Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I love the sickly sweet smell of future floor finish. Is that so wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

devlan mud smells like toes

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

:siren: Stop ingesting paint, most pigments are highly toxic and can actually cause you to develop an allergy to them, or worse. :siren:

I don't know what your talking about, I don't eat paint!

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
So I'm BAD with getting tanks and vehicles painted, which is funny since I chose IG. Aside from airbrushes, is there any go-to paint system/ brush combo that is best for getting a nice, thin even coat in 1-3 tries?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What's up with the Mantic dark elves? Did they release more than that one awful photo?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

handbanana125 posted:

So I'm BAD with getting tanks and vehicles painted, which is funny since I chose IG. Aside from airbrushes, is there any go-to paint system/ brush combo that is best for getting a nice, thin even coat in 1-3 tries?

Go to the art store and get a bigass flat brush, like 1 inch or so. Quality doesn't matter as much as you don't have a point to keep; no need to drop 30 dollars on a series 7. Base with a thinned foundation/extra opaque paint and you'll be set.

Be warned that you need to be careful with the edges, as they're sometimes hard to hit.

moths posted:

What's up with the Mantic dark elves? Did they release more than that one awful photo?

I haven't even seen the photo. I really want to like Mantic but their models are so awful. Their Dwarves aren't so bad except the limited poses and about half the Undead range is salvageable.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 15, 2011

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So I was going to give my Captain dude a wash and am considering using dish soap or whatever, but I've heard P3 Mixing Medium and a little water works just as well. Should I be fine using that instead?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

bhsman posted:

So I was going to give my Captain dude a wash and am considering using dish soap or whatever, but I've heard P3 Mixing Medium and a little water works just as well. Should I be fine using that instead?

P3 mixing medium is pretty awesome. Jeff and I use it all the time, for all the washes we make now. It's what he used to do all the green glowing souls on his Cryx if you remember how those came out. They came out badass since he won Master Craftsman with them at last years GenCon Hardcore and got their picture in No Quarter. :P I think it works better than dish soap and is a good investment if you make a lot of your own washes.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

GoodBee posted:

P3 mixing medium is pretty awesome. Jeff and I use it all the time, for all the washes we make now. It's what he used to do all the green glowing souls on his Cryx if you remember how those came out. They came out badass since he won Master Craftsman with them at last years GenCon Hardcore and got their picture in No Quarter. :P I think it works better than dish soap and is a good investment if you make a lot of your own washes.

Considering you sold me the bottle I was kinda hoping you'd be the one to respond. :v:

Cool beans, I'll give it a shot. See you guys this Saturday at the tourney!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

bhsman posted:

Considering you sold me the bottle I was kinda hoping you'd be the one to respond. :v:

Cool beans, I'll give it a shot. See you guys this Saturday at the tourney!

Maybe you think my opinion doesn't count and I was just trying to sell you crap. :P
Saturday is Free RPG Day and I think a Magic release in addition to the 40K tourney. The shop may be crazy crowded. Jeff will be there Saturday if you have any wash specific questions.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

crime fighting hog posted:

By priming my tongue krylon flat black

Dude, why?

Prime white to paint pink. :v:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Damnit.
Fixed.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

While it doesn't have mold lines, it is crafty...

My uncle used his die-cut printer to make a couple of adeptus mechanicus decals (and a slaanesh stencil).

Now to figure out where I'm slapping this giant thing down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

crime fighting hog posted:

I will never stop shoving pots of mechite red into my mouth like a loving woodchipper.

Cadmium red is the worst. The Worst Thing. :byodood:

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

... I got a roll of Javis Countryside Scenics cork from Ebay, but it's way too fine and smooth. Any suggestions ?

Try using low grit sandpaper, or scraping the high surface on something like a sidewalk or brick wall.

Real hurthling! posted:

devlan mud smells like toes

All the paints smell bad, Foundation and the washes smell like cold sick.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

Just ordered my airbrush/compressor. Oh god, I need to stop reading these threads.

*Actually, since it is already ordered... I NEED TO READ MORE!!*

Which did you get?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Manifest posted:

My uncle used his die-cut printer to make a couple of adeptus mechanicus decals (and a slaanesh stencil).

