Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I've complained about this before but I am sick and tired of people not handing me their money and instead either a) setting it on the belt so it gets eaten and I have to dig through disgusting crumbs and dust and poo poo to try and find it and then risk not finding it all and having to ask the customer for more money b) setting it on the check writing stand thing which is like 4ft away from me and since I'm short, it's very hard to reach, or c) throwing it into the area where the put the groceries for loading. I'm not diseased, I don't have cooties, I'm not a leper, what is wrong with people? If I'm busy doing something else, it's one thing, and even then, be PATIENT and wait until I have my hands free so you can hand me the change. BUT WHEN I HAVE MY HAND EXTENDED IN YOUR DIRECTION, PALM FLAT, READY TO TAKE THE MONEY AND YOU loving THROW IT DOWN AT ME, gently caress YOU BUDDY I HOPE YOU GET INTO A VERY SERIOUS ACCIDENT ON THE WAY HOME. AND DIE. A PAINFUL DEATH.
I've either begun telling people, "I don't have cooties, you can put the money in my hand." or when I go to hand them their change and receipt, I put it as far away as is inconvenient for them. No respect for me, no respect for you.

Also I've missed two days of work due to a serious illness. I had some pretty drat good hours this week before this popped up, about 30 from taking 3 extra shifts. I missed 13 hours of work in two days. And next week isn't any better, I have 17 hours lolol i hate my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010

silversiren posted:

I've complained about this before but I am sick and tired of people not handing me their money

I love when I have my hand out and people just put their money or credit card right beneath my hand. If they do this, I try to touch their hand slightly when they get their change/card back.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

silversiren posted:

I don't have cooties

silversiren posted:

I've missed two days of work due to a serious illness.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Halisnacks posted:

It isn't cooties though, nor anything contagious. It's neuological in origin. Plus this has happened before I've ever gotten sick.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
People are the laziest fucks. They will literally do everything to avoid taking any effort, even if it ends up being more effort for them to do this.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

spankmeister posted:

What happens if instead of telling them that (i.e. the truth) you just teall them you don't know.

I've done this before and you get looked at like you're the stupidest loving person in the world and then they ask for your manager.

It's one of the shittiest looks of contempt you can get from customers and I would always get nervous when saying it because it could be a HUGE blow up.

I really think I had PTS from some days after a long shift. I never want to go back. I actually quit my training as a ticket seller for the local theater because I just couldn't deal with the idea of talking to anymore stupid and rude people.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 16, 2011

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

silversiren posted:

I am sick and tired of people not handing me their money

I hear you. Several times today I had to lift up the till to collect all the coins people had somehow shoved under it. I'm not even sure they're doing it for dubious sanitary reasons, because many of them just dump their (probably kind of gross) money on the food scales next to the till instead, even while we're actually weighing something for another customer.

On the other hand, I also hate it when I'm still ringing things up or putting them in bags and a customer thrusts a note in my face, then shakes it to get my attention when I don't immediately take it. I really do appreciate that you took less than half an hour to dig your wallet out of your bag but it's not like I'm gonna forget to take your money if you don't give it to me right this instant.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Volcano posted:

On the other hand, I also hate it when I'm still ringing things up or putting them in bags and a customer thrusts a note in my face, then shakes it to get my attention when I don't immediately take it. I really do appreciate that you took less than half an hour to dig your wallet out of your bag but it's not like I'm gonna forget to take your money if you don't give it to me right this instant.

Yes, this too. It doesn't happen quite as often but still.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
Oh I love money being shoved at me. I loving stock vending machines, stick it in the goddamn bill acceptor. I just want to get in and out ASAP, buy your poo poo the other 39 hours you are there!!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Please retail employees, stop looking at me like I'm Jesus when I respond to your routine "How are you?" greeting with something like "Not too bad, how about you?" It only serves to let me know that assholes have been making GBS threads on you all day :smith:.

uptown
May 16, 2009

silversiren posted:

[snip]... when I go to hand them their change and receipt, I put it as far away as is inconvenient for them. No respect for me, no respect for you.

I do this. Money on my counter means that your change is getting tossed at you. gently caress, how is it that hard to HAND SOMEONE YOUR loving MONEY?

