Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind

Aliginge posted:

They emailed back today, no dice for me I'm afraid. :sigh:

gently caress it, I'm gonna ditch a lot of my folio content and focus on finished environments and props.

Hope you guys have better luck than I do :)

Sorry to hear that Aliginge, did you ask for feedback?

I have the phone interview tomorrow morning for the AP position but I don't feel too confident.

I'm just brushing up on some Agile (Scrum) knowledge in work as we speak.

Andio fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
I needn't ask, most of the interview was critiquing my work. :v:

Ah well, wasn't a wasted experience. What was particularly useful was knowing more about what they want to see in a folio and what they don't.

(Full environments and photoreal basically)

Andio
May 10, 2004

Aliginge posted:

Ah well, wasn't a wasted experience. What was particularly useful was knowing more about what they want to see in a folio and what they don't.

Was Adam Askew there by any chance? He's the guy I will be speaking to tomorrow.

Do you have any industry experience?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Not to my knowledge no. I spoke to two environment art guys. And no, no industry experience yet.

Best of luck brah :)

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

isk posted:

A lead producer was recounting an interview with the production assistant he ended up hiring. The PA had been in the military previously, primarily with logistics and procurement, telling one story where he had to move an entire base hundreds of miles in a short timeframe. This impressed the hell out of the lead, not just with the subject matter but with the delivery as well - calm, confident, and charismatic.

Any time you're responsible for the management and completion of a complex project, you're essentially a producer. If you don't have industry-specific experience there, you might be able to relate with any crazy stuff you've done outside. Of course, depending on the size and atmosphere of the team, you'll need to demonstrate a grasp on videogame production workflows and processes, either in your resume/cover letter or during the interview.

Part of my problem is that I'm a recent grad. I've got a lot of experience leading student projects and working in student organizations, but no real work experience. I don't know if companies even count stuff like that, but at least I have a lot of experience with software development, so I'm hoping that that will get me an entry level job.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Space Opera posted:

Part of my problem is that I'm a recent grad. I've got a lot of experience leading student projects and working in student organizations, but no real work experience. I don't know if companies even count stuff like that, but at least I have a lot of experience with software development, so I'm hoping that that will get me an entry level job.
... sorry, but no, it really won't. When hiring for a production person, you want, above absolutely everything else, experience shipping games - the more, the better. That is the only thing that makes a qualified producer - you need that + the actual management skill. No certs will fill that role, you need that experience (even if that experience was on a non-producer role, so long as you saw products through).

Thus, breaking into production requires either moving over from another discipline, or a lot of luck / knowing someone, or finding a really, really big studio willing to bring on no-experience PA's and train them up (ie. you might have luck at Zynga given the rate at which they're hiring).

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 17, 2011

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Aliginge posted:

I kind of feel like that's a little harsh for a guy with literally no industry experience. You have to take a punt on people and see what you think they're capable of. I'm sure they know what they're looking for but in my opinion it's a big ask to expect finished environments from someone who hasn't worked at a studio before.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Just got my first freelance gig. As soon as I picked the first one up another person contacted me about freelance. WOOHOO!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ceebee posted:

Just got my first freelance gig. As soon as I picked the first one up another person contacted me about freelance. WOOHOO!

Congrats dude!

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
In the OP it says for programmers to focus on their core math skills. Can someone elaborate more on this?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

concerned mom posted:

I kind of feel like that's a little harsh for a guy with literally no industry experience. You have to take a punt on people and see what you think they're capable of. I'm sure they know what they're looking for but in my opinion it's a big ask to expect finished environments from someone who hasn't worked at a studio before.

I had three complete environments when I graduated college (one being a group project for a history museum), and a wip freelance environment that was good enough to show when I was looking for jobs. I also worked my rear end off and didn't do anything else and saved up enough money and lived frugally the last quarter of classes so I could quit my lovely job. There aren't excuses. :colbert:

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think that's a good point and you did really well to get to that standard whilst still in college. I just feel like college is there to give you a decent across-the-board grounding in art and we all did weird stuff there that we'd never do now and modelled things we don't anymore but it would be a shame not to have done them. I guess it boils down to getting a job at the end of the day. I just personally don't think employers should look for a rounded-product in someone who possibly hasn't found themselves yet. It's a pretty tough industry to get in to but I do feel that the people who I admire the most in it are the people that have experimented and tried lots of different things. It's a tough argument to make and you could just say "well fine but I'm not going to give them a job over someone who can clearly demonstrate they can do what I'm looking for" and you'd be right so I unno.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I guess that depends largely on the state of the studio. Here, we have a history of taking on people that aren't always fully baked and carrying them until they are, because it's an investment in people sort of thing that we like to do. But lately, we've fallen into the position where that's maybe not possible so we're not cutting people as much slack.

