Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
Have any good mods with interesting stories/stuff come out? Something like Lost Spires or Midas Magic from Oblivion, only with fallout stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Capn Beeb posted:

There's a unique 12.7? Also drat, I'm really liking that suppressor texture.

No he was probably just talking about the Scout Rifle and the All American.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Globofglob posted:

Have any good mods with interesting stories/stuff come out? Something like Lost Spires or Midas Magic from Oblivion, only with fallout stuff.

New Vegas Bounties and Tales from the Burning Sands are the two really quality quest mods, everything else simply lacks the polish of those two. Quest mods take a lot of time and effort so good ones are released only ever so rarely.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Arenovalis posted:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42390

12.7mm SMG, sniper rifle and Marksman Carbine left. Then a few tweaks to existing textures to make the unique versions :3
Fantastic work as always. The silencer texture is sick.

And I really hope a La Longue Carabine retexture is in the short list of things to come :ohdear:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Arenovalis posted:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42390

12.7mm SMG, sniper rifle and Marksman Carbine left. Then a few tweaks to existing textures to make the unique versions :3

Excellent work :) Just a suggestion for All American, a beat up Tan-black pattern like the image below would look way better than the weird half-digital, half-vietnam era woodlands camo that it has right now.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Omnicarus posted:

Excellent work :) Just a suggestion for All American, a beat up Tan-black pattern like the image below would look way better than the weird half-digital, half-vietnam era woodlands camo that it has right now.

I second this. It's very strange to tote around a woodland camo rifle in a desert. Tan and black would be much better, even as an optional install.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Hey, Arenovalis, just a quick question.

Are you only retexturing conventional weapons, or is there a possibility that we might see new hotness for energy weapons and explosives? The Plasma Defender would be so much nicer without the cartoony flat textures it has right now. The drat thing looks like it's made from Play-Doh.

Also supporting the idea of a desert camo All-American.

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

Moldy Meatball posted:

The Plasma Defender would be so much nicer without the cartoony flat textures it has right now. The drat thing looks like it's made from Play-Doh.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vlffot0mmew2lmu

I pulled a retexture of the defender from the TAR-3 mod and made it into a replacer that you can drop into your data folder if you so choose. Try it out.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

BrainGlitch posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vlffot0mmew2lmu

I pulled a retexture of the defender from the TAR-3 mod and made it into a replacer that you can drop into your data folder if you so choose. Try it out.

Unfortunately I'm using WMX, so without a compatibility patch that would gently caress up the textures on the gun. Thanks anyway :)

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

SheepNameKiller posted:

New Vegas Bounties and Tales from the Burning Sands are the two really quality quest mods, everything else simply lacks the polish of those two. Quest mods take a lot of time and effort so good ones are released only ever so rarely.

New Vegas Bounties has a lot of people, myself included, claiming it's really crash prone (it is). If you try this one, at least make a backup save before you install the mod.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I've never had a problem with NVB, if it's crashing you should make sure that you're not running masterupdate on it and also check for conflicts. Very often a mod is blamed for something when it's actually the conflict between it and another mod that is causing the issue.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I grabbed F:NV from the D2D sale yesterday and activated it on steam, but i can't seem to find the geck tool. I'm sure someone in the steam thread mentioned that it should be under "tools" in your library, but i can't see it there.

Should it have shown up there or is it something i have to manually grab from one of the sites listed in the OP?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
There are download and update links here, the first Google hit for "geck".

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Male Man posted:

There are download and update links here, the first Google hit for "geck".

Yeah, that's one of the pages I found, i just wasn't sure if i should have had something already listed in my steam library by deafult after activating the game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kin posted:

Yeah, that's one of the pages I found, i just wasn't sure if i should have had something already listed in my steam library by deafult after activating the game.

Just make sure you get GECK for New Vegas, not for FO3. I'd give you a link directly to the download, but an age-verification prevents me from doing that. The site is somewhat frustrating to navigate, however, especially since you can keep downloading the wrong file and wondering why it won't work.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
That is some great texture work, Arenovalis. Paypaling five bucks to you for doing things that the dev should have done already. Keep up the good work.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ok, that link i was given a few posts back seems to be all about the fallout 3 geck and not the NV one.

If i'm just interested in running/installing mods and not creating them, can i just install the FOMM and use that to install all the other mods i want?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Kin posted:

Ok, that link i was given a few posts back seems to be all about the fallout 3 geck and not the NV one.

If i'm just interested in running/installing mods and not creating them, can i just install the FOMM and use that to install all the other mods i want?

