Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

PoptartsNinja posted:

but if I can get MegaMek to play nice with a video-recording program our format may change enough for me to juggle two LPs at once.

That sounds great, and I am really excited about it. (If it works :ohdear:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Clan MVP: Point Commander Cairn's Elemental Star for showing the true power of Elementals

Com MVP: Wyvern for fighting to the bitter end

SynthOrange posted:

Crab and Elementals, no doubt.

This is so awesome.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

That sounds great, and I am really excited about it. (If it works :ohdear:)

And if the videos aren't 3 hours long...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Alas, when it comes time to choose MVPs, it seems playing Kick the Clan with Elementals is no match for giving no fucks... oh well.

Regrets? Well, kinda wish I had taken out the Guillotine instead of switching to focus on the 'hawk, but either way I was probably going to die that turn anyway. At least this way I helped get the 'hawk down just a little bit more for the Wyvern to finish it off. (Protip for future pilots: "immobilized" means "can't move", not "can't move or shoot".)

Kinda wish I'd pursued that second point of Elementals and finished them off. But there's no telling how badly that would've screwed over the Crab and the Wyvern attempting to take on the 'Mechs, so... eh. I got between 3-5 of the little bastards. I can live with that.

Kinda wish Kei hadn't died to an ammo explosion... was hoping maybe his cockpit having no armor left would've caused him to be thrown clear of his mech by the explosion, but in the end, it doesn't matter. At least he went out fighting... can't ask for more than that.

Regrets? Nah, no regrets. Survived way longer than I had any right to, so I guess I'm satisfied with how things turned out. It's a shame that the Crab also got nuked by a lucky critical the same turn Kei went down, though; if he had survived that round, we might have been able to take out both C2 and C1.

Clan MVPs: Elementals, though it galls me to nominate them for it. But results is results, and between them the Elementals managed to take out 3 of our guys on their own.
Clan Honorable Mention: The Grasshopper IIC; he was the only 'Mech the Hell's Horses had left in anything resembling fighting shape.

ComGuard MVP: The Wyvern survived the longest and was able to finish off one of the Hell's Horses 'Mechs, so gotta give it to Revenant.
ComGuard Honorable Mention: The Crab, for giving no fucks.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Honestly surprised I actually managed to take one out, there; I assumed this turn would start with the Wyvern drifting off into space somewhere. Good to have taken at least one down.

Clan MVPs; The Elementals, for obvious 'mech-destroying abilities.
ComGuard MVP: Kintaro, for Elemental punting in its haters gonna hate stride.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Well honestly, the thing I saw with the game is that the objectives were only the mechs, if they had been aggressive and focused on one mech after the other the elementals would have only taken a few mechs down but they would have won.

However, all this is hard to come to a census as a group alot of times especially when you aren't in front of a physical board, plus some really bad beats screwed everyone over.

MVP: Kintaro for taking down a mech and elementals.
MVP: Elementals: They had the game of their life!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

elitebuster posted:

Clan MVP: Elementals
ComStar: Crab. Crab gives no fucks.
It could be no other way.

W.T. Fits posted:

(Protip for future pilots: "immobilized" means "can't move", not "can't move or shoot".)
That's what it meant in this scenario. In most situations a unit that is Immobile is shut down and totally stationary, gaining a -4 target mod and no penalty to call shots. Something that just can't move has 0MP rather than being immobile.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Comguard MVP: Wyvern
Clan MVP: Elementals

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Comstar MVP: Captain Njangu White, for facing down a Lola 3 in a Union Dropship and telling it, literally and figuratively, that you can stick your Isorla up your arse.

Clan MVP: Elementals. Fear them and live. Underestimate them and eat vacuum. If you're lucky.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This is bumming me out way more than it has any right to be.

Hope the ground side can pull this off somehow.

Edit:vvvv Prayer?

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 16, 2011

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

paragon1 posted:

This is bumming me out way more than it has any right to be.

Hope the ground side can pull this off somehow.

Wait so how the hell are the Comstar forces on the planet supposed to leave the planet and the system if they can't reach the jumpship?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're supposed to fight and die, taking as many clanners with them as possible.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Boogle posted:

Wait so how the hell are the Comstar forces on the planet supposed to leave the planet and the system if they can't reach the jumpship?
They don't leave, they hold fast :jihad:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Boogle posted:

They climb into orbit on a stack of Clanner wreckage.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Boogle posted:

I'm not sure if a Castle Brian is the kind of thing you want to leave once you get inside.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
MVP: Crab
MVP: Elementals

Yeah it's gonna be a bloodbath. Probably have to complete certain objectives before the orbital cannons reaches mission area and kill everybody.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Artificer posted:

Yeah it's gonna be a bloodbath. Probably have to complete certain objectives before the orbital cannons reaches mission area and kill everybody.

