Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

GruntingCod posted:

Looking for an invite. Sleestax in-game.

Not Sleestakk of "WE SPAWNED HIM!" fame, surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

browncoat434
Mar 18, 2011
Another goon creeping away from the stagnant MMO genre, got faith this will be a great change of pace.

-Thibbin

browncoat434 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 22, 2011

Shivv
May 23, 2011
<~ Bollron is a goon

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
PL bug is fixed!

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Tash posted:

PL bug is fixed!

I saw that. How the hell did it get fixed? What was the issue?

j883376
Aug 7, 2006

Linux Toddler!
Slaariel fixes every bug because there are no bugs.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
SoD is a cool game for cool people. Come play with us!

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Just purchased 4 banner ads. If anyone wants to join in advertising the server feel free to buy some 8 dollar banner ads utilizing the same banner! The more the better!

Vision
Dec 4, 2003
I'm in charge now! Men, we're going to the Olympics!
Banners got me here =)

I'll be looking to join up soon.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Can I connect to the server on my crappy hughesnet pipes? I can connect to regular EQ but not eqemu due to ping. This probably runs on eqemu doesn't it.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

SoD diverged from EQEmu a few years ago, so maybe it will work!

Also, Vision, be sure to hit someone in GS up for an invite so we can help you get started (/who all goon).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hmm always read about SoD while browsing the forums, gonna try to start it up this week, would monk/shaman be a good duo like it is in live, also when it comes to raiding would they be useful or are there already 20000000 monk/shaman combos around?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Monk / Shaman is a good duo, which is why there are approximately 2000000 monk/shaman duos running around the world. With that said, GS could still use a monk/shaman, or if you want to be a little more original, we could also use a monk/druid combo. Really, the most important thing is that you play what you enjoy.

If you want to get some feed back about race/class combinations, join us on irc at irc.shardsofdalaya.com #goonsquad, or just make a character in-game and get him invited to the guild so you can ask questions there.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

tmills posted:

Monk / Shaman is a good duo, which is why there are approximately 2000000 monk/shaman duos running around the world. With that said, GS could still use a monk/shaman, or if you want to be a little more original, we could also use a monk/druid combo. Really, the most important thing is that you play what you enjoy.

If you want to get some feed back about race/class combinations, join us on irc at irc.shardsofdalaya.com #goonsquad, or just make a character in-game and get him invited to the guild so you can ask questions there.

Created my 2 accounts, probably going monk/shm, I played a druid on live (although my brothers char was a shm so played them a lot too), I loved my druid to death but I want to try something different.

Characters are named Gegen and Galelor

MF_James fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 7, 2011

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Monk/Shm is a pretty common duo due to the ease of farming with them. I would say they are about average to get into a guild etc - as long as you are active and put yourself out there it is not too hard to make a niche for yourself on SoD.

Tanks are the only archtype that is harder to get into a guild. The nice part is once your in and equipped your pretty much set as far as guilds go for life. Guilds form around you as a good tank pretty much.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
I was wondering,
are rangers still the pariah of the game that they once were or have things changed in SoD ?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
It's funny because half the server has either a monk or a druid alt and we have practically none in Goon Squad. But really play whatever class(es) you'll still find enjoyable after many many days /played, they all rule.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I'm fairly sure about half the guild still has access to Llyver and I take that little bit about not having druid alts as an insult.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

btw Who should I talk to about getting an invite to GS?

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Rangers are generally well loved. They do less DPS than a rogue BUT their ability to do it at a distance saves tons of mana and heartache given melee special abilities and AE range. They also have very nice buffs in a raid situation.

I like to think the classes are pretty balanced. The only one who has a rough time is the warrior and that is mostly because of the time and effort it takes to get one where it needs to be to function in a high end setting.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

wtsaename, people have access to Cixx, but not Llyver (other than Torleran). I guess that everyone else that had access to Llyver isn't playing more, we've had a lot of churn in the six months.