As I have mentioned before in this thread, I think, H&M currently has us wearing staff shirts 3/7 days a week. It used to be 4/7 but we complained so much that a day got cut off of it. Anyways, these shirts are in orange, yellow, or pink (for girls) and blue (for boys). So, pretty bright. To add onto that, they say STAFF on the back of them. I've still gotten the "Do you work here?" bullshit a bunch, and whiles that annoys me to no end, I had someone ask me, "Did you get your shirt at this store?" whiles I was helping them. What. The. gently caress.

I also had my first date offer from a customer the other day! I'm in a happy relationship, and regardless of that, the fucker touched my arm where I am tattooed. I am NOT public property, fuckstick. Do NOT touch me. Uuuuugh, it makes me cringe that people think they're entitled to make physical contact with a stranger who they don't even know!

Okay, and one more for now... My best friend used to work at my store before I started there, and he was gone to Spain for 9 months. I stole his name badge and wear it because a) I don't want random customers addressing me by name, and b) I miss him. Anyhow, I was at the cashpoint the other day and a man angrily asked me, "Brett? BRETT!? Your name is Brett!?" I responded with "It is when I'm at work," because really, wtf. What if my parents did name me Brett, rear end in a top hat?

threnody_grey
Jun 27, 2010

uptown posted:

Anyhow, I was at the cashpoint the other day and a man angrily asked me, "Brett? BRETT!? Your name is Brett!?" I responded with "It is when I'm at work," because really, wtf. What if my parents did name me Brett, rear end in a top hat?

That's another reason why I hate wearing a name tag - people stare at it and decide that they have free reign to analyze it. The sheer amount of people in their late teens to early-30s that ask me if I know I have a stripper name is loving ridiculous. It hasn't happened this week yet since I've been working days and that's just basically old people, kids, and stay-at-home moms/dads, but I can nearly guarantee it'll happen at least 3 times when I work Saturday night. Or they'll make bad pop music jokes, like I haven't heard them a million times before. gently caress name tags. gently caress them HARD.

threnody_grey fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 17, 2011

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I had a customer say something like "Hey 'Scott' where are your <things>" and I noticed she had a name tag on from something so I responded "Well 'Marcy' they're right over there "

She got a disgusted look on her face and RIPPED the badge lanyard off her neck and jammed it in her pocket as if saying "HOW DARE YOU USE MY NAME, PEON! "

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Tonight an unbearably pretentious hipster girl came to my work and asked me where the non-fiction section was. (Booksellers: right?) Then she was a snotty condescending bitch because we didn't have the out-of-print-since-1987 criticism of "Ulysses" she was looking for. Then she asked me for a job application.

I sure hope I'm around when she brings it back. Welcome to not getting hired, population YOU.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

spite house posted:

Tonight an unbearably pretentious hipster girl came to my work and asked me where the non-fiction section was. (Booksellers: right?)

Ugh.

Customer :haw: - "Wheres the non-fiction section?"

Me :shepface: - *Points at the fiction/romance/mystery/horror section* Fiction. *Sweeps arms over the rest of the store* Non-fiction.

5 minutes later.

:haw: - "I'm looking for a book. I don't know the title or author or what it is about. But I think the cover was black!"

:shepicide:

Did eventually find the book, the color of the cover was white.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
I'm in the UK and I've never had a problem with either telling a customer an alternative store to my current workplace for them to find something, or indeed with asking someone in a store for an alternative. Maybe I've just gotten lucky.

I'm right there with all of you about the handing over money thing. Whenever I told someone their total and held my hand out (in a polite manner, you know, as their hand was approaching with the money), if they went on to purposefully avoid my hand to put the cash down on the counter they'd get a good few seconds of unimpressed stare before I'd pick it up.

This reminds me of another thing that used to annoy me. I tended to change what I'd say to customers each transaction, so as not to go completely bonkers over eight or nine hours. So sometimes I'd say "Okay sir, that comes to £20" or sometimes "That'll be £20 please", things like that. I'd always say thankyou when they gave me their payment. What used to piss me off was the number of times I'd say "Alrighty, that comes to £20" and the customer would get lovely because I didn't say please. If I was in a bad mood I'd usually tell them it was a statement not a request, although that got me in trouble more than once.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I swear, sometimes I think this thread's in an opposite dimension. I'm super nice to employees, I greet them, say hi, say please, smile, thank them, say its ok if they don't know, use as most 3 coupons at a time.

And all I get is a glare, grunt, and walk away. Or they don't even look at me.

