Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
I love hearing the stories about old-time rail. And as an ex-SEPTA commuter I love reading that board to hear about the ins-and-outs of the system. It's the people who literally obsess over seeing certain cars, bitch about transit line expansions that will never happen, and jabber on about pointless subjects that even pedantic train nuts don't give two shits about that drive me crazy. I used to read/post every day but now I stop by once a week at best.

And yes, Otto was a gigantic douchebag. He closed threads for no reason and sent me numerous warning PMs after I posted very tame complains about certain posters/threads.

E: It also makes me kind of :smith: when I realize that a lot of the foamers on RR.NET must not have jobs, children, wives, or anything else interesting in their lives, because all some of them do is go take pictures of trains all day (calling chuchubob).

Fixed Gear Guy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Here is my set of wonderful units.

I have some flooding pictures I will pass along soon.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

bitch about transit line expansions that will never happen,

If you have time to bitch about transit line expansions, you aren't using them. :-) I clock something like 8hrs a week on commuter rail. ... which is down from what it used to be. I used to spend almost 20 hours a week on trains. I did a good portion of my normal sleeping on them.

I do hope they'll expand our rail lines out here. You can't beat Metra to downtown Chicago during rush hour. And I have tried.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

I live only a couple blocks from the NEC and, trust me, there's nothing more of a rush then sitting around at one of the SEPTA stations for a couple hours and waiting for Acelas, Regionals, and stuff coming up from the South to rush by at near 100 mph. I love how you can hear the catenary vibrating before the train comes, and all of the sudden -- WHAM! The entire ground rumbles.
The TGV speed runs were probably pretty awesome to see in person: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAOV1l2ondU and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Bel_LcjZg

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Nerobro posted:

You can't beat Metra to downtown Chicago during rush hour. And I have tried.

Hah. I take the MBCR to work 5 days a week too, an hour and a bit each way, and the few times I've driven in it takes half again to twice as long to drive! Boston metro area traffic really is the worst.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

porkfriedrice posted:

It's gotten a little better since Jeff Smith took over as admin. Otto Vondrak seemed like a whiny bitch in some of his posts, and loved to close threads while making huffy little comments. I like hearing the stories some of the old timers tell of their days on the job, usually pretty interesting stuff. You're right though, there's a lot of people on there who think they know everything.
One of these guys contacted me and demanded I take down a picture from my site which they "had copyright" on and was supposedly from their site.

I told them just because some foamer takes one of MY pictures and they label it on their site doesn't change ownership from me to them. loving tools.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

B4Ctom1 posted:

some foamer

haha, I'd forgotten about that term. Foamers and whackers!

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

Hermansen posted:

I'm starting my last training in driving now :)
I'll be driving the Di8

The EL14

The EL16

And maybe the CE119

Can't wait to get certified!

the CE119 looks ALOT like the ALP-46A's seen down in NJ and NYC on NJ transit.

Also -- Shortline Conductor for a few tourist and light freight operations in the Northeast US, feel free to ask me any questions you'd like...
Don't even get me started on foamers...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Dacheat posted:

Also -- Shortline Conductor for a few tourist and light freight operations in the Northeast US, feel free to ask me any questions you'd like...
Don't even get me started on foamers...

I'm asking you to get started. I'd like to hear how crazy train nuts get.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Goddamn, that sounds like such a cool job. What's the job market like in Colorado (NOT Wyoming)for train drivers? What's the process you went through that landed you such a job offer?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Boomerjinks posted:

Goddamn, that sounds like such a cool job. What's the job market like in Colorado (NOT Wyoming)for train drivers? What's the process you went through that landed you such a job offer?

BNSF is hiring in Denver. Best thing to do is apply online, when you get an invitation, PM me, I will help you every way I can. Do not rule out being in the signal department or car repairer (carman). This is one of the few blue collar jobs out there that makes a nice living. Sure you won't break the bank, but you will make a nice pay check with some great benefits.

9axle
Sep 6, 2009
You may have to apply over and over. I know some guys who signed on with me had been trying for a year or more, others got it on the first try. Just keep trying, and don't take rejection to heart, its part of getting the job.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
AI pic. One of my two rides gets good mileage and does well off road

Nerobro posted:

I'd like to hear how crazy train nuts get.

Conversation:

I get off the locomotive last at the crew change point. We roll up and the conductor walks in to job brief the oncoming crew.

I cant leave the train unattended, so I step to the bottom step with my backpack on and wait for them to walk over from the office.

This crew change location is only 5 feet from public property so occasionally there are foamers around taking pictures and asking questions.

:allears: - "Hey does that locomotive have a 26L brake stand?"

:raise: - "I'm sorry I don't even know what that is."

:allears: - "Who is the engineer, is he around?"

:raise: - "I am the engineer."