Aliginge's interview was with Playground Games, who've been operating for two(?) years with no(?) products on shelves. Maybe they simply don't feel like they're in the position to take anybody on that can't hit the ground running because of experience or whatever.

Edit: Double negative where I wanted a single negative doi.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 17, 2011

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yeah sorry I really don't want to pick out Playground Games at all, I guess I just like to give people a good break because I know I needed it a few years ago!

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Watch me potentially insult the thread's artists!

Just like I tell people who want to get into design to get a degree from a liberal arts school (albeit hopefully one in CS!) and programmers to do the same, and avoid "game degrees", in general, artists that go to traditional art schools (RISD, MICA, Pratt, etc) are far better long-term hires than people who are "game artists". The best artists I've ever worked with graduated college having barely used Photoshop and never Maya/Max. Their portfolios consist of paintings, illustration, and so on. They take way longer to ramp-up, but you can teach someone tools, but you can't teach them about light, composition, color, form, and so on. (Not to mention art school crits are more brutal than anything they'll ever face in their professional careers.)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

devilmouse posted:

Just like I tell people who want to get into design to get a degree from a liberal arts school (albeit hopefully one in CS!) and programmers to do the same, and avoid "game degrees", in general, artists that go to traditional art schools (RISD, MICA, Pratt, etc) are far better long-term hires than people who are "game artists". The best artists I've ever worked with graduated college having barely used Photoshop and never Maya/Max. Their portfolios consist of paintings, illustration, and so on. They take way longer to ramp-up, but you can teach someone tools, but you can't teach them about light, composition, color, form, and so on. (Not to mention art school crits are more brutal than anything they'll ever face in their professional careers.)

Are you talking about hiring a 3d artist to a studio with no 3d art background?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Alterian posted:

Are you talking about hiring a 3d artist to a studio with no 3d art background?

Yup! For junior / intern spots, they're the investments that pay off.

edit:

concerned mom posted:

I half agree with you devilmouse. I think they should definitely have a good understanding of 3d though otherwise it would be insane trying to train someone up. What if they decide they don't like it?

You run that risk with any hire though. Sure the ramp-up investment of a few weeks of a mentor's time sucks to lose, but I've seen people from every discipline quit within a few months time for any number of reasons.

I don't want to get into a debate of 3D vs not, but if you asked them, they'd say it was just another medium akin to oils vs watercolors (just like a programmer has different languages they work in). Granted, this is a very long view that I take. If you need someone to slot into a production artist slot NOW to bang out some decor or an environment artist to push into your level creation pipeline, this isn't the way to go at all. I'm just talking about people who come out of school and where they "top out". The art directors / leads have almost universally in my experience gone to rigorous traditional art programs.

devilmouse fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 17, 2011

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I half agree with you devilmouse. I think they should definitely have a good understanding of 3d though otherwise it would be insane trying to train someone up. What if they decide they don't like it? Some investment! And you have to pay the person training them up to do just that. However I do agree that a fundamental understanding of art is invaluable.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!

devilmouse posted:

Nothing wrong with this opinion, but at all the companies I've worked at and the other ones I have connections with, some of them being AAA, I've never heard of them hiring a traditional artist and teaching them 3D even in entry level and intern positions. I've seen it with concept artists, but not 3d artists.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I can't remember if I posted this or not but I would like to learn to model. Where do I begin? What programs should I be looking at?

Please approach these questions as if I were an idiot (I am).

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!
Find some software. If you are a student you can get autodesk software for free it you sign up at students.autodesk with a .edu email. For beginners I recommend 3d Studio Max. You can also try the newest version of blender, it's free and open source. People might hate on it, but I love it. You can then start doing some tutorials. Search vimeo and youtube. You can also visit cgtuts. If you use blender you can go to blendercookie.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I can't remember if I posted this or not but I would like to learn to model. Where do I begin? What programs should I be looking at?

Blender is free and a pretty good program. You should also be pretty good with photoshop. There's lots of forums and tutorials out there. BlenderCookie has some good stuff. I taught intro to 3d modeling using blender at a high school this past spring with students who weren't artistic and had never touched a 3d program before so I can recommend it.

This is the textbook I used http://www.amazon.com/Blender-Foundations-Essential-Guide-Learning/dp/0240814304/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308316411&sr=8-3

It wasn't too bad for a blender book, but if I were you, I'd mess around with tutorials and see how far that gets you. All of that is 100% free!

Edit: Beaten by my husband :saddowns:

Alterian fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 17, 2011

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I am pretty good with photoshop and I have art and design qualifications but I was under the impression that you needed to 'sketch up' models in max or maya before you started working in blender.

