Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Binge posted:

There is a carfax report, but it just has all the oil/filter and inspections listings and a couple "Vehicle serviced" entries. It also failed inspection at 32k miles, but has passed every one since it.

Its for sale at a non-BMW dealership, so you're probably right about needed extra money for the just-in-case situations. Who knows what could be about to go on it. I may still place a call just to see what happens.

I recently drove a 2011 328i and loved every second of it. Then I find myself browsing ads, and well here I am. Patience is something I normally have, but admittedly, I get too excited looking at this.

Well, if you liked the E90 328i I wouldn't bother with an xi anyway. Just pick up a 2003+ 325i or 330i four-door in 5 speed. Do you really want the AWD? Unless you live in the back of beyond in Minnesota, winter can be dealt with fairly effectively with snow tyres on steelies and judicious use of the DSC system. Thus removing a number of potential failure points from the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Binge posted:

Bad idea or awesome idea? There is a 2003 325XI with 70k for 12k from a dealership. I have a 2007 Ford Edge at the moment, and am heavily considering trading it in for it.

I honestly have no extra money to put down on anything right now though. I just bought 4 new tires for my car, and fixed my motorcycle, so I'm kinda broke now.

I guess this might be more of a financing question than anything. I owe ~16k on my Edge, and it's valued at like 15k-ish. (I just refinanced it 2 months ago). I know a dealership would give me maybe 12k for it, but that would cover the cost of the BMW, especially if I can magically talk them down a notch or 2.

I figure it's worth a try at least, and I'm probably going to wait a few days and call the dealership(they're a couple hours away) and talk to someone about it, and hope its still there.
Bolding mine. Sounds like you really want this car and you can barely afford to fix it should something go wrong. It's 8 years old. It undoubtedly will have something wrong with it within 3-6 months, even coming from the dealership. For any car I buy from the dealership, I price in $500 for fluid/filter changes and other random crap (brakes/belts/pulleys/hoses). $500 is if I do it all myself and assuming I already have the tools. Not to mention the time I will have to spend working on it.

Your Edge is only 4 years old, and there will likely be no issues with it in the foreseeable future. Keep that in mind.

quote:

It also failed inspection at 32k miles, but has passed every one since it.
One would hope a car purchased would never fail inspection, especially at 32k miles. Not to mention it would lower the value of the car. Most people would avoid it on that line item alone.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Well, the alternator died in a friend of mine's 540i. Its a water cooled and at a $650 price tag, vs $230 for the 530i.

A water cooled alternator? That sounds pretty sweet, anybody got pictures of this contraption?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Binge posted:

Bad idea or awesome idea? There is a 2003 325XI with 70k for 12k from a dealership. I have a 2007 Ford Edge at the moment, and am heavily considering trading it in for it.

As far as I know, the value of my Edge is more than the 325's, and I'm hoping that wouldn't be much of an issue to trade it in for it. I was considering doing something like this maybe next spring after I've saved some money, and get some tax return money in my bank again. But browsing some ads, I see this and wonder if this is at all feasible. I honestly have no extra money to put down on anything right now though. I just bought 4 new tires for my car, and fixed my motorcycle, so I'm kinda broke now.

I guess this might be more of a financing question than anything. I owe ~16k on my Edge, and it's valued at like 15k-ish. (I just refinanced it 2 months ago). I know a dealership would give me maybe 12k for it, but that would cover the cost of the BMW, especially if I can magically talk them down a notch or 2.

I figure it's worth a try at least, and I'm probably going to wait a few days and call the dealership(they're a couple hours away) and talk to someone about it, and hope its still there.

