Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

Ah, yes, my assertions that a 5% difference in hit chance is "crippling" to a character. Those assertions I keep making about characters being crippled - literally crippled !! - if they have one less point of attack bonus! Gosh I sure am crazy for saying that so much!

Didn't you post just a few weeks back about how anyone suggesting an 18 in an attack stat was, in essence, a malicious liar trying to trap people?

Your position about 20s in attack stat has always been strident and vigorous to a remarkable extent. If you actually don't believe a character with an 18 in an attack stat is crippled -- if you can actually say that characters with 18s in attack stats are in your opinion suboptimal, but still viable and able to contribute to a party's effectiveness -- then we don't have that much of a disagreement.

Your absolutism on 20s strongly implies that 18s have an effectiveness gap such that the term 'crippled' is a valid descriptor. If you don't think that's accurate, then please state that 18s are, in your opinion, less effective but not overwhelmingly less effective than characters with 20s.

Because that's an opinion that leaves room for argument, instead of histrionics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Gomi posted:

Didn't you post just a few weeks back about how anyone suggesting an 18 in an attack stat was, in essence, a malicious liar trying to trap people?

Yes, I did. You are one of those people. What's your point?

quote:

Your position about 20s in attack stat has always been strident and vigorous to a remarkable extent. If you actually don't believe a character with an 18 in an attack stat is crippled -- if you can actually say that characters with 18s in attack stats are in your opinion suboptimal, but still viable and able to contribute to a party's effectiveness -- then we don't have that much of a disagreement.

gently caress off with this discourse cop poo poo.

quote:

Your absolutism on 20s strongly implies that 18s have an effectiveness gap such that the term 'crippled' is a valid descriptor. If you don't think that's accurate, then please state that 18s are, in your opinion, less effective but not overwhelmingly less effective than characters with 20s.

Because that's an opinion that leaves room for argument, instead of histrionics.

Actually, your insistence on the construction of strawmen implies that you don't actually have a valid reason to say any of the stuff you're saying.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, I did. You are one of those people. What's your point?

I was immediately addressing your "Oh I never said an 18 crippled a character" point. You maintained in the past and continue to maintain that an 18 in an attack stat is an indefensible choice -- why, then, the handwringing when I said, in essence, that you considered an 18 attack stat an indefensible choice? In any case, Adaz and myself, entre autres, disagree. As far as I can tell, the discrepancy comes from your valuing certain gameplay elements more highly than I do. And that's fine. Folks get to disagree about what they prioritize. You're trying to enforce your opinions as objective fact, however, which is slightly more difficult to accept. It is rather easy, though, to ignore. Which is what I'll be doing.

quote:

gently caress off with this discourse cop poo poo.

If you mean 'engaging your points and addressing them with relevant questions,' well, okay. You give me the impression of being really, really angry about people disagreeing with you on a minor point in a niche hobby. I don't really have anything to say that'll help with that.

quote:

Actually, your insistence on the construction of strawmen implies that you don't actually have a valid reason to say any of the stuff you're saying.

I've been arguing in good faith throughout, though I do recognize bare assertion is insufficient demonstration of anything. In any case, it's become clear we don't have much left to say to one another on the topic.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Gomi posted:

I was immediately addressing your "Oh I never said an 18 crippled a character" point. You maintained in the past and continue to maintain that an 18 in an attack stat is an indefensible choice -- why, then, the handwringing when I said, in essence, that you considered an 18 attack stat an indefensible choice? In any case, Adaz and myself, entre autres, disagree. As far as I can tell, the discrepancy comes from your valuing certain gameplay elements more highly than I do. And that's fine. Folks get to disagree about what they prioritize. You're trying to enforce your opinions as objective fact, however, which is slightly more difficult to accept. It is rather easy, though, to ignore. Which is what I'll be doing.

If you mean 'engaging your points and addressing them with relevant questions,' well, okay. You give me the impression of being really, really angry about people disagreeing with you on a minor point in a niche hobby. I don't really have anything to say that'll help with that.

I've been arguing in good faith throughout, though I do recognize bare assertion is insufficient demonstration of anything. In any case, it's become clear we don't have much left to say to one another on the topic.

No, Gomi, you were pretending to address my "I never said an 18 crippled a character" point. In fact what you were doing was an elaborate song and dance about how nice and reasonable you were being in an attempt to sweep your absurd strawman and tone arguments under the rug.

