Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Golbez - I know this was waay but in November, but how did this end up turning out for you? Almost the exact situation happened to me this morning and I'm slightly worried about getting a ticket (and according to Ohio laws, suspension is possible).

Nothing happened at all. Though I was annoyed when I saw another car just last week pass the bus while its lights were flashing and the driver didn't even honk at him. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
That's good to hear and also reassuring for me. Though I guess its most likely up to the bus driver's discretion. I'd be pretty angry if something happened because the driver pulled the stop sign and honked angrily after I was already halfway past the bus.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Why won't you guys please think of the children? :negative:

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I used to dispatch for a limo company, and the drivers told me the only vehicles you should never, EVER mess with are ambulances and school buses.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dudebro posted:

Why won't you guys please think of the children? :negative:

Joking aside, if you folks passed a school bus with flashing lights and an extended stop sign, then you really shouldn't get angry about being fined for it (though I think you're justified in finding it relieving to find out that you don't have to pay anything).

Considering the volume of people that get away with it, I think it's an offense that isn't taken as seriously as it should be. I remember when I was in high school there was a controversy about a local man that passed the elementary school bus while it was unloading children. Everyone thought it was stupid to get into a big fuss about it, but they wouldn't be saying that if he ran over a 6-year old :psyduck:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Mak0rz posted:

Joking aside, if you folks passed a school bus with flashing lights and an extended stop sign, then you really shouldn't get angry about being fined for it (though I think you're justified in finding it relieving to find out that you don't have to pay anything).

Considering the volume of people that get away with it, I think it's an offense that isn't taken as seriously as it should be. I remember when I was in high school there was a controversy about a local man that passed the elementary school bus while it was unloading children. Everyone thought it was stupid to get into a big fuss about it, but they wouldn't be saying that if he ran over a 6-year old :psyduck:

I passed when the lights were flashing, but before the sign had popped out; I plead ignorance to not reading the back of the bus where it says "don't pass when lights are flashing". I wasn't going to get angry, I just asked here asking what I should expect and if I should go 'turn myself in'. What annoyed me was when I saw the exact same thing happen a few days ago but the bus driver didn't angrily honk at the guy, like he did me that once.

I don't think anyone here has said we'd be angry about a fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The stop sign thing was added like 10 years ago because no one would ever stop for the flashing lights. Once those lights fire up, you need to stop. The sign is just the obvious idiot reminder. I remember when I first started driving there were no little stop signs on the side.

Jesus, I feel old now.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Golbez posted:

I don't think anyone here has said we'd be angry about a fine.

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that. I was commenting mostly on the parts in your and Colon's posts that mention the fact that some people just get away with it and bus drivers' discretion. :)

EDIT: I see it now, I said "you folks" in my first sentence. Sorry about that, it wasn't meant to be directed at anyone in particular.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
I used to see it all the time, too, along with people not moving over for ambulances or other emergency vehicles. This was in Cleveland, land of the worst drivers ever... haven't seen it since moving to Chicago. Even taxi drivers have the sense to steer clear of kids and sirens.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
Why do skinheads/white pride groups have a affinity towards suspenders. Some historical or figurative significance?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Ridonkulous posted:

Why do skinheads/white pride groups have a affinity towards suspenders. Some historical or figurative significance?

To keep their pants up.

I'm pretty sure it was just a fashion thing, that started long before the British skinheads were even racist. Skinheads were just a group, like punks, that listened to ska and that kind of music.
I used to have a friend that was an old school British skinhead. He was very brown.
He said that at one point you could tell where groups of skinheads were from by the color of their suspenders. Later, it was mostly just interpreted that if you were a racist skinhead, your suspenders were red.

edit: If you want more info, try the word "braces" instead of suspenders when googling. There's a really good movie about a group of skinheads at about the time period when the white supremacists were infiltrating the skinheads called "This is England".

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
There was at least one earlier generation of skinheads well before the '70s 2tone crowd. Iirc they were groups of disillusioned discharged army men, a bit like the MCs in the States. I remember the OI laddery taking over in the late '80s. They were the ones who ere really into the colourcoded Docs and braces as far as I know. Also, skaheads had the oldfashioned narrow white braces most of the time. The pakibashers preferred flashy wide suzpendurz.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Also suspenders and "britches" are common in the deep south.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Does anyone know where I could find this little blinker lens:

Its for a 2011 Volvo XC60 and its the passenger side mirror. I am searching around and I can't find crap.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
For something like that you are going to have to go through the dealer for a car that new unless you happen on a 1:100000 classified ad somewhere.

