Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Rain Brain posted:

So if people have had similar experiences of flying pets in the summer I'd like to hear what worked for you, or just any suggestions in general about how I can get them to DC in the safest manner while traveling alone myself.

If talking to the airline doesn't get you sorted out, you could try a service like this one. I don't know anything about them firsthand, but I vaguely remembered such a thing existed so I googled for you.

kissyboots13 posted:

What are people's thoughts on covered vs. open litterboxes? I think it is time for Pooka to get a bigger box, and since I live in a studio I was thinking perhaps one of those dome-covered boxes would keep the smell down. I feel like I've heard that some cats don't like them as much, though, so wanted to hear what people's experiences have been?

I have always used a covered litter box, mostly for aesthetic purposes. I like it. Since I have always used one, I can't speak to the smell issue. I have heard that some people prefer uncovered so that the smell can escape and dissipate quicker, rather than sitting in the litter box and creating a toxic corner in your apartment. Some also feel it's nicer for the cat so they don't have to hang around in the stink. YMMV, I guess.

One thing I might suggest if you decide to go with a covered one is to get a top entry one (or ghettorig a top entry one out of a rubbermaid container). It keeps down the litter that is tracked out or kicked out.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I found much less smell with an open box--you don't get nearly as much of a horrible poop-and-ammonia cave effect, as Eggplant Wizard describes.

VVV Same here. I love it, the cats love it. You can even get them in pretty colors and patterns!

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

One thing I might suggest if you decide to go with a covered one is to get a top entry one (or ghettorig a top entry one out of a rubbermaid container). It keeps down the litter that is tracked out or kicked out.

Mine is a rubbermaid container. I have never looked back, it is awesome.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
What would be causing my male cat to want to suck on my female cats scar from being spayed? He is purring while he does it, and when and stop and pull him away... he cries.

Dre also seems to like to spit out the hard food chucks that I try to mix in with the soft food, after he licks them clean of coarse. Does anyone have further suggestions to get them to be more willing to eat dry food? She seems to eat a little bit of dry food, but he pretty much wont touch it. I do not mind feeding wet food, but I'd like it if I could do a balance of both. They are both pretty close to 2.5 pounds, so maybe I'm just expecting them to eat more then they are.

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 16, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Vital Signs posted:

What would be causing my male cat to want to suck on my female cats scar from being spayed?

Is he trying to clean it, maybe? Or else it's near her nipples and he's trying to nurse off her? Maybe whatever ointment or iodine or whatever was smeared on it tastes good?

Or many he's a vampire cat and he is seeking sweet sweet blood.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Is he trying to clean it, maybe? Or else it's near her nipples and he's trying to nurse off her? Maybe whatever ointment or iodine or whatever was smeared on it tastes good?

Or many he's a vampire cat and he is seeking sweet sweet blood.
There isn't any ointment or anything on it. So I cannot figure out if he is cleaning it or trying to nurse, but I'm thinking it's the latter. Just curious if anyone has experience with this occurrence.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Lillehammer took to a covered box in no time, I just filled it with Cat Attract the first few times and make sure to keep it super clean. (I scoop out the clumps every day, plus a full litter change and scrubbing the inside of the box every week.) It's got a built in charcoal filter and vents, so it really doesn't stink much when I open it up.

I went covered because she throws her litter everywhere, this really cuts down on the mess. Placing the box on top of a cheap sisal mat works to catch anything she'd track, too.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

A top-entry box is a good idea... The one issue with Jackie is that she definitely tracks litter when she gets out of the box, and I've basically gotten used to just sweeping around the box every night, which isn't too bad. But a little rubber collection mat and/or a top-entry upgrade might work really well.

