Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

SpacePig posted:

Some can be sort of boring if you're not used to the show, though. Spaghettageddon is funny from beginning to end, and gives you a good idea of the McElroys' sense of humor.

Yea, Spaghettageddon is the episode that's like 'ok if you don't like THIS one there's no way you're going to like any other ones'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Haha are you STILL going on about this? You bitched about something that wasn't true and no one had any idea what you were talking about, then got really defensive when that was pointed out.

What I've learned from this thread is goons are still never satisfied with anything and will poo poo up a thread with bitching about shows that they don't necessarily even listen to.

This is what a goon looks like when he's spazzing.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I've been listening to a lot of The Complete Guide to Everything lately, it's become my favorite podcast.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Evil Agita posted:

This is what a goon looks like when he's spazzing.

Man, this is never a cool thing to do.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Cactrot posted:

I've been listening to a lot of The Complete Guide to Everything lately, it's become my favorite podcast.

This one needs more love. I started listening to it based on this thread, and it's great. They've been really good lately with the insane Tom Bergeron/Zooey Deschanel chat.

I just listened to the latest JJGo, and the game with Greg Behrendt and Josie Long was fantastic. They really need to do whole the "three real things with silly names and one we made up" bit more often.

Mogambo fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 14, 2011

widunder
May 2, 2002

Mogambo posted:

This one needs more love. I started listening to it based on this thread, and it's great. They've been really good lately with the insane Tom Bergeron/Zooey Deschanel chat.

I just listened to the latest JJGo, and the game with Greg Behrendt and Josie Long was fantastic. They really need to do whole the "three real things with silly names and one we made up" bit more often.
Another heads-up for TCGTE. Tim and Tom's chemistry is really amazing. Also, Tim is loving funny.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
So on Joe Rogan's videoblog with Duncan he started talking about how the podcast will be on TV.

That's pretty awesome!

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

-Atom- posted:

So on Joe Rogan's videoblog with Duncan he started talking about how the podcast will be on TV.

That's pretty awesome!

Do you have a link to the videoblog? I love Duncan and want to see everything of his now.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Evil Agita posted:

Do you have a link to the videoblog? I love Duncan and want to see everything of his now.

http://vimeo.com/24967216

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

nemoulette posted:

Another heads-up for TCGTE. Tim and Tom's chemistry is really amazing. Also, Tim is loving funny.

Yeah, I've listened to plenty of podcasts that fit the format of "two guys just talking about whatever" and TCGTE is the only one I still listen to. It's not even that it's constantly hilarious, although it certainly has its moments; their chemistry is just more pleasant to listen to. Very friendly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm catching up on WTF and I can't for the like of me work out if these Ray Romano calls are staged or not.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

I'm catching up on WTF and I can't for the like of me work out if these Ray Romano calls are staged or not.

I'm willing to bet that they're not but I can't figure out if that makes them funnier.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Those promos are obviously planned (as ad spots), but they're improv.

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.

Fil5000 posted:

God I hope so, either way they make me cringe.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

substitute posted:

Like Penis envy, I'm hoping this is the case - from what I've heard of WTF Maron could so easily be the type to make this sort of call and I know he's mentioned before (on, I think, the Phil Rosenthal one) that he knew Ray already, so he might honestly think calling him like this is perfectly reasonable.

Oh god, now I've reminded myself of Scott Auckerman's impression of Ray Romano.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

substitute posted:

Yeah Ray Romano definitely sounded like he knew what was going on. Marc also did this with Adam Carolla not long ago, and Carolla right away sounded like he knew he was on and it was part of a bit, he plugged his show and started launching right into one of his complaints. Marc had to have set that one up ahead of time, especially since in all the time I've been listening to Carolla, he's said he basically never answers his phone.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Brian Posehn revealed on the Joe Rogan podcast that he's planning his own podcast that will be released through Earwolf. I'm... cautiously optimistic.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Binowru posted:

Brian Posehn revealed on the Joe Rogan podcast that he's planning his own podcast that will be released through Earwolf. I'm... cautiously optimistic.

