Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hammerite posted:

Is there a language that allows fallthrough inside switch, but requires you to explicitly declare it? Like this

That would be Perl.

http://perldoc.perl.org/Switch.html#Allowing-fall-through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Go has it too, but when I tried to google for a description I only found a yahoo answers page about why ghosts do not fall through floors if they can go through walls. :raise:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Vanadium posted:

Go has it too, but when I tried to google for a description I only found a yahoo answers page about why ghosts do not fall through floors if they can go through walls. :raise:

I swear Google chose that name to make it as hard as possible to find stuff about the language using Google but I can't imagine why

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Hammerite posted:

Is there a language that allows fallthrough inside switch, but requires you to explicitly declare it? Like this

code:
switch (myvar) {
    case 1:
        // stuff
        break;
    case 2:
        // stuff
        fallthrough;
    case 3:
        // stuff
        break;
    default:
        // stuff
}
and failing to use one of a certain set of acceptable statements* immediately before the next "case" label is an error?

* break, fallthough, return, exit, probably others

C# is pretty close with you having to use a goto to do a fall through. The break would be implicit.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Doc Hawkins posted:

Can't! I like this one:

I've seen this up in the QA pit where I work. Sometimes I'm surprised it doesn't have stab marks on it :smith:

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

csammis posted:

I've seen this up in the QA pit where I work. Sometimes I'm surprised it doesn't have stab marks on it :smith:

One of the guys in the apps division where I work has printed this out and stuck it on his cubicle. Given some of our recent outages it's pretty accurate.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Nb. Switch.pm is out of vogue for a whole host of reasons (most of which revolve around it being a source filter and having all the associated baggage) and that if you've got the luxury of a non-ancient perl you probably want given/when :)

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Doc Hawkins posted:

Can't! I like this one:

This is going to have to go up in my office after an experience a week ago where we broke all external file access in our application for a couple days after deploying a major update.

To be fair, the problem wasn't in any code that I wrote. To be unfair, I didn't test it under the same conditions that it would be running in production because what could possibly go wrong :suicide:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Munkeymon posted:

I swear Google chose that name to make it as hard as possible to find stuff about the language using Google but I can't imagine why

A complication that is entirely avoided if you always just search for golang instead

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

I have just the top prospect YOU are looking for. Whaddya say, boss? What will it take for ME to get YOU to give up your outfielders?

Bozart posted:

Wait, maybe my demented, drunken brain isn't working, but isn't CheckField a function that makes sure all characters in a string are members of that third argument, and while == true is probably redundant, and OK = true makes me hurt inside for some reason, and there is no reason for nesting (in what is probably a function which runs whenever an input textbox thing loses focus) it still works correctly?

Hell breaking out CheckField into another function is something that would merit a commendation compared to the code I run into at work.
Yeah this chunk of code was pretty :psyduck:. And, it did indeed work...I don't know how. Through the magic of jQuery, I condensed that all into:
code:
$('#txtSalePrice, #txtDownPayment, #txtLoanTerm, #txtInterestRate').focus(function () {
	$(this).removeClass('formError');
}).blur(function () {
	var value = $(this).val();

validForm = true;

if (!value.match(/[0-9\.]+/) && value != '') {
		$(this).addClass('formError');
		validForm = false;
	}
});
I'm not great at Javascript but this made me feel a lot better than the crap that was already there.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

JediGandalf posted:

Yeah this chunk of code was pretty :psyduck:. And, it did indeed work...I don't know how. Through the magic of jQuery, I condensed that all into:
code:
$('#txtSalePrice, #txtDownPayment, #txtLoanTerm, #txtInterestRate').focus(function () {
	$(this).removeClass('formError');
}).blur(function () {
	var value = $(this).val();

validForm = true;

if (!value.match(/[0-9\.]+/) && value != '') {
		$(this).addClass('formError');
		validForm = false;
	}
});
I'm not great at Javascript but this made me feel a lot better than the crap that was already there.

I don't know poo poo about javascript, but what you wrote isn't actually the exact same. The old code had one field with a decimal and 2 fields with $. Maybe it doesn't matter.

Also is golang worth learning at all? I have absolutely no time to learn it, but I just wonder why it would be useful in comparison to any other C language.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Vanadium posted:

The golang spec is pretty readable, including its section on switch statements. But yeah, break is implicit in cases, fallthrough overrides it.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Though you shouldn't use Switch.pm. It works via source filters and breaks in some odd ways. It's depricated but included for backwards compatibility. Use the built-in given/when (5.10+; http://perldoc.perl.org/perlsyn.html#Switch-statements) instead.

