Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
How much should I expect to pay to have a watch battery replaced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Underflow posted:

Well Paul, mine have never done that and if they had I'd have left the building in a hurry. Sure it's in order? Sure it even has a fan?

Barometer posted:

Ours has done that for a long time, but the amount of time it continues to go after 0 has gotten longer. I think it's a symptom that the machine is dying, myself. I just haven't gotten around to buying a new one, yet.

I'm not so sure it's a malfunction though, since I've seen it happen with many microwaves. Timer hits zero, then starts beeping while still turning the tray and making noise for an extra few moments. Beeping stops at same time everything else stops.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Pweller posted:

What is up with microwaves continuing to run once their timer has run out? Are they still 'microwaving', or is it only the fan running for 2-3 seconds to cool components down for a moment or something?

We have a convection microwave, and it doesn't run past the beep when you use it in the normal microwave settings, but when you use the convection settings it definitely takes a while to stop running. I assume it's a cooling down thing.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Jive One posted:

What's the longest lasting gum that comes in a variety of mint and fruit flavors?

Stride and Orbit are about equal from what I've found. Orbit Mist (with the microbeads) seems to last even a bit longer. Don't get Five - that might as well be Fruit Stripe gum.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

Eyeball posted:

If it's a lovely place in a mall (and a lovely shark watch), like five bucks.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Pweller posted:

I'm not so sure it's a malfunction though, since I've seen it happen with many microwaves. Timer hits zero, then starts beeping while still turning the tray and making noise for an extra few moments. Beeping stops at same time everything else stops.

I'm not microwave engineer but I would wager you are correct since many devices that generate heat work like that. I would assume the magnetron gets pretty hot but cools down pretty rapidly when off and the extra seconds of fan extends the life by cooling it faster.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Eyeball posted:

Somewhere in the :10bux: range, unless it is a really obscure battery. My old Swiss Army watch that requires a special tool to change costs about $13 to do.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Eyeball posted:

Even more if your watch is waterproof and you want it resealed.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is there an Asian equivalent to "the scene" for Chinese, Korean, and Japanese stuff? Like groups, rules, efficiency, etc...

There seems to be no way to legitimately watch any Asian media in the western world without going heavily into bootlegged materials. I guess you could spend hundreds a month on satellites or something, but it's more like the other way around where there's more effort being put in from the eastern world to watch our stuff.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I have a Fossil that I took to a Belle Jewelry store -- they not only replaced the battery, but scratched the crystal and also were unable to restore the waterproofing when they were done, all for the low, low price of 65 bucks.

Oh, it also took them well over an hour to do it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Dudebro posted:

Is there an Asian equivalent to "the scene" for Chinese, Korean, and Japanese stuff? Like groups, rules, efficiency, etc...

Korea uses clubbox (or used to?), Japan has Share and Perfect Dark.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I really like how the Macbook trackpad works. Two fingers gesture left goes back a page, three fingers goes to the desktop, smooth scrolling with two fingers, etc.

Problem is, I don't have a Mac. Are there any drivers or programs out there that duplicate how the Mac does its trackpad but for other netbooks/laptops?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I'm trying to replace what I think is a 3/4" Orbit sprinkler. I cannot unscrew the drat thing from the line. The top unscrewed, but the outer shell is stuck. I'm beginning to think it may not unscrew, but I've seen other sprinklers like this and they should be "unscrewable."

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
^^^^ Probably a stupid question, but it doesn't have one of those quick releases where you pull the sleeve downwards and the nozzle pops out, does it? A drawing of sorts might help otherwise, I'm having trouble visualizing what you mean.

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I really like how the Macbook trackpad works. Two fingers gesture left goes back a page, three fingers goes to the desktop, smooth scrolling with two fingers, etc.

Problem is, I don't have a Mac. Are there any drivers or programs out there that duplicate how the Mac does its trackpad but for other netbooks/laptops?

http://lifehacker.com/5493849/get-mac+like-scrolling-and-gestures-on-a-windows-laptop

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 17, 2011

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Probably a stupid question, but it doesn't have one of those quick releases where you pull the sleeve downwards and the nozzle pops out, does it? A drawing of sorts might help otherwise, I'm having trouble visualizing what you mean.

I don't really know. Here's a picture of what it looks like:

When I saw it in the store, the bottom should be threaded for a male pipe 3/4" wide. These seem to come mostly as 1/2", which I've had no problem removing and replacing.

EDIT: This is what the company provides: http://www.orbitonline.com/lib/media/55661-24%20rD%281%291.pdf

It looks like it should just screw into the pipe underground.

Sizzlechest fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 17, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Are there any hack and slash games/roguelikes for android?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

randyest posted:

I will pay you US$20 for your skull. I mean the concrete one not the one you're using to hold your brain. Plus reasonable shipping to Boston (say, up to $30 more.). Assuming it's authentic.

