't supposed to be on whenever he's awake.

How do I get my cat to stop jumping on everything when he's too dumb to be deterred by anything?

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I'm hoping someone can offer some reassurance here, but I'm having a kitten problem tonight. :(

Last Monday morning, a 6-7 week old kitten appeared on my doorstep. Shelter was closed on Monday, so we kept him in our spare shower with food/bed/litter and figured we'd take him in the following morning. By 4:30pm, we were making a vet appointment to get him checked out to keep him.

Vet saw him Tuesday and he had a coccidia infection but was otherwise extremely healthy. The vet said his poop was full of it, but he never exhibited bloody stools or diarrhea. Nonetheless, we kept him isolated from our other cats for the 5 days of treatment.

Since being freed of the bathroom he's been a ball of cute frisky kittenness. Up until this afternoon.

Here's where the problems start... At around 5:30, he meowed with great distress and vomited. This was a champion puke. It was half-digested food and looked like he literally emptied out his intestines, losing half his bodyweight there on the floor. Really, it was 3-4 times the amount I've seen a cat throw up ever, scaling for bodysize. He didn't seem affected by it though, and immediately went back to playing and tearing around. 15 minutes later, he ran to get some dinner and drank water normally. Everything still all good.

But then I noticed a huge amount of bloody urine when I went to clean out his litter box. 2 hours prior, his box for the entire week was normal -- no blood, healthy stool, everything. But this was bright-rear end red fresh blood, and a lot of it. Obviously, I called the vet. The kitten puked again (although a much more normal quantity) while I was on the phone with the vet.

The e-vet didn't want me to bring him in. He said to restrict food/water so his stomach could settle, smear a bit of honey/caro syrup on his gums a few times tonight, give him a little water before bed and bring him in again in the morning if he still can't hold food down. He probably just needed more coccidiostats and had a probable UTI.

That was 3 hours ago. In the time since, the kitten has become very lethargic. He curled up to sleep and barely reacts when you pet him, maybe purring quietly or squirming slightly if anything. He meows plaintively if picked up. He started out on the bed, but now he's tucked himself into a kitty playcube in a quiet corner of a dark room.

Basically, I'm worried he's going to continue deteriorating at this rate and die before we can get in to the vet tomorrow morning. Can anyone offer advice, or suggest things to make him more comfortable in the meantime?

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
Kittens can go downhill very fast, e-vets are more expensive but worth the peace of mind imo. I'd take him in.

edit: just noticed you posted this last night. How's he doing?

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
How is the kitty doing?

A Figaro update, he went to the vet and he has a bit of a fever but his lungs were clear. No antibiotics, my vet really doesn't like giving them for URIs unless absolutely necessary. I did get some stuff with lysine in it that might help (or it might not but it won't hurt him.)

Other than that, he was super relaxed in the cab there and on the bus back. The minute he was out of his box he let go with a massive sneeze then hid in the closet. Poor thing scares himself. He did eat quite a bit later, after he worked out why some of the dishes were higher than the others (this confused him.) I just let him be and this morning he let me pet him and purred for the first time in two days. Still sniffling and sneezing and not overly active but he's less grumpy so that's an improvement. Just waiting it out.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

He lived through the night and woke up in good form!

We're due at the vet in 90 minutes. Last night we'd squeezed the dregs of his coccidiostat into him; about five hours afterwards at 1am he came out from his dark box and joined us on the bed for a purr session. This morning he woke us up by meowing and scampering around, so he's back to his normal perky self. He's taking water but avoiding food, though. And still nothing to account for all the blood in the urine last night. I'm hoping the e-vet we spoke to last night was right about him just needing more coccidiostat and having a probable UTI; the Albon definitely seems to have done the trick to settle his discomfort and lethargy!

Very surprised and relieved to see him alert and running/climbing though, since I expected to wake up to a dead or comatose kitten. Silly how attached you can get after a week. :)

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
I looked through some of the thread but didn't see this question answered. I also know I'll probably be dipped in napalm and lit on fire. Whatever.

I recently adopted two nine-week old kittens from a friend. I need to get their routine de-worming done, but the vets around here want close to $200 a kitten just to get de-wormed - not including vaccines and whatever else they'll guilt me into. This is bullshit, because they're indoor kittens that don't have fleas and don't hunt wild animals outside - it's loving Roundworm that passed through the mother's milk, just like in 90% of cases.

I'm a poor student as well. I know, how irresponsible of me to have a pet when I don't have a high five-figure job. I also spent $2500 in medical bills on two cats that ended up dying eight months ago, which I'm still feeling to this day, and I didn't expect it would cost me another $500 just so a vet could give me the $20 in meds my kittens need. Regardless, I want to know what brands of roundworm meds are safe and effective. I've heard that Hartz-brand stuff is tantamount to feeding your pet poison, so I want to stay away from that brand. Both kittens are completely healthy aside from the worms that every kitten gets.