MF_James, just do a /who all goon, and start asking people for an invite. If they can't do it themselves, they can find someone on who can.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Goon Squad has actually been raiding again with almost entirely new people. Pretty exciting to watch them work through the raid tiers.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

We are definitely progressing at a pretty decent rate. SoD has a really nice raiding system set up and its actually a lot of fun.

Although I also have been working on doing quests. You can get some really good items without raiding and some of the quest items are as good as some high tier raid items.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Stealthgerbil posted:

We are definitely progressing at a pretty decent rate. SoD has a really nice raiding system set up and its actually a lot of fun.

Although I also have been working on doing quests. You can get some really good items without raiding and some of the quest items are as good as some high tier raid items.

Do you guy have any need for tier 7 paladin"
Fomelo Ruach and let me know I would like to come back sometime.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
They are using a ringer tank. I bet they will take on a new tank so they can stop using mine >:(

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Tash posted:

They are using a ringer tank. I bet they will take on a new tank so they can stop using mine >:(

Who is the ringer tank now?

And who runs goonsquad?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Woldaff is the tank and it was Toblorone err Torleran / Ponolus I think before I stopped playing a few months ago.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Torleran is running it now. Doing a bang up job too. They are already to tier 6 with almost all new players.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe

Tash posted:

Torleran is running it now. Doing a bang up job too. They are already to tier 6 with almost all new players.

I will have to log in and see how its going, my new rig will make playing was easier.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...
Any chance of getting an uninstaller made for Shards? I have a couple different EQ mods I like to jump between. Looks cool, though.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
The best thing to do if your playing on multiple servers is to have different directories for each install.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...

Jotto posted:

The best thing to do if your playing on multiple servers is to have different directories for each install.

Forgive my ignorance, but do you mean installing the game multiple times?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Just do a base install once, then make a copy of that directory for each server that you'll be playing on. This way you won't have custom files overlapping between each other for your different servers.

the pizza police
Oct 8, 2009

justice delivered in 20 minutes or less
Banners brought me here, I'll be playing soon!

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Bantaras posted:

I was wondering,
are rangers still the pariah of the game that they once were or have things changed in SoD ?

Rangers are good since you have actual bow skills early and they don't suck poo poo so you aren't forced to pretend you're a warrior until you get your AAs. Unfortunately (for rangers) Endless Quiver is gone so you have to buy arrows. There's AAs to save you some arrows though at least. As much as Endless Quiver was an overwhelmingly lazy way to solve that issue I loved it. :(

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

The E-Wagon of the I-Future
There are one or more items that summon arrows, the problem is that the arrow damage matters significantly, so you usually want the better (and thus expensive) arrows. I imagine it's rather depressing to be shooting away your platinum.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yeah but that's just part of rangers really. I never got too far for my ranger but I'd hope that it isn't as bad as it was in vanilla EQ where I felt like I was getting rammed buying the 4 arrows I cycled through.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe

Bandwidth Wagon posted:

There are one or more items that summon arrows, the problem is that the arrow damage matters significantly, so you usually want the better (and thus expensive) arrows. I imagine it's rather depressing to be shooting away your platinum.

Yah this is the easiest one to get:
http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Arrows_Don%27t_Grow_on_Trees
You can group quest this pretty easy at 65

results in:
http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Arrowmaking_Rig

There's also a tier 5ish item from plane of nightmare
http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Quiver_of_the_Mind

But the mob is always down because he drops
http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/A_Small_Brittle_Stone
Which is a must have tank item, which I badly need :(

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'm planning on leveling a rogue, anyone know of someone who sells Mithril or twink items at not godawful prices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

KingFisher posted:

But the mob is always down because he drops
http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/A_Small_Brittle_Stone
Which is a must have tank item, which I badly need :(

Holy cow, I never knew about this when I raided a ton. I might have to camp that guy when I get back into SoD.

• Locked thread