Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald White Dad
Dec 28, 2004
Just some fag with a computer...on the internets bitch!

unhwillneverwin posted:

You Brits have it easy with your relativly dense populated country. As for myself in the states, I've driven 6 hours each way for a show, but that is about my limit.

How far has anyone else driven for a show?

Drove from Pittsburgh to NYC for that 20th anniversary Opeth show last year. Around 9 hours I believe all told to get to my hotel in Manhattan. Tons of people I talked to there had ridiculous trips as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Has anyone been to Webster Hall in NYC for concerts? Opeth is playing there in September but the people reviews on google say while it's in a nice enough area, the staff is loving terrible.

Any thoughts?

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Has anyone been to Webster Hall in NYC for concerts? Opeth is playing there in September but the people reviews on google say while it's in a nice enough area, the staff is loving terrible.

Any thoughts?

Unless the staff is so terrible that they murder you, I'd suggest going to the Opeth show to see Opeth.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I've been to Webster Hall for a few shows. I'm sure the people who complain probably tried to piss in a corner or bring their alcohol outside and when security told them no they threw a hissy fit.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Some people in the comments said that the security punched people crowd surfing instead of bringing them back down :psyduck:

Although I've heard that Opeth shows are usually way more calm than normal metal shows so maybe that won't be as much of a problem?

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*
I would never pass up an opportunity to see Opeth live.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
The new Black Dahlia Murder is floating around out there.

I've listened to it a few times already (it's short, just like all their other albums) and I like it, but it seems to have lost a lot of the "catchiness" that Deflorate had. Maybe it'll grow on me, who knows.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Is there anything out there that sounds similar to See You Next Tuesday's Parasite album?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The new Black Dahlia Murder is floating around out there.

I've listened to it a few times already (it's short, just like all their other albums) and I like it, but it seems to have lost a lot of the "catchiness" that Deflorate had. Maybe it'll grow on me, who knows.

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet but it does seem to be more of a straight death metal tape and less bouncy/jaunty than previous releases. It's not as catchy but it seems like it's better in different ways. At least it's good that they're mixing things up.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

krustster posted:

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet but it does seem to be more of a straight death metal tape and less bouncy/jaunty than previous releases. It's not as catchy but it seems like it's better in different ways. At least it's good that they're mixing things up.

Yeah it's lost some of the "black" metal feel they had going on in their previous albums. I'm not really a Black metal fan, but i really liked how BDM incorporated it.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
BDM peaked with Miasma, and has been on the slow decline ever since.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Look at how wrong you are :colbert:

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Yeah, you are very wrong. Sorry for your bad taste.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Miasma is great but I also think it's retarded to say they've been declining since.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

All their albums since have been good, but I still think Unhallowed and Miasma are their best. Sooooo.....hmph.

Cutsman
Apr 11, 2005

scissors on his fucking head
their new album seems to me a lot more like unhallowed than miasma or deflorate. definitely less black metal, more melodic death imo

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Cutsman posted:

their new album seems to me a lot more like unhallowed

Unhallowed is probably my favorite with Deflorate coming in a very close second, so this makes me happy. I can't wait for my box set on the 21st.

Cutsman
Apr 11, 2005

scissors on his fucking head

LoG posted:

Unhallowed is probably my favorite with Deflorate coming in a very close second, so this makes me happy. I can't wait for my box set on the 21st.

there's something very simple about unhallowed that makes it so listenable even after all these years. listening to that album is like wearing an old pair of jeans, or like the smell of being in your grandma's house

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

It's just so.....dark. I love the themes throughout it.... I'll never forget seeing BDM back in 2005, and being STUNNED that it wasn't two seperate singers onstage.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Hmm.. am I weird for thinking Nocturnal is their best? I pretty much never listen to Unhallowed when I throw on BDM, not that I think it's a bad album, just dated. I know that I'd rather spend time listening to anything else (including this new album) because it's more enjoyable.

1. Nocturnal
2. Deflorate
3. Miasma
4. Unhallowed

I need to get more used to Ritual before I can appropriately rank it. I really absolutely love the song Moonlight Equilibrium, though.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Your list is the exact opposite of how I like them. Nocturnal to me is too clean sounding....it's too produced and catchy...I like the raw sound of Unhallowed and Miasma, mother of god...just so epic.

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

There is a lot of awesome stuff on Ritual. When Den of the Picquerist kicks in after the bass work, it's headbang city. Conspiring with the Damned is pretty loving cool, too. Ryan Knight gave the group the same juice going forward as Shannon Lucas did in joining before Nocturnal. It feels like a big step up to me.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Shtemlow posted:

There is a lot of awesome stuff on Ritual. When Den of the Picquerist kicks in after the bass work, it's headbang city. Conspiring with the Damned is pretty loving cool, too. Ryan Knight gave the group the same juice going forward as Shannon Lucas did in joining before Nocturnal. It feels like a big step up to me.

Yeah, with Knight aboard they can actually include guitar solos in their songs that don't make you cringe. Listening to Deflorate for the first time was pretty exciting, like the band was finally working with a full line-up, and Ritual has been much the same.

m3talh3ad
Jan 28, 2005

unhwillneverwin posted:

You Brits have it easy with your relativly dense populated country. As for myself in the states, I've driven 6 hours each way for a show, but that is about my limit.