Edit: Beaten a long time ago by Otto; ah well.

Roseo fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 18, 2011

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

US banks think that asking you for both your password and your security questions is two-factor authentication.

Or password and a captcha based around a precalculated image which is always a word made up of four capital letters with the same RGB color, like so:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Fren posted:

A complication that is entirely avoided if you always just search for golang instead

That's fine if you want the docs and probably to find SO discussions, but if it ever gets really popular there will probably be plenty of people talking about it on blogs and whatnot without using the string 'golang'.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
code:
do 
{ 
    yaw = Rand(65535); 
} until( IsValid(yaw) );

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Bizarro Buddha posted:

code:
do 
{ 
    yaw = Rand(65535); 
} until( IsValid(yaw) );

I don't think this is so bad, as long as (a) the intent of the code really is to get a random "valid" yaw value and (b) the density of valid yaw values is high over the range of random numbers referenced.

The obvious other method (count the number of valid yaw values in the range, generate a random integer n at most as large as the count, choose the n'th smallest valid yaw value) may be quite a bit slower than this method if enumerating all the valid yaw values is difficult or the density of valid yaws over the range is large.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
It's hard to explain, but here's the service method:

code:
    public HashMap<String, String> changePassword(String currentPassword, String newPassword, String confirmPassword) {
        User user = getLoggedInUser();
        HashMap<String, String> errorMap = PasswordValidator.validate(passwordService, user.getPassword(), currentPassword, newPassword, confirmPassword);
        if (errorMap.isEmpty()) {
            encryptAndSave(user, newPassword);
        }
        return errorMap;
    }
PasswordValidator is "supposed to be" a loving client-side GWT object. Goddamn it. So much for modularity!

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Found this while trying to compile Wine on Mac OS X (yes, I know). :ohdear:

pre:
if [ -w / ] 
then
    echo "You are running wineinstall as root, this is not advisable. Please rerun as a user."
    echo "Aborting."
    exit 1
fi
I'm guessing verifying the user id, effective user id, user group or whatever would be too straightforward for them Windows emulations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

TRex EaterofCars posted:

code:
String currentPassword, String newPassword, String confirmPassword
No don't do that :(

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

No don't do that :(

Please explain.

To me it looks like your standard form where you input your current password and then your new password twice.

I assume that PasswordValidator.validate hashes the given currentPassword and compares it to the already-hashed user.getPassword().

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wheany posted:

already-hashed user.getPassword().

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that either:

1. They're not hashing passwords, or
2. That method is poorly-named.

And as much as I'm hoping it's 2, I'd have to put my money on it being 1.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Jabor posted:

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that either:

1. They're not hashing passwords, or
2. That method is poorly-named.

And as much as I'm hoping it's 2, I'd have to put my money on it being 1.

Well what does encryptAndSave(user, newPassword); do?

Encrypt the username?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wheany posted:

Well what does encryptAndSave(user, newPassword); do?

Encrypt the username?

Reversible encryption.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
Please keep in mind I didn't write this abortion.

Wheany posted:

Please explain.

To me it looks like your standard form where you input your current password and then your new password twice.

I assume that PasswordValidator.validate hashes the given currentPassword and compares it to the already-hashed user.getPassword().

Sort of.

What I posted is a service method, completely internal to the application. If it wants to set a new password it has the authority to just do it. It already has a reference to the repository layer.

What's happening is the service layer calls a GWT class (PasswordValidator) that requires that information. It's completely the opposite of the way data should flow in this application. Another fun facet of this shitbag program is that the PasswordValidator class is compiled to javascript by GWT and already performed (worthless) client-side validation, which necessitates sending the hashed password across the wire.

I hate this application.

Jabor posted:

Reversible encryption.

It's actually a sha hash, the method is simply named poorly. Of course since it's just a sha hash it's susceptible to rainbow table attack.

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead

TRex EaterofCars posted:

It's actually a sha hash, the method is simply named poorly. Of course since it's just a sha hash it's susceptible to rainbow table attack.

And bruteforcing, rainbow tables are typically not worth it anymore when you can leverage the speed of sha, and the power of multiple gpu's to bruteforce your way through your sha hashes.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Wheany posted:

Please explain.
Strings are immutable and persist in memory for an undefined amount of time, using char arrays and zeroing them after use is proper

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
code:
init: function(arg){

this.parent = new butt();

var parent_main = this.parent;

for(var index = 0; index < arg.length; index++)
	{
		var parent = parent_main;

var arg_key = arg[index].key;
		var a        = [arg_key];
		var par      = parent;
		for(var j = 0; j < a.length; j++) {
			 par = par.add(a[j]);
		}
	}
}
Who codes like this? :unsmigghh:

How many different variables do you need to refer to this.parent?