I swear I have no deformities or anything. :smith:

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Rurutia posted:

I swear, sometimes I think this thread's in an opposite dimension. I'm super nice to employees, I greet them, say hi, say please, smile, thank them, say its ok if they don't know, use as most 3 coupons at a time.

Vicious cycle effect. Customers treat employees like poo poo, which turns into employees treating customers like poo poo. Ad nauseum.

I don't remember a lot of the people who were nice to me when I worked retail, but I remember almost all of the assholes. If I'm being helped/rung up by a grumpy retail employee I just let it slide. I've been in the same position enough to know it can get demoralizing for a person.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rurutia posted:

Rural areas tend to have happier retail employees because they can maintain a decent quality of life compared to their urban counterparts. You can still rent a nice two bedroom apartment for $400/mo where I grew up.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Robzor McFabulous posted:

This reminds me of another thing that used to annoy me. I tended to change what I'd say to customers each transaction, so as not to go completely bonkers over eight or nine hours. So sometimes I'd say "Okay sir, that comes to £20" or sometimes "That'll be £20 please", things like that. I'd always say thankyou when they gave me their payment. What used to piss me off was the number of times I'd say "Alrighty, that comes to £20" and the customer would get lovely because I didn't say please. If I was in a bad mood I'd usually tell them it was a statement not a request, although that got me in trouble more than once.

I've only had this happen to me once but it was not fun.

:j: Okay, that comes to £5.20 overall.
:witch: £5.20 please.
:j: Sorry?
:witch: In England, we say please!

Then she glared at me and refused to pay until I repeated the statement with a "please". Well, you held up the line and now all the other customers are staring at me, but thanks for correcting my lovely colonial manners.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Volcano posted:

I've only had this happen to me once but it was not fun.

:j: Okay, that comes to £5.20 overall.
:witch: £5.20 please.
:j: Sorry?
:witch: In England, we say please!

Then she glared at me and refused to pay until I repeated the statement with a "please". Well, you held up the line and now all the other customers are staring at me, but thanks for correcting my lovely colonial manners.

In my fantasy world I would send that person to the back of the line to think about what a dick they are.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

The General posted:

In my fantasy world I would send that person to the back of the line to think about what a dick they are.

"Ah, I see. <voids transaction, shuffles items into restock cart/pile> Next *customer*, please."

Yeah, it's probably a good think I'm not in retail (as yet).

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Rurutia posted:

I have literally never worked at or patronized a retail establishment where this was the norm. I've occasionally had trouble finding someone to help me, and once in awhile a worker is clearly having a bad day, but I've never experienced such universal contempt as a customer.

Maybe this is a geography/local culture thing. Where are you?

[e: Perception is a huge part of this, I think. Last night I was straightening the store and pretty absorbed in my task. I'd just hit a rough section of shelf, which was going to take a lot of work to sort out, when I heard a barely-perceptible "ahem" behind me. It was a customer who had apparently been waiting for me to notice her for quite some time, and she was pretty irritated about it -- I'm sure that she thought I was being mean and ignoring her on purpose. But she hadn't announced her presence AT ALL, just snuck up and waited. I apologized profusely. She was still kinda pissed. I don't even know.]

spite house fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 17, 2011

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
I work in an office, reading this thread has made me realize one thing. It is not necessarily that people are any worse in a retail store so much as you are powerless to do anything for fear of being written/losing your job. I had someone stop me just yesterday when I asked if I could assign an issue to them and they did the stupid 'Could you please assign an issue to me?'. Except instead of having to put up with their condescending attitude (I religious use please and thank you when ordering, but not when I'm asking if I can assign an issue at work to someone) you can essentially tell someone to gently caress off as long as you don't use those exact words.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I hate my job :negativeman:

I only get about 10 MAYBE 15 hours a week if I'm lucky!! I transfered stores back in March since my previous store closed, but there I was getting 20-30 hours a week. But now at this new store, it's no hours and everyone treating me like I don't know poo poo. I've been with this company for nearly three years! I know how to do all the register bullshit! You don't need to treat me like an idiot!

Man this is really ranty. :( I'm just unhappy with my work and the fact that I live in loving MICHIGAN which means finding another job is nearly impossible.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
So, last night I had to read some printouts of some of the feedback from customer surveys that print out with every fifth receipt. The #1 complaint was being unable to receive help due to "associates being aware I'm in the store but not approaching." Note that this is selected from a list of possible complaints, so it's not people writing it in.