Please don't respond with "just take them to a vet!" Yeah, I get it, taking them to a vet would be great, if I wasn't still $2500 in debt from the last time the vets milked me dry and didn't even save my loving cats anyways. Just please offer some constructive advice.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Fractal Cat posted:

I looked through some of the thread but didn't see this question answered. I also know I'll probably be dipped in napalm and lit on fire. Whatever.

I recently adopted two nine-week old kittens from a friend. I need to get their routine de-worming done, but the vets around here want close to $200 a kitten just to get de-wormed - not including vaccines and whatever else they'll guilt me into. This is bullshit, because they're indoor kittens that don't have fleas and don't hunt wild animals outside - it's loving Roundworm that passed through the mother's milk, just like in 90% of cases.

I'm a poor student as well. I know, how irresponsible of me to have a pet when I don't have a high five-figure job. I also spent $2500 in medical bills on two cats that ended up dying eight months ago, which I'm still feeling to this day, and I didn't expect it would cost me another $500 just so a vet could give me the $20 in meds my kittens need. Regardless, I want to know what brands of roundworm meds are safe and effective. I've heard that Hartz-brand stuff is tantamount to feeding your pet poison, so I want to stay away from that brand. Both kittens are completely healthy aside from the worms that every kitten gets.

Please don't respond with "just take them to a vet!" Yeah, I get it, taking them to a vet would be great, if I wasn't still $2500 in debt from the last time the vets milked me dry and didn't even save my loving cats anyways. Just please offer some constructive advice.

The constructive advice is to take your cats to a vet. We can't give you advice that a vet should give, besides it being in the forum rules, we don't even know what kind of worms they are. Animals with fleas get tapeworms, not roundworms.

Also, nice job coming in here being a total dick and still expecting help. No one expects you to have a 5 figure job, just enough money to properly care for the pets you committed to. Like you know, being able to afford one vet visit. 9 weeks is too soon to be apart from the mother, and how do you expect to pay for fixing them? You need to look in to low cost clinics, lots of them do vaccinations and such at a lower cost as well as spaying/neutering.

How did you have two cats die at once?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

RheaConfused posted:

Clearly his vet murdered them. :colbert:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

RheaConfused posted:

Also, nice job coming in here being a total dick and still expecting help. No one expects you to have a 5 figure job, just enough money to properly care for the pets you committed to.

Im pretty sure it his hard to have enough money to properly care for pets on less than 10,000 a year (which is a 5 figure job). That's not really asking alot when it comes to pet ownership.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Chin Strap posted:

Im pretty sure it his hard to have enough money to properly care for pets on less than 10,000 a year (which is a 5 figure job). That's not really asking alot when it comes to pet ownership.

touché

:ughh:

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

RheaConfused posted:

One cat got feline pneumonia from inhaling his own vomit from a hairball. By the time any symptoms showed up, and I took him to the emergency clinic at my vets, he was as good as dead.

The second one was a very old cat who, upon losing his brother, stopped eating out of depression. After force-feeding, subcutaneous saline injections, liver meds, appetite stimulants and bile flushers, his liver failed, he got fluid in his abdomen, and he got put down before he died. He didn't want to live anymore. The vet told me there was nothing they or I could do in either situation.

So now that sordid situation is out of the way, can I get some advice on what to do? I don't have the money to take them to a vet. When I got kittens back ten years ago, it was $70 per cat to get them dewormed. For a procedure that's done to every single cat, that was acceptable. Now it's $200, and for some reason, every vet in this city is quoting me the exact same number down to the penny, which I find a bit ridiculous.

I'm sorry that I was a bit confrontational. I was really pissed off after calling the vet and getting a quote around ~$400 for the pair of them, from the vets office that took $2500 of my money and failed to do a damned thing for my cats. They've never been outdoors, they don't have fleas, and they don't eat small animals. They also haven't been in contact with any other cats. This means it's roundworm, like in 95% of mother cat->kitten transference. I'm looking for advice on treating roundworm. If nobody can give advice, or it's against the rules, then that's cool.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
They need an exam, otherwise no one knows what they have. You haven't even described symptoms.

Not every cat has roundworms. The standard deworming treatment costs nowhere near $200. I seriously doubt anyone here will suggest an OTC dewormer when these cats haven't even been seen by a vet and you have no true idea of what they have and usually OTC dewormers don't work very well. It is against the rules.

PI RULES posted:

4. DO NOT ASK FOR BLATANT VETERINARY ADVICE HERE - the answer will be that you need to see your vet. This is because you need to see your vet. Why would you trust random internet weirdos over someone who's actually seen your pet?

... was the second "very old cat" one of those 10 year old kittens? because that is not old.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 15, 2011

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.
Is that the only vet clinic around you? When I called EVERY vet clinic in my area the cheapest price I found for an annual (with all vaccinations) was $60 ish dollars. Alternatively, as someone else mentioned, look into low cost spay and neuter programs as they usually have other medical services cheap too. Your local animal shelter or humane society should have info. on that for you.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Fractal Cat posted:

:words:

I get you're upset. I really do. However, this is not the best approach as you've already mentioned. I know you don't want to hear it, but your best alternative is to take your pet to a vet. Definitely "shop" around via phone. Explain your situation. Vets are more willing to work with people in financial crisis situations than you'd expect. Good luck!

