Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Jarmak posted:

"I'm sorry to bother you but I'm really curious because I'm from Canada and we don't have anything like that there"

I have been approached while in uniform and asked if I'm a US Marine. On the streets of Canada. This happens for a lot of reasons.

Many Canadians define their nationality by being as different as possible from Americans. To some this means being willfully disinterested in anything vaguely military. Notice the confused tourist was going out of her way to point how different Canada is because she doesn't even know what medals are.

Our military is also quite small by comparison, and has little visible presence among the general population. Unless you live near a large base, you will not encounter uniformed personnel, ever.

While not lacking pride, our forces also don't have the same attitude the US branches do. For example, when I was serving in a reserve Toronto unit, most guys would change into civilian clothing for the short commute home in the evening. I found this baffling. I was informed that the immigrant communities are scared and/or hostile to people in uniform.

No military in the world has the media presence the US military does. The sheer volume of movies, comics and videogames is just overwhelming. You have other countries making these half the time too. It's pretty bonkers. So to some mouth breather exposed to all that stuff, they will start to think the US is the ONLY military in the world. The best we got is some Paul Gross auto-fellatio project about WW1, and ONE Rainbow 6 operator.

There's an entire book called 'Who Killed the Canadian Military' that really gets into the anti-military attitude that prevails over a lot of Canadians. It's kind of baffling because The Netherlands, for example, is like a hippy mecca and yet they have Apache attack helicopters and a modern navy.

Well now I'm ranting. gently caress.

tldr: Canada is full of and ran by hippies who don't know or care to know much about their own military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Flanker posted:

Notice the confused tourist was going out of her way to point how different Canada is because she doesn't even know what medals are.

Might also want to point out the fact that Canada doesn't give medals away like candy. Most guys get a tour or a CD as their first medal.

Canada also has a troubled past with the military ( Somalia) and wearing your uniform outside base could get you jumped or have poo poo thrown at you.

One of my buddies from SW Ontario has been called baby killer and had poo poo thrown at him by people driving by while in uniform.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

It wouldnt be so bad if Canadians weren't force fed the peacekeeping myth so bad by successivel governments. This thread and maybe the TFR one are the only Canada based threads where the response to any news about the military isn't pages of whinging and :ohdear: militarization!

Canadian Soldiers? In my city?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Fraser CDN posted:

One of my buddies from SW Ontario has been called baby killer and had poo poo thrown at him by people driving by while in uniform.
I'm gonna guess Trenton, and right after Ol' Col. Williams had his fun.

Lt. Jebus posted:

This thread and maybe the TFR one are the only Canada based threads where the response to any news about the military isn't pages of whinging and :ohdear: militarization!

Canadian Soldiers? In my city?

I've never been treated negatively whilst in uniform in any city Canada-wide. All I've ever gotten were thumbs up or friendly smiles

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 31, 2011

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

Simkin posted:

Huh. They're not running a phase 4 this summer, or there just wasn't enough space due to all those RMC kiddies filling up the slots?

There are no RMC kiddies because they stopped sending people on phase training until they have their BBB profile. Which is gay as gently caress as now it is going to delay people getting fully qualified by a year.

Which means all the guys that were supposed to do ph 3 last year are now doing it this summer.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Well, I guess that'll keep the influx of new officers to the Bns to a minimum.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Wohoo Infantry School! GD on BMOQ-L! My summer is ready for fun.

To be fair, it's not a bad go so far. Since there is nothing to do while the course is in garrison, it's been show up at 9:30 leave at 10:00 for the day. Not too shabby.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Simkin posted:

Well, I guess that'll keep the influx of new officers to the Bns to a minimum.

The course last summer only had 10 out of 65 something candidates being from RMC. So it will be something but not huge

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Elgar posted:

There are no RMC kiddies because they stopped sending people on phase training until they have their BBB profile. Which is gay as gently caress as now it is going to delay people getting fully qualified by a year.

Which means all the guys that were supposed to do ph 3 last year are now doing it this summer.

Wow, considering the number of people I went to school with that didn't get their B's until 2nd semester, fourth year, that's got to hurt.

Although I guess they are putting them on SLT every summer until they qualify, which if they take slt seriously (which no one did when I went) would help speed things up

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
Trying to get certain administrative things done on a french base is impossible if you don't speak the language. I just spent over an hour trying to correct a form that was sent in wrong with the OR, and of course they assign me to a new private there that knows no english at all.

I can't wait to start my SLT so I can talk to people!