So, it's not surprising to me that this entire post is about how I'm "really, really angry" instead of, for example, a single shred of information that is actually relevant to the topic at hand. I don't really care about your estimations of your emotional state or, indeed, if you read my posts, I just wish you and people like you would stop pretending that you're doing new 4e players a favor when you tell them not to worry about maximizing their attack stat.

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

Maybe I just play with horrible metagaming DMs, but if I show up with an 11 con and a 10 strength in order to max my attack stack, I find that every Fort attack or surge-draining monster seems to end up directed at me.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Can we shut the gently caress up about this already? Like, if you two want to catfight take it to PMs or something but you're not even talking about CharOp anymore.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Meepo posted:

Maybe I just play with horrible metagaming DMs, but if I show up with an 11 con and a 10 strength in order to max my attack stack, I find that every Fort attack or surge-draining monster seems to end up directed at me.

That's what Great Fortitude, Durable, and Swift Recovery are for.

Locus Cosecant
Jan 12, 2008
It's not a "catfight", it's people giving bad charop advice in the charop thread and bitching when they get called out for it. If you're going to say things like "taking a 20 in your primary is usually a bad idea" in the charop thread, IDK why we even have a charop thread.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Locus Cosecant posted:

It's not a "catfight", it's people giving bad charop advice in the charop thread and bitching when they get called out for it. If you're going to say things like "taking a 20 in your primary is usually a bad idea" in the charop thread, IDK why we even have a charop thread.

Yeah, so keep it about ability scores and not "You said X" "Nuh-uh" "Yeah-huh". This discussion always ends in people getting catty and it comes up often enough to have gotten tiring. Ridiculous hyperbole like "anyone who says an 18 is okay is maliciously lying to you" and stupid strawmen like "If you're going to say things like 'taking a 20 in your primary is usually a bad idea'" really don't help anything either.

YES buying a 20 is usually the right choice.
YES sometimes there are reasons to go with the 18 instead.
NO an 18 doesn't cripple you but YES the 20 is a marked increase in performance.

Demonstrating that with math is good. Claiming that those who disagree are acting as part of an insidious conspiracy to ruin characters is dumb and unproductive.

Locus Cosecant
Jan 12, 2008

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

stupid strawmen like "If you're going to say things like 'taking a 20 in your primary is usually a bad idea'"

Allow me to quote from earlier in the thread!

adaz posted:

For most non-striker classes taking a 20 would be retarded, and even taking an 18 (before racials) might be too much.

That's no strawman, that's forums poster adaz. I know it seems implausible, but he actually said that! If anything, I toned down his strident language in the interests of believability.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Okay yeah, that is a pretty dumb thing to say.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I was considering playing an archer warlord, any advice on optimizing this guy:

http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhinxckEDA

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Human, Marshal
Build: Skirmishing Warlord
Warlord Option: Battlefront Leader
Commanding Presence Option: Skirmishing Presence
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Occupation - Military (+2 to Athletics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 10, DEX 8, INT 16, WIS 13, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 17, CON 10, DEX 8, INT 15, WIS 13, CHA 10

AC: 21 Fort: 21 Ref: 18 Will: 17
HP: 47 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +14, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, History +11, Intimidate +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +6, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, Insight +4, Nature +6, Perception +4, Religion +6, Stealth +1, Streetwise +3, Thievery +1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Warlord Feature: Battlefront Shift
Warlord Feature: Inspiring Word
Warlord Attack 1: Paint the Bulls-Eye
Warlord Attack 1: Risky Shot
Warlord Attack 1: Pin Cushion
Warlord Attack 1: Relentless Wounding
Athletics Utility 2: Bounding Leap
Warlord Attack 3: Staggering Shot
Warlord Attack 5: Create Opportunity
Athletics Utility 6: Mighty Sprint

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Focus (Bow)
Level 1: Bravo
Level 2: Harrowing Swarm Student
Level 4: Improved Skirmishing
Level 6: Action Surge
Level free houserule: bow expertise

ITEMS
Quenchquiver Longbow +2 x1 (flavoured to rifle)
Cloak of Distortion +1 x2
Magic Hide Armor +2 x1
Acrobat Boots (heroic tier)
====== End ======

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I played an Archer Lord for a while! (Until she got turned into a vampire and became a melee lord but that's an entirely different story.)

At some point, you're gonna want a greatbow, probably. Not like right this instant but when you have a feat free. Just an FYI for the future.

