Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Zorba the Greek posted:

Both sides are completely loving disgusting. Sri Lankan government or Tamil Tigers. They both did extremely hosed up things but goddamn I can't believe that poo poo happened without anyone in the international community going in. We loving go into Libya under the pretence of protecting civilians but when poo poo like that happens, we don't get involved?

gently caress that bullshit man. loving goddamn bullshit. That documentary hit me hard man my god. The images of the dead children got me so loving angry. gently caress the previous government from not doing anything and gently caress the international community too. :smithicide:

EDIT: Apologies for the rant but I am so pissed off right now.
That was the toughest documentary to watch. Horrifyingly disturbing.

I've been to Sri Lanka a couple of times lately (once before the war had ended) and though talking about it was A Bad Idea, the majority of people seemed to hate the entire war and all the leaders who were pushing it. That said, some perfectly ordinary (and seemingly lovely) people I spoke to turned out to be in favour of genocide (seriously: one guy brought it up out of the blue while we were driving). I don't understand it at all.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I genuinely think that Richard Herring has ceased to act insane as part of his act and has actually become insane.

Watch the latest video episode of AIOTM to see this in action.

e: Here it is. Warning: Probably not anything safe.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
What's insane about sitting in a bath of flour and water mixture because a bunch of internet nerds judged your use of said flour and water mixture as a spunk substitute was an immoral act?

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

Ddraig posted:

I genuinely think that Richard Herring has ceased to act insane as part of his act and has actually become insane.

Watch the latest video episode of AIOTM to see this in action.

e: Here it is. Warning: Probably not anything safe.

My god. I didn't think he'd actually do it...

The last couple eps of AIOTM (aiotm) have been superb.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Catching up on series 1 of Luther. Holy poo poo this is all amazing. The weird relationship he has with crazy parent killer feels a bit forced though.

edit: is anyone else having reception issues with the digital changeover?

Up until the "second phase" I was able to get all the usual channels perfectly. Now that the changeover has happened, i've all but lost connection to dave and the signal from BBC and channel 4 stations keep intermittantly going down and back up again.

Kin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 15, 2011

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

NaDy posted:

I literally don't understand how they could have let the Sri Lankan government to get away with this. How can we justify going into Libya and do nothing for the Sri Lankans? I'm so bloody confused with governments in general, they've all left me so jaded.

we can't justify going into Libya, that's the thing. If we really did care about human rights and protecting innocent people or whatever pretense we had for Libya we wouldn't of ignored yemen, syria, palestine and countless others.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

edit: is anyone else having reception issues with the digital changeover?

Up until the "second phase" I was able to get all the usual channels perfectly. Now that the changeover has happened, i've all but lost connection to dave and the signal from BBC and channel 4 stations keep intermittantly going down and back up again.

Make sure you do a full rescan of all the channels.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

NaDy posted:

I literally don't understand how they could have let the Sri Lankan government to get away with this. How can we justify going into Libya and do nothing for the Sri Lankans? I'm so bloody confused with governments in general, they've all left me so jaded.

How much oil does Sri Lanka have?

Exactly.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Flatscan posted:

Make sure you do a full rescan of all the channels.

Done that multiple times over the last few days now. No difference. Unless there are some teething issues, i've no idea why i'd get marginally worse reception.

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:
RIpley better not be deid.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
While it isn't a intellectual side splitting laugh a minute kind of thing I find Gary Tank Commander oddly soothing to watch.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

John_Anon_Smith posted:

RIpley better not be deid.

Not a pretty lady so I expect he's safe.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Catzilla posted:

Exactly.

This is true. I know next to nothing about world politics, it's just amazing how the government can kettle civilians into 'no fire zones' then shell the gently caress out of them.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Catzilla posted:

Exactly.

Yeah, this is the only reason why imo, they didn't go in.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Sri Lanka was a profitable conflict: http://www.caat.org.uk/press/archive.php?url=20110615prs

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
So we've replaced the heart-felt comedic antics of the Rileys in "Life of Riley" with the heart-felt comedic antics of the Flynns in "In with the Flynns".

I mean who hasn't thought "Hey! What that former Hollyoaks, Casualty, Two Pints and more recently White Van Man comedy actor Will Mellor really needs is a prime-time BBC one family situational comedy vehicle to show off his extreme range and ability"? Well somebody at the BBC obviously agrees.

I think I'm addicted to the bad telly on Wednesday nights. Although I might have to stop, I've found myself getting a bit involved with Waterloo Road.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Well, that's the first series of Luther marathoned. I missed the first 15 minutes or so of the new episode, does it synch up with what happened at the end of the last one?

I mean it ended with Luthor and the other 2 just standing over the bent coppers body. Did the first 15 minutes pick up immediately after that or did it not really address exactly what happened in the aftermath?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

It picks up a few months later, maybe even....Real time! But yeah it kind of brushes it under the carpet as I remember at the time thinking, loving hell how are they going to get out of that, but it worked out alright for most parties. Besides, it's on iplayer anyway.

Sometimes I like to imagine what iplayer would have looked like in the 80s. It would probably be one of the best things.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I thought it was implied that Alice took responsibility.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zorba the Greek posted:

Yeah, this is the only reason why imo, they didn't go in.