If it's an hour of him yelling in an exasperated tone I'm down.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!

dancehall posted:

Yeah, I've listened to plenty of podcasts that fit the format of "two guys just talking about whatever" and TCGTE is the only one I still listen to. It's not even that it's constantly hilarious, although it certainly has its moments; their chemistry is just more pleasant to listen to. Very friendly.

I'm definitely getting my dad a macaroni massager necklace for father's day!!

mid
Aug 2, 2002

Bang.
Todd Glass also recently announced through Twitter that he will have a podcast, The Todd Glass Show, through Nerdist. Exact date will be announced next week.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
I'm starting to be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of comedians that I like that have begun recording podcasts.

There needs to be some sort of podcast site that rates and has a comment section for individual episodes.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

More and more comedians are realizing it is a perfect platform for them to explore their talent as well as selling more merch and shows.

Chris Hardwick mentioned that since he started doing the Podcast he's had more ticket sales over all at his standup gigs than he ever did going on radio or other shows to plug his stuff.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Geekslinger posted:

More and more comedians are realizing it is a perfect platform for them to explore their talent as well as selling more merch and shows.

Chris Hardwick mentioned that since he started doing the Podcast he's had more ticket sales over all at his standup gigs than he ever did going on radio or other shows to plug his stuff.

Yeah, pretty sure all Rogan does now is mention where he's going to be on his podcast and post on twitter, I don't think he does much morning radio to get the word out or anything like that anymore.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Heteroy posted:

I'm starting to be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of comedians that I like that have begun recording podcasts.

There needs to be some sort of podcast site that rates and has a comment section for individual episodes.

The Onion AV Club does a wrapup once a week called Podmass. They do brief summaries of the best podcasts of the week and will also point out ones that are skippable if you're overwhelmed.

Splitsider also does This Week in Comedy Podcasts which covers some of the same ground.

They don't really have numerical ratings, but in both cases there are user comments for the whole list.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
http://aspecialthing.com/forum/f27/ also hosts a lot of podcast discussion.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Geekslinger posted:

Chris Hardwick is kind of a douchebag. I suppose it's all to do with his "Nerdist" personality, but all he does is walk all over everybody to announce who he knows/has talked to/met name dropping. He's also of the mind that he's way funnier than he actually is. I've listened for a long time, but at this point all I can think is "Welp, here goes this nerd luxuriating in how cool he is." He literally won't shut up or let anyone talk until he can reveal how he knows whatever comic artist, actor, whatever to the point that he sounds like a 10 year old kid. I'm on the brink of deleting it.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
GRRRRAWWWW LOOK AT ME I'M SO ANGRY ABOUT PODCASTS!!!

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Chris Hardwick is kind of a douchebag. I suppose it's all to do with his "Nerdist" personality, but all he does is walk all over everybody to announce who he knows/has talked to/met name dropping. He's also of the mind that he's way funnier than he actually is. I've listened for a long time, but at this point all I can think is "Welp, here goes this nerd luxuriating in how cool he is." He literally won't shut up or let anyone talk until he can reveal how he knows whatever comic artist, actor, whatever to the point that he sounds like a 10 year old kid. I'm on the brink of deleting it.

I really like when they get on a good guest that I like, but other than that I have a hard time convincing myself to listen to it primarily for all the reasons you mentioned. The nerd culture that they revel in -- the Dr. Who/Joss Whedon etc stuff or whatever--it's not something I can identify with, and yeah, they're often just not funny.
One of the podcasts had standup from both Hardwick and Jonah, and they were the two worst sets by far.
I feel like I should clarify that they do not offend me in any way; I don't think they are offensive, just really, really annoying. AV Club's bit in their podcast breakdown about their Zooey Deschanel podcast succinctly sums up my issues with the Nerdist.

Marc Maron, for all his neuroses that can get a bit grating, is still to me a great interviewer and is very good about getting interesting conversation out of his subjects. (These are the only two comedy podcasts I have been checking out, so they're my only standard)

I AM ALSO ANGRY ABOUT FREE THINGS

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Hey guys! KISW's own BJ Shea, The Reverend En Fuego (hey that's me!) and Vicky Barcelona have created a weekly podcast where we talk about all things geek! From comics, to video games, to movies and television, we're setting out to make an entertaining (yet informative) podcast for those who love all things geek!