Also, what's the rest of your party like in terms of ranged or melee? Pin Cushion is good if you have a lot of ranged, but if you're more leaning towards Melee overall, you'll want something like Race the Arrow instead.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Proficiency in a Greatbow will boost your damage more than Weapon Focus. Alternately, Superior Crossbow gets you a +3 proficiency modifier, which is always nice; the tradeoff is that you'll want to take the Speed Loader feat if you go that route, so it's a bit more costly.

I'd probably switch out one of your at-wills for Direct the Strike; you should have allies whose basic attacks are better than Risky Shot. Many strikers (including rogues and warlocks, these days) can get their extra striker damage on off-turn attacks, fighters can mark an extra creature, and so on.

Pin cushion's effectiveness changes a lot based on party makeup since the bonus only applies to ranged attacks; if you have an archer ranger it's awesome, but if the only other ranged character is a blaster sorcerer or the like it's not very good. If you don't have one or more allies with good ranged attacks, consider something else; Race the Arrow is good and becomes amazing with a charger in your party, and Powerful Warning can potentially cancel an attack against an ally while granting the ally an extra attack that doesn't even take up one of your standard actions.

Knight's Move is probably a better level 2 utility for you; since you're at range you should be able to spare a move action to let an ally move into position.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

e: meh not worth it, death to ability scores

adaz fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 17, 2011

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tekz posted:

I was considering playing an archer warlord, any advice on optimizing this guy:

I would probably drop Mighty Sprint and take Reorient the Axis.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Staggering Shot is pretty poor: it's basically a subpar control power. I'd take Powerful Warning over it any day.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
this isn't much to go on I know, but I figured I'd ask here rather than someplace crazy hostile like the official site: I'm starting a campaign with some friends and I want some light optimization for my characters. I'm actually running two because we're low on players, so I'll just give you the concepts and hopefully you can tell me how to make em work.
1) Half Elf Artificer - Crossbow user: Not an optimal race, I know, but I really dig Dilettante and the character concept so I'm willing to bite the bullet. Pretty much I want to know how best to lay out my feats/stats/powers etc to get the best use out of him. All I really want on him is the Superior Crossbow access feat, and probably Crossbow Caster. We're starting at level 1, though, so I'm limited in my options.
2) Human Battlemind - Just made this one recently and am pretty vague on his details. Probably speedy and glaive wielding, but beyond that I'm game for anything.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, but note that we're playing a pretty casual campaign; I don't need perfect, but not-broken would be nice. Thanks!

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
For the artificer, put 18/14/11 in your Int/Con/Wis (if you want better riders from most powers and better temp HP granting, which pays off in paragon) or Int/Wis/Con (if you want better healing early on); personally, I'd choose the former. Either way, put your racial boosts in Con and Wis. Take Superior Crossbow as your first level feat and plan for Crossbow Caster to be your second level feat; having Crossbow caster won't matter til you get a magical crossbow, which may be a level or two. When you get to taking your expertise feat (probably at 4th), you'll want Versatile Expertise, since Crossbow Expertise only applies to weapon attacks. Ideally, your Dilettante should be intelligence based or not require an attack roll, which means you should be looking at Wizard, Warlord (for the no attack roll Direct the Strike or Commander's Strike), Psion, and Swordmage. You could pick something based on Wis/Con (whichever you end up with a 16 in), but your accuracy is going to suffer for it. Still, -1 to hit on a single encounter power will only make a difference once every 20 encounters or so, so its worth considering so long as you weren't planning on entirely building your charater around Dilettante at paragon.

Magic Weapon is amongst the top at-wills in the game, so definitely take that; your second at-will is more open. Punishing Eye is a pretty amazing daily that I'd recommend. I like Burning Weapon, Scouring Weapon, or Spike Wire for the encounter power; Artificers tend to be at their best when either boosting damage or chance to hit for their allies.

That should be enough to get started; just remember that healing tends to be secondary to granting attack/damage boosts or extra attacks, and that Artificers are particularly good at attack/damage boosts, and you'll be fine. I will note that the race is indeed not the best choice for the class; Magic Weapon is so good that you won't want to use other at-wills that often, so Dilletante isn't as good as it might be in some other classes. But if it's what you want to play, go nuts! :)

I don't know battleminds nearly as well, so I'll leave that for someone else to give ideas for. I'm going to guess that starting with a 20 con is going to be amongst the suggestions, though.

