Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

paragon1 posted:

This is bumming me out way more than it has any right to be.

Hope the ground side can pull this off somehow.

I also hope the Clanners can kick the Comstar folks down without too much of a fuss. After that ramming-insult, they better.

If I was taking part in the LP, I'd probably enjoy taking part even in the failed attempts if they're all this amusing, though. And here I was thinking I knew what a good mission in BT was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
What's this "SDS"?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ZeeToo posted:

What's this "SDS"?

Space Defense System. It's an automated defense system of space stations, satellites, automated warships, and other toys that the Star League used to defend Terra and other important systems.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

jng2058 posted:

Space Defense System. It's an automated defense system of space stations, satellites, automated warships, and other toys that the Star League used to defend Terra and other important systems.

Here's the real kicker: In this alternate timeline - if Kerensky failed to take down Amaris on Terra - Comstar controls the Caspar I SDS and not the watered down Caspar II built by the Word of Blake.

Although how the hell Comstar managed to seize Terra in the first place if Kerensky failed to sack Terra to kill the Usurper is the real question.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Boogle posted:

Here's the real kicker: In this alternate timeline - if Kerensky failed to take down Amaris on Terra - Comstar controls the Caspar I SDS and not the watered down Caspar II built by the Word of Blake.

Although how the hell Comstar managed to seize Terra in the first place if Kerensky failed to sack Terra to kill the Usurper is the real question.

I'm guessing that Blake and company were already planetside and staged a coup on site. After all, the SDS doesn't protect you from enemies who aren't coming from space in the first place...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

OH hell I did not think of that, holy poo poo if they still got the Caspar they are near invincible.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

OH hell I did not think of that, holy poo poo if they still got the Caspar they are near invincible.

...on DEFENSE. Clanners can still take every other world in the Inner Sphere...or at least blow up every HPG...and then just let ComStar wither on the vine. Granted, having an nearly unassiable fortress is a HUGE advantage for the ComGuards, but they can still lose the war.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Bah, any fortress can be taken. :black101:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

jng2058 posted:

...on DEFENSE. Clanners can still take every other world in the Inner Sphere...or at least blow up every HPG...and then just let ComStar wither on the vine. Granted, having an nearly unassiable fortress is a HUGE advantage for the ComGuards, but they can still lose the war.

Assuming the clans' plans still involve getting their hands on Terra for the glory of it (and taking a superfortress is glory out the rear end), they'll probably still smash their shiny armoured prows against the SDS as soon as somebody has a clear run on it.

Honestly the smartest thing a House could do is feign acquiescence to help the Clans dash themselves against Terra as soon as possible.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Tarquinn posted:

Bah, any fortress can be taken.

That plan was hilariously simple and easy. If I ever need to defend myself from things in space, I'm going to need to remember to make the stations mobile.

Tell me that the SDS is designed with that in mind.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

jng2058 posted:

The Clan mindset doesn't allow them to lay siege to a system and starve the enemy out. There's no honor in killing your enemy that way. It's cowardly and weak. They'd run into the gaping maw of the SDS a hundred times in a row before they'd resort to that. Of course after 100 failures, there wouldn't be enough warriors left for it to matter. It'd basically be all bondsmen and laborers saying "gently caress this noise, we're leaving".

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Veyrall posted:

That plan was hilariously simple and easy. If I ever need to defend myself from things in space, I'm going to need to remember to make the stations mobile.

Tell me that the SDS is designed with that in mind.

It's a bunch of robot WarShips, so yeah

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

You know that Comstar big wig we are trying to save. What if she gives up secrets of the SDS?!

