Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Looks like they're looking for a couple senior network engineers right now,
http://teksavvy.com/en/employment.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Pweller posted:

I knew I heard something about a network job opening up but I wasn't sure.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Sorry to interrupt the Teksavvy chat with something about Telus :barf: but I live out in the sticks and Telus/Shaw are literally the only options I have.

I've been stuck on a 3mb Telus line which was the max for the area, and they just upgraded all the lines in the area to bring Optik in. I can now upgrade to 6mb for free which will be nice, or possibly upgrade to something faster for more cash monthly... but I was looking at the Optik plans and it actually seems like it would work out to be cheaper to ditch our bundled satellite and get the Optik TV/Internet mix, upgrading to 25mb which would probably blow our minds after 3mb all these years.

What is the opinion of Optik, besides being Telus? I've heard that if you have your TV on you basically can't use the internet, but I can never tell if that's a serious complaint or if it's something like :qq: "my 25mb internet is only getting 19mb while the TV is on" :qq:

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Hey check this out.

Shaw's unlimited 100 package is $135 for 100Mbit connection. If you do the math, you could max it out for a throughput of 33.6TB/month. At 4 cents/GB, that's $134.

So it looks like they did the math there. But, in "phase 2" they are increasing the speed to 250Mbit without changing the price, so you can do 85TB of data for the same price.

So either it's an oversight and they're gonna get hosed by assholes like me who just buy a second connection and hook it up to an unused laptop and transfer 85TB of garbage data a month out of pure spite, or their new mystery infrastructure is 3x as efficient. :iiam:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tagra posted:

What is the opinion of Optik, besides being Telus? I've heard that if you have your TV on you basically can't use the internet, but I can never tell if that's a serious complaint or if it's something like :qq: "my 25mb internet is only getting 19mb while the TV is on" :qq:
It's been excellent for me. There's no noticable slowdown with TV on, though we only have a single TV.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
What's this "Cogeco tariff" that was mentioned earlier? Can someone please elaborate? Thanks.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Pweller posted:

I assume this is out in toronto? If it was Vancouver I would apply right this second.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Nitr0 posted:

I assume this is out in toronto? If it was Vancouver I would apply right this second.

Chatham, Ontario.

Important things to know about Chatham:

- Dave Gagner is from there
- Shay-Lynn Bourne is from there
- Ron Sparks is from there

That's about it.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Sounds like a good place to be from.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lemons posted:

Sounds like a good place to be from.

I hated growing up there (yeah, I'm real original, hating the small town I grew up in) but working at a job I love is right now more important than where I live. Especially since the place I wish I was living in is just 40 minutes away (Windsor).

I'm just parroting Rocky's twitter, buuuut:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-377.htm

"@oshawapilot: @tsirocky So does that translate to "Faster TSI DSL coming soon"?". Yes.

No word on when.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Lone Rogue posted:

Chatham, Ontario.

Important things to know about Chatham:

- Dave Gagner is from there
- Shay-Lynn Bourne is from there
- Ron Sparks is from there

That's about it.

Wheels Inn?

And yeah my father in law lives in Ridgetown so I feel your pain.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bonzo posted:

Wheels Inn?

And yeah my father in law lives in Ridgetown so I feel your pain.

Wheels Inn is gone now :(

I'll miss playing laser tag with Darude's "Sand Storm" playing.

My childhood is pretty much destroyed without any Wheels Inn: Wild Zone and Eightball Arcade existing anymore.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Lone Rogue posted:

Wheels Inn is gone now :(

I'll miss playing laser tag with Darude's "Sand Storm" playing.

My childhood is pretty much destroyed without any Wheels Inn: Wild Zone and Eightball Arcade existing anymore.

Wait what? My cousin (that I only see at weddings and funerals) married into the family that runs the place. Then again, no one has died or gotten married in a year so I guess that's possible.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Where can you change the internet options? Do you have to phone in? I am logged into my customer care thing for Shaw but do not see anything.

Also thanks for the heads up on the router, no wonder I couldn't stream HD or movies in general to my PS3, loving Linksys WRT160W.

EDIT: Have to call to change, $20 more than my Extreme... tempting. :3:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 15, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vehementi posted:

Hey check this out.

Shaw's unlimited 100 package is $135 for 100Mbit connection. If you do the math, you could max it out for a throughput of 33.6TB/month. At 4 cents/GB, that's $134.

So it looks like they did the math there. But, in "phase 2" they are increasing the speed to 250Mbit without changing the price, so you can do 85TB of data for the same price.

So either it's an oversight and they're gonna get hosed by assholes like me who just buy a second connection and hook it up to an unused laptop and transfer 85TB of garbage data a month out of pure spite, or their new mystery infrastructure is 3x as efficient. :iiam:

It's not a "mystery" infrastructure. They're killing off the analogue signal which occupies a good chunk of their network.

What surprised me when i signed up for their 100mbit is that in the fine print, the "acceptable use" policy states that their "unlimited" data is truely unlimited. Comcast's "unlimtied" data packages have an acceptable use limit of 250gb/month. Most mobile telco's "unlimited" data packages have an acceptable use limit of 5-6gb/month.

