Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Rojkir posted:

Yup, as I understand even the turtles that give the island it's name won't come to shore anymore because the beaches are to full now. I've also met quite some marine biologists when I was there, they weren't happy :'(

I was under the impression that it was named Turtle Island because of how it looked, not because there were lots of turtles there.

There's still plenty around in the ocean - diving with them isn't uncommon, but I guess they do prefer to come to shore in quieter places.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
"Where are the turtles?"

"They no come already because many peepun."

"Oh how sad"

:snicker:

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

caberham posted:

Also, seeing the ladyboy reminds me of Ringo R taking me to different sketchy areas to talk to katooeys!

Haha, at least I told you they were guys. Otherwise you too would end up with semen in your anus.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Anyone know how the Discovery Airpass works for Bangkok Airways? Where do you actually purchase it and do you have to do everything in advance?

I want to bounce into, around and out of Laos and it seems to be a really good bargain if you are planning to do that.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ringo R posted:

Haha, at least I told you they were guys. Otherwise you too would end up with semen in your anus.

Otherwise?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Thailand question:

Korea has https://www.gmarket.co.kr
China has https://www.taobao.com

I'm going to be living in Thailand next year, and I demand Earl Grey. Little town X can be pretty hit or miss when it comes to Western Amnemities, but the Internet has been pretty good to me in two countries thus far.

Where do you get tea in Thailand?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

DreadLlama posted:

Thailand question:

I'm going to be living in Thailand next year, and I demand Earl Grey. Little town X can be pretty hit or miss when it comes to Western Amnemities, but the Internet has been pretty good to me in two countries thus far.

http://www.foodland.co.th/contactus.htm

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

DreadLlama posted:

Thailand question:

7-Eleven

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Well, after months of work, I am finally about to move to Ho Cho Minh City. I'll be coordinating a small team for a videogame company. Leaving next week, I'm looking forward to arriving right in the rain season peak!

chockomonkey
Oct 14, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Must do SE Asia, IMO:

-Angkor Wat
-Bangkok (but that's a given)
-Hilltribe trek in NW Thailand (very preferably out of Mae Hong Son)
-An island or two, possibly with SCUBA diving depending mostly on if you're on a shoestring budget or not

There's lots of other great stuff to see, but missing out on any of these on a longer (month plus) trip is weird.

how do the hill tribes in northern thailand differ from those in Laos? I never went on an offical 'hill tribe trek' or anything, but coming into Laos from Dien Bien Phu in Vietnam and going as north as Phongsali, i saw LOTS of hill tribes... also visited the touristy hill tribes in Sapa (lol) and Bac Ha... or would you say they're pretty similar?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh sorry I mostly meant out of Mae Hong Son as opposed to out of Chiang Mai, doing them in Laos or anywhere else where they don't see 50 tourists a week is fine too.

Many of the the NW Thailand hilltribe people are refugees from recent or semi-recent government violence in Burma which gives a bit of extra flavor, but something similar is probably true for most of those people. Thailand is also putting at least some effort now into getting the tribes access to mainstream Thai society, which efforts include more aggressive census type operations, ongoing wrangling with citizenship documentation issues, and running a large low cost boarding school (which has only been around for five or so years and is the first of it's kind) which is attended by a mixture of every hilltribe up there. IMO it's always a little more interesting to be somewhere at a time of change.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 9, 2011

chockomonkey
Oct 14, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh sorry I mostly meant out of Mae Hong Son as opposed to out of Chiang Mai, doing them in Laos our anywhere else where they don't see 50 tourists a week is fine too.

yea was just curious if i missed out on something especially unique to NE Thailand hill tribes.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You don't need to go on a Hill Tribe Trek, they'll come to you selling wooden frogs on Khao San Rd.!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
brrrrip brrrrip brrrrip

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I've seriously been considering making a few farang t-shirts with things written in Thai on them, like "I Hate Wooden Frogs" with a lithograph of a wooden frog and the big red circle with a bar across it on the back.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

I've seriously been considering making a few farang t-shirts with things written in Thai on them, like "I Hate Wooden Frogs" with a lithograph of a wooden frog and the big red circle with a bar across it on the back.

We need to put our heads together, I've got some good ones in a Google Doc.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The ReindeerF Story: Healthcare Magnate to T-Shirt Mogol, Jing Jing

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If I play my cards right, I may have my own Chai Sii stand by 2012. Look out Somchai, I'm a 'comin!

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Expect to see you at an MBK near me soon!

spittoon
May 15, 2009
Howdy all, I'm an American that's been living in Chiang Mai for about 8 months now, doing the usual teaching English thing. While I do enjoy the work and absolutely love the city/lifestyle/people here, a recent trip to the islands reminded me how much I love the ocean and how great it would be to be closer to it, and, ideally, work in it.