Why not sell your Edge private party and get several thousand more in cash than the dealer will give you in trade?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, as a relatively new BMW owner, if I could only give a person about to buy one ONE piece of advice, it would be to have that $2000 sitting safe somewhere for when you are GOING to need it.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
This is more of a general question:

My rear tires wear out faster than my front tires. i have yet to change tires on this car. The fronts have about 65% life on them, the rears are pretty much dead. Should I change all 4? (and spend a bunch of money), buy 2 new rears (and miss out on possible rebates from buying 4 tires), or should I buy 2 used tires for the rear? (with all of the risks associated with used tires?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Shadowhand00 posted:

This is more of a general question:

My rear tires wear out faster than my front tires. i have yet to change tires on this car. The fronts have about 65% life on them, the rears are pretty much dead. Should I change all 4? (and spend a bunch of money), buy 2 new rears (and miss out on possible rebates from buying 4 tires), or should I buy 2 used tires for the rear? (with all of the risks associated with used tires?

Personally I would never just replace 2 tires on a car, much less a performance car. You can absolutely do it and get away with it, but it's not something I would ever do. There's nothing "wrong" with doing it, but you have to consider the difference in grip and unpredictability of handling that it will give you. Also, if the fronts have good tread but are 3-5 years old, they are probably nearly due for replacement anyway. Tread is not the sole determining factor of a tire's condition.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

revmoo posted:

Also, if the fronts have good tread but are 3-5 years old, they are probably nearly due for replacement anyway. Tread is not the sole determining factor of a tire's condition.

This is so true, and a lot of people don't realize it. Even if there is still tread, after 5 years the rubber compound has likely hardened up to nearly a rock-like state and has lost much of its grip and traction both in dry and (especially) wet conditions.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

revmoo posted:

Personally I would never just replace 2 tires on a car, much less a performance car. You can absolutely do it and get away with it, but it's not something I would ever do. There's nothing "wrong" with doing it, but you have to consider the difference in grip and unpredictability of handling that it will give you. Also, if the fronts have good tread but are 3-5 years old, they are probably nearly due for replacement anyway. Tread is not the sole determining factor of a tire's condition.

The 2 tires were replaced mid-year last year. (I'm guessing it was 65%, but it could be lcoser to 75%). They were replaced by the previous owner of the car under warranty (i don't know why he didn't replace the rears too - bastard). So you are basically saying, regardless of the wear left on the fronts, replace all 4 tires?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
If they're only a year or so old, and in good condition, and you can replace the other two with another of the exact same tire, I think you'd be ok.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

revmoo posted:

If they're only a year or so old, and in good condition, and you can replace the other two with another of the exact same tire, I think you'd be ok.

Much appreciated. Is TireRack still considered the place to get tires?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CornHolio posted:

A water cooled alternator? That sounds pretty sweet, anybody got pictures of this contraption?

http://members.roadfly.com/faisal_in_laurel/M62/M62_Alternator_R_R.pdf

Scroll a ways down theres some pictures. Its really just a big can with some connections on the front, its not that impressive.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Shadowhand00 posted:

don't know why he didn't replace the rears too - bastard). So you are basically saying, regardless of the wear left on the fronts, replace all 4 tires?

My M3, at least, eats rear tires like nobody's business. I've put two sets of rear tires on it in the 25,000 miles I've driven it, and it had good tread on them when I bought it. They wear evenly, but they just wear out. It's a symptom of soft compound rubber and driving the car like it's designed to be driven. The OE Pilot Sports only last 6,000 miles or so before needing replacement, and are $600 each. Needless to say, I don't buy Pilot Sports.

My opinion is, if your front tires aren't old, why replace them if they don't need it? You can check the date code on the sidewall to see exactly how old they are if you're worried about it. Anything older than 5-6 years old would be a good candidate for replacement.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

wallaka posted:

My opinion is, if your front tires aren't old, why replace them if they don't need it?

Same here.

Just put matching sets on each axle. They are not going to wear evenly front to back - it's a RWD car. The only time you're going to have equally worn tyres of equal ages on is when the car comes off the ramp at your local tyre shop.

e: in case that's unclear, just replace the rears unless there is actually something wrong with the fronts. Actually, not just the tyre shine has worn off the sidewall...

Saga fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 16, 2011

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I am selling a 2002 BMW 325i in the SF Bay area. Here is the honest description of the car, slightly revised from last time I talked about it.