The number of people who will download constantly "out of spite" would be incredibly insignificant. People who download whatever they feel like downloading whenever they feel like doing it will still be hard pressed to consume more than 5tb a month.

$120/month for unlimited data at 250mbit seems fair to me. However, contrary to what they were suggesting before wanting to stop the average user from subsidizing the "heavy user", they seem to have done just that. The price of their basic 1mbit plan jumped from $27 to $60(but if you have an old plan you can keep it), and the price of their 100mbit plan dropped from $250 to $70. The light user is paying more than double, the heavy user is paying less than a third.

Feels good to be a "heavy user"

Who could have imagined 2 months ago that anybody here would even have to give a poo poo about "wan to lan throughput" of routers.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Powershift posted:

Comcast's "unlimtied" data packages have an acceptable use limit of 250gb/month.

Comcast hasn't sold a service as unlimited to residential service for nigh on 6 years now. Their Business service IS unlimited tho, no 250 gb cap. And I would note that the Comcast cap is not enforced in most areas either.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bonzo posted:

Wait what? My cousin (that I only see at weddings and funerals) married into the family that runs the place. Then again, no one has died or gotten married in a year so I guess that's possible.

http://ckdp.ca/2009/05/06/wheels-inn-set-to-close-in-chatham/

quote:

There is no more Wheels Inn in Chatham. It is closed, vacant & empty. They held an auction and sold everything from the bowling alley, amusement park, waterslides etc. No one took it over, it is not reopening & if you drive by today you will see the demolition crews dismantling it all brick by brick…

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hey an actual TSI employee :D

We're pretty set on switching over to you guys come the end of this month (I know I said at the end of May, but I wound up being away for a week and a bit and my parents aren't touching the internet without me around) and am looking forward to a nice unlimited plan and dropping our Bell Satellite since all my mother watches is available on Global's site, and I can proxy her up some US Netflix if she wants.

Also when I go to school this January I'm hoping to maybe grab some nice cable internet from you guys in Waterloo.

Thankfully our number checks out here though, I was worried for a while before I tried that lil' old Fort Frances was too far gone for you guys to hit.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
Probably upgrading to the 50 mbps plan from a current standard high speed plan. 7.5 mbps currently - it's a big jump, and the bandwidth allocation is a LOT more tolerable with this plan - 400 GB.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The TekSaavy commercials tonight were sad. :3:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tagra posted:

Sorry to interrupt the Teksavvy chat with something about Telus :barf: but I live out in the sticks and Telus/Shaw are literally the only options I have.

I've been stuck on a 3mb Telus line which was the max for the area, and they just upgraded all the lines in the area to bring Optik in. I can now upgrade to 6mb for free which will be nice, or possibly upgrade to something faster for more cash monthly... but I was looking at the Optik plans and it actually seems like it would work out to be cheaper to ditch our bundled satellite and get the Optik TV/Internet mix, upgrading to 25mb which would probably blow our minds after 3mb all these years.

The latter. We have three TVs though none of them are HD. You'll probably get more significant reduction if you have HDTVs and are watching channels with HD.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Vehementi posted:

(Shaw Staff. Not an official rep, nor an official statement)

Someone already posted, but I can confirm, it actually is close to 3x. I've heard 2.5 and 3x more (I think the former may be more accurate) down and upstream channels available once the analogue channels are gone. Analogue channels use a whole boatload of spectrum. In addition to the reclaim, there is a lot of other work being done upgrading switches, backhaul, etc. etc.

And, as an aside, it doesn't actually cost the provider all that much more per-gig to move traffic. The cost comes from maintaining a network that has the capacity to sustain peak usage. (And not become saturated, thus slowing everyone down.) The aggregate monthly caps are really just an easy to explain way of charging more for people who "use" the network more. (Even if they don't necessarily actually cost any more to provide the service to.)

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Tagra posted:

Yea no its fine. You can record 2 hd tv shows 1 sd channel and still have about 10mbit left over for internet, atleast thats what i have here on on that plan.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Sprawl posted:

Yea no its fine. You can record 2 hd tv shows 1 sd channel and still have about 10mbit left over for internet, atleast thats what i have here on on that plan.

If I remember correctly each active HD channel you watch knocks 5mbit off your speed. If you are in a location that allows up to 15mbit then you could watch 2 HD channels and still have 5mbit left to download.

I've also heard of people being in areas that allow 25mbit but their internet was set to max out at 15mbit and they were able to watch 2 HD channels without it affecting their internet (since they had that spare overhead that the line would use).

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I picked up the netgear WNDR3700 on sale from NCIX.

Now to wait for Novus to improve its rates so I don't have to buy shaw's 100Mbit plans. Hurry Novus, my ability to resist is limited! Nnngggggggggggggggg :negative:

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 16, 2011

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Part of a healthy and well-balanced diet.