Sefer fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 17, 2011

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I'd argue for expertise over crossbow casting early - it's a guaranteed bonus VS. something you're not sure when will arrive.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

dog kisser posted:

2) Human Battlemind - Just made this one recently and am pretty vague on his details. Probably speedy and glaive wielding, but beyond that I'm game for anything.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, but note that we're playing a pretty casual campaign; I don't need perfect, but not-broken would be nice. Thanks!

A friend of mine is a (dragonborn) glaive wielding battlemind. His build is this at level 15: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=wave&srcid=FwLYBm9Y1&chrome=true&pli=1

I will say, as the DM of that group, it's an incredibly effective build for a defender. The key is the polearm gamble and polearm momentum combined with iron defense.

His usual strategy is to find a choke point close to our strikers and spend his standard on iron defense. Then, you wait until someone gets close enough to you to provoke your polearm gamble which thanks to being a glaive you can use a battlemind power (bulls strength) to push the target 3-4 squares (or more, just depends on items you have) and knock it prone. Or, if someone gets around him somehow he can still lightning rush to interrupt the attack and spend power points to regain his standard back the next turn to use on iron defense. If by the grace of god you hit him, it'll only do half damage most of the time anyways.

He has been incredibly difficult to kill, but it is more of a "passive" defender since you are really just setting yourself up and waiting for the enemy to come to you or target one of your allies. Iron Defense is incredibly awesome though. The lower than expected con is due to feat pre-reqs, but thanks to blade opportunist he gets a +2 to OAs which is basically all he ever uses anyways and makes up for it.

Dazed on his character is more effective than most since it really fucks up the entire build (man dazed on defenders is broken :()

e: not that you should necessarily build that exact thing, but it gives you an idea of why glaive (and the iron guardian paragon path) are so popular.

adaz fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 17, 2011

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
I really like my melee artificer. Staff expertise is just so drat good. I usually still use the crossbow in the first round or two but I've found that most of the powers I use on a regular basis aren't implement based anyway so it's really not that big a deal to pick up crossbow casting at all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There are a few Artificer implement powers that are very good, but you can skip them and take Speed Loader instead of Crossbow Caster.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Welp that's all really great to know. How successful are Artificers at being crossbow dudes, by the way? I kind of got a vibe from them that they could be used as a Green Arrow/Hawkeye utility arrow kind of character with their projectile weapon powers in addition to their other crazy, all over the place buffs and debuffs (all of which seem to additionally deal damage which is sweet).

Also I just saw that thrown weapons return to them automatically. That's... pretty cool.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

quote:

Also I just saw that thrown weapons return to them automatically. That's... pretty cool.

That's one of those things that's cool on paper. It won't apply after about 1st level (since all magic weapons do that) and you're not really going to be using a lot of thrown weapons anyway as an artificer (I mean, I guess you could...)

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Dr Nick posted:

That's one of those things that's cool on paper. It won't apply after about 1st level (since all magic weapons do that) and you're not really going to be using a lot of thrown weapons anyway as an artificer (I mean, I guess you could...)

Yeah, I figured as much. Does thrown count as a projectile attack/ranged weapon? I guess it would work for when I'm out of ammo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Thrown weapons can be used as melee or ranged weapons, but with 20 bolts in a quiver you really won't need a sidearm ever.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

As for my Artificer, what's the best way to ensure I actually hit with my crossbow? I won't be using Dex obviously, but how else do I raise my chance to hit?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

dog kisser posted:

As for my Artificer, what's the best way to ensure I actually hit with my crossbow? I won't be using Dex obviously, but how else do I raise my chance to hit?

You'll be making all your attacks based on Int, which is why you want that as high as possible. Superior Crossbows are +3 proficiency, so that helps, and then the Expertise feat (either Versatile Expertise if you're going for a mix of weapon and implement powers, or Crossbow Expertise if you're going weapon powers only) gives you another boost. Besides that, try to have combat advantage- take the Distant Advantage feat to benefit from your allies flanking a target, or rely on allies to do things like daze enemies that force them to grant combat advantage. Superior Reflexes will get you combat advantage the first round of a fight, when it's less likely that anything else has happened to give you CA. Magic weapon has a built in +1 to hit, which is a small part of why it's such a great power. That's about as much as you'll be able to do early on; later a mindiron crossbow (which is good to use anyway because of Psychic Lock in paragon) and a headband of intellect will get you another +1, and you could theoretically use consumables like potions of clarity and dual arrows, but that starts cutting into your wealth if you use too many of those.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