I've been considering taking a dive master cert course on one of the islands (probably Koh Tao) in the not-too-distant future. I'm an experienced diver w/PADI open water cert, but I don't know if I have any of my hours logged. Has anyone here done this? How easy is it to find a job and make a decent wage as a dive master? Any kind of advice or information/real world experiences would be swell.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I got the impression that divemasters in Thailand don't make much money and are usually from places where making not so much money is normal. The guy I took my open water course with was from Hungary, for example. The money is some kind of split deal where the instructor of the course gets a certain percentage of what the student pays, and if the student backs out or whatever the instructor loses those fees just like the school does. Most of the instructors seemed to basically be making enough for rent and food. Divemaster, of course, is a step or two down from instructor.

It's also fairly important for your divemaster employablity that you're physically attractive and speak some non-English language so they can advertise that on their standee in front of the shop.

I found this on the internet:

quote:

Q. What money does an instructor earn in Thailand teaching scuba diving?

A. This is a very frequently asked question. Mermaids can offer the very best opportunity for scuba diving employment with a fantastic diver jobs service. Obviously dive work offers a fantastic "life style" of living in a beautiful tropical country and working your passion for a living - but that's just it - YOU DO NEED TO MAKE A LIVING!!! There are instructors that earn $500US per month and are happy with that as they are on a pension and do it as a hobby. There are also many instructors that earn $1500++US per month - it's down to you and how hard you are prepared to work. Bare in mind that you'll be whistling on your way to work.

Q. What about in other countries?

A. We have seen a trend in western countries that the starting salaries tend to begin approximately 20% - 50% higher than Thailand's industry. This is in general but an average from what we have seen. (The cost of living is usually higher and hence offsets gains).

Q. What about Divemasters - can they earn a living?

A. There is an income to be earned with working in the scuba diving industry for sure. You will find that Instructors generally earn more than Divemasters due to the amount of duties that they can perform over and above. Always remember that "life-style" is very important. I recently (2004) placed 2 dive masters in positions where they are on $600 per month as a standard wage. This is not a great deal but when you factor into that the cost of living and that their housing is provided - it's actually quite respectable. On the flip side of the coin there are many dive masters that work just for the diving experience and do not get paid - but they get their free diving. When you turn "dive pro" (Divemaster being the first rung) you get many advantages. On top of the wealth of knowledge that you should have if trained well you'll generally be entitled to diving discounts where ever you go and get the chance of free diving if you assist. Some shops do not hire Dive masters as they have the DMT's (Dive master trainees). The best paid DM's that I know are a couple who earn approximately $75 per day each. Now here - that's good money. Different dive shops and different countries alike have different policies but you'll generally be able to find work as a Divemaster pretty much anywhere if you apply yourself. As a divemaster trainee through one of our Mermaids apprenticeships you will have additional specialty certifications and will have had dedicated dive tuition to make you a first class dive professional and not "just a DM".

So it looks like you should expect about 1000 a month or something, as an instructor. Less as a divemaster.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 11, 2011

Play Dead
Jan 22, 2009
Hey Guys, I’m embarking on an exchange to Singapore from July to December. I hope to do heaps of regional travel during it, and at the end I have around two months before I have to get home. My plan was to save Thailand and Laos for those two months, now my original itinerary had me arrive in Bangkok, move up North and see Chiang Mai (possibly 3 weeks) etc then jump across to Laos.

I love trekking, so I plan to spend a fair bit of time in Laos. Probably extend my visa in Vientiane and go south at least as far as Tha Kaek if not all the way to 4000 islands. Then jump back to BKK, go to the beach to wind down and fly out home. My question is will I be able to simply get a Visa online before I arrive for the first leg in Thailand, and then get another when I cross overland from Laos? Will there be an issue since my flights will be longer part then the 30 days, even though I won’t be overstaying?

I had a friend coming, but now it looks like I’ll be on a solotrip, at least during the Laos part. I can do it, but I’m concerned that I will have trouble organising treks with just one person? I don’t really want it to be and a guide. Anyone had some experience for things like this?

Finally it is the high season, any recommendations for 1. Beaches in Thailand that won’t be full of drunk Aussies 2. Accommodation in Bangkok that won’t be full of drunk Aussies and is it necessary to book ahead? Any other general comments or suggestions appreciated, and if anyone else is going to be in the region throughout the period and wants to talk let me know.

chockomonkey
Oct 14, 2004
hopefully the fact that it's the high season will make it easier for you to find Trekking. The only time i tried to do a Trek was when I was in Phungsali Laos, alone... the only other travelers i saw were an older couple, so when I inquired about trekking at the local tourist office, I wasn't surprised that no one else was planning to do it and the price to go solo was obviously too much. I shoulda found some people in Udomxai before heading north, but that's my fault. Should be easy enough to do if you plan for it.