Squibbles posted:

If I remember correctly each active HD channel you watch knocks 5mbit off your speed. If you are in a location that allows up to 15mbit then you could watch 2 HD channels and still have 5mbit left to download.

I've also heard of people being in areas that allow 25mbit but their internet was set to max out at 15mbit and they were able to watch 2 HD channels without it affecting their internet (since they had that spare overhead that the line would use).

An HD channel takes ~5.1Mb, while an SD does ~3.2Mb. If you've got Optik TV+regular internet, than your internet speeds would be up to 15Mbp/s (minus TV traffic). If you've got Optik TV + Optik Internet, than you'd get up to 25Mbp/s. It's essentially a combination of what your line is capable of and plus what package you choose. If you're lucky, you live in an ETTS/GPON/CityPlace area and get fiber, which is all kinds of awesome.

FYI, for those looking to get Telus, the actiontec gateways they've been giving out are god-awful pieces of crap. If you know you're way around routers, ask the installer to set you up with an ALU modem and use your own router for internet.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

random nickname posted:

FYI, for those looking to get Telus, the actiontec gateways they've been giving out are god-awful pieces of crap. If you know you're way around routers, ask the installer to set you up with an ALU modem and use your own router for internet.
There haven't been any ALU modems left for a long time now, unless you know something everyone else doesn't.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

random nickname posted:

I was actually wondering about modems. We have a WRT300N router that's solid, but we're still using a very very old D-Link modem that Telus gave us when we initially signed up with them something like 10 years ago. It's so old that it doesn't even have the Telus logo slapped on it.

It's still working just fine or I wouldn't be able to post this, but if I did get a new line upgrade and they send me a piece of poo poo combo modem/router that won't work with my WRT300N, can I use this incredibly old modem or will it poo poo itself trying to translate a higher speed DSL signal?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tagra posted:

I was actually wondering about modems. We have a WRT300N router that's solid, but we're still using a very very old D-Link modem that Telus gave us when we initially signed up with them something like 10 years ago. It's so old that it doesn't even have the Telus logo slapped on it.

It's still working just fine or I wouldn't be able to post this, but if I did get a new line upgrade and they send me a piece of poo poo combo modem/router that won't work with my WRT300N, can I use this incredibly old modem or will it poo poo itself trying to translate a higher speed DSL signal?

If your modem doesn't support VDSL, you'll need a new one for Optik.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Hey Mr TechSavvy Guy, any idea if/when you guys will be upping your offerings in Alberta?

6M down and a 300g cap isn't very compelling against the new Shaw offerings.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 17, 2011

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lone Rogue posted:

Especially since the place I wish I was living in is just 40 minutes away (Windsor).

Good lord, Chatham must be hell on earth.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

So my Telus DSL went from 15Mbps to 1.5Mbps. I called tech support and they don't seem to know what's wrong. He said he was going to send me a new SpeedTouch modem because the firmware is updated or something.

Anyone know what's wrong?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

random nickname posted:

I know nothing about modems and routers. Any chance of an explanation for this?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Argas posted:

I know nothing about modems and routers. Any chance of an explanation for this?

Basically the problem revolves around Network Address Translation, more commonly referred to as NAT. You get one public internet address which is held by your router. All internet traffic is received by your router, then the router determines where the traffic needs to go on your private network and sends it there.

Some modems, also act as NAT routers so you can plug more than one device into it, but they are generally very bad at their job. The suggestion is to ask for a modem that will provide the router of your choosing with a public internet address because having two NAT routers between you and the internet can be a configuration nightmare.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
There should be an option somewhere in the config to disable NATing and make the modem/router combination act only as a modem.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm completely modem and router illiterate, sorry. In general, how does this affect my connection?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

drcru posted:

So my Telus DSL went from 15Mbps to 1.5Mbps. I called tech support and they don't seem to know what's wrong. He said he was going to send me a new SpeedTouch modem because the firmware is updated or something.

Anyone know what's wrong?

Okay, I'm guessing my profile synced up by itself or someone fixed it at Telus. It's working again at normal speed. Still no clue what the hell happened...

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ensign Expendable posted:

There should be an option somewhere in the config to disable NATing and make the modem/router combination act only as a modem.

On the Actiontek, putting your other wireless router in the DMZ accomplishes the same thing. I've never had any problems with NAT going from an Actiontek to a Netgear Netgear WNR3500.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like my Telus Optik TV/Internet too, although I can only get 1 HD channel at a time. I've been meaning to call them up but it hasn't been enough of a bother to warrant potentially waiting on hold for a bit (plus I usually get home after they are gone for the day anyway) :effort:

Overall I'm paying about the same as what I paid for shaw cable internet (without tv) but getting some HD channels with a much, much better PVR.

I also disable the wireless on the actiontek and put my wireless router on the DMZ and it works fine, haven't had any probs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Argas posted:

I'm completely modem and router illiterate, sorry. In general, how does this affect my connection?

It makes it incredibly difficult to use any peer to peer applications, or anything that involves running a server on one of your machines.