Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

LargeHadron posted:

I...think I'm just going to suck it up and read Understanding Exposure. It's in the mail and will be here tomorrow. I'll put any post-processing questions on hold for awhile. Thanks for the info, though.
This will definitely help. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but learn early that you want to make it good in camera and use post to make it great, not use post to save pictures you screwed up. Everyone screws stuff up when they're learning, and no matter how good you get, you'll still have throwaways (or claim you don't and end up in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Auditore posted:

Anyone got a quick link to an article for setting the white balance (white point?) correctly?

In camera? In software?
What camera? What software?

Either way the answer is probably going to involve a photo of a reference white balance card taken near your subject. For basic WB you could just carry a piece of sturdy paper around with you.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Haggins posted:

The old saying is if there aren't 3 copies of it, it doesn't exist. I think a solid solution would be to have 2 different back ups on external drives, keep one at home and one in an offsite location (whether that be your office or a friends house). Switch them out periodically, maybe every week or month. In addition to that, I'd recommend an online backup service such as Backblaze or Mozy or Carbonite. This protects on the road and if something major happens like a big earthquake, hurricane, or nuclear bomb.

What about just using something like Smugmug ONLY?

Or would you use that in addition to an external drive, etc?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What's this guy doing in his sweet car photos?

http://www.jon-olsson.com/

(Scroll down) I absolutely love it.

Particularly these: http://www.jon-olsson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/9-2.jpg
http://www.jon-olsson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/7-10.jpg
http://www.jon-olsson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/7-11.jpg
http://www.jon-olsson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/7-5.jpg

Also what aperture is he shooting? I've never seen anything like it.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Is there any way to remove that smokey look from the, uh, smoke machine?

Club shooting in this place is REALLY hard since all of the walls and ceiling are mirrored. I usually shoot at 1.4, but sometimes I just gotta use the flash, and when I do (with my Fong), it hits up the smoke more than anything else.

Any quick and easy ways to lessen the look?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

A5H posted:

What's this guy doing in his sweet car photos?

http://www.jon-olsson.com/

(Scroll down) I absolutely love it.

Particularly these: http://www.jon-olsson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/9-2.jpg
http://www.jon-olsson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/7-10.jpg
http://www.jon-olsson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/7-11.jpg
http://www.jon-olsson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/7-5.jpg

Also what aperture is he shooting? I've never seen anything like it.

exif data on the last one says it's a Nikon D3S, Fstop 9, 1/60 sec, ISO 200, 35mm focal length, subject distance 4,294,967,295 meters.

Wait what?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Ak Gara posted:

exif data on the last one says it's a Nikon D3S, Fstop 9, 1/60 sec, ISO 200, 35mm focal length, subject distance 4,294,967,295 meters.

Wait what?

I think that just means infinity focus...

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

dunkman posted:

I think that just means infinity focus...

Oooh, that would make sense, though why isn't everything blury?

dunkman posted:

Is there any way to remove that smokey look from the, uh, smoke machine?

Club shooting in this place is REALLY hard since all of the walls and ceiling are mirrored. I usually shoot at 1.4, but sometimes I just gotta use the flash, and when I do (with my Fong), it hits up the smoke more than anything else.

Any quick and easy ways to lessen the look?

Quick and easy? Increase contrast in the midrange. Increasing contrast over the whole image would clip both the blacks and whites.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I meant mostly colours and stuff though. Nothing looks natural. Unless he is just a god of light.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

A5H posted:

I meant mostly colours and stuff though. Nothing looks natural. Unless he is just a god of light.

Looks like a bit of split toning to me.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

AzCoug posted:

What about just using something like Smugmug ONLY?

Or would you use that in addition to an external drive, etc?

I personally don't use SM, but from my understanding they'll let you back up unlimited JPGs (and other compressed formats) included with the cost of service. It also looks like for an additional fee based on how much space you need, they'll let you upload RAWs or any other type of file format for back up.