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

AtomikKrab posted:

:words:

Just so you can see its weaponry

damage is per gun
4 x NL35s 3.5 capital or 35 damage
4 x NL45s 4.5 capital
11 x NL55s 5.5 capital
15 x Medium NPPCs 9 capital or 90 standard
8 x Heavy NPPCs 15 capital or 150 standard
6 x NAC/20s 20 capital
6 x NAC/25s 25 capital
4 x NAC/30s 30 capital
4 x NAC/35s 35 capital
6 x Killer Whale Launchers
4 x Heavy N-Gauss Cannons 30 capital (significant range advantage over naval ACs)
992 capital damage possible in total (note that guns are in different arcs so its not all going in the same place and yadda yadda)
And it mounts an array of anti aerospace weaponry which is the reason it survived because it was one of the few star league era ships able to make aerospace gently caress off.
18 x LRM-20s
18 x LRM-10s
17 x Large Lasers
34 x Medium Lasers

:words:

I thought you were joking until I took a peek in Sarna.net and realized it was the proper name for a missile. Didn't stop me from picturing space battles with whales being used for ordnance though.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zikan posted:

You know that Comstar big wig we are trying to save. What if she gives up secrets of the SDS?!

Only one way to make sure that doesn't happen... :commissar:

On a slightly more serious note would the members of the First Circuit know the access codes for the SDS or would that just be knowledge limited to the Primus and maybe whoever is in charge of the ComGuard?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's not like ComStar doesn't know she's gone. They may be insane sometimes, but they're not stupid enough to let a very high ranking officer get captured and then leave the access codes to their primary means of defending their entire source of power unchanged.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Boogle posted:

.....But he did. PTN has established several times he did. He only left because the Sucessor states were dicks afterwards.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

It's not like ComStar doesn't know she's gone. They may be insane sometimes, but they're not stupid enough to let a very high ranking officer get captured and then leave the access codes to their primary means of defending their entire source of power unchanged.

That's true but at the same time I'm wondering if she would've even known the codes in the first place.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tarquinn posted:

Somebody reads too much Known Space stuff. Not that that's a bad thing.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Seeing all this space stuff makes me yearn for that Battletech Homeworld 2 mod that never made it past modelling.

Oh, to command a McKenna...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

raverrn posted:

Seeing all this space stuff makes me yearn for that Battletech Homeworld 2 mod that never made it past modelling.

Oh, to command a McKenna...

a tharkad class could take a mckenna

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

AtomikKrab posted:

a tharkad class could take a mckenna

well my dad could beat up your dad :(

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Affi posted:

this is true, my father is a wuss :3:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Affi posted:

You know, next half of the mission, one of the ComGuards ought to say this to the Clanners. Just fit that into the orders, "PTN: My orders are to stay put and say this line. Feel free to add a poo poo-eating grin in the fluff."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You know, next half of the mission, one of the ComGuards ought to say this to the Clanners. Just fit that into the orders, "PTN: My orders are to stay put and say this line. Feel free to add a poo poo-eating grin in the fluff."

The Clanner response: "Nuh uh! My dad is a vat! He's made of, like, steel and stuff!"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If I may submit the following modifications:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The Clanner response: "Neg! My dad is a canister! He is made of, like, steel and stuff! Quiaff Isorla Batchall etc."

I hope I got it right. Still new to invaderClan culture and all.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Has anyone considered engaging in psychological warfare with the clans, in the form of mocking their practices as obviously silly? Get a whole battalion of mechs to fall over laughing when they learn their enemy is like 21. "Oh I'm sorry, we're fighting kids? Hold on will give you a minute to wipe your nose before you fight us. Maybe mommy can help with that - oh wait, you don't have a mommy. Orphan! Orphan!"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I doubt that would work when they already regard the IS and their practices as barbaric, barely human savages. It'd be like randomly running into a group of people from 1650 and having them say "Way to cure small pox, faggots. We're living like real men, here in our lovely uninsulated houses, with barely any food to eat!"

Your reaction would be some variation of "Oh, isn't that cute. It thinks it's people!"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Clans might look down on the IS for being practically medieval, but for a culture ostensibly designed to cut down on waste they seem awfully eager to ritually kill themselves off for petty reasons and cycle out more skilled and experienced warriors out of combat roles and into garrison duty.