Clearly, you are making a battleboard of a Mechanicus shrine under assault, with a giant gently caress-off decal in the middle of the arena.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Clearly, you are making a battleboard of a Mechanicus shrine under assault, with a giant gently caress-off decal in the middle of the arena.

I'd kill for that decal. It'd look so boss on my case :3:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I cant seem to remember what thread I was talking to Richyp (?) about the red on his blood ravens. What I was trying to tell him, in any case, was that he was going up to bright highlights in his yellow, but those highlights weren't working to define the model for him.

The red is scab red base, wide red gore highlights, smaller redgore blood red50/50, blood red edges and then extreme highlights of blood red bronzed flesh and some menoth white highlight (just use any white). I originally left off the last highlight, but it helped to define the edges of the model a lot and it pops now. When mixing up the paint I thought it would be too bright, and if I was doing a more broad highlight it would be, but just a tiny line on the edges is all it takes.

Anyhow, the flesh tearer dread is for my friends deathwing army which thematically is going to be crusading terminator force made up of veterans from different chapters under the command of an inquisitor or some poo poo like that. Anyhow, the point is I get to paint all of these wild colour schemes and won't get bored and my friend gets a new army to play with. My goals with this army are to paint a bit neater and work on my free hand. This army will be put on the back burner a bit while I paint another friends pre heresy TS army up in about a month, so these will be on the back burner for a bit. So here are some pics of what I have gotten up to lately:

(Poseidon Pals, triton chapter badge)

(gaaaaaaaay)

(Sons of Medusa, excuse the skull, it is getting redone.)

There will be a crusade badge for the whole army on the should pad heraldry shield thingo. Currently it is a black flag but that is going to change...

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
what's with the upside down 40mm bases? Is there some protip I don't know?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

what's with the upside down 40mm bases? Is there some protip I don't know?

I just did it like that because it will make it easier to remove them later on to put on the custom resin bases that I will be making and also there is less chance of damaging the paint on the feet this way as well.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I would go full Ham and put one of those decals on my car. That's how much they rule.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

it is certainly more refreshing than seeing another autobot sticker on a toyota corolla.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Which did you get?

Badger Velocity

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Big Willy Style posted:

I cant seem to remember what thread I was talking to Richyp (?) about the red on his blood ravens. What I was trying to tell him, in any case, was that he was going up to bright highlights in his yellow, but those highlights weren't working to define the model for him

Looks good. My old Crimson Fists and Blood Ravens (from 2007 not the test ones earlier) used to use the extreme highlighting approach too. All these were ebayed off a while ago.

These are a few years old, before I learned to love the awesomeness that is acrylic medium and the billion layers it makes you do. Now I tend to paint using super thinned paint and build it up slowly rather than paint 10 guys at a time in 2hrs, that and I prefer the muted mono look, to the "Tron Look" as my wife called it before I decided to sell them in shame.

In other news I've just bought a box of Space Wolves (told you it would happen) and have a few new shiny white primed guys drying in the garage waiting for some love. Expect to see some pictures tomorrow as I'm too tired tonight, more of this, only with actual wolf stuff.

richyp fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 15, 2011

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

it is certainly more refreshing than seeing another autobot sticker on a toyota corolla.

My Honda CRV is blessed by the Ommisiah!

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Manifest posted:

My Honda CRV is blessed by the Ommisiah!

Is it a darker shade of red? because the omnisiah demands that all his aspects are in a shade of red reminiscent of mars.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Is it a darker shade of red? because the omnisiah demands that all his aspects are in a shade of red reminiscent of mars.

It is Dark Angels green.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Gonna get the Emperor peeing on a 9-point star

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'd love to get some color advice for my Eldar Rangers. The rest of my army is painted primarily in a sort of bone/ceramic and teal, with small purple accents. You can see enough of what I have done in my history here. I would like the Rangers to echo that theme, but I also want to give some indication of their camouflage. I was thinking about painting their basic outfits the same as the rest of the army, and then painting their outer coats in a darker brown. I am not skilled enough to do some crazy color blending, but I was also considering doing a leaf pattern across parts of the coat - I would probably do that in a dark green. How does that sound? I don't want the green/brown to clash with the existing colors. I had thought about doing some of the leaf pattern in an autumn orange, but that would clash with the teal, right?

