Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Xerin posted:

I'm learning how to paint and recently have been doing grey knights. What happens when you brush slips with a metallic and runs over the lettering, making the letters unrecognizable? Do you have to strip the entire thing or is there some kind of quick fix to it.

When I slip with a brush, I immediately rinse the brush in water to get the paint off. Then I lightly touch the watery brush to the paint to saturate it. Dry the brush off on a paper towel (don't use the paper towel on the model!), then use the brush to soak up the watery paint. Repeat, adding water to the paint then mopping it up until the mistake is removed.

You may still have to touch up some spots of paint, but if the coat beneath your fuckup is dry then you can erase mis-strokes pretty easily.

The caveat is that (like in your case) metallics can get a little stupid. The aluminum flakes can run with the water, so you have to be careful how much water you use and how you hold the model to prevent unwanted runoff. Citadel metallics clean up pretty easily (you'll still have to recoat the undercolor afterwards), but if you gently caress up with a Vallejo then you may as well just let it dry. Attempting to water down and clean up VMC/VGC metallics will leave you with the sparkliest damned model you've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Chet AwesomeLaser posted:

Finally got to painting again after a month and a half break due to moving and did this last night. Time to finish that box of Kans :orks:

How'd you do that blood? Looks rad

Also your av is great

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

crime fighting hog posted:

Seconding the question. Need to paint an assassin's dagger.

Also:

Ashcans posted:

*nice War Walker with no barrels*
What's your excuse? I'm going all :psyduck: why someone who can paint well doesn't even paint the barrels.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Looks like a hula skirt that way round. It always makes me laugh seeing Kans with that bit on because all I can think of is a Kan thrusting someone to death.

Which is hilarious. Nicely painted.

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...
/\/\/\/\/\ That's why I did it that way :v: I plan on having a crushed and cut up IG on the base just behind him.

Also your av is great

It's Tamiya clear red with a dab of Chaos Black, it stays wet looking long after it dries. I read about it on that Massive Voodoo site.

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/05/tutorial-how-to-paint-blood.html

Chet AwesomeLaser fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 17, 2011

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

/\/\/\/\/\ That's why I did it that way :v: I plan on having a crushed and cut up IG on the base just behind him.

It's Tamiya clear red with a dab of Chaos Black, it stays wet looking long after it dries. I read about it on that Massive Voodoo site.

Wonderful! I'll see if I can use it on something. Remember folks: less is more.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Remember folks: less is more.

*covers model in red ink*

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

poo poo, I was thinking it was Blood Red with Blazing Orange highlight and a white specular.

But it turns out you're not as good a painter as I was going to give credit for! :v:

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

poo poo, I was thinking it was Blood Red with Blazing Orange highlight and a white specular.

But it turns out you're not as good a painter as I was going to give credit for! :v:

:ohdear: My secret is out!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for the blood!

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Ahhh another amazing Tamiya paint.
I'll have to grab a pot of this next weekend when I go to Brookhurst hobbies. I was painting the blood drops on my Konrad Von Karstein and it took ages to get the blood looking right.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It'll be a while before I finish this, but holy poo poo do I love goofy Realms of Chaos era Chaos.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

moths posted:

It'll be a while before I finish this, but holy poo poo do I love goofy Realms of Chaos era Chaos.

How could you call that anything but loving awesome?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

A question to owners of Stormravens/Valkyries when it comes to transportation, what's the best way to make the base removable? Do you gents magnetize it or is there an alternative option?

Just spotted the removable X slot. :downs:

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 17, 2011

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Now armed with four eBay'd resin boneswords, I delve into model conversion of my Finecast Hive Tyrant:

Almost time to lord over swarms!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Pierzak posted:

What's your excuse? I'm going all :psyduck: why someone who can paint well doesn't even paint the barrels.

I was going to make up some sweet excuse about how lasers don't use barrels and the crystal focusing matrix is solid or whatever, but the truth is that I just totally blanked on doing anything about them until I had finished and photographed it. I'm going to go back and do something when I get around to painting the other two members of the squad.

My excuse is that we just had our first kid, so my life is sort of blur of poop and pee and tons of tiny clothes and there isn't much time or brain power left for hams.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Hi, I'm an internet painting tutorial. Today I am going to teach you to do yellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPuoKJY0MdY

Pro. Painted.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

moths posted:

how do I get this head TELL ME

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Hi, I'm an internet painting tutorial. Today I am going to teach you to do yellow.

Pro. Painted.

That god damned music.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Pro. Painted.

That has to be the worst tutorial. From the spelling errors in the wordsplashes, the missing photos between steps, the fact that he lists all these different paints in the beginning and uses a grand total of four, and the, unique, choice of music.
The. Worst.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Glad you dig it! It's one of the original Blood Thirster heads, which are infinitely cooler than the lovely ones he has now. I have the giga-kaiser helmet one too, but I like my baby 'thirster too much to tear him apart.

Also trying to fix the terrible pose. I'm not sold on this yet, but I like it more than the horrible non-action pose GW always sticks him in.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

moths posted:

Glad you dig it! It's one of the original Blood Thirster heads, which are infinitely cooler than the lovely ones he has now. I have the giga-kaiser helmet one too, but I like my baby 'thirster too much to tear him apart.

Also trying to fix the terrible pose. I'm not sold on this yet, but I like it more than the horrible non-action pose GW always sticks him in.

