Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Lemme just say that watching this game unfold and hearing your thoughts and strategies play out is terribly exciting. Just want y'all to know I really appreciate it! It'd be fantastic if this became a frequent occurrence in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

giogadi posted:

Lemme just say that watching this game unfold and hearing your thoughts and strategies play out is terribly exciting. Just want y'all to know I really appreciate it! It'd be fantastic if this became a frequent occurrence in this thread.

Yeah, this is really interesting.

Also, sorry I haven't been playing much lately, I feel like I'm letting lovely down!

Zeh
Jul 9, 2006
i <3 segway

JayMax posted:

Yeah, this is really interesting.

Also, sorry I haven't been playing much lately, I feel like I'm letting lovely down!

You let us all down J. All of us :'(

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Zero The Hero posted:

Does that mean in less than a month? I only have time for about 1 game a day, really(in between my other gaming - Starcraft 2), and I haven't played at all since I joined the SA room. I'd really like to get in a 1 game a day routine, though. I would really like to hit SDK. My eventual goal would be 1dan, past that, I care much less - but I'd like to hit SDK some time soon.

It took me (a complete clueless) 6 months to get to SDK, and I played at least one game a day, usually more. I also read a couple of books and did some problems.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm 15k after a few months of a game every few days and no studying. I doubt I'll get to much further without study. Then I have to choose if I like Go enough to study it. Hmm

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

It took me (a complete clueless) 6 months to get to SDK, and I played at least one game a day, usually more. I also read a couple of books and did some problems.

Yeah but how many of those game were you drunk out of your mind for buddy

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

All of them. All. of. them.

Zeh
Jul 9, 2006
i <3 segway
You have to find an equilibrium between studying and playing to get better at Go. You can't play without learning how to play and you can't learn how to play without playing.

If I could start over with Go I would have definitely taken a more studious approach. You don't understand much from 30k to 20k so playing is the best tool. However, once you start getting into the teen kyus, you need to start building the foundation that your Go will stand upon.

Otherwise you'll end up burning out on Go like several goons before.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
You certainly can't do all of those things and be drinking too, I'll tell you hwhat--

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club

I was expecting him to play H15, but his way of playing also seems feasible.
This way we both start building our own little moyos, him on the right and me on the left. Also, my move has to absolutely be on J15. If I just make a one-space jump to H15, I'm going to feel short-changed when he plays the knight's move at J14. I can't play anywhere else, of course, because then black would play H15 and make my H17 stone useless and also make a very nice framework.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I just wanted to add that as much as I talked about h15 and how great it was over the last few posts the fact is that I absolutely couldn't afford to let m5 go. If white plays there he ruins my f2 aji and enlarges his moyo at my expense. Since I really don't intend to fight him under any circumstances, when push came to shove it was time to trade h15 away for a move I was more comfortable with. If I keep with this strategy, the denouement will probably be as so:

1. We make some moyos.
2. Mine is bigger, so he invades. Where he invades will tell me a lot about how confident he is; I'll be most worried if he plays something like q2 because that means he doesn't think he has to risk much to win. Hopefully I won't gently caress this part up too badly.
3. Inevitably I'll gently caress up badly enough that I have to invade him back. Fortunately, his moyo is not quite as strong as mine, so as long as I am very very careful about the f2 aji I can make it fully into the endgame and try to win through painstaking effort.

Zeh
Jul 9, 2006
i <3 segway

giogadi posted:

Why don't you join us (unless you already have)?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Zeh posted:

Why don't you join us (unless you already have)?

I've sorta joined; I'm one of those pathetic cowards that enjoys thinking about/watching the game more than playing it. I've picked it up and dropped it more times than I can count, but no matter what there's always this guilt at the back of my mind constantly telling me to "just play, you loving loser". There's also the problem that there never seem to be other goons at my level (40kyu) that I can't sort of "grow" with. And I dislike playing with strangers.

My god that was the worst pile of lovely excuses I've ever seen. I'm logging into KGS tonight, gently caress it

Zeh
Jul 9, 2006
i <3 segway

giogadi posted:

I've sorta joined; I'm one of those pathetic cowards that enjoys thinking about/watching the game more than playing it. I've picked it up and dropped it more times than I can count, but no matter what there's always this guilt at the back of my mind constantly telling me to "just play, you loving loser". There's also the problem that there never seem to be other goons at my level (40kyu) that I can't sort of "grow" with. And I dislike playing with strangers.

My god that was the worst pile of lovely excuses I've ever seen. I'm logging into KGS tonight, gently caress it

http://itgoleague.wikia.com/wiki/Introduction <- Read this.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Ok I played a game and got murdered! Thanks a lot to Xambar for the game and to koestl for reviewing. Let's see if I can keep up with it this time.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

giogadi posted:

Ok I played a game and got murdered! Thanks a lot to Xambar for the game and to koestl for reviewing. Let's see if I can keep up with it this time.