How far has anyone else driven for a show?

A buddy and I drove from Ocean City, MD to Somerset, WI (it was about 22 hours, give or take) for Ozzfest one year. We realized about an hour into the trip we had forgotten the tickets, so we turned around and got them.

Wouldn't have mattered anyway though: the Somerset show was cancelled when we got there. They were playing in Madison that night though! :unsmith:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Beelzebozo posted:

Yeah, with Knight aboard they can actually include guitar solos in their songs that don't make you cringe. Listening to Deflorate for the first time was pretty exciting, like the band was finally working with a full line-up, and Ritual has been much the same.

What was the deal with their old guitar player again? When all that poo poo went down I read that he just plain sucked and they kicked him out of the band :laffo: was that the truth or did more surface after the fact?

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What was the deal with their old guitar player again? When all that poo poo went down I read that he just plain sucked and they kicked him out of the band :laffo: was that the truth or did more surface after the fact?

It was mentioned at the end of the Majesty DVD, and while I can't quite remember the exact reason, it wasn't on bad terms. The general consensus, however, was that the previous guitarist's solos were getting extremely boring. Knight was a colossal replacement.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Found these guys on youtube, this song is pretty sick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E3SjmFp14w

Kind of has an Elitist vibe to it

Cumfartcocktails
Sep 18, 2010

Shtemlow posted:

It was mentioned at the end of the Majesty DVD, and while I can't quite remember the exact reason, it wasn't on bad terms. The general consensus, however, was that the previous guitarist's solos were getting extremely boring. Knight was a colossal replacement.

There's an interview of Trevor where he actually announced that Knight was joining and explained that John just wasn't into it. Like he was lazy in the studio and they had to tell him to write stuff and he didn't have solos prepared, etc. What I don't understand is why he went and started another band that sounds a lot like Black Dahlia and started playing shows and said they were planning on touring. He was a solid guitarist and could play all his solos spot on, but there really was something missing that Knight brought into the fold.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

I honestly thought John had some really sick stuff, and his solos were fine. They were more structured than just free form I suppose...

But if you look back to 2005 when Unhallowed came out, BDM has been through what, 12 different members? Maybe Trevor is just a dick????

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I've had a few listens of Ritual and I've come to the conclusion that it's awesome. On Stirring Seas of Salted Blood is a great track. I'm very happy with this album.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I honestly thought John had some really sick stuff, and his solos were fine. They were more structured than just free form I suppose...

But if you look back to 2005 when Unhallowed came out, BDM has been through what, 12 different members? Maybe Trevor is just a dick????

Haha, I think this is the case with Chimaira as well.

Also; yes Ritual is a VERY good album. I just personally don't think it lives up to Deflorate.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 17, 2011

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone else really excited for the new August Burns Red that's coming out next week? The new Vanna is releasing on the same day. I'm pretty excited about both.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I've found that I enjoy a lot of these "scene" or "post-hardcore" bands nowadays, somewhat to my surprise. Rise Records has a lot of good artists even though many of them are very similar. Chief among the awesome tapes is the new full-length from Memphis May Fire, check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAzsp73UMXw

I also really like this new Of Mice & Men tape. The clean vocals have a really unique style that works nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f9lK3_dEG4

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

Anyone else really excited for the new August Burns Red that's coming out next week? The new Vanna is releasing on the same day. I'm pretty excited about both.

You know, I've tried to get into August Burns Red but...drat...they really do nothing for me. Unless there new album is different from their others, I can't see myself becoming a fan :(

As a big fan of bands like Trivium and All That Remains (which a lot of people seem to consider "generic metalcore" and i disagree) i really find ABR to be...super generic in every possible way.

They put on a good live show though, and I like their drumming. So i guess that's cool.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

The fact that they're uber-christian never helps.

I just can never seem to take a metal band serious that worships Jesus. Just seems so anti everything the scene is about.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

OnlyJuanMon posted:

The fact that they're uber-christian never helps.

I just can never seem to take a metal band serious that worships Jesus. Just seems so anti everything the scene is about.

If they make good music who the gently caress cares.

Example: As I Lay Dying is apparently a "christian" band. Couldn't even tell from the lyrics; they don't come off as overly preachy and make kick rear end music.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

I used to subscribe to the "who cares" attitude, but when you go to a Christian show, and the bands are preaching and you're surrounded by agreeing Christians, poo poo gets real old real quick. It's just a personal hangup...

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^Then don't go to Christian shows. I'll be putting my "who cares" attitude to the test in a few weeks when Oh, Sleeper comes to town.

krustster posted:

Memphis May Fire

new Of Mice & Men
I just kinda stumbled across Memphis May Fire and was pleasantly surprised with them. Also, I'm glad you mention the new Of Mice & Men because it totally slipped by me. I really liked their self-titled and had seen they had a new album coming out, but I guess I dropped the ball.

On the subject of ABR, I really think that 90% of the reason I like them is because of Matt Greiner's drumming (much like Adam Gray is pretty much the sole reason I like Texas in July). Dude is an absolute machine. I could care less what their beliefs are, as long as they don't ram it down the listener's throats.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I don't really like when a band's personal philosophy is a defining part of their musical act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

the Bunt posted:

I don't really like when a band's personal philosophy is a defining part of their musical act.

Guess you're not a Within the Ruins fan lol