The wiki is indifferent to FO3 and FNV (in other words it's both).

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/geck.html

There is the New Vegas GECK.

Also, yes. The GECK is only useful for creating mods if you don't plan on doing that don't bother installing it. FOMM is necessary for managing and installing mods (or Wrye Flash NV is an alternative and better, but it's much more in-depth).

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 16, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Chief Savage Man posted:

That is some great texture work, Arenovalis. Paypaling five bucks to you for doing things that the dev should have done already. Keep up the good work.

Arenovalis isn't limited by the 360 like dev team were. Let's not be mean here; the artists Obsidian are quite talented too.

Gonbon
Feb 15, 2004
sdf

Mr. Crow posted:

The wiki is indifferent to FO3 and FNV (in other words it's both).

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/geck.html

There is the New Vegas GECK.

That's the wrong link, it's for the 1.1 version of the NV GECK.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/geck.php is the link for the 1.3 version of the GECK. This was really annoying the first time I ran into it, since I think the GECK wiki or some other page links to the first one, and they look nearly identical so if you end up going to the correct page you might dismiss it as the same old version.

The OP links to the old version, maybe that's where I ran into it.

Gonbon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 16, 2011

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Naky posted:

Arenovalis isn't limited by the 360 like dev team were. Let's not be mean here; the artists Obsidian are quite talented too.

I always forget that the 360's hardware is so limited compared to PC. Still though, great work.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
Most of my textures use the same size/amount of maps, though, so it's not really about that :P
Some things I could actually even further optimize with no/little visual impact, but that's a bit outside the scope of my project.

Dunno how much time they spent on each weapon, but at this point my workflow is also at the point where I can crank out a texture in 2-3 hours (not including normal maps/remapping, but I wouldn't have to spend that much time on them if they were my models to begin with)

ps. released the 12.7mm SMG, it's horribly rushed (maybe 4-5 hours for everything), but the actual design is horribly ugly, so I don't wanna spend all my time trying that thing look pretty.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42408

ps. :words:

pps. Only two completely new textures left (Marksman & sniper) and some uniques.

Arenovalis fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 16, 2011

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Arenovalis posted:

Most of my textures use the same size/amount of maps, though, so it's not really about that :P

Part of why I love your retextures, you don't use some massive 4096x4096 texture map to make them look awesome.

That and they look beat up and used and fit the setting, not some pristine texture imported from CoD or something.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Maybe so but also consider that Obsidian shared a lot of the art assets from Bethesda from FO3. Their artists need to keep a common visual look or it looks silly. I like your retextures but they are definitely crisper than the rest of the textures in the game and its noticeable.

My point is that they're a professional game development company with a lot of success behind them with a big art department that is no doubt as proud and critical of their work as any other artist so to say they didn't do it just cuz they couldn't or didn't want to while ignoring time constraints or platform bottlenecks is a bit ignorant and just a tad arrogant as well.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

That actually irks me about texture comments as well, the retextures are all better than the original textures for sure but it's kind of ungrateful to criticize the artist of the original work just because you've found a better replacement.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SheepNameKiller posted:

That actually irks me about texture comments as well, the retextures are all better than the original textures for sure but it's kind of ungrateful to criticize the artist of the original work just because you've found a better replacement.

People have to keep in mind that one or maybe two guys were doing weapon textures for a few weeks at the most. Development teams have other fish to fry and should work on fixing bugs on quest X or polishing off clipping errors on armor Y. Just because each weapon in the game doesn't look near photo-realistic doesn't mean it's a bad design.

With that said the 12.7mm SMG is one ugly son of a bitch.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a way I can check the current versions of all my mods? I haven't played since before Blood Money or whatever came out, the first dlc.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a way I can check the current versions of all my mods? I haven't played since before Blood Money or whatever came out, the first dlc.

Unless you installed .fomod files via Fallout Mod Manager, nope. Gotta check manually.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I recently got Dead Money and Honest Hearts.

quote:

FalloutNV.esm
rePopulated Wasteland.esm
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
The.Armory.esm
HonestHearts.esm
DeadMoney.esm
Portable Tent.esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
Purge Cell Buffers.esp
Lucky 38 Suite Expansion.esp
Wasteland Defense.esp
UHNV.esp
FreeplayafterMQNVv1_6.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
NewVegasBountiesII.esp
Better Binoculars High.esp
FO3WeaponsRestoration.esp
JRougeRangerCoats4Loot.esp
Tailor Maid - NV.esp
TGsArmorCollectionVegas.esp
SunnyCompanion.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
Nevada Skies.esp
NAPA-NV 0.1.esp
LegendaryHunter.esp
The.Armory.Crysis.Pack.esp
The.Armory.Leveled.List.esp
UsableCigarettes.esp

Total active plugins: 28
Total plugins: 31

Are there any mods I need to get compatibility patches for or any recommended mods for the DLC?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Chief Savage Man posted:

I recently got Dead Money and Honest Hearts.