:allears: - "How can you be the engineer if you don't even know anything about your train?"

:raise: - "I also don't know what kind of yellow paint they use, what kind of steel the wheels are made out of, the specific gravity of the fuel, or who makes the stairs I am standing on."

:allears: - "hmpf" (walks off)

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

BrokenKnucklez posted:

BNSF is hiring in Denver. Best thing to do is apply online, when you get an invitation, PM me, I will help you every way I can. Do not rule out being in the signal department or car repairer (carman). This is one of the few blue collar jobs out there that makes a nice living. Sure you won't break the bank, but you will make a nice pay check with some great benefits.

Awesome! Any more details on that? The only places hiring that I saw were Trinidad and Sterling.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

AI pic. One of my two rides gets good mileage and does well off road

:allears: - "Hey does that locomotive have a 26L brake stand?"

Well that's all kinds of additude. Why would you need to know about what sort of parts are on your train so long as it behaves as it's supposed to.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
That is correct.

I am more interested in what kind of seat my rear end is going to be in for 8-12 hours.

I felt like saying, "hey do I come to your work and ask if you use a sink or toilet plunger?"

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Every time I hear stories of people like that, my mind just goes :wtc: and wonders what type of person actually gives a poo poo about those minute details.

E: for content. From some pics I've seen of freight loco cabs, it seems many engineers and/or conductors smoke like fiends. Do you ever enter a cab and find it filthy disgusting with cigarette ash, leftover food, or other junk?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Every time I hear stories of people like that, my mind just goes :wtc: and wonders what type of person actually gives a poo poo about those minute details.

E: for content. From some pics I've seen of freight loco cabs, it seems many engineers and/or conductors smoke like fiends. Do you ever enter a cab and find it filthy disgusting with cigarette ash, leftover food, or other junk?

There is a strict no smoking policy. But as you could imagine that doesn't mean they wont. The newish wide cab locomotives have two doors in the nose. They stand in that little room with the front door cracked and smoke like a train. So when you get on in the winter especially, that area is unbearable.

The other thing is climbing on and having the cab reek like orange air freshener or Ozium.

What really grosses me out is finding a bottle full of chew spit laying around. Or sunflower seed husks all over.

The first thing most of us do is take handy wipes and wipe everything we will come in contact with down.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

The Onion is hit or miss these days, but this is so spot-on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInDH2FeXaM

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Das Volk posted:

The Onion is hit or miss these days, but this is so spot-on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInDH2FeXaM

Holy crap that is utterly perfect.

Trainspotters are massive sperglords who literally stand around with notebooks and relay sightings of trains to one another. That is to say, sometimes it was faster for me, as an employee, to talk to the local rail sperg who could tell me exactly where a locomotive was, than it was for me to find out from the guys who are paid to know. They were able to tell me the precise time it departed a depot 1.5 hours drive away and could tell me that it was in a consist with 2 or 3 other locomotives and coming up to where I was.

They're goddamn crazy.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Das Volk posted:

That was absolutely perfect :D.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Speaking of railroad employment opportunities, I'm looking to change jobs, and was wondering if anyone knew if any of the railroads were hiring in the central Florida area.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ExplodingSims posted:

Speaking of railroad employment opportunities, I'm looking to change jobs, and was wondering if anyone knew if any of the railroads were hiring in the central Florida area.

CSX and Norfolk Southern are you big boys down there. I think the FEC is running around there but they had some major furloughs.

Advice to every one regarding to rail jobs.

Class 1 are the big boys were you make the big bucks. Class 2 railroads are smaller and generally more family friendly. Class 3 and Short lines.... please don't bother, they really are a shamble outfit and your safety is at risk, plus they pay very poorly. Class 2's are starting to pay decently but still low compared to class 1's.

The best paying railroad is the Canadian National. 33/hr, over time after 10 hours. So basically its 330 dollars to show up to work. With 12 hours that makes it 429 a day. A couple friends of mine work for them and last year they cleared around 130,000 give or take. But you are working for it, keep that in mind. Oh and the locations are terrible. Who the hell wants to work in north Wisconsin.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Northern Wisconsin is serene and scenic. Also, ticks and mosquitos.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Nam Taf posted:

Holy crap that is utterly perfect.

Trainspotters are massive sperglords who literally stand around with notebooks and relay sightings of trains to one another. That is to say, sometimes it was faster for me, as an employee, to talk to the local rail sperg who could tell me exactly where a locomotive was, than it was for me to find out from the guys who are paid to know. They were able to tell me the precise time it departed a depot 1.5 hours drive away and could tell me that it was in a consist with 2 or 3 other locomotives and coming up to where I was.

They're goddamn crazy.

How they have so much time (and gas money) to chase trains? What do they do for a living?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Wedesdo posted:

How they have so much time (and gas money) to chase trains? What do they do for a living?