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I just got my first posting message and I'm going to 1 CER in Edmonton. I'm happy about this since it's where I wanted to go and a bunch of guys on my DP1 wound up getting screwed and stuck here at 4 ESR in Gagetown.

My only problem is that all my furniture and stuff is in storage in Ottawa, and I'm assuming that since I don't have a car the CF will pay for me to fly out west. Do they actually book a flight or just calculate your expenses and give you a check? Am I going to have to pay for a flight to Ottawa, pay to move my poo poo with a civvy company and then fly to Edmonton or is there some way I can get my moving expenses paid for? Is it worth taking down a random liscense plate and "driving" to Edmonton to get more cash to move my stuff?

Also, when I get to regiment do I just stay in the shacks and pay rations/quarters while I find a place? Do I need a memo or anything to get out of the shacks? I want to get a place off base with a buddy but we don't really want a PMQ. Will we get the PLD for living in Edmonton and how much exactly is it? I've heard anywhere from 400 - 800$ but it would be nice to know for sure so we can start getting an idea of what we can afford. Thanks boys I appreciate any help/advice.

Samu fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 4, 2011

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

As your posting to Gagetown was restricted (as in you couldn't take your stuff with you), this posting should be a full move to Edmonton, which means they [Brookfield Relocation Services] will perform a full move of all your Household goods and effects from Ottawa to Edmonton. As well you are entitled to 5 days back in Ottawa to aid in the move of your goods. The catch is they will either move all your stuff from Ottawa to Edmonton, or all your stuff from Gagetown to Edmonton, but not both (So hopefully you don't have a lot of crap in Gagetown now). If you choose to fly back all the bookings will be done on your behalf.

If you choose to "drive" back you'll get a different benefit package based on driving from Ottawa (because that's where they assume your car is) to Edmonton. Off the top of my head its 7 days accommodations and meals plus 52cents/km. I wouldn't recommend trying to defraud the system, in my experience they are much, much more vigilant than they have been in years past.

You should also be entitled to a House Hunting Trip (HHT) to Edmonton, which is a seven day paid trip to secure a place so that your HG&E has a destination (They absolutely hate it when you have goods in transit without a definite place to put them on the other end)

You can check your posting message to ensure you are entitled to full movement of HG&E, and you should also be directed to complete your pre-registration at IRP-PRI.COM

Your relocation consultant should have all the answers you are looking for, but in most cases they just tell you to read the policy here

PLD rates are Here (Scroll down). It still shows 684 dollars for Edmonton, but there have been serious rumblings that PLD is either going away or being severely reduced next year, so for once actually follow the official policy and do not factor in your PLD when calculating how much rent you can afford.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
that is dependant if you were allowed a car before. You can have a car from gagetown and drive from there. If you don't have a car I would suggest you get one. As then you can get paid to drive over there. Which if the car is cheap enough, pays for the car and the maintenance you will need on it.

However, do not, I say again do not, just use a license plate and falsely claim you have a car. That's fraud. For a few thousand bucks it is so not worth it. You can actually just get a car and then have your distance paid for. Plus, you have an actual car instead of a fake one. I would suggest not buying a stupid tricked out new car and instead get an old junker like a honda civic that will last you for a few years until you make a better pay grade. As I take it you are still Pvt right now and once you get to Cpl it is the biggest jump.

Also having a car allows you to move more poo poo, plus the fragile stuff or maybe stuff from home you wouldn't be able to move with brookefield. I know I am getting a trailer with my car so I can move a bunch of stuff on my own then have furniture from my parents house shipped when I get posted.

I thought travel was 500Km a day? And, you may be able to hop through the US for cheaper gas. as that is what a few of my friends have done.

But as Lt Jebus said, check through all this stuff with your adviser and if they don't know you can talk it over with someone in your orderly room.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Elgar posted:

I thought travel was 500Km a day? And, you may be able to hop through the US for cheaper gas. as that is what a few of my friends have done.

It is. If he drives from Gagetown it would be about 10 days. Its seven from Ottawa to Edmonton.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Lt. Jebus posted:

It is. If he drives from Gagetown it would be about 10 days. Its seven from Ottawa to Edmonton.

Right. I just did the distance from gagetown.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Thanks guys I appreciate the info. We haven't met with Brookfield at all yet and it's pretty hard to get reliable information from anyone. I never wanted to commit fraud but I asked because apparently a bunch of guys do it to game the system. Can I CMTT my millitary kit from Gagetown to Edmonton and my stuff in storage from Ottawa to Edmonton seperately using the moving service?