The main problems that I see is that the backups are neither complete nor automatic. It seems to me that you have to choose exactly what you want backed up and to back it up, you have to upload it yourself. There is way too much room for error in this method. You need something that is automatic and backups up everything without you having to do anything.

I'm not saying SM is a bad thing, I just wouldn't consider it a primary backup. I think if you had a local external drive backup and used a cloud service like Blackblaze, Carbonite, etc..., you'd be in pretty good shape. If you switched out that local drive periodically, you wouldn't have much to worry about.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ak Gara posted:

Wait what?
That means subject distance is stored as a 32 bit unsigned integer and he focused to infinity.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

dunkman posted:

It looks like there is a mid-grey blob that covers the top half of the picture. I added a color layer with that sampled mid-grey set the blend mode to Subtract and then used a layer mask to ignore the lower half of the image where we don't need to make any changes. Curves layer on top to boost contrast.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

That means subject distance is stored as a 32 bit unsigned integer and he focused to infinity.

When you focus to infinity does that mean you get sharpness throughout the whole picture, front to back?

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Sort of- you definitely got the back part covered, but subjects close to the camera will be out of focus. How close ? Try out some numbers here: http://dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Cross_ posted:

It looks like there is a mid-grey blob that covers the top half of the picture. I added a color layer with that sampled mid-grey set the blend mode to Subtract and then used a layer mask to ignore the lower half of the image where we don't need to make any changes. Curves layer on top to boost contrast.

I did what I could, http://www.tfatf.com/album/e3983n

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

AzCoug posted:

When you focus to infinity does that mean you get sharpness throughout the whole picture, front to back?
At 35mm and f/9, everything from 15 feet to infinity will be in focus.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
I need help - I took a stab at this picture but I really suck at armpits I guess.

It looks kind of unnatural to me, can't quite pinpoint it. I tried adding texture and some burning but it looks off.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't really see anything unnartual about her armpit, but maybe I'm just not examining it closely enough. In fact I'm more thrown off by how that particular posing of her arm makes her look elbow look kind of like a stump :(

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
I guess maybe I've been working on/looking at that part of the image too long.

I didn't even "see" the stump issue, I was so fixated on that pit. How would you do that pose to eliminate that? I can't really think of anything without changing the angle of the shot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oprah Haza posted:

I guess maybe I've been working on/looking at that part of the image too long.

I didn't even "see" the stump issue, I was so fixated on that pit. How would you do that pose to eliminate that? I can't really think of anything without changing the angle of the shot.

You can't, really. Probably just don't shoot it directly on next time. I mean I wouldn't ditch the photo because of me or anything, maybe I'm one out of 1000 people who will see it. It's a good photo, just the first thing that popped into my head for some reason was that elbow.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Martytoof posted:

You can't, really. Probably just don't shoot it directly on next time. I mean I wouldn't ditch the photo because of me or anything, maybe I'm one out of 1000 people who will see it. It's a good photo, just the first thing that popped into my head for some reason was that elbow.

For what it's worth, it's the first thing I saw too. I tend to miss really obvious poo poo sometimes, so I don't know, but there isn't anything to do in order to fix that.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
It's the brightest point of the image, which is why we're drawn to it. Try burning it back and dodging her face?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

XTimmy posted:

It's the brightest point of the image, which is why we're drawn to it. Try burning it back and dodging her face?