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006
Anyone been to the Philippines?

I'm going to be there from the 1st to the 6th, flying out of Clark Airport. Is Clark really far away from Metro Manila?

I would rather spend the least amount of time possible in Manila, and get to a decent beach as soon as possible.

I would rather not travel to Boracay as the flight prices are steep and its over-run with tourists.

Am I better off flying to a beach area, or are there decent places within 5 hours of Manila?

Can anyone recommend some carriers that provide cheap flights to a good beach destination? I'm just looking for some good snorkeling and relaxation on the beach, not really looking to see any museums or anything like that in the short time I have.

Has anyone been to Palawan?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I have a stupid question about Malaysia!

I used to live with a Malaysian guy who was the worst person I've ever had to share a living space with. He made everyone's lives miserable because of his paranoid "rules". His two most disruptive ones were 1) no cleaning products, because of the "chemicals", and 2) no open windows ever under any circumstances, because burglars might get in.

I always wondered how much of this (particularly #2) was down to him just being a messed-up rear end in a top hat, or if it came from something to do with his upbringing. I know absolutely nothing about Malaysia. Is there a lot of crime there? Is it unusual for people in Malaysia to open their windows? What was his problem?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 15, 2011

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Malaysia does have crime in some areas (where doesn't) and it's not really advisable to leave windows open if you're close to the ground floor. It does just sound like he's an rear end in a top hat though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

B-Rad posted:

I did a long write up on Manila here. I realize you're going to get out of Manila, so it's probably not of much use. I really enjoyed Davao, for what it's worth. It's right across a ferry from a beach resort, though you could find more exotic places. The Philippines has insane archipelago beaches. Have fun! Stay out of Manila!

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.
Clark Airport is hours away from metro manila by taxi on the freeway. I don't even want to think about how long a bus takes. At least that's how I remember it. It might look close on a map, but it takes a while.

Sabang is a beach town only a short(ish) bus ride and a ferry away from Manila. I got it recommended by someone, I don't remember who, but I'd avoid it if I were you. Horrible beach, at least when you compare it to the tropical paradises you can find in the Philippines, prostitutes and lots of old westerners with shady intentions. It's probably because it's so close to Manila. I never want to go back.

I'm sorry I'm not more helpful, but now you at least know where no to go.

Edit: I didn't really stay long in the Manila area. Most of the beaches I visited where a lot farther away, and not really feasible to visit on such a short stay.

Fiskenbob fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 15, 2011

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
I'm booking flights for my Thailand trip and have a question...

I fly in to BKK via LAX at 11:15 AM on a Thursday. I plan on heading to Chiang Mai immediately. Air Asia has a flight at 12:40PM, so about an hour and a half between flights.

Can I clear customs, grab my bag, check in with air asia, and catch my plane in that amount of time?

Otherwise I have to wait 'til 6PM for the next flight

Edit: this is probably a bad idea

Tuff Scrote fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 16, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tuff Ghost posted:

I'm booking flights for my Thailand trip and have a question...

I fly in to BKK via LAX at 11:15 AM on a Thursday. I plan on heading to Chiang Mai immediately. Air Asia has a flight at 12:40PM, so about an hour and a half between flights.

Can I clear customs, grab my bag, check in with air asia, and catch my plane in that amount of time?

Otherwise I have to wait 'til 6PM for the next flight

Edit: this is probably a bad idea

I'd probably give five to one against you making that. 6PM should be fine and the Bangkok airport isn't a terrible place to be for a few hours -- plenty of people watching, that's for sure.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'd probably give five to one against you making that. 6PM should be fine and the Bangkok airport isn't a terrible place to be for a few hours -- plenty of people watching, that's for sure.
Seconding this. Just clear immigration then head over to one of the restaurants on second floor and hang out for a bit. Do *not* clear into the domestic terminal until you have to. It's barren and the only restaurant area has been refurbished to be even worse than it was.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

B-Rad posted:

I'm going to be there from the 1st to the 6th, flying out of Clark Airport. Is Clark really far away from Metro Manila?

I would rather spend the least amount of time possible in Manila, and get to a decent beach as soon as possible.

I would rather not travel to Boracay as the flight prices are steep and its over-run with tourists.

Am I better off flying to a beach area, or are there decent places within 5 hours of Manila?

Can anyone recommend some carriers that provide cheap flights to a good beach destination? I'm just looking for some good snorkeling and relaxation on the beach, not really looking to see any museums or anything like that in the short time I have.