Sefer posted:

You'll be making all your attacks based on Int, which is why you want that as high as possible. Superior Crossbows are +3 proficiency, so that helps, and then the Expertise feat (either Versatile Expertise if you're going for a mix of weapon and implement powers, or Crossbow Expertise if you're going weapon powers only) gives you another boost. Besides that, try to have combat advantage- take the Distant Advantage feat to benefit from your allies flanking a target, or rely on allies to do things like daze enemies that force them to grant combat advantage. Superior Reflexes will get you combat advantage the first round of a fight, when it's less likely that anything else has happened to give you CA. Magic weapon has a built in +1 to hit, which is a small part of why it's such a great power. That's about as much as you'll be able to do early on; later a mindiron crossbow (which is good to use anyway because of Psychic Lock in paragon) and a headband of intellect will get you another +1, and you could theoretically use consumables like potions of clarity and dual arrows, but that starts cutting into your wealth if you use too many of those.

To reiterate: Don't use basic attacks (which use dex); use your artificer powers (which use Int).

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Well, I've taken a crack at building both. Let's see what you think:

My Artificer:
Knock, level 1
Half-Elf, Artificer
Background: Occupation - Military (+2 to Athletics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 11, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 16 Fort: 14 Reflex: 14 Will: 11
HP: 28 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Heal +5, Diplomacy +7, Perception +5, Thievery +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Bluff, Dungeoneering, Endurance +3, History +4, Insight +2, Intimidate, Nature, Religion +4, Stealth, Streetwise, Athletics +2

FEATS
Artificer: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Superior crossbow)

POWERS
Artificer at-will 1: Magic Weapon
Artificer at-will 1: Aggravating Force
Dilettante: Dishearten
Healing Infusion: Healing Infusion: Resistive Formula
Artificer encounter 1: Scouring Weapon
Artificer daily 1: Icebound Sigil

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Superior crossbow, Crossbow Bolts (20), Crossbow Bolt (18), Alchemist's Frost (level 1)
RITUALS
Brew Potion, Disenchant Magic Item, Enchant Magic Item, Make Whole
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

aaand My Battlemind:
Abesh, level 1
Human, Battlemind
Build: Quick Battlemind
Psionic Study: Speed of Thought

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 20, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 18, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 14.

AC: 17 Fort: 16 Reflex: 11 Will: 15
HP: 35 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +7, Bluff +7, Intimidate +7, Endurance +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana -1, Dungeoneering, Heal, History -1, Insight, Nature, Perception, Religion -1, Stealth, Streetwise +2, Thievery, Athletics

FEATS
Human: Focused Mind
Level 1: Melee Training (Constitution)

POWERS
Battlemind at-will 1: Twisted Eye
Battlemind at-will 1: Bull's Strength
Bonus At-Will Power: Whirling Defense
Battlemind daily 1: Steel Unity Strike

ITEMS
Scale Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Glaive
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

On your battlemind did you not want to use the polearm feats and heavy blade opportunity? It's pretty much the only reason to take a glaive - if you did want to use them you will need to redo your ability scores because you'll need 15 STR 15 DEX 15 WIS (wisdom only needed for the polearm feats, not heavy blade opportunity) to get them. If you don't want them I'd think about using a different weapon that does more damage and has a higher proficiency bonus.

e: I would really highly recommend heavy blade opportunity if nothing else and you are keeping your glaive, being able to use your battlemind at-wills with your opportunity attacks makes Melee Training: Constitution more-or-less worthless (unless you have a leader in your group handing out a bunch of MBAs to you for some reason) and your battlemind at-wills are usually going to be way better than your MBAs.

adaz fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 19, 2011

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

adaz posted:

On your battlemind did you not want to use the polearm feats and heavy blade opportunity? It's pretty much the only reason to take a glaive - if you did want to use them you will need to redo your ability scores because you'll need 15 STR 15 DEX 15 WIS (wisdom only needed for the polearm feats, not heavy blade opportunity) to get them. If you don't want them I'd think about using a different weapon that does more damage and has a higher proficiency bonus.

e: I would really highly recommend heavy blade opportunity if nothing else and you are keeping your glaive, being able to use your battlemind at-wills with your opportunity attacks makes Melee Training: Constitution more-or-less worthless (unless you have a leader in your group handing out a bunch of MBAs to you for some reason) and your battlemind at-wills are usually going to be way better than your MBAs.