Yeah, I realized that this morning as I was looking at the image. I'll try evening out the exposure when I get home.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I'm cheap, and I want to pick up Lightroom. There's this saveintheusa.com site that pops up on PriceWatch that has it for 177-188 for digital and boxed versions, respectively, and they ship overseas too(important for me). Has anybody used this site before? They look half skeezy, but their whopping 3 resellerratings reviews seem okaaaaaay. (I should add that it goes for about $400ish retail here, which is retarded)

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Is this a common thing? You're like the third goon I've seen say they store a backup he'd at a friends house.
Off site backup should be part of anyone's plan. Anyone who doesn't plan on weeping cold dark tears the day they lose a couple thousand images to something as simple as burglary.

spf3million posted:

I think people do it in case of a fire/tornado/etc. I personally don't have an apartment (100% travel job) so I crash with friends when I'm in the US and leave stuff there.
Theft is really the bigger problem. In the case the of hard drives, power issues (the kind that burn up your electronics, say when your PSU goes up in flames) can be annoying too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
DxO is currently 30% off if anyone is interested.

https://shop.dxo.com/login.php?CountryShow=International

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

dissss posted:

DxO is currently 30% off if anyone is interested.

https://shop.dxo.com/login.php?CountryShow=International

Nice. I've been meaning to pick this up for a while.

Purchased.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Anyone who doesn't plan on weeping cold dark tears the day they lose a couple thousand images to something as simple as burglary.

Speaking of which, what do people do when they are on vacation? My wife and I are going to take our honeymoon to the Dominican Republic in November and I obviously want to take my camera/camera bag, but I've heard some stories of things going missing from rooms. All your poo poo wont fit in the room safe and you may not want to lug everything around with you all day every day. So then what? Get creative and stash it somewhere in the room?

There obviously aren't a lot of options or ways around it, I suppose you run that risk whenever and where ever you take your grear, but I'd hate to have it jacked on my first trip!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AzCoug posted:

Speaking of which, what do people do when they are on vacation?
All I put in the safe is data cards and documentation. The rest is insured so I give no fucks.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
In Lightroom, is there an easy way to reset all adjustment settings except one (e.g., crop)? Or have it ignore something like the crop when doing 'Paste Settings From Previous'?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

For the latter you can use the "Synchronize..." button instead and just uncheck crop.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I hate to even ask, but what do you guys use to make easy watermarks. I need to get my name onto a bunch of poo poo in the coming weeks.

edit: I can't get LR Mogrify 2 to work for the life of me.

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 15, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I think most of us in here use Lightroom or some other major post-processing suite.

I think Irfanview can do it automatically by batch if you need something quick and really dirty.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

AzCoug posted:

Speaking of which, what do people do when they are on vacation? My wife and I are going to take our honeymoon to the Dominican Republic in November and I obviously want to take my camera/camera bag, but I've heard some stories of things going missing from rooms. All your poo poo wont fit in the room safe and you may not want to lug everything around with you all day every day. So then what? Get creative and stash it somewhere in the room?

There obviously aren't a lot of options or ways around it, I suppose you run that risk whenever and where ever you take your grear, but I'd hate to have it jacked on my first trip!
I've lived in a hotel every night for the last 18 months and have never had anything stolen. I leave my poo poo lying out all over the place. Your mileage may vary though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just a heads up guys, onOne software Standard Edition Phototools 2.5 is free right now if you are an Mpix member.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing/pt25sefree/?partner=mpix&utm_campaign=PT25SEFree_prtnr&utm_medium=banner&utm_source=mpix

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Just a heads up guys, onOne software Standard Edition Phototools 2.5 is free right now if you are an Mpix member.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing/pt25sefree/?partner=mpix&utm_campaign=PT25SEFree_prtnr&utm_medium=banner&utm_source=mpix

I don't think I'm a member of Mpix but it worked for me. All I did was fill out of the form and I got an email with the serial number and download link. Thanks!

Edit: made a thread in coupons

Haggins fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 15, 2011

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
After I install, all I have are the batch operations in Photoshop, not the program proper. Am I doing something wrong?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What is the Standard Edition lacking? Actually I can't find any mention of two separate editions on their site but maybe I'm just not looking carefully. I sure as gently caress signed up for it though, even if I never end up using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Kunzelman posted:

After I install, all I have are the batch operations in Photoshop, not the program proper. Am I doing something wrong?

I made it work. I don't understand what the program is other than a series of usage-intensive presets. Still cool, though!

• Locked thread