My personal recommendation would be either of two places, at near-opposite sides of Luzon:

1) Caramoan Peninsula, in the southern Bicol region - the venue of multiple Survivor tapings (I believe Survivor Norway and Sweden are taping there now). The main Caramoan landmass serves as the starting point for jumping around the various white sand beach islands surrounding the area, and I can definitely say that spending the day island-hopping with a full case of beer and munchies aplenty is my idea of a beach bum's paradise. You can travel there by taking a 40-minute plane to Naga City, then a 1-hour shuttle van to Sabang port, and a 1.5-hour boat ride to Caramoan.

2) Pagudpud in the northern Ilocos region - the beach is a nice as Boracay, but the place is a hell of a lot more laid back. You can definitely get your beach bum on there. Getting there is either 10-12 hours overland from Manila, or you can take a 45-minute flight to Laoag, then a 2-hour bus trip to Pagudpud from there.

I suggest checking for flights on Cebu Pacific to/from Laoag, or Air Philippines going to/from Naga.

Selector
Oct 24, 2003
I'm that person people avoid at family gatherings.

Fuck You

Sincerely, the aviation megathread
Is one week enough to have any kind of fun in Thailand? What kind of travel time am I looking at from the states?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Selector posted:

Is one week enough to have any kind of fun in Thailand? What kind of travel time am I looking at from the states?

About a day to get there and a day to get back, door to door. Direct flights are rare because it's such a long distance so there's usually one stop along the way. If you get more stops than that figure definitely a day in transit until you get to your hotel in Bangkok.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Almost any Indonesia talk I hear of is about Bali, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience on any other islands. I'm particularly interested to hear about Sulawesi.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

xcdude24 posted:

Almost any Indonesia talk I hear of is about Bali, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience on any other islands. I'm particularly interested to hear about Sulawesi.

Haven't been to Sulawesi, but have heard excellent things. Very off the beaten path, lots of interesting Toraja villages in the south. Manado has what is reputed to be some of the world's best diving and spiciest food. I know that Makassar is connected by Pelni boats to cities all over Indonesia as well.

I visited Flores, in Nusa Tenggara, in 2003. That entire chain of islands stretching east from Bali is incredible, Flores particularly. You've got hill tribe villages, dragons, diving, a tri-color volcanic lake, and pristine landscape. You can fly into Maumere from Bali for cheap-cheap, or island-hop.

cobra_64
Apr 3, 2007
Hello all. Just some quick questions. My wife and I are going on a two week vacation leaving July 1. I work for an airline so travel plans are loose at best considering we travel on standby. Our plan is to take a direct flight to Narita, and spend a day or two in Japan. We want to go to Hua Hin Thailand but we want to make sure the elections don't cause to much protest to flare up. If we can't get to Bangkok we might try flying to Phuket instead.

However, our Plan B is looking like going to Kuala Lumpur. Any suggestions for nice beach resorts withing a day long train or bus ride? We were thinking maybe of even going down to Singapore, so maybe something en route? I would love to spend a couple days sitting with my toes in the sand under a palm tree. Comments? Suggestions?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

cobra_64 posted:

Hello all. Just some quick questions. My wife and I are going on a two week vacation leaving July 1. I work for an airline so travel plans are loose at best considering we travel on standby. Our plan is to take a direct flight to Narita, and spend a day or two in Japan. We want to go to Hua Hin Thailand but we want to make sure the elections don't cause to much protest to flare up. If we can't get to Bangkok we might try flying to Phuket instead.

However, our Plan B is looking like going to Kuala Lumpur. Any suggestions for nice beach resorts withing a day long train or bus ride? We were thinking maybe of even going down to Singapore, so maybe something en route? I would love to spend a couple days sitting with my toes in the sand under a palm tree. Comments? Suggestions?

Penang. Take the train from KL to Butterworth, and then the ferry across the strait to Georgetown. Stay in Georgetown, or at Batu Ferrenghi. The street food in Georgetown is some of the best you'll find anywhere in the world, and the island has some excellent beaches.

Or, head to Kota Bharu, and go to the Perhentian Islands.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Macunaima posted:

Penang. Take the train from KL to Butterworth, and then the ferry across the strait to Georgetown. Stay in Georgetown, or at Batu Ferrenghi. The street food in Georgetown is some of the best you'll find anywhere in the world, and the island has some excellent beaches.

Or, head to Kota Bharu, and go to the Perhentian Islands.

There's also Tioman (near Singapore) and Langkawi (west side of Peninsular Malaysia) or if you want a two hour(plus) flight (very cheap most of the time) you could go across to Sabah in East Malaysia (Borneo). I've never been there but the beaches are supposed to be some of the best in the world.

There are plenty of options from Kuala Lumpur and even if you don't want to stay in Malaysia proper, there are a lot of really cheap flights to other parts of south east asia. Phuket is only an hour and a half away for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

B-Rad posted:

Let me know if you go; I'm' planning on going to Palawan in November.