Why would you make a new array with one member, then iterate through that array?

e:Atleast his last commit was over 2 years ago :unsmith:

e2: THERE IS NO GOD!
code:
// global
var str;

some_thing.prototype = 
{
	initialize: function() {
	    this.make_string();
	    this.str = str;
	}

make_string: function(){
		str = "";
		str += "Why would you ever do this!?";
		str += " what the hell is wrong with you?";
	}
}

Wheany fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 22, 2011

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
:confused: Because returning a result in your function is functional and I hate Haskell
:confused: By assigning a global variable I save returning a string, which is clearly more efficient.
:confused: I declare the string before hand which allows the JIT to optimize the ... gently caress THIS I GIVE UP

Beef fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 22, 2011

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

code:
init: function(arg){

this.parent = new Node();

var parent_main = this.parent;

for(var index = 0; index < arg.length; index++)
	{
		var parent = parent_main;

var arg_key = arg[index].key;
		var a        = [arg_key];
		var par      = parent;
		for(var j = 0; j < a.length; j++) {
			 par = par.add(a[j]);
		}
	}
}
Okay, now that I've stared into the abyss the whole day, I understand what the code was trying to accomplish.

It's a tree component. "this" is actually the main tree container itself.
This.parent is not some parent component of the tree, because there is none. In reality "this" is the parent of all the nodes of the tree (the nodes have a field parentTreeObject or similar).

This.parent is actually the root node of the tree.
So, it in other words:
this: instance of class Tree.
this.parent: instance of class Node.

That for loop works by chance: par = par.add(a[j]);

Node.add creates a new child node and returns it, so if that code actually looped, it would create a string of child nodes to the root node, instead of a bunch of children for the root.

I'm not completely sure if that function is even supposed to create multiple children for the root, because the only place it is used, it called wit a single argument.

All in all, the whole file looks like someone was desperately just throwing poo poo code around trying to get it to work. :derp:

e: And because it works worked, everyone just averted their eyes and did nothing about it. It became a load bearing compost.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 22, 2011

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Strings are immutable and persist in memory for an undefined amount of time, using char arrays and zeroing them after use is proper

That does seem to make sense, but if the attacker is reading live memory aren't you pretty well hosed no matter what data type you used internally?

Besides, wouldn't most frameworks pass user data around as strings, anyway? Assuming it's working behind a web framework that's going to treat all data coming from the client as a String until it's explicitly converted, going to the trouble to then turn it back into byte arrays kind of pointless, right?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Wheany posted:

It became a load bearing compost.

I'm going to start using this term.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Profane Obituary! posted:

And bruteforcing, rainbow tables are typically not worth it anymore when you can leverage the speed of sha, and the power of multiple gpu's to bruteforce your way through your sha hashes.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I don't believe this is an issue for a web server. It's difficult to find a framework that doesn't already String-ify incoming parameters. Also, if your server has been compromised to the point that an attacker can examine the memory space of your running JVM then they probably already have root and you are hosed anyhow.

Brecht
Nov 7, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Is very strange and likely bad, this advice.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Brecht posted:

Is very strange and likely bad, this advice.

Not at all - it's a common thing to do if you're handling sensitive data and feel paranoid. And sometimes, being paranoid is the right approach.

Imagine e.g. that a bug in a server makes it possible to provoke it into returning chunks of its own memory - or that you can provoke a password-handling process into dumping cores in a directory where you'll have read access to them. Neither should happen, of course - but I'm sure both have.
(In other words, it's about reducing the damage an unexpected vulnerability can do.)

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
It's a very valid concern if you are doing encryption. You should NEVER EVER perform an encryption routine in Java where the private key has ever existed as a String.

That said, a password is not a private key and AFAIK there is no mechanism for obtaining a char[] / byte[] from the POST data without it being String-ified somewhere by the servlet container.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

TRex EaterofCars posted:

Also, if your server has been compromised to the point that an attacker can examine the memory space of your running JVM then they probably already have root and you are hosed anyhow.

Either that or you've got the remote debugger port enabled on a production system.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Either that or you've got the remote debugger port enabled on a production system.

I think that falls under the you are hosed anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

MEAT TREAT posted:

I think that falls under the you are hosed anyhow.

It also fits the spirit of the thread quite nicely, especially if you open a port in the corporate firewall to allow remote debugging after hours.