How sure are you that they're looking to get rid of PLD? Because without it I might be screwed in terms of being able to find a decent place out west.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Samu posted:

Thanks guys I appreciate the info. We haven't met with Brookfield at all yet and it's pretty hard to get reliable information from anyone. I never wanted to commit fraud but I asked because apparently a bunch of guys do it to game the system. Can I CMTT my millitary kit from Gagetown to Edmonton and my stuff in storage from Ottawa to Edmonton seperately using the moving service?

How sure are you that they're looking to get rid of PLD? Because without it I might be screwed in terms of being able to find a decent place out west.

CMTT and brookefield are two completely different things so there is no reason you cannot. It will probably make it a lot easier for you as you then don't have to haul around all your kit.

Probably with new budget restrictions and what not they could get rid of it. Again, don't rely on it. You can get a place. It just might not be the best place.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Samu posted:

PLD will always be on the line. You can't can't can't rely on it in your financial planning. Which, yes, defeats the entire purpose of it, but what can you do.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

ub posted:

PLD will always be on the line. You can't can't can't rely on it in your financial planning. Which, yes, defeats the entire purpose of it, but what can you do.

Also LDA, they're always threatening to scrap it and go back to field pay

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
I am not an engineer, but having worked closely with a bunch of engineers overseas and trading stories, I get the impression their regiments works much the same as 1VP for admin purposes. So you probably will have to write a memo to move out of shacks, but it's not usually a big deal. They should pretty much automatically approve it.

Also, *do* move out of shacks. I strongly doubt they'll shitcan the PLD any time soon, and when I moved out as a private I actually *made* money because they make dudes in the shacks pay an absurd amount of money for the privilege of eating at the mess. Unless they toned it down in the last several years.

If you end up in Heavy Equipment let me know.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Also LDA, they're always threatening to scrap it and go back to field pay

LDA will be gone. Lt. Gen Leslie I believe come in and speak to us. It's gonna be scrapped, they are just working on how to implement its replacement.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

They should scrap sea pay and come up with something that doesn't reward all the useless plugs that manage to get out of every sailing.

Its particularly bad in the Submarine world, as we have very little depth (ha) of personnel, and thus you get guys on their 2-3 year shore tour that are doing more sailing that people posted to a boat (and getting sea pay and subca)

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Lt. Jebus posted:

They should scrap sea pay and come up with something that doesn't reward all the useless plugs that manage to get out of every sailing.

Its particularly bad in the Submarine world, as we have very little depth (ha) of personnel, and thus you get guys on their 2-3 year shore tour that are doing more sailing that people posted to a boat (and getting sea pay and subca)

In the surface world at least if you're sailing then you're most likely AP to the ship and collecting sea pay anyway. What sucks is if you're in a shore billet and AP to a ship sailing for 6 or more months they still consider that your shore posting. Yaay.

I agree in principle though: change sea pay to a per diem rate that's only dished out on days spent at sea (or more generally, away from home) and it would act as a more direct compensation for the extra hours spent "at work"

On the other hand, there is more hardship to being posted sea-going unit than simply being at sea. Having an ever-changing and uncertain sailing schedule can make for a pretty poo poo life for the days you are alongside. You can't really commit to anything that requires regular attendance, not to mention strain on any sort of relationship you're trying to build or maintain. Comes with the job though. :)

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Morristron posted:

I am not an engineer, but having worked closely with a bunch of engineers overseas and trading stories, I get the impression their regiments works much the same as 1VP for admin purposes. So you probably will have to write a memo to move out of shacks, but it's not usually a big deal. They should pretty much automatically approve it.

Also, *do* move out of shacks. I strongly doubt they'll shitcan the PLD any time soon, and when I moved out as a private I actually *made* money because they make dudes in the shacks pay an absurd amount of money for the privilege of eating at the mess. Unless they toned it down in the last several years.

If you end up in Heavy Equipment let me know.

Yeah I'm definetly going to make money when I move out. We pay like 550$ for the priviledge of eating terrible mess food. There's no way I stay in the shacks, I loving hate sharing a room with other dudes and a year of it is more than enough.

I think you do need a memo to move out of the shacks, but they never get denied. Even on PAT a bunch of guys got permission to move off base and all our instructors have told us to get out of the shacks ASAP and get off paying for rations/quarters.