EvilMoFo posted:

2002 325i, teal green
202k, original engine and automatic transmission (and transmission fluid)
power steering pump is sure to go sooner than later
at least 1 alloy is damaged, maybe 2, sitting on 4 steels with studless snow tires
broken rear driver side spring (about 1" shorter)
no tumbler in the door
cd player is broken, radio works though
fair to good interior, couple pieces of trim are damaged
the paint looks decent, except for a spot on the rear bumper, I think there are a couple minor dents and scratches
front bumper is damaged, due to piece of rebar on a tire stop, and needs to be replaced to look decent
1 valet, 2 remote keys, 1 pissed off remote key that starts it but does not open the car, and the plastic emergency key with the manual
needs an oil change and an alignment

So yeah, anyone want a car that will likely be a project? I would really love to get 4k but I am open to offers.

Like you have never seen a E46 3 series.

Note the bumper.

Trunk in blurrycam, comes with chains, BMW brand sun shade, and snow/ice brush/scraper.

The interior.

The mileage.

edit: it threw an o2 sensor code last week but has not done it again since being cleared

edit 2: vvv While I always liked my 2000 528i more than this thing, in the end I blame caltrans more than anything else. Most of those miles are from I-80, going between the bay area and Reno; the extreme weather and loving horrible roads contributed to the 528i (computer, specifically) dying, the 325i getting in this shape, and my 85 Mercedes diesel deciding to stop working. The good news of all that, I graduated and am not going to Reno ever again if I can avoid it.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 16, 2011

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

EvilMoFo posted:

:smith:

Somebody doesn't love their car. This makes me sad.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Taco Box posted:

Somebody doesn't love their car. This makes me sad.

"engine and automatic transmission"

Yeah, but it was one of those Trisomy 18 cars...it never had a chance. :cry:

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

wallaka posted:

My opinion is, if your front tires aren't old, why replace them if they don't need it? You can check the date code on the sidewall to see exactly how old they are if you're worried about it. Anything older than 5-6 years old would be a good candidate for replacement.

This. My M3 disproportionately eats rear tires on the street and fronts on the track. If I bought 4 tires every time I needed 2, tirerack would hold a 2nd mortgage on my house.

Always replace in pairs and do not mix performance types (no high-performance summer tires on one axle and touring all-seasons on the other) and you'll be fine.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Have you guys seen the engine in the new M5?

:iamafag:

I'm assuming those huge boxes in the center are some kind of heat transfer device for the turbos... maybe?

Also, just ordered four Kumhos for my car from the Tire Rack. My rears are nearly bald, and my fronts could definitely use replacing too. I couldn't justify the Bridgestone Potenzas since my car is old with a need-replacing-soon suspension. It would have been wasted. Still, I think these appear to be pretty decent tires.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 16, 2011

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
It's pretty, but imagine it's a bitch to work on.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Fermunky posted:

That was my first thought too. This probably indicates that neither of us can afford to buy one (he said presumptuously).

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
Average fuel consumption is 28.5 miles per imperial gallon for the new M5? That's 23.75 MPG in the US. The current M5 gets an average of 13mpg. That's fantastic.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Where'd you find that stat? Even downsizing from a V10 to a V8TT, I find that really hard to believe.

Oh, drat, it's according to the BMW press release.

BMW posted:

• Significantly improved balance between performance and fuel consumption: acceleration 0–100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.4 seconds, 0–200 km/h (124 mph) in 13.0 seconds, top speed: 250 km/h / 155 mph (305 km/h / 190 mph with M Driver's Package); average fuel consumption in EU test cycle: 9.9 litres/100 km (28.5 mpg imp); engine output 10 per cent up on predecessor model, maximum torque increased by 30 per cent,
fuel consumption cut by more than 30 per cent; extensive Efficient Dynamics technology, including Auto Start-Stop function and Brake Energy Regeneration.

That's awesome. That's on par with the puny NA 3.0L in my 330Ci, but the M5 makes almost triple the power. Goddamn.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 16, 2011

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Saga posted:

Same here.