It takes a Long Time to get from a jump point (where the Red Knight is) to the planet. Since ComStar got dirtside from a different jump point, chances are decent they can finish their business and escape before the WarShip can get there.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Artificer posted:

Look at this Inner Sphere dog suggesting that Clan Hell's Horses wil stoop to such dishonor. Amusing, quiaff?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Zikan posted:

Look at this Inner Sphere dog suggesting that Clan Hell's Horses wil stoop to such dishonor. Amusing, quiaff?

Aff, it is indeed amusing.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Zikan posted:

Nobody ever knows what to expect from a less-honorable, second line unit. After all, they're second line for a reason. :colbert:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Artificer posted:

Nobody ever knows what to expect from a less-honorable, second line unit. After all, they're second line for a reason. :colbert:

They did need the Elementals to do all the heavy lifting after all. :colbert:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The Merry Marauder posted:

It takes a Long Time to get from a jump point (where the Red Knight is) to the planet. Since ComStar got dirtside from a different jump point, chances are decent they can finish their business and escape before the WarShip can get there.

Actually... the dropship lured the lola AWAY from the planet, the LOLA is headed for the jumppoint the dropship came from... which is not the same as the the one the rest are coming from, a bold and... honorable move in light of this was not the entire battle quiaff? sacrificed itself to buy the rest time.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum

Artificer posted:

Warships are front line units, not enough of them to have a second line.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Aesirstorm posted:

Warships are front line units, not enough of them to have a second line.

not in this universe.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
ComStar MVP? I'll have to vote the Kintaro for actually taking out the Clan MVP (the Toads).

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

AtomikKrab posted:

not in this universe.

Well in the official fluff they went from behind another honorable position (Glorious warship battles as we invade) to being transports during the invasion once the Clans realized the Inner Sphere had no Warships.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Taerkar posted:

Well in the official fluff they went from behind another honorable position (Glorious warship battles as we invade) to being transports during the invasion once the Clans realized the Inner Sphere had no Warships.

Comstar has warships right? Or is it more along the lines of "Comstar has a warship."?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Zikan posted:

Comstar has warships right? Or is it more along the lines of "Comstar has a warship."?

Yeah they had more than probably the rest of the inner sphere combined, but they never used them for anything

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Zikan posted:

Well, if there's ever a moment where a Clanner WarShip captain will be in a sufficiently... apocalyptic mood for something like that, it'd be after a bunch of guys loosing a trial decided to ram a Union up his ships rear end.

Zikan posted:

They have a few hidden away in mothballs that will take a lot of time to reactivate. And that's after the problem of getting crews.

Best bet for the IS to gently caress up warships right now:

1. Aerospace fighter spam.
2. Tactical nukes.
3. DropShips playing kamikaze.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The ComGuard has like 50-some WarShips stored away, but they're not really crewed. What they DO have at Terra, though, is a functional SDS system. It cost Kerensky more WarShips than the Clans likely have to break through it.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
/\ Yeah, SDS are no joke. If the Clans are successful enough, they might try to get others online on old Hegemony worlds. The Blakists managed it.

ComStar's fleet is a motley collection of whatever stuff they could round up, and isn't really optimized for fleet actions.

The Clans aren't exactly awash in WarShips, either, though, and the Lola-III at Richmond is one-fifth of the combat fleet of the Hell's Horses. Goliath Scorpion is more flush, and would make about an equal match for the ComStar fleet in a totally theoretical stand-up (float-up?) fight.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So how dumb are the clanners? Did they really expect random people who have know idea who they are to even know what isorla means, let alone follow along with its purpose? Did nobody brief them on the way out that, "Oh by the way, this system of bidding and honour duels that we have, they don't know about it, so don't expect anything." They launched this invasion with literally no intel whatsoever?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So how dumb are the clanners? Did they really expect random people who have know idea who they are to even know what isorla means, let alone follow along with its purpose? Did nobody brief them on the way out that, "Oh by the way, this system of bidding and honour duels that we have, they don't know about it, so don't expect anything." They launched this invasion with literally no intel whatsoever?