I've no idea what they do for a living but they're not actually driving around chasing them so it's not really expensive. They hook up with other trainspotters and share details on sightings of locos. For example, the place I was referring to was in a small town of about 75,000 people, where the depot is only a few minutes drive from the "CBD", and across from the passenger station for the long-distance trains there. As such, they'd just stand on the platform and look in to the depot as they either run through the city on the main line, or in to the depot for servicing.

At the same time, their peers would do the same in the town over 100km away and be in constant communication with each other, so the guy in the town where I was would have heard that a loco had just departed from the depot 100km away on the north line heading towards the town where I was. Hence he'd know. They're goddamn crazy.

That said, it's also hilarious how big some of the gaps in their info is. They'll have huge detail on some aspects which makes you wonder how the hell they know about some stuff, but then they are completely off the mark on other stuff that, as an employee, you think is pretty general knowledge even in the public domain.

Fun fact: One of the biggest rail fan forums here in Australia had to enact a forum rule that 'sightings' of trains had to be phyiscal sightings, rather than simply guys listening to the control radios and basically regurgitating every detail they heard, as the 'sightings' megathread was just getting overwhelmed. They're that obsessed.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

That said, it's also hilarious how big some of the gaps in their info is. They'll have huge detail on some aspects which makes you wonder how the hell they know about some stuff, but then they are completely off the mark on other stuff that, as an employee, you think is pretty general knowledge even in the public domain.
Got any examples handy? I wanna laugh.

Two Ton 21
Dec 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nam Taf posted:

I've no idea what they do for a living but they're not actually driving around chasing them so it's not really expensive. They hook up with other trainspotters and share details on sightings of locos. For example, the place I was referring to was in a small town of about 75,000 people, where the depot is only a few minutes drive from the "CBD", and across from the passenger station for the long-distance trains there. As such, they'd just stand on the platform and look in to the depot as they either run through the city on the main line, or in to the depot for servicing.

At the same time, their peers would do the same in the town over 100km away and be in constant communication with each other, so the guy in the town where I was would have heard that a loco had just departed from the depot 100km away on the north line heading towards the town where I was. Hence he'd know. They're goddamn crazy.

Fun fact: One of the biggest rail fan forums here in Australia had to enact a forum rule that 'sightings' of trains had to be phyiscal sightings, rather than simply guys listening to the control radios and basically regurgitating every detail they heard, as the 'sightings' megathread was just getting overwhelmed. They're that obsessed.

And people wondered what aspies did before the internet.

:spergin:

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Who the hell wants to work in north Wisconsin.
it is me, i want to work in northern wisconsin. where do i sign up?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Das Volk posted:

Holy gently caress I am showing that to my fellow railroaders.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Nerobro posted:

Got any examples handy? I wanna laugh.

None off-hand and I couldn't find any in 10 mins of looking, but this entire site is pretty amusing to read how obsessed they are. Like, guys contacting the manufacturers of the new passenger trains to get drawings so they can hand-build models of them, but then saying they need more detail because they don't know the exact positioning of the coupling hoses on the front end.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Something that would change from train to train............ "I wanted the trash can in just the right spot"

This could be an anthropologists playground.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Saw this on Yahoo earlier today. Skip to about :40 to see a twister take out a train.
http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/fierce-tornados-caught-on-tape-in-midwest-25695965

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Two Ton 21 posted:

And people wondered what aspies did before the internet.

:spergin:

I remember reading about some guy who knows a lot about the NY subway, sometimes more than the staff and he would pose as one or something. I think he really was autistic or something.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
bus versus train
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=29e_1309541162

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

B4Ctom1 posted:

bus versus train
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=29e_1309541162

drat.

At least where I live they have to come to a complete stop, open the door, and their window before proceeding across tracks, presumably so they can hear better... Which is always fun at lights, "Welp, the bus just started moving when the light went red."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What the hell, it looks like he was stopped 20 ft from the tracks (unless that's just the way the video is).

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Here's what an ALCO RSD-15 "Alligator" (actually the same one pictured on the top of the wiki page) looks/sounds like while being fired up after hibernating for 20+ years. Lots of "Alco smoke" and audio diesel bliss.

Edit:

kathmandu posted:

...was there supposed to be a youtube link here or something?

:downs: Oh, right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_YbT2nLQcQ

bytebark fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 12, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

bytebark posted:

Here's what an ALCO RSD-15 "Alligator" (actually the same one pictured on the top of the wiki page) looks/sounds like while being fired up after hibernating for 20+ years. Lots of "Alco smoke" and audio diesel bliss.

I know the guy (well one of the guys) who restored that. I remember listening to him talk about parts, and figuring out what was wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

bytebark posted:

...was there supposed to be a youtube link here or something?