I want to push more towards the IEDD/EOD side of things, but I'll pretty much take any course I can get, so heavy equipment isn't out of the question.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

ub posted:

On the other hand, there is more hardship to being posted sea-going unit than simply being at sea. Having an ever-changing and uncertain sailing schedule can make for a pretty poo poo life for the days you are alongside. You can't really commit to anything that requires regular attendance, not to mention strain on any sort of relationship you're trying to build or maintain. Comes with the job though. :)

Agree, but swap 'Sea' for 'Field' and 'sailing' for 'exercise' and you've just described the Army as well. Whatever solution they find we should at least give a look at (but we wont). The sub world is extra hosed up because we get Sub Crewing allowance only when we are posted to a boat (or sea training) not attach posted so a ton of guys are getting gently caress out of thousands of dollars (because if you are continuously getting Sub crewing for more than 2 years you can still get it for up to three years after you are done on the sub, but tons of attach posted people can't claim it)

Furthermore they don't have a Home Port Div to hide behind so they get posted away every few years as well, which I find is much harder on relationships even than going to sea for a few months a year.

As an aside, what trade are you? Genuinely curious. You should come out to a Victoria Goon meet when I get back to the area. There are some legit good people out there.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Yea you need to write a memo to get out of the shacks. Keep in mind a memo to get out of the shacks is approved by your battery commander and usually rubberstamped in a day. Moving into a pmq is approved by the CO and will loving forever

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Lt. Jebus posted:

As an aside, what trade are you? Genuinely curious. You should come out to a Victoria Goon meet when I get back to the area. There are some legit good people out there.

NCIOP. Got a buddy on Corner Brook (same trade) who's always trying to sell me on sub life but I not convinced I'd make a good fit. They're lovin' their west-coast reception btw (not).

I'm down for a meet; hopefully I won't be half-way to Libya before you're back.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Sounds like the managed to ground the Corner Brook today, or at least bounce her off the botom:

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/236477--submarine-strikes-bottom-near-vancouver-island

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Yeah, they were in the middle of command training too. I got a text from a buddy of mine on the Corner Brook as they were surfaced and closing in on Esquimalt. No one was seriously injured, but it made for some terrifying few minutes.

If you are wondering, there are normally a few key pieces of equipment and some very clear procedures to keep this from happening. I won't speculate as to what happened but I'm sure I'll get the full story tomorrow...

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Had a quick chat with my buddy on the Corner Brook and unsurprisingly they're under strict orders to not blab about what happened pending the inevitable board of inquiry. Thankfully he's alright though one of his subordinates was injured. He said it was the most frightening thing he's ever experienced on a sub.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hahaha that thread about US Army dudes being forced to claim baggage costs for travel reimbursement in GBS makes me laugh. Has anyone here EVER been given travel claim money up front? hosed if I ever have.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

MA-Horus posted:

Hahaha that thread about US Army dudes being forced to claim baggage costs for travel reimbursement in GBS makes me laugh. Has anyone here EVER been given travel claim money up front? hosed if I ever have.

All the time? You put the paperwork in before you leave and you get the money as an advance. At least that's how its always worked for me.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Its a lot more of a bitch now that you have to do DFT. I've never seen any money in my account earlier than 10 days so for ultra short notice travel its always out of pocket.

I don't know why the CF hates Cheques so much now.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Hizawk posted:

All the time? You put the paperwork in before you leave and you get the money as an advance. At least that's how its always worked for me.

drat. I've been out two years and claims have gotten THAT good? It used to be a week turnaround or so, or it went on your next pay.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

drat. I've been out two years and claims have gotten THAT good? It used to be a week turnaround or so, or it went on your next pay.

Even if it is a week turn around, you can just put it on your credit card then pay that in a week.

I never really cared about excess as I always got reimbursed

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

It's been like this for me at least since I got in in 2005.

edit: for the record, traveling with in a big group with the military (or as a small group on a commercial flight with guns or hey even without guns) is a gigantic pain in the rear end and I never want to fly again.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

acumen posted:

It's been like this for me at least since I got in in 2005.

edit: for the record, traveling with in a big group with the military (or as a small group on a commercial flight with guns or hey even without guns) is a gigantic pain in the rear end and I never want to fly again.

Yup. My last ex we flew westjet out to Wainwright. Couldn't fit all our kit onto the 737s so my ruck arrived 2 days late. While I was in the field.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
Is that self ID for deployments online bullshit thing still up? Can someone link me to it?

Been home almost a year...getting bored again....

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzx_3Ote6c

Saw an add for this on Global.

Portrays doctors and nurses from Canada, the U.S., the U.K. and other allied countries saving lives and limbs in a war zone military hospital modeled on a real facility in Afghanistan.

I hope its like MASH but now adays. Filmed in Toronto so I shouldn't keep my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Watched a longer preview. It'll be doctors having sex with each other again.

Pass.