(bring some lube :( )

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

For something like that you are going to have to go through the dealer for a car that new unless you happen on a 1:100000 classified ad somewhere.

(bring some lube :( )

I was hoping to find like an online parts company or something. Don't mind going to the dealer, just ultra lazy.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Bojanglesworth posted:

I was hoping to find like an online parts company or something. Don't mind going to the dealer, just ultra lazy.

Yea, rockauto (my favorite), napa , etc I did a cursory search but auto parts stores don't stock those type of things because they're never bought on new cars usually in warranty and insured.

They never sell them online because they don't want to cut into the local dealerships profit (I think) hence the comment about the lube.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Mak0rz posted:

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that. I was commenting mostly on the parts in your and Colon's posts that mention the fact that some people just get away with it and bus drivers' discretion. :)

EDIT: I see it now, I said "you folks" in my first sentence. Sorry about that, it wasn't meant to be directed at anyone in particular.

Yeah, I'm not saying that I don't deserve a ticket or that the law is enforced too heavily. I admit I sort of screwed up and should have erred on the side of caution and stopped. It was 8am and I was zoned out and saw the car in front of me pass the bus while the lights were flashing, so I sort of just followed their lead. In retrospect I feel stupid for doing it. As soon as the bus driver pulled the stop sign and honked, I slammed on my breaks and stopped next to the bus for about 20 seconds though, so hopefully that was an indication to the driver that I was just being stupid and not some rear end in a top hat trying to get somewhere on time.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

Bojanglesworth posted:

Does anyone know where I could find this little blinker lens:

Its for a 2011 Volvo XC60 and its the passenger side mirror. I am searching around and I can't find crap.

Ebay? Here's a whole mirror, but you can usually find all the little fiddly parts if you search enough.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Righ...s#ht_1886wt_954

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Heh, wow. Leave it to ebay, don't know why I never check there anymore. There's the 1:10000 ;)

That's a very low price too. My factory mirror is 390$.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

My mom was rooting around the other day in my grandma's attic, and found a human skull from my grandpa's old medical practice (he died over 30 years ago). It was obviously used for research or education since it has numbers written in pencil all over it and it's filled with concrete. Anyway, the skull is not in great condition. It's missing its jaw and teeth, so none of the doctor or dentist friends of my parents are willing to take it. What's the best legal and preferably free way to get rid of it? It seems like it would be most respectful to just bury it, but I can't imagine that's legal or a good idea.

P.S. I swear I'm not a murderer

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Florida Betty posted:

My mom was rooting around the other day in my grandma's attic, and found a human skull from my grandpa's old medical practice (he died over 30 years ago). It was obviously used for research or education since it has numbers written in pencil all over it and it's filled with concrete. Anyway, the skull is not in great condition. It's missing its jaw and teeth, so none of the doctor or dentist friends of my parents are willing to take it. What's the best legal and preferably free way to get rid of it? It seems like it would be most respectful to just bury it, but I can't imagine that's legal or a good idea.

Send it to me. I would love to have that.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Florida Betty posted:

Why would you ever get rid of such a gem? Put it in your coat closet and act like you forgot it was in there and quickly shut the door when company comes over, or kind of have it 1/2 hidden in the back corner under a sheet in a closet or cabinet people use.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Wow I thought I was answering a question on the last page. Nevermind.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Florida Betty posted:

I will pay you US$20 for your skull. I mean the concrete one not the one you're using to hold your brain. Plus reasonable shipping to Boston (say, up to $30 more.). Assuming it's authentic.

PM me, or username at gmail. I will treat it respectfully and use it for educational purposes.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

randyest posted:

I will pay you US$20 for your skull. I mean the concrete one not the one you're using to hold your brain. Assuming it's authentic.

PM me, or username at gmail. I will treat it respectfully and use it for educational purposes.

I will pay you US$20 for your skull. I mean the one you're using to hold your brain concrete one not the concrete one. Assuming it's authentic.