If you're saying that's not the case then I'll check out that book. Cheers.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

-3dsmax
-Maya
-Softimage XSi

Choose one.

Max and Maya are both very popular, with Softimage trailing behind a little bit. You'll come across people who claim to be Max Guys or Maya People, as transitioning between programs is hard once you've learned how to model in one.

Chose one? Cool, now download the Tutorial files and tutorial sample scenes from the Autodesk website for your program and go through them one by one.

Once you've done those, start looking further afield for your tutorials. That'd be my advice :)

EDIT: Just reinstalled max 2011 oh my GOD it's so nice seeing a familiar UI and no retarded default settings ala Max 2012. ;_;

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I am pretty good with photoshop and I have art and design qualifications but I was under the impression that you needed to 'sketch up' models in max or maya before you started working in blender.
That's more the case with sculpting programs like Mudbox or Zbrush; Blender's a fully formed 3d package. And you don't even need to throw rough models together in Max or Maya or Blender to use a sculpting program, you can just start with the base ball shape and make something from there but you'll be dealing with a several million polygon model in the end unless you're really good/lucky/careful.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!
No blender is a fully functional 3d software package. It even has features that I like better than some of the big boys like Max and Maya.
These were both made completely in blender:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSGBVzeBUbk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsGyueVLvQ

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you're saying that's not the case then I'll check out that book. Cheers.

No. Blender does it all. Blender use to be kinda sucky, but the new Blender 2.5x is comparable to other 3d modeling packages. You can even do zbrush/mudbox type stuff in it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

devilmouse posted:

I don't want to get into a debate of 3D vs not, but if you asked them, they'd say it was just another medium akin to oils vs watercolors (just like a programmer has different languages they work in).

This is the key to your point, and it is valid whether the person has 3D in their portfolio or not. In my opinion, the real question is not "is this person classically trained or are they 3d only" but "does this person have an eye for design/color/lighting/shape language/style/etc instead of mere know-how in a program".

I think it is perfectly legitimate to expect finished environments in an environment portfolio, experienced or otherwise, and it's kind of weird to me that people would think otherwise.

Take this guy for example: http://www.brameulaers.com/

Remove his Bionic Commando work and he still has about 5 fully-fleshed out environments that he's done presumably just because.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
I have a indie developer friend who would like to get in contact with GameSpot about reviewing one of his DSiWare titles. Has anybody here dealt with them before/know how to get that rolling?

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Hiring artists with classical backgrounds was something that happened more often when the industry was younger and there were very few people with skills in the relevant areas. It's probably still a good bet today.

Andio
May 10, 2004

I had the phone interview today and it went really well. I don't expect a call back as he mentioned there are plenty of experienced Producers applying. It was something I enjoyed and feel privileged to have been given the opportunity to speak to them.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Classical training is a great benefit to any artist, although it isn't required. I'm self-taught 3d and have a business degree, and I would love to have more classical training. A lot of the classical skills that I have (understanding materials, observation and analysis, notions of form and color theory, etc) I learned bass-ackwards.

The problem with 3d-centric programs is that a lot of them skimp on the fundamentals, and if you spend all your time in college just learning software and not learning any of the fundamentals you will get hosed.

Even when you're photo-reffing an authentic M16, all of those fundamental skills come into play, from color theory (I think it actually becomes more important when you're working with something that is a 'fixed' color in the real world) to understanding form, and especially observation.

Most of my observation skills come from a lot of long walks on campus with my rendering programmer friend. Learning to observe how light interacts with colors, forms, materials, and then moving on to understand the construction of objects, shapes, wear and marking and damage, etc, is a really difficult to learn skill unless someone is walking you through it.

Monster - most people have suggested the things I would already, although I will say get involved in forums asap. Always be making something. Reading and watching tutorials makes you really good at reading and watching tutorials - you will learn faster and 'better' if you constantly work on something new and discover the problem areas on your own, so you can research them. A tutorial that dodges the pitfalls doesn't teach you where not to step, it teaches you to follow a line and when you steer away from it you will inevitably stick your foot in a hole.

I would avoid open source software just because there are more tutorials and better documentation for the commercial software. 3ds Max or Maya (I prefer Max, Maya is better for animation but not for poly modeling, and Max has a better tool in Render to Texture than Maya does Project Surface), read the documentation, work through the intro tutorials so you aren't stumbling over rotating poo poo, etc.

Read as many tutorials/watch as many as you can. Just don't think that lets you advance ahead on the "work out the bad" track. You're going to have to make a lot of poo poo work before you make anything good, and there isn't any shortcutting that.

