Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

projecthalaxy posted:

Who are some people whose gimmick was wrapped up in absolute mastery of a single class of move?

I mean there is the Human Suplex Machine Taz from ECW, Roderick Strong, the Messiah of the Backbreaker from TNA, and there must be more.

The line is kind of blurry on both ends between one protected finisher being part of a gimmick or too broad to be a single class, but the below are arguable.

Master of the Small Package: Bryan Danielson
Aerial Emperor: Jack Evans
Muay Thai Master: CM Punk
Samoan Submission Machine: Samoa Joe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rey Mysterio: Flippy poo poo.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

jscolon2.0 posted:

The line is kind of blurry on both ends between one protected finisher being part of a gimmick or too broad to be a single class, but the below are arguable.

Master of the Small Package: Bryan Danielson
You mean "MISTER Small Package!"
:colbert:

Also, how is "Chopbashi" (not my term) not on this list?

P.S. Captain Charisma, who's the avatar? (Or rather, the artist.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chortles posted:

You mean "MISTER Small Package!"
:colbert:

Also, how is "Chopbashi" (not my term) not on this list?

P.S. Captain Charisma, who's the avatar? (Or rather, the artist.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_About_Fucking

I assume he got custom titled in some other forum for something.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I made it myself, actually

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lone Rogue posted:

Dean Malenko, Master of 1,000 Holds.
Chris Jericho, Master of 1,004 Holds.

Mike Quackenbush, Master of the Same 1000 Holds as Malenko

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dickeye posted:

Mike Quackenbush, Master of the Same 1000 Holds as Malenko

Jerry Lawler was known for his piledriver. Jake Roberts and Raven have been called masters of the DDT before.

And then there's Tommy Dreamer, Master of Getting Pinned.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
For a while at least, Chris Hero was all about the cravate

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

CombineThresher posted:

Jerry Lawler was known for his piledriver. Jake Roberts and Raven have been called masters of the DDT before.

And then there's Tommy Dreamer, Master of Getting Pinned.

The Innovator of Silence

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Vader and Sid: Masters of the Powerbomb

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Perigryn posted:

Brian Christopher: Grandmaster of the Sexay

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS
Big vague this one but...There's a Sting promo on the new best of Nitro DVD which I can't find on Youtube at the moment. Think he was talking about Hogan/NWO.

Anyway he comes down and starts delivering his promo the opposite way to the hard camera.

The announcers start by taking a piss a little bit i think Heenan calls him dumb or something then start saying "maybe stings turning his back on us" or it's symbolic in some way.

Did Sting just gently caress up and face the wrong way?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

Thanks, but I mean who actually drew the woman (I assume)? Based on that, I assume(d) Mitsuteru Yokoyama...

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

gibsonisacripple posted:

Did Sting just gently caress up and face the wrong way?

It's a definite possibility, as he did this exact thing a couple of months ago on PPV.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Hacksaw was master of the taped fist for a while in WCW.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Perigryn posted:

Sid was also the master and the ruler of the world. And Col. Rob Parker was the master of Harlem Heat.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

WeaselWeaz posted:

Sid was also the master and the ruler of the world. And Col. Rob Parker was the master of Harlem Heat.

Chad Collyer was the Metal Master

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

apsouthern posted:

Chad Collyer was the Metal Master

hahahahahahahahahahahah holy poo poo someone talking about chad collyer in two thousand eleven aaaaaaaahahahahahahahahah

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
He had great stats in EWR but I think I only ever used him a hand full of times. Usually thrown in a tag team.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahah holy poo poo someone talking about chad collyer in two thousand eleven aaaaaaaahahahahahahahahah

It's not my fault, it's that dastardly Chuck Taylor making the name stick in my head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF6mNMu_zeg

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

WeaselWeaz posted:

And Col. Rob Parker was the master of Harlem Heat.
Not on tv he wasn't :smug:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

It's a definite possibility, as he did this exact thing a couple of months ago on PPV.

It was right after Fall Brawl, and fake sting. And WCW had "Turned their back on Sting" by not showing faith in him. So he turned his back on WCW. :smith:

So the Nitro DVD is such a burial that they don't even explain the angles properly?

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS

LordPants posted:

It was right after Fall Brawl, and fake sting. And WCW had "Turned their back on Sting" by not showing faith in him. So he turned his back on WCW. :smith:

So the Nitro DVD is such a burial that they don't even explain the angles properly?

It's just random matches and angles with little narration. DDP pops up about 3 times per disc and says a few words about the next clip we're going to see.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I bought the DVD and expected to see some awesome matches, but by the end of the first disc I was so sick of seeing Hulk Hogan I just quit watching it.

Just like the old days.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Glad it recaptures the experience.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chortles posted:

Thanks, but I mean who actually drew the woman (I assume)? Based on that, I assume(d) Mitsuteru Yokoyama...

You're gonna have to ask Steve Albini

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I was doing some legal research earlier, and I got a good kick out this quote:

"The Fifth District found a child witness competent to testify regardless of his imaginative beliefs that the “Pokemon” cartoon characters were real and that TV wrestling was real."

Jason Funk
Dec 23, 2007

by XyloJW
Does/Has anyone played TheWrestlingGame? That browser based RPG that's more or less all numbers?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Jason Funk posted:

Does/Has anyone played TheWrestlingGame? That browser based RPG that's more or less all numbers?

we used to have a thread for it i think...but everyone got bored of it.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Who are some people whose gimmick was wrapped up in absolute mastery of a single class of move?

I mean there is the Human Suplex Machine Taz from ECW, Roderick Strong, the Messiah of the Backbreaker from TNA, and there must be more.

Forgot Shane Mathews: HEADSCISSOR!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

AKMoose posted:

I was doing some legal research earlier, and I got a good kick out this quote:

"The Fifth District found a child witness competent to testify regardless of his imaginative beliefs that the “Pokemon” cartoon characters were real and that TV wrestling was real."

I genuinely love the precision and nuance of legalese sometimes. They can't even choke back enough bile to call it 'Professional' wrestling. No, that poo poo's TV wrestling.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
As a fan of both Raven and CM Punk, what ROH dvd's would be best for their feud? Their website only has Night of the Grudges which has Raven & Whitmer vs Cabana and Punk, but that;s it.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

AkumaHokoru posted:

we used to have a thread for it i think...but everyone got bored of it.

After you have a terrorist wrestler blow up the entire arena with everyone inside, and two guys feud for a whole year by eating as much as possible until they are 2 stories high and destroying entire buildings with their match, there's not much left you can do.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I can't believe the discussion got this far of masters of respective moves without Chris Masters and his Masterlock challenge.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Havoc904 posted:

I can't believe the discussion got this far of masters of respective moves without Chris Masters and his Masterlock challenge.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000

George Kaplan posted:

thats actually an ankle lock, not a full nelson heh. still funny though.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

PoO3 posted:

thats actually an ankle lock, not a full nelson heh. still funny though.
That's actually an Octopussy stretch.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

I love it, it reminds me of my friend's room because he and his girlfriend found like 20 copies of that album at a yard sale and basically wallpapered his room with it, alternating the front and back. It was... interesting.

I also like it because hey, Big Black!

How broad are we willing to go on the topic of specialized wrestlers? Kurt Angle wasn't known as the master of suplexes or submissions or whatever, but his gimmick was essentially "Master of amateur wrestling" for a while.

dromal phrenia fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 20, 2011

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Jeff Jarrett, master of MMA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6S2ysN5izk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think Angle's gimmick was "master of x" so much as it was "Olympic gold medalist/hey guys he's good at wrestling but for real wink wink"