Ah that's why it wasn't showing up! I'll reset my ability scores.

Wearsyourgodnow
Jul 21, 2009

I posted this earlier but it got drowned out by ability score chat

Wearsyourgodnow posted:

Now that the Executioner has access to an OAssassin daily through the new Shadow Master feat, it's possible to get access to Knock Out without having to limit paragon path options. (Shadow Master for the daily, Sneak of Shadows for rogue multiclass, Adept Power to swap dailies)

It takes three feats to get it, but maximizing the Assassin's Strike damage on a helpless target once a day and getting to keep the awesome Executioner paragon path seems worth the trouble. Would those two feats (sneak of shadows is a good feat by itself) really make the difference?

I should specify that this is a human build, and the plan is to do this as soon as you get access to Adept Power at level 10.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

dog kisser posted:

Ah that's why it wasn't showing up! I'll reset my ability scores.

Also, Polearm Gamble and Heavy Blade opportunity are paragon tier feats, but polearm momentum is heroic.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Wearsyourgodnow posted:

I posted this earlier but it got drowned out by ability score chat

I should specify that this is a human build, and the plan is to do this as soon as you get access to Adept Power at level 10.

Okay, so for the original (Dragon) Assassin:

The rogue multiclass is basically Skill Training, the feat, because you probably don't want to use a light blade (Dragon Assassins really, really want to use 2-handers) so the Sneak Attack isn't actually significant. Yes, it seems counter-intuitive, but O-Assassins really want to use Fullblades, full stop.

Yes, hitting a solo/elite with Knockout and then using an Action Point to CdD is really loving awesome. But in any day in which you do not encounter an elite or a solo, it's really not too much stronger than most other striker dailies, and the feat cost is pretty steep. So basically, it boils down to what the DM is likely to throw at you. For an LFR character, I'd say it's very strong but not be-all, end-all.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Hey there guys. I posted my Slayer a little while ago, and here's the only other character in the group that I have much influence over, the tank. My brother is playing a Knight, and like my slayer, has just dinged level 4. I adjusted his stats; he did have a 18 Str 18 Con, but wasn't using the Con for anything in particular. I traded out his Hammer Hands stance for Battle Wrath, first of all because I've never seen him use Hammer hands, and second because we need more killing power, and bad. For his level 4 feat I snagged Martial Versatility and Took Shield Edge Block (Imm. Reaction, -4 to enemy's attack, Str+2 vs Fort 2d6+Str damage) as I figured that was a better use of an encounter power than an extra d8 damage on a hit. Is there a better stance at this level to replace Defend the line with? Also, are there any magic items I should encourage him to pick up? I was thinking Bracers of Mighty Striking for the obvious +2 damage to 99% of his combat actions and maybe Gauntlets of Blood, because a dead mob is a good mob. Anyway, CharOP away!

E:His plate +1 has some extra properties to it, and we can feed it gems to level it up, so I think his primary defense should be set for life. Also, if it helps, our GM likes making custom monsters and plays a decent tactical game, and usually has a good mix of special nastiness waiting for us. There's usually at least one creature in a fight that attacks something other than AC.

Warforged, Knight
Knight Option: Shield Finesse

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 21, CON 13, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 10, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 8

AC: 23 Fort: 19 Ref: 15 Will: 14
HP: 51 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +10, Endurance +8, Intimidate +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, History +2, Insight +3, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +2, Stealth +1, Streetwise +1, Thievery +1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Warforged Racial Power: Warforged Resolve
Fighter Attack: Battle Guardian
Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura
Fighter Utility: Defend the Line
Fighter Utility: Battle Wrath
Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike
Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter Attack 3: Shield Edge Block

FEATS
Shield Finesse
Level 1: Master at Arms
Level 2: Toughness
Level 4: Martial Versatility

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Heavy Shield x1
Master's Blade Longsword +1 x1
Magic Plate Armor +1 x1
Thunderburst Throwing hammer +1
Feyleaf Vambraces (heroic tier) x1
====== End ======

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 19, 2011

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

adaz posted:

Also, Polearm Gamble and Heavy Blade opportunity are paragon tier feats, but polearm momentum is heroic.

Isn't Polearm Momentum Fighter only? That's what the Character Builder says.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yes. Slayers are Fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes. Slayers are Fighters.

Ha, sorry, that was in response to the earlier question I had about Battleminds.

• Locked thread