Pick someone who you really admire as a 3d artist and observe their work and try to emulate and learn from that - you'll get a lot farther than comparing yourself to scrubs.

Aliginge posted:

Max and Maya are both very popular, with Softimage trailing behind a little bit. You'll come across people who claim to be Max Guys or Maya People, as transitioning between programs is hard once you've learned how to model in one.

I disagree - the transition is fairly easy, so long as you know enough about what you're doing in Max/Maya to understand the concepts - if your understanding of the workflow is 'I push this specific button and it makes Art' then you're going to have a hard time, but if you understand the higher concepts they're pretty easy.

Don't get me wrong, it'll take a couple of weeks to get up to 90-95% efficiency in the new program, but that's something that jobs will allow for (and its easier in a workpalce where you can turn around and ask Ben 'whats the button to bridge two open edges together with a new polygon?') and that's realistically not that long of a time.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 17, 2011

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Sigma-X posted:

To add to this, I would also say don't look for criticism on Deviantart or other ''artsy'' social boards. The spectrum of criticism is simply off the wall (From what i've seen at least).

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Odddzy posted:

To add to this, I would also say don't look for criticism on Deviantart or other ''artsy'' social boards. The spectrum of criticism is simply off the wall (From what i've seen at least).

Yeah, polycount, gameartisans, threedy, cgtalk - these are all good sites.
Deviantart is the worst. You want forums, not 'portfolio' sites.

Also if you're learning 3ds Max and have questions feel free to IM me - this actually applies to anyone in this thread:

SigmaX01

A lot of stuff when you're learning is a lot easier if you can just harass someone for an answer.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 17, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Sigma-X posted:

Most of my observation skills come from a lot of long walks on campus with my rendering programmer friend. Learning to observe how light interacts with colors, forms, materials, and then moving on to understand the construction of objects, shapes, wear and marking and damage, etc, is a really difficult to learn skill unless someone is walking you through it.
Hopeful graphics programmers, I hope you are doing this. A lot of my understanding of light and shadow, and the "sense" you get for when something looks right or wrong, and the gut instincts on what is wrong and what to try - I got it from this, right here. Walking around in the world, hiking, whatever'ing, with eyes wide open to what's around you.

If you're not stepping to the other side of little dividers so that you can look particularly closely at a bush in a pedestrian mall that's lit in a funny way, seeing how the shadow is cast from it onto your hand, laying on the grass under it so that you can get a better angle on how the light works through the layers of leaves, etc - you should be. Exploring the world around you is what will inform an instinctual approach to making things look awesome, unique or realistic as necessary.

You should also be staring at your hands and wiggling your fingers to get a sense for how the skin warps around the bones as you flex, getting a sense of how fabrics feel and how that feel translates into how they're lit / how the light scatters. That's how you get better with surface modelling and animation systems.

AI programmers should similarly pay attention to how people walk in groups, and how those groups interact. Physics programmers should be fascinated by how things move. Etc. You should be informing your approach to simulation with real-world experience, NOT just with books and equations that approximate something you've never looked closely at yourself.

(which means, amongst other things, if you ever find yourself modelling a gun or simulating its use, for pete's sake, go find a firing range and at least SHOOT A GUN already, consider playing a bit of paintball or laser tag, something, anything - the number of artists and programmers on combat systems that have never tried anything related boggles the mind...)

... and apparently this is how artists get it too, so yay artists, do this too I guess.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 17, 2011

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

walking around campus

I hope you didn't get your sense of color and texture from walking around!

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Got an email today from Raven about a design internship they want me to interview for! Hooray!
It's a good place to work. I'm currently enjoying a Friday-afternoon beer and some yay-we-hit-a-milestone pie. :)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Alterian posted:

I hope you didn't get your sense of color and texture from walking around!

I don't know what you're implying I should have done instead but like I said, I don't have a college level formal art background, most of my fundamentals come from high school and from self learning.

This is why I think a college program that stresses these is valuable - I didn't have it :)

Andio
May 10, 2004

Is it best practice to send a follow-up email after an interview? If so, does anyone have any examples of what should be in the email (Associate Producer role)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

Andio posted:

Is it best practice to send a follow-up email after an interview? If so, does anyone have any examples of what should be in the email (Associate Producer role)?

Absolutely yes. Always send a thank you note after an interview. Just thank them for their time and tell them how much you enjoyed talking to them and how excited you are about their company. If possible send it to the lead person you actually interviewed with, but if you don't have their information send the letter to the HR rep you've been working with and ask them to pass it on for you while ALSO thanking the HR rep.

It is never going to hurt your chances to send a thank you letter and as an example there is one job that I edged out some more qualified people for simply because I was the only person to bother sending a thank you. So thank you letters - they are awesome!