The whip crossing through the axe I'm not a fan of, but the pose is very brooding and threatening.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Could anyone show me some pictures of Cadians with grey armor and/or give me tips on a color scheme? I want them to at least sort of match my Steel Legion vehicles which will be Adeptus Battlegrey. Adeptus Battlegrey seems a little dark on Cadians so I tried a 50/50 mix of Astronomicon Grey and Badab Black which looks pretty good, but I can't figure out what color to paint the fatigues.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Pro. Painted.

Sole.Sushi posted:

That has to be the worst tutorial. From the spelling errors in the wordsplashes, the missing photos between steps, the fact that he lists all these different paints in the beginning and uses a grand total of four, and the, unique, choice of music.
The. Worst.

No, the worst part is that it shoudn't be a video due to not showing him paint it on, and is much worse than just being a post or image because of that.

Ashcans posted:

I'd love to get some color advice for my Eldar Rangers. The rest of my army is painted primarily in a sort of bone/ceramic and teal, with small purple accents. You can see enough of what I have done in my history here. I would like the Rangers to echo that theme, but I also want to give some indication of their camouflage. I was thinking about painting their basic outfits the same as the rest of the army, and then painting their outer coats in a darker brown. I am not skilled enough to do some crazy color blending, but I was also considering doing a leaf pattern across parts of the coat - I would probably do that in a dark green. How does that sound? I don't want the green/brown to clash with the existing colors. I had thought about doing some of the leaf pattern in an autumn orange, but that would clash with the teal, right?

I swear I try, but I am just really bad at colors. :(

Not sure about the fluff on where your army is placed still, or the fluff on how eldar ranger cloaks work, but I think grey done up like the panels underneath would work most naturally and contrast as a nice natural tone ot the bright eldar colours. I could easily be wrong though.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Could anyone show me some pictures of Cadians with grey armor and/or give me tips on a color scheme? I want them to at least sort of match my Steel Legion vehicles which will be Adeptus Battlegrey. Adeptus Battlegrey seems a little dark on Cadians so I tried a 50/50 mix of Astronomicon Grey and Badab Black which looks pretty good, but I can't figure out what color to paint the fatigues.

Here are my guardsmen that I painted and modded just for fun.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Sole.Sushi posted:

The. Worst.

How about the fact he doesn't even prime the model?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Here are my guardsmen that I painted and modded just for fun.

Hmmm, I might try and see if I can get blue fatigues to work, those look pretty good!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Wazzu posted:

No, the worst part is that it shoudn't be a video due to not showing him paint it on, and is much worse than just being a post or image because of that.

Personally, I'm very fond of him painting onto bare plastic.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

moths posted:

I added a bit of height to mine by lengthening the torso. I loving love the old stulpts a lot. I really like the initial head of the current line, with the dreads (which I used).
e: I also did some stuff with the arms I think. In retrospect, I wish I had cut into the back of his knees and straightened him up a bit more in the legs. I think that looks a bit awkward right now.
e2: also the crappy wings are hand sculpted.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
My brother turned his into a Tzeentch Daemon Prince, which is a pretty cool transformation. I don't really like any of the greater daemon sculpts.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Personally, I'm very fond of him painting onto bare plastic.

I prime gray. Sometimes it looks like I'm painting on bare plastic. :shobon: but no, this guy is like a multi-function leaf blower: he both sucks and blows.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've got some Slaanesh stuff lying around that I don't know what to do with. It's a greater daemon, 10 daemonettes, a unit of noodle riders, a Masque and a fiend. I'm never going to play daemons so they've just been sitting in a box. Maybe a BloodBowl team?

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Bog Trogs are done for a full 50pt list. These guys have really great sculpts with plenty of detail that don't show on the studio pictures. They have crabs, fish, seashells and octopi hanging all over them. The amount of detail pretty much doubled the painting time of the models.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

moths posted:

Man, those are some serious tits on that bloodthirster. Sure that's not a Keeper of Secrets cosplaying one? It's even got a sorta gimp mask going on there.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Is there a website that has pictures and a list of all the Games Workshop models ever produced? I bought a bulk load of fantasy stuff on eBay and am having a hard time IDing some stuff. Didn't even realise I got a Karl Franz in the auction because the griffon was thrown in with some badass old school Wood Elves with wild 80's hair.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

dishwasherlove posted:

Is there a website that has pictures and a list of all the Games Workshop models ever produced? I bought a bulk load of fantasy stuff on eBay and am having a hard time IDing some stuff. Didn't even realise I got a Karl Franz in the auction because the griffon was thrown in with some badass old school Wood Elves with wild 80's hair.

Collecting Citadel Miniatures is pretty good.
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

And of course Stuff of Legends
http://www.solegends.com/

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

PierreTheMime posted:

Now armed with four eBay'd resin boneswords, I delve into model conversion of my Finecast Hive Tyrant:

Almost time to lord over swarms!

Owns owns owns.

Now I have to order more arms for mine.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If I ever decided to field a Greater Daemon it would probably be one from Ultra Forge Miniatures. The Greater War Daemon looks pretty boss.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I guess I'm in the minority, then, when I say that I hate the old GW horse-face daemons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Count me in as well. In fact all the really old GW stuff is terrible, ranging from amusingly bad to just plain bad.

• Locked thread