Also, any advice on what the best tool is to use to clip claws? Jackie's extremely polydactyl - 7 toes on each of her front paws. The issue with this is that she is very prone to ingrown claws in a couple of places, so every month or so I have to clip those ones down. And she absolute hates this - she'll yowl and squirm and cry even before I clip anything, mostly because she's just being a big baby about it. But the little pair of cheap-ish clippers I bought at a local pet store is a little dull and doesn't really work - is there any especially good brand/product I could order online or try to seek out specifically? I've heard that human toe-nail clippers actually work well, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I'd just like something that would be sharp enough so I could just clip them quickly and cleanly, so that she doesn't even have time to get upset about it. The ones I have just aren't really sharp enough, and I have to sort of squeeze pretty hard on them and don't even get a very clean cut at the end of it.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

It can be helpful to put the litterbox on a mat of sorts, as long as the mat isn't smooth--it can help keep litter from getting everywhere.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Hello here is my little cat Hettie sitting in one of her favorite places

What is up with her eyes? Those second eyelid things are pretty much always showing. She's a 10 month old rescue and vet man says it's something to do with being underweight so we're giving her plenty of extra food, but could it be something else?
She's got no problems eating and her eyes aren't gunky.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gender illusionist posted:

Hello here is my little cat Hettie sitting in one of her favorite places

What is up with her eyes? Those second eyelid things are pretty much always showing. She's a 10 month old rescue and vet man says it's something to do with being underweight so we're giving her plenty of extra food, but could it be something else?
She's got no problems eating and her eyes aren't gunky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nictitating_membrane

Us humans have it as well to a much lesser degree, since it's become vestigial in us. It's normal. My dog usually shows them when he's just waking up; think of it like your eyes being half-open.

DJ Sizzle
Jul 24, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT BEING OLD
Fun Shoe

kaworu posted:

A top-entry box is a good idea... The one issue with Jackie is that she definitely tracks litter when she gets out of the box, and I've basically gotten used to just sweeping around the box every night, which isn't too bad. But a little rubber collection mat and/or a top-entry upgrade might work really well.

Also, any advice on what the best tool is to use to clip claws? Jackie's extremely polydactyl - 7 toes on each of her front paws. The issue with this is that she is very prone to ingrown claws in a couple of places, so every month or so I have to clip those ones down. And she absolute hates this - she'll yowl and squirm and cry even before I clip anything, mostly because she's just being a big baby about it. But the little pair of cheap-ish clippers I bought at a local pet store is a little dull and doesn't really work - is there any especially good brand/product I could order online or try to seek out specifically? I've heard that human toe-nail clippers actually work well, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I'd just like something that would be sharp enough so I could just clip them quickly and cleanly, so that she doesn't even have time to get upset about it. The ones I have just aren't really sharp enough, and I have to sort of squeeze pretty hard on them and don't even get a very clean cut at the end of it.

Far and away the scissor styled ones are better than human clippers or guillotine style. Buy a nice pair online:
http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Professional-Trimmer-Small-Medium/dp/B0002RJM8C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308244415&sr=8-3

Clipping should be super smooth like butter, I barely have to press on these.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

DJ Sizzle posted:

Far and away the scissor styled ones are better than human clippers or guillotine style. Buy a nice pair online:
http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Professional-Trimmer-Small-Medium/dp/B0002RJM8C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308244415&sr=8-3

Ah, I have a pair like that but like I said, they ain't too high quality - only cost like $3, but they were the only kind I found at the pet store.

I'll grab one of those with my next Amazon order, though - if you vouch for those as being really sharp and smooth, that's good enough for me and I'll happily grab a pair :)

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Does everyone universally love the furminator? I ask because I didn't entirely think through my choice of feline companions and would have to buy 2 of those things -- 1 for long fur and 1 for short. Or could I get away with one for both?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Esmerelda posted:

Does everyone universally love the furminator? I ask because I didn't entirely think through my choice of feline companions and would have to buy 2 of those things -- 1 for long fur and 1 for short. Or could I get away with one for both?

I have one, probably for short hair but I never really checked. It certainly does take a lot of fur off. I should think you could get away with using the same one; the differences must be mostly marketing.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Trebuchet King posted:

It can be helpful to put the litterbox on a mat of sorts, as long as the mat isn't smooth--it can help keep litter from getting everywhere.