Customers will wander around on days where the store is full of workers and not approach a single drat one of them to ask for help. These people are too lazy to ask nicely (or even rudely) for help and suddenly it's our problem! I just can't understand this mentality. If you need help finding something, go up to one of the people in uniform and loving ask! I've had to scold adults because they climb on ladders and poo poo, and they always say "well I couldn't find someone to help me." You didn't look. Four people on the floor to help, and you could always go to the cashier and she can page someone over. Customers are lazy morons who won't put in any effort to do anything, but complain when they don't get what they want.

Also, #2 complaint was that the cashier those particular customers had was rude and inexperienced. They gave her name in the comments section. She's a front-end supervisor who has been working there almost two years.
:ughh:

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

cobalt impurity posted:

Customers will wander around on days where the store is full of workers and not approach a single drat one of them to ask for help. These people are too lazy to ask nicely (or even rudely) for help and suddenly it's our problem! I just can't understand this mentality. If you need help finding something, go up to one of the people in uniform and loving ask! I've had to scold adults because they climb on ladders and poo poo, and they always say "well I couldn't find someone to help me." You didn't look. Four people on the floor to help, and you could always go to the cashier and she can page someone over. Customers are lazy morons who won't put in any effort to do anything, but complain when they don't get what they want.

"But I LOOKED like I needed help, you should have come over and assisted me!!"

e: Heh, just remembered. For some reason there's been a trend of people using the coin machine at the front of the store, gathering a bunch of groceries, coming to checkout and then thrusting the coin machine receipt into my face as though they want to use it. It says clearly in big, huge, bold lettering at the bottom "NOT REDEEMABLE FOR CASH" which means you CANNOT use it to buy your groceries. People get pissed the gently caress off when I tell them this and I'm not sure why. Why are you pissed at me because you can't read?
Usually I just pawn them off to customer service so they can deal with it. It's really funny when they tell the customer the same thing, only they can do it in more condescending terms because they have more job security than I do.

copy of a fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 17, 2011

The General
Mar 4, 2007

You can't use those coin machines to buy your groceries? Why not? I'm not redeeming it for cash, I'm redeeming it for groceries. :psyduck:

Edit: What the hell do you use the receipt for then? To show you exactly how much change you just lost?

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

cobalt impurity posted:

So, last night I had to read some printouts of some of the feedback from customer surveys that print out with every fifth receipt. The #1 complaint was being unable to receive help due to "associates being aware I'm in the store but not approaching." Note that this is selected from a list of possible complaints, so it's not people writing it in.
There are these people, and there are the people who get really REALLY UPSET because they've been greeted and asked if they needed help by LIKE SEVEN OF YOU IDIOTS and they're JUST TRYING TO GET THEIR SHOPPING DONE IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK THAT THEY BE LEFT ALONE WHILE THEY SHOP IF THEY NEEDED HELP THEY'D ASK FOR IT NOW GO AWAAAAAYYYYYYY :supaburn:

Your store should put a "associates were intrusive and wouldn't let me shop in peace" field on the survey and see what happens.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

The General posted:

You can't use those coin machines to buy your groceries? Why not? I'm not redeeming it for cash, I'm redeeming it for groceries. :psyduck:

Edit: What the hell do you use the receipt for then? To show you exactly how much change you just lost?

You can redeem it for cash, but not at the register. You have to go to customer service for that, there's like 5 signs on our machine alone that says that.

quote:

fake edit: I mean, yes.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

alreadybeen posted:

It is not necessarily that people are any worse in a retail store so much as you are powerless to do anything for fear of being written/losing your job.

This, except some (a lot) of people will act worse because they know you are powerless. That was the thing that always drove me nuts when working in restaurants and retail - the jackasses that took advantage of the knowledge that there is a large gap between someone who is acting like a dick and what a retail employee can safely treat as someone acting like a dick. Being powerless to react like an actual human being is what is so soul-crushing about retail.

The people that act like jerks because they know it's your job to put up with it are what suck the most about any kind of job that brings you into contact with the general public, with spineless management that enables that behavior a close second.

chokeandstroke
Jun 4, 2011
Ugh, I absolutely loathe retail. I work at a local Safeway as a bagger/janitor/cart-retrieval-technician/shelver and it loving sucks. I'm pretty much at the bottom of the totem pole, both in terms of seniority and rank. Some supervisors actually look down on me, which I find offensive since they're generally ugly old women who haven't accomplished anything in their lives besides making GBS threads all over it. And the customers treat me like trash too.