I will treat it disrespectfully and use it for childish and frivolous purposes.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Hey guys what is the best way to wipe all data off a hard drive (i.e. so its self to sell on eBay)?

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
Looking for the name of a TV show from the 90s

Here in Dallas it was on Saturday mornings, probably on ABC but could've been on NBC or CBS. It was a reality-type show where people would write in say they had a crush on so-and-so and the hosts would go to their school (usually high school) and confront the crush and see if they wanted to go out with the person who had a crush on them. I think the title was just one word. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It was the kind of thing that seemed like it should've been on MTV or something.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rockybar posted:

Hey guys what is the best way to wipe all data off a hard drive (i.e. so its self to sell on eBay)?

DBAN

http://www.dban.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBAN

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

randyest posted:

I will pay you US$20 for your skull. I mean the concrete one not the one you're using to hold your brain. Plus reasonable shipping to Boston (say, up to $30 more.). Assuming it's authentic.

Get in line, bro.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Florida Betty posted:

Keep it. I have an idea that will provide you with much amusement.

1) Find a lockable suitcase
2) Write letter detailing your previous time as an archaeologist/adventurer. Explain how you found and smuggled a gold and jewel encrusted idol from South America and go on to explain that you discovered your assistant had double-crossed you and planned to sell the idol and keep the countless millions. The skull in the box belongs to said assistant. Express your remorse. Give incredibly vague details or clues leading to where you buried the idol.
3)See if you can get the numbers off the skull. Place the letter and skull in the suitcase and lock it.
4) Get married and have children of your own. Caution them over the years not to open the suitcase. Always insist on taking it with you when you move.
5)Write your will. Enclose either the key or the combination to the suitcase
6)Laugh from heaven.

LizzieBorden fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 17, 2011

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JonBent0000 posted:

Keep it. I have an idea that will provide you with much amusement.

1) Find a lockable suitcase
2) Write letter detailing your previous time as an archaeologist/adventurer. Explain how you found and smuggled a gold and jewel encrusted idol from South America and go on to explain that you discovered your assistant had double-crossed you an planned to sell the idol and keep the countless millions. The skull in the box belongs to said assistant. Express your remorse. Give incredibly vague details or clues leading to where you buried the idol.
3)See if you can get the numbers of the skull. Place the letter and skull in the suitcase and lock it.
4) Get married and have children of your own. Caution them over the years not to open the suitcase. Always insist on taking it with you when you move.
5)Write your will. Enclose either the key or the combination to the suitcase
6)Laugh from heaven.

This is perfect.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bojanglesworth posted:

Get in line, bro.
Where's the line brah? As far as I can see I'm the first to make an offer, so ...

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
What's wrong with Neil Patrick Harris' face in this commercial? Kinda looks like his eyes are lagging behind or something. Editing gone wrong, or?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TusJ8HSLaUs&t=19s

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
It's an issue with the encoding of the spot. mpeg-4 uses some crazy math to save space that does weird things when you do quick camera movements. The computer doing the encoding was trying to save space in the video, and in doing so hosed it up a bit.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
What is this bug? I know the pictures are crappy, I took a ton trying to get my camera to focus but not much luck. He also wouldn't stop moving around in the bowl I put him in for me to get a clear shot. Found it on my pillow which is next to a (closed) window. Doesn't look round and flat like a bed bug and I wasn't able to find any more, but was just reading the bed bug thread and now I'm freaked out.

Just some random beetle? He's really small, maybe half a centimeter long.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

What's the longest lasting gum that comes in a variety of mint and fruit flavors?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
What is up with microwaves continuing to run once their timer has run out? Are they still 'microwaving', or is it only the fan running for 2-3 seconds to cool components down for a moment or something?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Pweller posted:

What is up with microwaves continuing to run once their timer has run out? Are they still 'microwaving', or is it only the fan running for 2-3 seconds to cool components down for a moment or something?

Well Paul, mine have never done that and if they had I'd have left the building in a hurry. Sure it's in order? Sure it even has a fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Pweller posted:

Ours has done that for a long time, but the amount of time it continues to go after 0 has gotten longer. I think it's a symptom that the machine is dying, myself. I just haven't gotten around to buying a new one, yet.