This one works pretty good. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00023XCYG Shadow likes to push almost all the litter to the front right corner of his box. He will spend 5-10 minutes arranging his litter before and after potty sessions and I'm not exaggerating. There's always a little pile sitting on it. Some of it get's onto the carpet but it does a fairly decent job of catching it and it's sooooooooo much better than how it was before I got it.

Can cats be OCD because I seriously think mine is with his litter.

DJ Sizzle posted:

I was afraid to order those because they look huge but I will go ahead and get them. The ones I have cut cleanly 50% of the time and sometimes crush the claws.

HandsomeBen fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 16, 2011

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well
Quote is not edit

Miss Squid
Jul 3, 2007
Anyone subscribe to any cat magazines? I used to get Cat Fancy, but it was boring and full of ads. I just subscribed to Catnip, a veterinary magazine. Anything else great out there that I don't know about?

DJ Sizzle
Jul 24, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT BEING OLD
Fun Shoe

kaworu posted:

Ah, I have a pair like that but like I said, they ain't too high quality - only cost like $3, but they were the only kind I found at the pet store.

I'll grab one of those with my next Amazon order, though - if you vouch for those as being really sharp and smooth, that's good enough for me and I'll happily grab a pair :)

Well I think part of the problem is all the stuff is chinese and not high quality to begin with, but a 15 dollar pair is gonna be a lot better than the $3 generally! lol. There are alot of variance with pet products I have found.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

WHY is this HAPPENING to me?!

lots of people posted:

Advice on litter boxes

Thanks! Pooka is definitely a big boy now and deserves a bigger litter box. Plus my studio apartment is small and odor control is a must. I think the Target one looks best, definitely going to see if they have it next time I stop by.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

kissyboots13 posted:

Thanks! Pooka is definitely a big boy now and deserves a bigger litter box. Plus my studio apartment is small and odor control is a must. I think the Target one looks best, definitely going to see if they have it next time I stop by.
Cat attract and worlds best have the best odor control imo

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
So my mother has been setting mousetraps in our basement for the cats; I found one and she admitted to it. I have two questions:

1. In general, are mousetraps powerful enough to fracture small bones?

2. Does this qualify as animal cruelty and, if so, about how far down my mother's throat should I jump?

I'm going to scour the basement tomorrow to look for more.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
... she set out mouse traps to catch your cats?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Uh, OK I potentially have a problem here. Earlier today, fat kitty managed to steal Da Bird and was found on the floor gnawing on it.

When I took it away from him, I realized he had Da Bird, and the rod was nearby, but the string connecting the two was nowhere to be found.

It may be hidden somewhere, but I'm really afraid the fat dummy ate it. What in particular should I be looking out for here?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Raimundus posted:

So my mother has been setting mousetraps in our basement for the cats; I found one and she admitted to it. I have two questions:

1. In general, are mousetraps powerful enough to fracture small bones?

2. Does this qualify as animal cruelty and, if so, about how far down my mother's throat should I jump?

I'm going to scour the basement tomorrow to look for more.

Ok if she is setting up mousetraps to..uh get them to set off on your cats? Yes they could break or fracture small bones and that is just terrible. Mousetraps are designed to break the necks of mice so it's a quick, easy death and the mouse doesn't suffer. If I recall I've heard of human toes accidentally getting broken in mousetraps.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Kerfuffle posted:

Ok if she is setting up mousetraps to..uh get them to set off on your cats? Yes they could break or fracture small bones and that is just terrible. Mousetraps are designed to break the necks of mice so it's a quick, easy death and the mouse doesn't suffer. If I recall I've heard of human toes accidentally getting broken in mousetraps.

Fiskiggy posted:

... she set out mouse traps to catch your cats?