That said, I still maintain that it is the solemn duty of every Inner Sphere Mechwarrior commander to reply to every threat made by a Clanner with, "That's what your mom said last night." Along with various other taunts that basically amount to calling them Freebirths without actually saying so.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Zaodai posted:

I doubt that would work when they already regard the IS and their practices as barbaric, barely human savages. It'd be like randomly running into a group of people from 1650 and having them say "Way to cure small pox, faggots. We're living like real men, here in our lovely uninsulated houses, with barely any food to eat!"

That Ponce de Leon was always such a mean kid.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Since the thread is kind of slow, does anyone recommend buying a subscription to BattleCorp to read any of the Battletech novels? I didn't really get into Battletech until I was older and by then all the novels had been taken off the shelves. The only one I actually have is The Hunters by Thomas Gressman and I've read it three times over the past month because I'm so bored.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Eh, I think most of the stuff that's original content is more interesting, but I find Victor and his team mind-bendingly obnoxious.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Blood of Kerensky trilogy is a good read. Mary Sues aren't exactly uncommon in fiction, and the only truly bad character is Kai Allard-Liao.

Star Lord is a fun, unoffensive read.

The 17th recon trilogy is fun, but the first book is the best and the other two feel like the author's heart wasn't really in them.

Wolves on the Border is great, but read the Blood of Kerensky first.

Wolf Pack is ok (but forgettable), but read Wolves on the Border first.

Roar of Honor is pretty good.

Exodus Road, the first of the Twilight of the Clans books, is pretty great except for the Stackpoling.

Binding Force was a great book with a Capellan protagonist who didn't feel like a fu manchu villain in disguise.

The Northwind Highlander books were both good, even if Loren Jaffrey was a colossal mary sue (who may have been a quiet jab at Loren Coleman (who wrote Binding Force)).

So yeah, honestly, I'd say at least half of the Battletech books were worth reading--so long as you avoid garbage like Malicious Intent and Assumption of Risk and anything everything involving the Gray Death Legion (the Avanti's Angels book is them, but interesting).

Also, working on a map (and 'Mech lists) for the ground portion of the mission. Expect an update in the next day or so. I'm paying closer attention to balance this time around, since Part 1 was less balanced than I'd originally calculated.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I'd also say that if you can find it for something less than the price of a a couple of limbs, The Sword and the Dagger wasn't bad either, and sets up some things in the Warrior trilogy by Stackpole, which you should definitely read.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I'm sold, and on the hardcopies no less. Looks like I'll be spending quite a bit on Amazon this summer.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm paying closer attention to balance this time around, since Part 1 was less balanced than I'd originally calculated.

Wait. I thought that was intentional. :stare:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Wait. I thought that was intentional. :stare:

It was intentional. I was still expecting it to be a lot closer than the end result, and I can't exactly blame the players for the Elementals' surprising overperformance.

750 BV (3 points) of Elementals killed... 2857 BV(1) in player 'Mechs. Even in that envirnoment, that's a huge statistical anomaly.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
To be fair, statistical anomalies are what makes Battletech fun.

Boscrossos
Apr 23, 2010

Tarquinn posted:

Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein: the deadliest SOB tag-team in space!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fraction Jackson posted:

Well, theoretically functional, not actually functional; I don't think in canon it comes online again until after the WOB gets ahold of it, but I might be wrong. But yeah, there are entire classes of ships (like the Luxor) that don't exist anymore purely because of the old SDS networks during the Amaris coup.
Actually they're mostly functional IIRC. The stuff in Jihad Hot Spots: Terra is pretty horrifying. Stuff like the Rattler takes up multiple hexes.....

jng2058 posted:

I'm guessing that Blake and company were already planetside and staged a coup on site. After all, the SDS doesn't protect you from enemies who aren't coming from space in the first place...
You'd think that. You'd think it and be wrong.

b0lt posted:

It's a bunch of robot WarShips, so yeah
The Rattler is a tank, the Wyrm is a submarine. The SDS is not that easy to bypass, and it can still gently caress you up if you get too close on the ground.

• Locked thread