Are there any mods I need to get compatibility patches for or any recommended mods for the DLC?

Nevada Skies has a compatibility patch for Honest Hearts.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Terpfen posted:

Nevada Skies has a compatibility patch for Honest Hearts.

Cool, thanks.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Boogoose posted:

It's not so much the issue of the condition of weapons, but the whole style of them. Fallout has a divergent timeline and if someone with Aspergers wants to check the Fallout Bible for the exact date that the Fallout universe seperates from ours then that'll support my statement. For me, the whole mood of Fallout is that of a world that never grew out of the mentality of the '50s, but technology advanced all the same. Porting real life weapons into the game, and let me make this clear that it is far beyond my ability and in no way am I belittling it apart from just now, just doesn't seem to fit the theme. I'd rather see new armour and weapons that follow that aesthetic. Instead of laser sights and kevlar, there should be drum magazines and flak jackets... but futuristic!

I don't have Aspergers, but the Fallout timeline diverged well before 1969, because a video in one of the earlier ones (I think the first one) showed the 13 star flag being planted on the Moon. I'm not sure when the USA was divided into the 13 districts or how far before then the point of divergence was, though.

I think a lot of the WWI and WWII style weaponry is supposed to be available because in the Fallout timeline, sometime in the 1990s a lot of old weaponry was gathered up and stored in military stockpiles. I think there was a mostly disarmed population for a few decades before tensions with China led to a large re-arming movement and most of the sci-fi weaponry in the game being created. The old guns were looted after the bombs dropped and have remained prevalent because their more primitive designs made them easier to maintain and feed. I also think that at least one of the designers has a serious hard-on for John Browning.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

fennesz posted:

With that said the 12.7mm SMG is one ugly son of a bitch.

What is that big metal piece in the middle? What could possibly be in there? Crunchy snacks?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Male Man posted:

What is that big metal piece in the middle? What could possibly be in there? Crunchy snacks?

:aaa:

I never thought about that. What is in there? Wheels and cogs and springs? Probably a thirteen pound brick of lead.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I never thought about that. What is in there? Wheels and cogs and springs? Probably a thirteen pound brick of lead.

Considering 12.7mm is effectively .50 (I never remember if it is .50 or more like the difference between 5.56 and .223), yeah youd need a nice counterweight considering youre turning an M2 into a submachine gun.

Also the Fallout universe and our universe split around 1948. The Soviet Union was never a super power and we kept going at full :stare: speed while China took the Russians place. Add in some fundamental :stare: changes to physics and some magically disappearing crude oil, everything else turned out the same. Vietnam still happened, Desert Shield/Storm still happened, etc etc. Ive literally spent years looking into this poo poo :smith:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Evoq posted:

Considering 12.7mm is effectively .50 (I never remember if it is .50 or more like the difference between 5.56 and .223), yeah youd need a nice counterweight considering youre turning an M2 into a submachine gun.

It'd be .50 AE not .50 BMG.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's where they hide the shame.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, 12.7mm is .50 cal, or 1/2 an inch in diameter. But there are several rounds in that caliber, and a humongous difference between each. The ones you'd fire out of an SMG would be much shorter than those fired out of something like an M2 or an "anti-materiel" rifle.

Observe :science:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'd guess one fuckoff big bolt carrier system, and whatever action it uses. I've never used the thing since it was so god drat fugly.

Also, yay Arenovalis!

:(

:toot:

:buddy:

There's a varmint rifle messing up the place but I'm a nerd and must fill the wall in the underground hideout's armory but yaaaay :buddy:

E:

Also for .50 = 12.7mm, keep in mind .50BMG is 12.7x99, and .50AE is something like uhh 12.7x33 if I recall. And the more I look at that rendering of the 12.7mm SMG the more it confuses the hell out of me. Top loading horizontal feed weapons are just bizarro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I always thought the brush gun texture was one of the better vanilla weapon textures in the game. Not to say the retexture isn't great, because it is, but I never thought it looked terrible or anything. I actually quite like the color and style of the wood grain on the original, but I don't use the gun much because I don't really care for the style of peep sight on it. Trail carbine's where's it at, maaaan.