She's obsessed with keeping them off of certain furniture for some reason. I found this particular trap on top of our spare fridge in the basement. Since I have never seen a mouse in our house in ten years living there, I assumed the worst and brought the trap to her. As I expected, she told me it was for the cats.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
Wow, try to be constructive and suggest SSSCAT or some other way of keeping cats away that has a chance of actually working in addition to not injuring your cats. Closing the door to your basement?

Rockets
Nov 8, 2003
Fitness is rocket science :smith:
Once again, thanks for all of your help with Pony's pill-taking problems. She's finished all her medication and hasn't shown any signs of sickness, at all, yay! Here she is being adorable:

I have a question about hairballs. My older cat has been hacking one up since last night. I'm 95% certain it's a hairball and not a sickness cough. He seems to almost get it up but then swallow it again? Is there anything I can do to help him get this up, or do I need to just wait it out? I read online that giving him a little butter or fish oil will help with prevention, but he doesn't really have a chronic problem - he's only had maybe three since I've had him (2 years). Just wondering if you guys had any tips for stubborn hairballs.

Here he is being adorable:

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I made a cat tree for my pair of cats after deciding that buying one pre-built was ludicrously expensive for what amounts to some carpet, wood and sisal. The only problem is that they seem to just stare at it for a few minutes before deciding to ignore it completely for another few days. Neither of them have ever shown much interest in catnip, so I am wondering if there is anything else I could do to entice them towards it.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You just can't win with cats, you'll have to put down a big sack of cash for another cat tree. Then they'll ignore that one and start using the one you made.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
So Figaro likes me again. He's still occasionally sniffling and sneezing but he's definitely happier. He even played with Watson this morning (though when Watson pounced back he re-thought this whole playing business and decided on napping instead.) Hopefully he doesn't just give the cold back to Watson who then gives it back to him etc. and so on, that would suck.

The bright side of all of this, I found an awesome vet. He's a bit further out than the one I went to when I got Figaro but this guy actually called me back this weekend with some tips on how to make Figgy happier. He also checked up on him Tuesday then again Thursday. It seems like he actually gives a drat if my cats are healthy, I like that in a vet.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Uh, OK I potentially have a problem here. Earlier today, fat kitty managed to steal Da Bird and was found on the floor gnawing on it.

When I took it away from him, I realized he had Da Bird, and the rod was nearby, but the string connecting the two was nowhere to be found.

It may be hidden somewhere, but I'm really afraid the fat dummy ate it. What in particular should I be looking out for here?

48 hours later, no sign of distress, and is actually more active and playful than his usual fat, lazy self. Is it too early to quit worrying about it?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Is it too early to quit worrying about it?
Yes. Just continue to keep an eye on him. Luckily with foreign body problems, there will almost always be symptoms before it's too late, so just be vigilant. If there's any vomiting, straining in the litter box, lethargy, not eating, or anything out of the ordinary, go straight to the vet (and be mentally prepared to spend a bunch of money to save his dumb rear end).

One of my cats has eaten more random crap than I can recall. Typically with strings, he vomits them up after a disturbing amount of time has passed -- like 3-5 days after ingestion, but sometimes even a week. Strings don't exactly move through the GI tract as efficiently as food. I stop worrying when the string comes out, and he continues to act normal. Stupid cats. :argh:

Get in the house!
Feb 6, 2011

Can I come in?
No.
Alright so. I got a Kitten last week. She's been here a week now and she's comfortable in the house and with me.

Two things.

First: When is she going to stop being a little poo poo. She's not a mean little poo poo, she's adorably playful but in the process of being playful she's being a little poo poo. She's rambunctious and claws everything while playing.

Second: When is she going to figure out the claws can retract. I know Kittens don't know how to retract their claws and they eventually figure it out, but any eta on when that usually happens? It wouldn't normally be a problem if it wasn't summer here and I didn't sleep half naked and she didn't run all over me with her claws out at 5am meowing GET UP GET UP GET UP THE SUN IS OUT OH MY GOD GET UP.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Get in the house! posted:

Alright so. I got a Kitten last week. She's been here a week now and she's comfortable in the house and with me.