In addition to us, we have our correspondent Gareth from https://www.sknr.net to give us the inside scoop on all the things we (and hopefully you!) love!

It can be downloaded at the link below: http://www2.kisw.com/listen/category/BJ+Shea+Geek+Nation

We also have a Twitter Page: http://twitter.com/#!/bjgeeknation as well as a Facebook Page: http://on.fb.me/inNO0t

We love feedback, and want to hear what you think and what you would also like to hear us talk about!

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

After hearing who the beeped shithead was in last weeks DLM I have to agree that it was pretty tasteless and I'm glad Doug censored did it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
In Judge John Hodgman, it seems like Jesse has been interrupting more and more as it's gone on. It gets pretty infuriating at times, and I honestly can't tell if John minds it or not. He sounded a bit peeved in this week's, but I could've jsut been hearing things.

Regardless, Jesse needs to shut up until he's asked something, or is in chambers with John.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

SpacePig posted:

In Judge John Hodgman, it seems like Jesse has been interrupting more and more as it's gone on. It gets pretty infuriating at times, and I honestly can't tell if John minds it or not. He sounded a bit peeved in this week's, but I could've jsut been hearing things.

Regardless, Jesse needs to shut up until he's asked something, or is in chambers with John.

I just listened to the one about Den vs. Office and couldn't believe it when he made some callback to his own podcast and started talking about how the callers had agreed to do some dumb poo poo like pick "Rockit" for their last name.

Red Fructidor
Jan 8, 2004

Geekslinger posted:

After hearing who the beeped shithead was in last weeks DLM I have to agree that it was pretty tasteless and I'm glad Doug censored did it.

..........and who would that be?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

SpacePig posted:

Jesse is the most insufferable dude.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Red Fructidor posted:

..........and who would that be?

It was about a trial for a woman who killed her baby, and the name was that of the baby. Doug didn't recognize it until seeing the news a few days later, and felt it was inappropriate. Or that if he was going to tell such a dark joke, he'd have to frame it properly.

The latest episode in which he explains this is pretty good, but the Leonard Maltin game is really short. Adam Scott and Jon Hamm were awesome. Bill Simmons, somewhat less so.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

shotgunbadger posted:

I don't know if I can enjoy Judge John Hodgman as much since realizing that it's the same Jesse that gets relentlessly mocked for Jordan Jesse Go.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

shotgunbadger posted:

He can be funny, or make humorous observations, but every time he tries to interject himself in the "case", he just breaks up the flow of the podcast, and brings things to a grinding halt. I honestly don't mind him when they're clearing the docket or whatever, but during the cases, his attempts at spontaneous humor are just bsd.

Red Fructidor
Jan 8, 2004

benito posted:

It was about a trial for a woman who killed her baby, and the name was that of the baby. Doug didn't recognize it until seeing the news a few days later, and felt it was inappropriate. Or that if he was going to tell such a dark joke, he'd have to frame it properly.

The latest episode in which he explains this is pretty good, but the Leonard Maltin game is really short. Adam Scott and Jon Hamm were awesome. Bill Simmons, somewhat less so.

:stare: Thanks, I was not expecting that.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
It defies belief how James Adomian continues to top himself each time he comes on CBB. Everything Dov Charney said was purestrain hilarity.

"I'll put you in my magazine and rename you 'Belissa'. Belissa lives in a cloud, he likes blank vinyl records, sidewalks and he's a big fan of sliding."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

SpacePig posted:

He can be funny, or make humorous observations, but every time he tries to interject himself in the "case", he just breaks up the flow of the podcast, and brings things to a grinding halt. I honestly don't mind him when they're clearing the docket or whatever, but during the cases, his attempts at spontaneous humor are just bsd.

I'd put up with any amount of Jesse Thorn to get more of John Hodgman's patronizing conversations with insufferable hipsters.

• Locked thread