It entirely depends who our allies are, who it is easy to attack. You better believe that if Saudi Arabia started killing shitloads of people we wouldn't do a thing about it. And they have plenty of oil.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Christ, this thread has become huge. Anyway, anyone here watched BBC's Exile or The Shadow Line? They look good, but all the reviews I'm finding seem to be based on only one episode. Latest UK shows I've watched were Sherlock Holmes (a lot of fun), Luther (ridiculous but entertaining enough and the family enjoyed it) and Downton Abbey (pretty good).

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I haven't seen it but The Shadow Line has been getting rave reviews in this thread

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'd recommend the Shadow Line, it's a solid thriller with some very good casting choices, and random acts of violence.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

I thought it was implied that Alice took responsibility.
Not implied, outright stated.

Though Luther was on gardening leave and Ripley was bounced back to uniform.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I got a little confused last night as I saw Gatehouse going around an office with big hair, but realized it was V for Vendetta after a few minutes.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Kin posted:

Well, that's the first series of Luther marathoned. I missed the first 15 minutes or so of the new episode, does it synch up with what happened at the end of the last one?

I mean it ended with Luthor and the other 2 just standing over the bent coppers body. Did the first 15 minutes pick up immediately after that or did it not really address exactly what happened in the aftermath?

Why marathon the first season and then not watch all of the first episode of the new season. Couldn't you have just waited an hour and watched it on iplayer?
Not having a go or anything, it just seems odd to me.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

Why marathon the first season and then not watch all of the first episode of the new season. Couldn't you have just waited an hour and watched it on iplayer?
Not having a go or anything, it just seems odd to me.

Because i watched most of the first episode of series 2 as it aired two nights ago and then went back to watch the first series because it was good. :confused:

It's not exactly a new concept.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Kin posted:

Because i watched most of the first episode of series 2 as it aired two nights ago and then went back to watch the first series because it was good. :confused:

It's not exactly a new concept.

I think he meant why not just go back and fill in those 15 minutes after your marathon?

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

Cerv posted:

Not implied, outright stated.

Though Luther was on gardening leave and Ripley was bounced back to uniform.

Oh right, must have missed the outright stating bit, I got that Ripley was sent back to the beat for his role in the finale and Luther was nearly removed.

Does Andrew Marr still work for the BBC? Or does he just make seemingly dull but actually really quite interesting and well-made documentaries?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

I think he meant why not just go back and fill in those 15 minutes after your marathon?

Only at home intermittantly throughout the day? Forums can be accessed from my phone? General message board format? Take your pick.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

So, the Shadow Line, then. Probably the best 7 hours of TV I've seen this year.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I just like the themetune.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Semprini posted:

So, the Shadow Line, then. Probably the best 7 hours of TV I've seen this year.

It went a little weird this episode (Pensions? Honey? PENSIONS?) but drat was that a brutal ending.

Did I miss the deal with Bede's wife and the turkish dude? Last week I got the impression that he was setting up her euthanasia, but nothing came from that.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
Mock the Week was hilarious again. My box missed out on the last 2 minutes though, what was the name of that female comic? She seemed rather strange :raise:

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Goddamn Shadow Line. I knew that it wasn't going to have the most sparkly unicorns of happy endings, but that was just unremitting. The bad guys won and the good guys (and there I include Bede) lost.

Still, wonderful series, and gently caress the haters who don't get that the "hokey" elements are supposed to be deliberately arch.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Recommending Our War again. It's the best insight into the military situation on the ground in Afghanistan that I've seen - from a British perspective at least.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

Lurchibles posted:

Mock the Week was hilarious again. My box missed out on the last 2 minutes though, what was the name of that female comic? She seemed rather strange :raise:

Diane Morgan. MTW's the only place I've seen her, but she did stand out as funny enough the first time around for me to remember her. or maybe it's just because she's Northern like me. She didn't seem to contribute too much this time though.

Apocalypso
Oct 31, 2004

HELP ME MIKE
The majority of my TV time the last few weeks has been spent on the Springwatch Photo Gallery on freeview. It's just the same photos looping every 5 minutes with the same four chillout-ish tracks playing in the background but it's absolutely brilliant. I'm going to miss it. Anyone have a tracklist?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Shadow Line was awesome. Perfect ending. I may have missed a bit from the last episode but how did Jonah end up on the retired copper's boat with him essentially spilling his guts about the entire thing.

The last i recall, he had found out that the money was marked and that led back to the chief, then Glickman told him about Gatehouse and then that whole drama with Gatehouse went down in his house. Then the last thing in episode 6 was him sitting on a bench in a park teling his direct boss that he got shot because of the money and how it meant Harvey was working for the coppers.

Was there a name mentioned for the guy on the boat that i missed or something, because he basically gets a phone call and then he's on the boat. Are we to assume that because he figured out that much, he was just called and told to go there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Salute a baby.

I thought the old guy who funded the thing had the boat that Jonah visited last episode so he already knew where he was. I think I need to watch it again to understand how it all fits together. Altogether I thought it really good, hopefully they'll be more drama as good as that in the future.