The trick is to just play games. I'm 15k and I can still sort of get away with just playing, though I need to play more games just to cement the things I learn. Reviews are awesome too, and never be afraid to use the SGF editor thing. I've spent an hour or two just replaying various parts of the game I thought I did extremely badly in after some games.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I have posted elsewhere

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
I'd like to put in a good word for ITGO for anyone interested in playing/learning. I've recently joined in and I can attest they're a friendly bunch. I've already had one game reviewed in-depth and played another teaching game and learned a lot. Plus, if you're playing, the ITGOers tend to watch you play and might even kibbitz. At first that made me nervous -- I didn't want to look foolish -- but it's really cool. It's fun to go back and see the comments spectators were making while you were playing your game.

I'm excited about participating in my first ITGO league, but I have a question: How do you set up games? Do you just log in to KGS and see who's around? Or set it up by email ahead of time?

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest

werdnam posted:

I'm excited about participating in my first ITGO league, but I have a question: How do you set up games? Do you just log in to KGS and see who's around? Or set it up by email ahead of time?

Just get into ITGO and get to know everyone. This is probably the best way to improve for a noob actually. ITGO is our small go community where everyone sort of helps each other progress and also just hang out with other cool dudes.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

The General posted:

The trick is to just play games. I'm 15k and I can still sort of get away with just playing, though I need to play more games just to cement the things I learn. Reviews are awesome too, and never be afraid to use the SGF editor thing. I've spent an hour or two just replaying various parts of the game I thought I did extremely badly in after some games.

Any time you think you could use a review, harass someone else who is online until they do it or they feel like a piece of poo poo. DDK's in ITGO are def. entitled to reviews on demand

Zeh
Jul 9, 2006
i <3 segway

werdnam posted:

I'd like to put in a good word for ITGO for anyone interested in playing/learning. I've recently joined in and I can attest they're a friendly bunch. I've already had one game reviewed in-depth and played another teaching game and learned a lot. Plus, if you're playing, the ITGOers tend to watch you play and might even kibbitz. At first that made me nervous -- I didn't want to look foolish -- but it's really cool. It's fun to go back and see the comments spectators were making while you were playing your game.

I have the rules and everything here - http://itgoleague.wikia.com/wiki/ITGO_League_II

Basically, you can just play whenever you want. If you prefer setting up games beforehand, then you're more than welcome to.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

edit: oh nvm it didn't work

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 17, 2011

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
ITGO League II has begun!

lovely [3k] (white) vs. Xombar [11k] (black)

5 handicap stones, 6.5 komi for white

result: W+24.5

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
oops wrong thread

Xom fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 18, 2011

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Sweet, a go thread. I started playing a few weeks ago, played ~20 games in total and I'm rated 11k right now on KGS. I'll try to hop into SA room later.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

welp;

I couldn't (or wouldn't??) play anything fightier so there we go. With 49, the top is pretty much locked up and is probably going to be territory at the end. L13 makes the strongest formation I can figure, so if he persists in this area, I should be able to take sente and do some poo poo with f2. He may jump in deep or invade instead of reducing, but honestly I have no loving clue what white should do next so I'll just have to wait and see. If he wanted to drop all the pretensions and just take gote, j11 looks like a really good place to play, but he may have to be a bit more active than that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club

Further developing my moyo with the strongest move possible. He cannot cut me: http://i.imgur.com/S28uF.png If he just keeps on pushing, my moyo will prove to be bigger than his, so he will probably have to start reducing my territories now somehow. Ideally I want him to come in too deep into my moyo, so that I can attack his invading group and drive it into his own moyo, thus destroying it in the process.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I played L12 to avoid an attachment at o12. I wasn't too happy about it but it seemed like my only choice. Then I played b8, which is retarded because it makes c5 not sente, which is important because I intended to have a fight there!! Anyway, the rest of the game was played at a quicker pace because I was sad about b8 and it ends in ruination. I'll attach the sgf if ya'll wanna see it.

I intend to pay a professional to review this game because I spent a lot of time on it, so once I get that taken care of I'll mark up a big effort post and we all can find out what's what. As of L11, it just feels like black is a little behind, but I don't really know why and I am not sure what I'd do to make it better, other than omitting c14. We'll see, I guess.

http://gokifu.com/share/kf9

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 21, 2011

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

I wonder how things would have progressed if black had taken H15 at some point, maybe rather than M5 or even earlier.

I don't really get why the resign happened at 113, white seems to be leading but I don't see any big "ruination" at that precise moment. I guess it's just because white's territory is so secure? Anyway, thanks for doing this, it was interesting to read.

secret volcano lair fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 21, 2011

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

PaulC posted:

I wonder how things would have progressed if black had taken H15 at some point, maybe rather than M5 or even earlier.

I don't really get why the resign happened at 113, white seems to be leading but I don't see any big "ruination" at that precise moment. I guess it's just because white's territory is so secure? Anyway, thanks for doing this, it was interesting to read.

Well, once I hane on the outside like that and make those forcing moves, I have to capture those stones or I lose. They have one too many liberties for that to happen.

If I didn't hane on the outside, I would have probably lost by 5-10 points, five if I played well and ten if I didn't.