And yes, it is against the rules to give veterinary advice.

Peach
Mar 13, 2005

not only am I right, I'm a better penpal than you are.

Fractal Cat posted:

still $2500 in debt from the last time the vets milked me dry and didn't even save my loving cats anyways.

If you couldn't pay anything towards your last bill from 8 months ago why did you make such a commitment now? Honestly curious about this.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Just checking in on this thread. It's been almost 3 months now since I adopted Jackie (a 4-year-old kitty who use to live with my dad and step-mom). She wasn't getting along with her two little brothers, who would try to play rough with her a lot and which she did not appreciate. My folks thought she really wanted to be an only cat, and I was at a point where I really wanted a cat of my own. Since I'd always liked Jackie, we decided to see how it'd work if she moved in with me.

And things have really been *perfect*, both me and Jackie continue to be really happy with the arrangement. :3: She's gone from being ill-tempered, tense, and curmudgeonly to happy, relaxed, and playful. I was a little afraid that she wouldn't like going from being an indoor/outdoor cat to an indoor-only cat, but this has not bothered her *at all* - she is totally thrilled to be indoors all the time. I've made little beds and perches for her in front of a couple open windows, and she is totally content to sit at those occasionally and watch the birds, and suchlike. We get along really well together; she's a very relaxed and chilled out cat, and is very happy to just lie at my feet on the other side of the couch when I'm on my laptop a lot of the time, sometimes coming over to my side to cuddle.

I dunno though, I guess I'm really surprised that it's gone so smoothly. I was always a little afraid to have a dog/cat because I figured it would cramp my style, or something would be really difficult or trying. But Jackie's really perfect - she doesn't even do annoying stuff that I always imagined a cat would do - like chew on my USB cables or shoelaces, claw up my furniture (or me, for that matter), knock stuff over and make messes, etc. She always uses her litter box, doesn't make too much of a mess when eating, is a little invasive when I'm sleeping but not to the point where she wakes me up a lot, doesn't meow constantly for no reason... She's just perfect. :) And I totally love her - I couldn't imagine not having her around anymore. She's easily and by far the best little roommate I've ever had.

Here, I managed to snap this pic of her by accident while she was in the middle of a big yawn, thought it was cute. This isn't her being angry, although I imagine it looks deceptively similar:

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds
Travel questions but figured the following may help.

- Sex: one male, one female
- How long have you had your cat: 4.75 years in both cases
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes they are
- What food do you use? California Naturals dry, Wellness wet
- When was your last vet visit? January 2011
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Both are indoors
- How many pets in your household? 2
- Additional info: Both are Siamese and the boy cat is a screamer, and he can meow at top volume for hours

After several months of "oh we'll probably want you to move" I finally got the "we NEED you to move by the end of June" from my job this week. I'll be moving from Colorado to Washington DC and am worried about what to do with my cats. My initial instinct was to fly them as checked baggage on United, which I've done before successfully October 2008 (I'm flying alone so I can't bring them both as carry on and I think that it's best to keep them together. Feel free to correct me on this). However the more reading I do the more concerned I am about the heat in DC when we land.

So if people have had similar experiences of flying pets in the summer I'd like to hear what worked for you, or just any suggestions in general about how I can get them to DC in the safest manner while traveling alone myself.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Rain Brain posted:

Travel questions but figured the following may help.

- Sex: one male, one female
- How long have you had your cat: 4.75 years in both cases
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes they are
- What food do you use? California Naturals dry, Wellness wet
- When was your last vet visit? January 2011
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Both are indoors
- How many pets in your household? 2
- Additional info: Both are Siamese and the boy cat is a screamer, and he can meow at top volume for hours

After several months of "oh we'll probably want you to move" I finally got the "we NEED you to move by the end of June" from my job this week. I'll be moving from Colorado to Washington DC and am worried about what to do with my cats. My initial instinct was to fly them as checked baggage on United, which I've done before successfully October 2008 (I'm flying alone so I can't bring them both as carry on and I think that it's best to keep them together. Feel free to correct me on this). However the more reading I do the more concerned I am about the heat in DC when we land.

So if people have had similar experiences of flying pets in the summer I'd like to hear what worked for you, or just any suggestions in general about how I can get them to DC in the safest manner while traveling alone myself.

I would definitely give the airline you are using a call. Many of them have no fly rules for pets as baggage from June to the end of August because of the heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

WHY is this HAPPENING to me?!
What are people's thoughts on covered vs. open litterboxes? I think it is time for Pooka to get a bigger box, and since I live in a studio I was thinking perhaps one of those dome-covered boxes would keep the smell down. I feel like I've heard that some cats don't like them as much, though, so wanted to hear what people's experiences have been?