Two things.

First: When is she going to stop being a little poo poo. She's not a mean little poo poo, she's adorably playful but in the process of being playful she's being a little poo poo. She's rambunctious and claws everything while playing.

Second: When is she going to figure out the claws can retract. I know Kittens don't know how to retract their claws and they eventually figure it out, but any eta on when that usually happens? It wouldn't normally be a problem if it wasn't summer here and I didn't sleep half naked and she didn't run all over me with her claws out at 5am meowing GET UP GET UP GET UP THE SUN IS OUT OH MY GOD GET UP.

First: she's a kitten. It's kitten law to be as awful as possible. Get a water bottle and squirt her when she claws something. She won't stop being a poo poo until at least a year old. My two year old still acts like a poo poo most of the time

Second: I've never heard of that. I've never seen it in a kitten old enough to be away from its mother. How old is it

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 20, 2011

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Get in the house! posted:

2-3 years. Maybe 4. Have fun!

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Abbeh posted:

2-3 years. Maybe 4. Have fun!
That sounds about right (mine are 2 1/2 and 3 -- they're still obnoxious little shits half the time.)

To be more helpful, kittens are assholes. They camouflage this glaring flaw with insane amounts of cuteness. Do not fall for their ruse!

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010
Hey so I adopted this 8 year old obese orange tabby and he's a sweetheart and I love him! I really wish I had a camera to show him off.

However he likes to sleep in his litter box and it's pretty gross. I have a bed and a cat canopy and a few nice cardboard boxes, but he always chills out in the litterbox when I'm not around. It's even worse when he tries to cuddle with me at night, and I get a face full of used kitty litter. I feel really bad having to keep shoving him off my bed because he's the most affectionate and loving cat I've ever met.

My mom says to cut his access to the litter box until he needs it, but I'm pretty sure that'd be animal cruelty. Is there any other way to work him out of this without making him also afraid of using the litter box?

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Dabbo posted:

Hey so I adopted this 8 year old obese orange tabby and he's a sweetheart and I love him! I really wish I had a camera to show him off.

However he likes to sleep in his litter box and it's pretty gross. I have a bed and a cat canopy and a few nice cardboard boxes, but he always chills out in the litterbox when I'm not around. It's even worse when he tries to cuddle with me at night, and I get a face full of used kitty litter. I feel really bad having to keep shoving him off my bed because he's the most affectionate and loving cat I've ever met.

My mom says to cut his access to the litter box until he needs it, but I'm pretty sure that'd be animal cruelty. Is there any other way to work him out of this without making him also afraid of using the litter box?

There's a few things that could cause this: he has a health problem that needs attention, the cat isn't confident in your home yet, or something could be stressing him out (like another animal in your home). You should take him to the vet you plan to use anyway, just for a check-up and a visit, so get this checked out as soon as you can.

Once you've ruled out a health problem, do what you can to help him feel a little more secure while he's adjusting. Make sure he has plenty of places to hide, including a cat tree. See if you can get him to play with some cat toys with you. He may just need a little more time to gain his confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

48 hours later, no sign of distress, and is actually more active and playful than his usual fat, lazy self. Is it too early to quit worrying about it?

When I got my cats I had it hammered into me that linear foreign bodies like string were A Big loving Deal, and were grounds for immediate emergency vet trips. It's never happened but I freak out about it all the time.

Raimundus posted:

She's obsessed with keeping them off of certain furniture for some reason. I found this particular trap on top of our spare fridge in the basement. Since I have never seen a mouse in our house in ten years living there, I assumed the worst and brought the trap to her. As I expected, she told me it was for the cats.

Your mother is terrible and I would not just let that go with a "Oh crazy Mom!". I would worry about leaving my cats in the house with her if that happened to me. She's setting traps on purpose to injure your cats, that's insane.