Just put matching sets on each axle. They are not going to wear evenly front to back - it's a RWD car. The only time you're going to have equally worn tyres of equal ages on is when the car comes off the ramp at your local tyre shop.

e: in case that's unclear, just replace the rears unless there is actually something wrong with the fronts. Actually, not just the tyre shine has worn off the sidewall...

Thanks for this. I have Pilot Sports on the front, currently have Yokohama S.Drives in the back. (original owner did this). I'm going to be replacing the rears with the Hankook V12s. Got a quote for $445 installed at a place in Milpitas. The charge for the tires are about 15 more than what Tire Rack will charge (+ shipping) and this guy can get them in the next day. I'll probably go with that unless someone thinks that's too expensive. Thoughts?

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Shadowhand00 posted:

Thanks for this. I have Pilot Sports on the front, currently have Yokohama S.Drives in the back. (original owner did this). I'm going to be replacing the rears with the Hankook V12s. Got a quote for $445 installed at a place in Milpitas. The charge for the tires are about 15 more than what Tire Rack will charge (+ shipping) and this guy can get them in the next day. I'll probably go with that unless someone thinks that's too expensive. Thoughts?

That seems about right. I got my V12's (only a pair for the rear) for 202 shipped, and they actually arrived fairly quickly. Got them installed for 15 each.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Guinness posted:

Where'd you find that stat? Even downsizing from a V10 to a V8TT, I find that really hard to believe.

Oh, drat, it's according to the BMW press release.

That's awesome. That's on par with the puny NA 3.0L in my 330Ci, but the M5 makes almost triple the power. Goddamn.

And it's at least 5 passengers heavier than your car. This is the EU test cycle though, which could include more highway or something. Still, an average MPG of over 20 exceeds the requirements for a $100k car.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That car is really going to be an excellent evolution of the 5er's. I am glad they moved away from the bangle design, but the the fuel economy is outstanding.

I know purists want the NA form, but I think we have reached a point in automotive evolution that we are having to resort to forced induction for more power. Even GM is using turbo's on the Cruze.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm really excited to see what BMW ends up doing with the F30 3ers that should be just around the corner. If the F10 5ers are any indication of the direction that BMW is heading in terms of styling, performance, and efficiency, then the next gen 3-series is going to be incredible.

The F10 is basically what the E60 should have been. If they can bring the same level of improvement to the E90, which didn't suffer nearly as bad as the E60 in the first place, then we're in for a treat.

Ronnie B.
Apr 30, 2002

Hold on, I'm trying to turn off my own show, how does this work?

Fermunky posted:

To refill washer fluid, use BMW special tool 35 4 023...

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Is there a exploded diagram or similar of that new M5 engine around anywhere? I'd like to be able to see what's actually going on under those covers. Probably some relatively weird looking headers under there at least.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

CornHolio posted:

Have you guys seen the engine in the new M5?

:iamafag:

I'm assuming those huge boxes in the center are some kind of heat transfer device for the turbos... maybe?

Also, just ordered four Kumhos for my car from the Tire Rack. My rears are nearly bald, and my fronts could definitely use replacing too. I couldn't justify the Bridgestone Potenzas since my car is old with a need-replacing-soon suspension. It would have been wasted. Still, I think these appear to be pretty decent tires.

I am not much of a materialistic person, but one of my primary motivations for earning money is so that I can someday own a car with this engine in it, know that I will never really be able to open the hood and do poo poo to it, and not have to care about that.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not much of a materialistic person, but one of my primary motivations for earning money is so that I can someday own a car with this engine in it, know that I will never really be able to open the hood and do poo poo to it, and not have to care about that.

Brother, I hear you. I enjoy turning a wrench under the hood quite a bit, but that's what project cars are for. I'd rather be able to drive cutting edge technology and not give a gently caress about the costs and maintenance difficulties, and have something a little more old school and simplistic for my own putzing around on in the garage.

Some day...

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
So, my 1982 BMW 320i with almost 200k on it has been making this 'clacking'? noise for some while now, seems to be getting slightly worse....Is it that it just needs a valve adjustment, or is it just poo poo worn out cuz its old and nothing really to be done about it.