PM me, or username at gmail. I will treat it respectfully and use it for educational purposes.

I'd be happy enough to sell it, but it's really my mom's, and she's very worried about the legal ramifications of even having it, let alone selling it. I met a girl in my class today whose mom is an anatomy teacher, I think she might be willing to take it. Sorry.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Pweller posted:

What is up with microwaves continuing to run once their timer has run out? Are they still 'microwaving', or is it only the fan running for 2-3 seconds to cool components down for a moment or something?

I had one that did this intentionally and I'm pretty sure it was just the fan, not the microwaves. The only evidence I have to support this is that when I was heating stuff that would boil or froth up (like Easy Mac), the liquid would begin to settle immediately as soon as the timer stopped, even when the whole thing was still 'running'.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Mac question: Firefox 4 has an on/off option to "Warn me when closing multiple tabs," and it works if I try to close a single window that contains multiple tabs. But what it doesn't do is warn me if I hit Cmd+Q to quit when I have multiple tabs open - when that happens it just quits with no warning. Which is a real bitch, seeing as how I cmd+w to close windows all the time, and hitting cmd+Q is damned easy to do. I just recently upgraded to 4 from 3, and I feel like it didn't do this before. Is there a hidden option somewhere that will force firefox 4 to confirm I want to quit it?

Florida Betty posted:

I'd be happy enough to sell it, but it's really my mom's, and she's very worried about the legal ramifications of even having it, let alone selling it. I met a girl in my class today whose mom is an anatomy teacher, I think she might be willing to take it. Sorry.
It's not a nuclear weapon, it's just an old skull; from the markings it's clearly been used as an educational tool in the past. I mean hey, an anatomy teacher seems like a great person to have it, but you guys are worrying over absolutely nothing. Hell, you can even buy these things on ebay.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
What with all the microwave info I'm beginning to realise that the models I've had so far have been vintage stoneage. I set the time and temp, it goes BING, and then it stops. No other settings, no fan.

tarepanda posted:

I have a Fossil that I took to a Belle Jewelry store -- they not only replaced the battery, but scratched the crystal and also were unable to restore the waterproofing when they were done, all for the low, low price of 65 bucks.

Oh, it also took them well over an hour to do it.

Common complaint these days. Probably hard to get qualified people at the kind of salary one can expect in retail these days and traditional craftsmen are dropping like flies. I've tried to find a real cobbler instead of one of those 'we superglue yer high heels back on' kind of places; fuggeddabbouddid. Place is going to the dogs, I say.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

jackpot posted:

Mac question: Firefox 4 has an on/off option to "Warn me when closing multiple tabs," and it works if I try to close a single window that contains multiple tabs. But what it doesn't do is warn me if I hit Cmd+Q to quit when I have multiple tabs open - when that happens it just quits with no warning. Which is a real bitch, seeing as how I cmd+w to close windows all the time, and hitting cmd+Q is damned easy to do. I just recently upgraded to 4 from 3, and I feel like it didn't do this before. Is there a hidden option somewhere that will force firefox 4 to confirm I want to quit it?

4 has odd behaviour on other systems too. I recently upgraded from a pretty old version under Unix only because all the Web 2.0 rubbish wasn't loading properly anymore, but:

- specified a blank startup page; still goes to Google
- Ctrl+W shortcut closes the browser if there's only one remaining tab (Seamonkey always used to do that; no idea why they picked up this utter idiocy)
- several clicks needed to go back in page history
- forward page history doesn't even work
- addressbar's previously entered URLs aren't showing

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

change my name posted:

Are there any hack and slash games/roguelikes for android?

If nethack is roguelike enough for you, then yes.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sizzlechest posted:

I don't really know. Here's a picture of what it looks like:

When I saw it in the store, the bottom should be threaded for a male pipe 3/4" wide. These seem to come mostly as 1/2", which I've had no problem removing and replacing.

EDIT: This is what the company provides: http://www.orbitonline.com/lib/media/55661-24%20rD%281%291.pdf

It looks like it should just screw into the pipe underground.

That should screw on and off. Perhaps the previous owner used pipe dope to secure it?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
On the microwaves, mine does that with the message "COOL" in the timer window. So I'm guessing it's doing exactly that, cooling down its elements.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Florida Betty posted:

Unless a grave was defiled to obtain it there's nothing illegal about owning it. When people donate their body to science this king of thing is usually what happens to it. The substituent parts are used as educational aids in universities and hospitals and specimens get passed around as the years go by. That isn't against the law by any means at all.

Unless... was your grandpa Jack the Ripper? :ohdear:

jackpot posted:

Post here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3160095

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 17, 2011

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
On my microwave you can hear when the magnetron is actually active, a 60hz hum, and it's not there the couple seconds after the beep when the fan is going.