Yesterday, some jackass tried picking a fight with me. I was just going around the store, half an hour before the end of my shift, returning things on shelf when this fat, red-faced rear end in a top hat comes out of nowhere:

:argh:: WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM?!
:confused:: Uh, excuse me sir?
:argh:: I SAID, WHAT'S YOUR loving PROBLEM?!

He looked pretty drunk and he was pushing around a cart with a baby in it. His girlfriend or whatever comes up and asks him what's wrong. Apparently, he took offense at me passing by him several times while I was putting things back on shelf. That's it. He didn't need help finding something and I hadn't said a word to him while I was doing my thing. I guess he thought that I thought he was shoplifting or something. In any case, it wasn't a pleasant experience since he was a pretty big guy and for whatever reason, the store was too cheap to hire security guards to cover our rear end from theft and assault. I pretty much hid in the back until the jerkoff finished shopping and left the store.

I hate my job and this experience is the proverbial last straw. I'm handing in my two weeks notice today and I'm going to find a job that doesn't involve dealing with customers face-to-face.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

cobalt impurity posted:

Also, #2 complaint was that the cashier those particular customers had was rude and inexperienced. They gave her name in the comments section. She's a front-end supervisor who has been working there almost two years.
:ughh:

Where do you work, I would love this. Employees hanging around not approaching me but there when I need assistance. I hate being asked if I need help finding things multiple times. If I need help, I'll ask.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

alreadybeen posted:

Where do you work, I would love this. Employees hanging around not approaching me but there when I need assistance. I hate being asked if I need help finding things multiple times. If I need help, I'll ask.

You would hate it, then. Company policy mandates that we greet everyone with a "hello" or something at the very least. We're also supposed to ask every single person if they need help. Before the policy was changed, we were also supposed to ask them why they were in the store, what project they were working on, really invasive poo poo like that. I can guarantee the policy was changed due to customer complaints, not to mention it slowed down all of us on truck days when we had to interview every single person who walked by for fear of being written up by secret shoppers.

Worthy of note is that the date-of-visit on all those surveys were days I wasn't working. :smugdog:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The customer service survey scores have been red in our department for a while despite us providing way over the top excellent service. So as punishment we are being secret shopped every weekend. A week or so ago a secret shopper walked around the whole store and out of every employee in the Super-Target, I was one of only two that actually acknowledged he was there, and the only one he said was friendly. He even wrote down that I was exceptionally friendly and knowledgeable and that he learned some new things. :smug:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The working world sucks. "The man" literally sits and watches you, waiting for any gently caress up at all. You could be a loving rockstar 99.99% of the time, but that one time you miss your mark it's just "What the gently caress are you doing? Do you wan't to keep working here? Smarten up!"

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
In other words, secret shoppers are completely worthless as a mechanism for determining quality in customer service.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

The General posted:

The working world sucks. "The man" literally sits and watches you, waiting for any gently caress up at all. You could be a loving rockstar 99.99% of the time, but that one time you miss your mark it's just "What the gently caress are you doing? Do you wan't to keep working here? Smarten up!"

It's only retail and McJobs this happens in, to be honest. Once you get a real job it's immediately different. "The man" in this situation is retail middle managers, who have a deadly combination of a tiny bit of power, and increasing resentment over their staff, who are often bright, ambitious students with a future, working in poo poo jobs to pay their way through college.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/18/target-union-idUSN1826202820110618

:negative:

It's poo poo like this that allows retail workers to be treated like poo poo.

The whole culture of living in perpetual terror of management is the absolute worst part of the whole thing.

I'm so glad I don't work retail anymore.

cobalt impurity posted:

You would hate it, then. Company policy mandates that we greet everyone with a "hello" or something at the very least.

Greeting everyone within X time or Y feet of the store entrance is fine. It does a few things, most notably, it signals to customers as they walk in what an employee looks like (by allowing them to associate the uniform with 'that guy works here!'), and has a noticeable and measurable impact on reducing theft.

Requiring continued harassment of customers once they are actually in the store though, is one of the management policies that used to drive me bonkers.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

miscellaneous14 posted:

In other words, secret shoppers are completely worthless as a mechanism for determining quality in customer service.

Not for me. I always got 5 stars every single time :smug:

But really it was because I could spot them. In the smut shop the secret shoppers were always retired cops. Easy to spot because they all had 70s mustaches and high-and-tight haircuts.