Video! I swear it sounds worse in the video than it does in person x.x Seriously, it sounds like a tractor in the video. I just did an oil change and havent really had the hood open with the engine running for a while. Decided maybe I should ask whats up with the noise.

http://youtu.be/xE3hincrWfw

unknown poster fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 17, 2011

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I just bought a 2001 330ci a couple weeks ago, and have been reading up on maintenance. I was checking the coolant level and noticed the buoy is a couple inches below the lip, but the engine temperature seems to have been fine when driving.

I'll be buying coolant from the BMW store tomorrow, but I was wondering if such a low coolant level is a cause for concern (i.e. is something broken?). Assuming engine temperatures have been normal, how damaging was it to have been driving around?

e: thanks nitr0!

rawrr fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 18, 2011

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

rawrr posted:

I just bought a 2001 330ci a couple weeks ago, and have been reading up on maintenance. I was checking the coolant level and noticed the buoy is a couple inches below the lip, but the engine temperature seems to have been fine when driving.

I'll be buying coolant from the BMW store tomorrow, but I was wondering if such a low coolant level is a cause for concern (i.e. is something broken?). Assuming engine temperatures have been normal, how damaging was it to have been driving around?

Depending on the last time it was filled it wouldn't be crazy to assume that some has evaporated. It's not going to cause any problems if your engine temperature stayed within normal variables. Don't worry 'bout it and fill it up when you can :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

unknown poster posted:

So, my 1982 BMW 320i with almost 200k on it has been making this 'clacking'? noise for some while now, seems to be getting slightly worse....Is it that it just needs a valve adjustment, or is it just poo poo worn out cuz its old and nothing really to be done about it.

Video! I swear it sounds worse in the video than it does in person x.x Seriously, it sounds like a tractor in the video. I just did an oil change and havent really had the hood open with the engine running for a while. Decided maybe I should ask whats up with the noise.

http://youtu.be/xE3hincrWfw

Well, when did you last check the clearances? What grade of oil did you use?

If this was an M40/M42 and not an M10 (right? E21 end of run model?), I'd say replace the CCT (and in your case check and re-set clearances) and see how it sounds then.

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007

Saga posted:

Well, when did you last check the clearances? What grade of oil did you use?

If this was an M40/M42 and not an M10 (right? E21 end of run model?), I'd say replace the CCT (and in your case check and re-set clearances) and see how it sounds then.

When I bought it, the previous owner said he had checked the valve clearances recently and they were fine. I've put about 20k on it since then. I use Castrol GTX 20/50.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get the valves adjusted, how much should I expect to pay? I was just wondering if it was something that could be diagnosed as something simple like that, or more major from the sound.

edit: its an M10, e21

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

unknown poster posted:

When I bought it, the previous owner said he had checked the valve clearances recently and they were fine. I've put about 20k on it since then. I use Castrol GTX 20/50.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get the valves adjusted, how much should I expect to pay? I was just wondering if it was something that could be diagnosed as something simple like that, or more major from the sound.

Why don't you do them yourself? All you need is a bit of wire coathanger, feeler gauges and a 10mm wrench.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CornHolio posted:

Yeah, given their position and thickness (wrt to airflow direction), I'm guessing they're watercooled intercoolers. That engine cover must get really loving hot with the turbos right under it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

unknown poster posted:

What beach bum said. You should basically need a set of feeler gauges (metric) to check the clearances and a socket (or wrench if you must, should be in your BMW toolkit) to get the valve cover off. And whatever you use on the M10 to rotate the crank so you can get TDC on each cylinder. It will be in your Haynes / Bentley manual in any case. One of the nice things about having a 1982 car is being able to do these things without 3 hands, a lift, a photographic memory and special tool #1094190190.

The CCT system's different to the M40/M42 ones that are just a sealed unit, but it doesn't look like a complicated setup (piston, spring and a plug) and it's probably $50 worth of parts (ready to be corrected by M10 experts...).

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E21/Sedan/USA/320i-M10/LHD/M/1982/january/browse/engine/timing_valve_train_timing_chain_camshaft/