I swear I try, but I am just really bad at colors. :(

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Manifest posted:

Slaanesh stencils spraypainted all over your neighborhood.

Ashcans posted:

I'd love to get some color advice for my Eldar Rangers. The rest of my army is painted primarily in a sort of bone/ceramic and teal, with small purple accents. You can see enough of what I have done in my history here. I would like the Rangers to echo that theme, but I also want to give some indication of their camouflage. I was thinking about painting their basic outfits the same as the rest of the army, and then painting their outer coats in a darker brown. I am not skilled enough to do some crazy color blending, but I was also considering doing a leaf pattern across parts of the coat - I would probably do that in a dark green. How does that sound? I don't want the green/brown to clash with the existing colors. I had thought about doing some of the leaf pattern in an autumn orange, but that would clash with the teal, right?

I swear I try, but I am just really bad at colors. :(

Can you post an example of another model in your army, particularly your basing style?

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 16, 2011

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Wazzu posted:

Slaanesh stencils spraypainted all over your neighborhood.

:ssh:

I gotta get a can of purple or pink spraypaint, so I can throw one on the top of my army box. I slapped one of the decals on the front and it looks sweet.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rough work on the stone keeper

Raunchy
Jan 22, 2011

Okay so I need help or tips with highlight* with black. I am doing a path finder Shas'Ui and I want his pants black.

Raunchy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 16, 2011

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
So You Want to Highlight Black

"Say there, Billy Everyteen! That's sure is a swell looking model you have. You built it with careful precision: cleaning your mold lines, drilling your barrels and filling gaps with epoxy. Yes, it sure is a fine model, but now that you've got painting to do, you've become unsure what to do next, haven't you?"

"Well Billy, there's no reason to worry! Putting paint on a model, after applying a primer coat, can be done in three easy steps: base-coating, shading and highlighting. Now, just pick a color, and we'll go from there."

"Oh no, you've selected black: a fine choice for sure, Billy, but how do you highlight and shade something that is so dark already? Ah, it seems you remembered already, Billy--no wonder you do so well in school! That's right, when you want black, it's often easier to paint a dark gray first, then shade with pure black and highlight with a slightly lighter shade of gray."

"Excellent, Billy; careful use of a palette to mix your black with your gray paints (a 50/50 ratio works just fine) and place your base-coat. Then, with 75% black and 25% gray, apply your shading. You're doing swell, Billy. Now, for the highlight, a 60% gray and 40% black mixture should give you a noticeable difference for a highlight. If it's not bright enough, or you want to add a more prominent highlight, simply increase the ratio of gray and lower the ratio of black."

"With practice and patience, you'll have a model that you can truly be proud of before too long!"

Copyright Proper Films Inc., MCMLII

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QDRZTeubs

The calming music is a nice change from the lovely techno/metal on most painting vids.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

Expect to see some pictures tomorrow as I'm too tired tonight, more of this, only with actual wolf stuff.

First Wolf Guard done. Next batch will be Blood Claws made up from the rest of this box plus a few marine bits I have kicking around.

richyp fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 16, 2011

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wazzu posted:

Can you post an example of another model in your army, particularly your basing style?
I sure can! I have been doing dark brown bases with grey ruins/flagstones/tidbits on them. I would probably stick to that for the Rangers, maybe put a little bit more scenery on some of the bases.

Here are some guardians (which I figure are closest to the Rangers in general design):

And here are a couple other army pieces:

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm learning how to paint and recently have been doing grey knights. What happens when you brush slips with a metallic and runs over the lettering, making the letters unrecognizable? Do you have to strip the entire thing or is there some kind of quick fix to it.

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...
Finally got to painting again after a month and a half break due to moving and did this last night. Time to finish that box of Kans :orks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xerin posted:

I'm learning how to paint and recently have been doing grey knights. What happens when you brush slips with a metallic and runs over the lettering, making the letters unrecognizable? Do you have to strip the entire thing or is there some kind of quick fix to it.

just paint back over the mistake in the original color. You don't strip a whole model to fix a mistake unless you go nuts and slap tons of chunky paint on there and ruin it totally.

• Locked thread