Yes, they did. No Wolf's Dragoons existed in this timeline to send back information to the Clans. To be fair, the Clanners were kind of dumb about this even in canon.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Defiance Industries posted:

The ComGuard has like 50-some WarShips stored away, but they're not really crewed. What they DO have at Terra, though, is a functional SDS system. It cost Kerensky more WarShips than the Clans likely have to break through it.

Well, theoretically functional, not actually functional; I don't think in canon it comes online again until after the WOB gets ahold of it, but I might be wrong. But yeah, there are entire classes of ships (like the Luxor) that don't exist anymore purely because of the old SDS networks during the Amaris coup.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
They probably know that they don't have the rules but are just stubborn as poo poo about it, I thought? The impression I got was that they were pretty arrogant about their skills and tech and just believed they could stick to their honor code and still win. Fight with one hand pinned behind their back, so to speak.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

They probably know that they don't have the rules but are just stubborn as poo poo about it, I thought? The impression I got was that they were pretty arrogant about their skills and tech and just believed they could stick to their honor code and still win. Fight with one hand pinned behind their back, so to speak.

Which, to be fair, pretty much worked until Tukayyid.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Taerkar posted:

To be fair, it wasn't even that there were no Warships. It's that the IS was so paranoid about their safety that risking one in an actual military confrontation was insane. They were paper tigers, not combat units. The IS could have had hundreds and it wouldn't have been different on that front.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Don't the FWL have tons and tons of warships? Like more than comstar)?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Poptarts mentioned the successor states still have warships... so comstar likely has a fuckload, hell either they or the lyrans have the INVINCIBLE which in canon was I think the last warship left outside the hands of comstar... before getting lost in space after shooting the poo poo out of some dracs and eventually falling into the hands of the word of blake who fixed it up and had it assault the lyrans who made it. Eventually the Lyrans recapture it. Whoever has that mighty ship that gives no fucks has a power advantage.

Just so you can see its weaponry

damage is per gun
4 x NL35s 3.5 capital or 35 damage
4 x NL45s 4.5 capital
11 x NL55s 5.5 capital
15 x Medium NPPCs 9 capital or 90 standard
8 x Heavy NPPCs 15 capital or 150 standard
6 x NAC/20s 20 capital
6 x NAC/25s 25 capital
4 x NAC/30s 30 capital
4 x NAC/35s 35 capital
6 x Killer Whale Launchers
4 x Heavy N-Gauss Cannons 30 capital (significant range advantage over naval ACs)
992 capital damage possible in total (note that guns are in different arcs so its not all going in the same place and yadda yadda)
And it mounts an array of anti aerospace weaponry which is the reason it survived because it was one of the few star league era ships able to make aerospace gently caress off.
18 x LRM-20s
18 x LRM-10s
17 x Large Lasers
34 x Medium Lasers

lets compare it to another warship

the Cameron class

12 x Heavy NPPCs 15 capital
8 x AR-10 Launchers fires missiles... not sure if its 10 missiles per or just one per never says
16 x NAC/25s 25 capital
10 x NL55s 5.5 capital
635 capital scale damage

and no way to defend against fighters either. (also a crappy ship)

and behold the end all warship the Leviathan II at 2.4 million tons it is about 3 times the size of either of the previous mentioned and mounts

2 x Heavy Naval Gausses 30 capital
4 Medium Naval Gausses 25 capital
10 x NAC/30s 30 capital
28 x Medium NPPCs 9 capital
108 x NL55s 5.5 capital
6 x AR-10 Launchers Missiles
And anti aerospace
10 x ER PPCs
50 x ER Large Lasers
40 x ER Medium Laser
20 x Large Pulse Lasers
40 x Medium Pulse Lasers
16 x Gauss Rifles
12 x LRM 20+ArtIV
80 x ATM-12s
18 x Streak SRM 6s
30 x AMS

of course the real thing is... it houses 300 aerospace fighter assets and so much armor that nukes bounce off the drat things. but also production won't start on this for another 12 years and even then it takes 10 more for clan ghost bear (Clan Lyrans in Disguise) to get a halfassed one done.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

Don't the FWL have tons and tons of warships? Like more than comstar)?

Canonically, no Successor States have any WarShips at this time. Later, with Blakist design/construction/salvage help, the FWL does end up with a fleet the size of ComStar's, half of which the Blakists abscond with.

• Locked thread