AvidAvatar
Jul 13, 2003

Dimethyl Mercury – Good tasting and good for you!
This is brought over from GBS:

I was playing go a few years ago and I would like to get back into it. I would ballpark myself at around 15k...at least I was. I'm looking for someone to play/beat/teach me a lesson. :)

Aug 15, 2010
I'm having trouble understanding some of the basic rules of Go. I'm attempting to learn, but then stuff like this confounds me to no end. I'm playing on a 9x9 board to get the feel of playing.

In this example, I am black, the computer is white.

My question is, Why was I not allowed to take white's stones, but lost all mine on the same play?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

1554 posted:

I'm having trouble understanding some of the basic rules of Go. I'm attempting to learn, but then stuff like this confounds me to no end. I'm playing on a 9x9 board to get the feel of playing.

My question is, Why was I not allowed to take white's stones, but lost all mine on the same play?

Move 51 put the group to the left of it in atari (one move away from capture). You'd need to also have a black stone in the hole to capture that group. However, before you could do that on move 53, your stones were captured on move 52.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

1554 posted:

What helopticor said; basically you didn't have that group entirely surrounded. Surrounding stones doesn't mean that you have their outside border entirely enclosed, it means that the entire group has no more liberties (these are points adjacent to the group which are still open). The white group to the left of your stones had one "eye"(an open point within the group) and so couldn't be captured.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn
White also could have played 50 one point below 49 to capture black's five stones outright - it doesn't seem as elegant but I'd prefer it since it prevents later ko threats.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm looking for a basic starter board for my cousin who's leaving for college.

Per the OP, I looked at YMI, and like the basic $31 Beginner's Go Board with Hi-Tech Stones Set, which has 19x19 on one side and 9x9 on another.

However, for around the same price several places have something like this: 12" Folding Go Set. The thing I like about this one is that it's self-contained in a small package, and also since hollow gives the impression of being a thicker-style goban.

Is there any reason this second product is inferior to the first posted from YMI? Are the "Hi Tech" stones that much better than basic plastic? Or should I get the convenient folding board from WE, and separately get a set of $8 Hi-Tech stones?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 28, 2011

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

12 inches square is a little less than half the area of a normal board, and the stones that are included are biconvex and very small. That means you won't be able to hold them the right way (the way to put stones on the board without loving everything up, that is) and you will have to be careful/do a lot of adjusting. This will be compounded by the fact that the stones don't weigh anything.

There's nothing wrong with folding boards in general, but a 12" one will probably be a pain to play on. Boards are the size they are for a reason.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm looking for a basic starter board for my cousin who's leaving for college.

Per the OP, I looked at YMI, and like the basic $31 Beginner's Go Board with Hi-Tech Stones Set, which has 19x19 on one side and 9x9 on another.

However, for around the same price several places have something like this: 12" Folding Go Set. The thing I like about this one is that it's self-contained in a small package, and also since hollow gives the impression of being a thicker-style goban.

Is there any reason this second product is inferior to the first posted from YMI? Are the "Hi Tech" stones that much better than basic plastic? Or should I get the convenient folding board from WE, and separately get a set of $8 Hi-Tech stones?

I have used that folding board and it was a pretty terrible experience overall. The stones were far too small to the point of being annoying to use. That board should be avoided if there are other choices. You should look at something like this http://www.ymimports.com/p-1173-beechwood-58-go-reversible-board-single-convex-stones.asp it is cheap and the stones are the proper size. If you want a 9x9 you can just cover part of the 13x13 board to create a 9x9 board since if he likes it he probably won't be sticking at 9x9 long.

Athanos fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 28, 2011

Aug 15, 2010

helopticor posted:

Move 51 put the group to the left of it in atari (one move away from capture). You'd need to also have a black stone in the hole to capture that group. However, before you could do that on move 53, your stones were captured on move 52.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

What helopticor said; basically you didn't have that group entirely surrounded. Surrounding stones doesn't mean that you have their outside border entirely enclosed, it means that the entire group has no more liberties (these are points adjacent to the group which are still open). The white group to the left of your stones had one "eye"(an open point within the group) and so couldn't be captured.

Thank you. I was quite mad at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Athanos posted:

I have used that folding board and it was a pretty terrible experience overall. The stones were far too small to the point of being annoying to use. That board should be avoided if there are other choices. You should look at something like this http://www.ymimports.com/p-1173-beechwood-58-go-reversible-board-single-convex-stones.asp it is cheap and the stones are the proper size. If you want a 9x9 you can just cover part of the 13x13 board to create a 9x9 board since if he likes it he probably won't be sticking at 9x9 long.

Ah, so the goal is to get something around 18-19" at its largest measure? Your above link didn't work, but I found the same YMI $35 product. Here's a nicer looking YMI verison with "Yunzi" stones for $60+. Per WP, Yunzi is some kind of secret Chinese composite material; is it worth the extra cost overall?

Too bad the 12" folding board is no good. I'm not easily turning up an 17-20" folding board; is there just no good folding board on the market of reasonable size?