If you don't have one of those richie inverter microwaves you should be able to hear the magnetron cycle on and off real easy if you cook at 50% power. It just runs the magnetron in cycles instead of always on like 100%

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

stubblyhead posted:

That should screw on and off. Perhaps the previous owner used pipe dope to secure it?

That's what I was thinking, there's probably pipe dope on the riser and it's simply glued in place. If you have the materials you might be able to snap the riser off at the tee and use one of those extraction tools to twist it out, but if it's glued into the tee you're probably going to have to cut the line and splice in a new tee, riser and head to replace it.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
What kind of xbox 360 should I get? I've never had one before. If I can save money not getting the absolute newest model that would be cool, but I've heard the newer models have "fixed" hardware that doesn't break as often. And OTOH if the newest ones are really awesome in some way I'm overlooking I wouldn't necessarily have a problem dropping the cash for one. Suggestions?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A drat FOG posted:

What kind of xbox 360 should I get? I've never had one before. If I can save money not getting the absolute newest model that would be cool, but I've heard the newer models have "fixed" hardware that doesn't break as often. And OTOH if the newest ones are really awesome in some way I'm overlooking I wouldn't necessarily have a problem dropping the cash for one. Suggestions?

The newest ones are much quieter than the old ones, in addition to not having the reliability problems. They can also run a Kinect camera without a separate power dongle if you care about that. It also has built-in wifi.

Also, don't buy used 360s from anywhere sketchy, as there is a good chance it is was modded and will not let you connect to Xbox Live.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Florida Betty posted:

Eh, no problem. I was just tying to help us both out, but sounds like you're all set. Thanks for the reply.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
We're flying into LaGuardia next month, to stay in a hotel in midtown Manhattan. Should we bother with reserving a shuttle, or just deal with a cab?

Related question: Various sites have told me the cab rate for this trip (LGA to Empire State, essentially) is $23-$30. Is that per person, or one rate for the whole trip?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I never do the shuttles because I have horrible luck with them being late, wrong place or not showing up at all, not to mention it's usually a ride share so you may end up driving all over the city before being dropped off.

There's no set rate from laguardia but yes it should be ~$30 for the trip (no per person rates)

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
In many cities, NYC included, cab fare is standardized by law. http://home.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Is there anyway to transplant or move growing pumpkins? After years of throwing out pumpkin guts from jack-o-lanterns, we finally have "wild" pumpkins growing in our backyard!
The only problem is, they've grown near a pile of aluminum siding that I'm for certain has snakes and all sorts of other nasty critters living under them. Another problem is that one of the pumpkins, the biggest one, has decided to make its home right on top of a piece of aluminum siding, essentially cooking it during these unnaturally hot Florida days we've been having. It has rained like 3 days this week but not in any significant amount and I'm afraid my pumpkins are going to die and then I would be sad. :smith: They are so far in the backyard that the garden hose will not reach and going out each day with a 10-gallon bucket of water and dumping it on them isn't really my idea of gardening.

So is there any way to save my poor pumpkins?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

silversiren posted:

So is there any way to save my poor pumpkins?

If previous threads are any indication, Hevi-Shot ammunition will do the trick.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Good Citizen posted:

If previous threads are any indication, Hevi-Shot ammunition will do the trick.

I will not give up on this poor helpless pumpkins! They will live, damnit, LIVE!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

silversiren posted:

I will not give up on this poor helpless pumpkins! They will live, damnit, LIVE!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1704519&highlight
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/great-goon-database/great-goon-best.php?page=4
;)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gravity Pike posted:

In many cities, NYC included, cab fare is standardized by law. http://home.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

This is however only true of metered Yellow cabs in NYC. (i.e. the ones that're legally allowed to pick you up when you hail them on the street)

Independent cab companies, which handle a lot of the airport service work can charge whatever they want.

They're usually not worth it unless you are a) leaving the 5 boros, or b) need to be picked up from someplace where hailing a cab is unlikely to be successful (outer boros).

cpypaul
Jul 1, 2007

by Duchess Gummybuns

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I'm not microwave engineer but I would wager you are correct since many devices that generate heat work like that. I would assume the magnetron gets pretty hot but cools down pretty rapidly when off and the extra seconds of fan extends the life by cooling it faster.

A microwave engineer is one who designs circuits and systems, typically communications and data transmission devices, that operate at radio frequencies and higher. They don't design microwave ovens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

silversiren posted:

They are so far in the backyard that the garden hose will not reach and going out each day with a 10-gallon bucket of water and dumping it on them isn't really my idea of gardening.

drat man, it's big edibles you're talking about, not dandelions. Go water those poor legumes.

cpypaul posted:

A microwave engineer is one who designs circuits and systems, typically communications and data transmission devices, that operate at radio frequencies and higher. They don't design microwave ovens.

You may have torpedoed the career choice of many a forums user there, y'know.

Underflow fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 18, 2011