Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mr. Despair posted:

A cruise missile of some kind.

AGM-158 JASSM...it is a piece of poo poo. Funny story, the trailer it is sitting on (MHU-226) is also kind of a piece of poo poo. Perfect example of fixing something that wasn't really broken in the first place.

Mr. Despair posted:

Big shot of the B-1's bomb bay. One of them, at least, with a rotary launcher mounted.

gently caress B-1s.

But cool pictures regardless.

Godholio posted:

RC-135 :)

Awesome pics. I like the panoramic photos.

Xaarman can probably speak more intelligently to it, but I'm pretty sure the TC-135 is an actual aircraft...basically a gutted Rivet Joint airframe without any of the interesting poo poo in the back that they use for keeping current and hauling poo poo. I got to sit in the cockpit of it when I was out visiting Offutt back in high school (I was family friends with the 1st ACCS/CC at the time, so I got the hook up). The lack of the cheek pods is what makes me think it's the TC airframe, because if I remember right that was one of the distinguishing characteristics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

iyaayas01 posted:

Xaarman can probably speak more intelligently to it, but I'm pretty sure the TC-135 is an actual aircraft...basically a gutted Rivet Joint airframe without any of the interesting poo poo in the back that they use for keeping current and hauling poo poo. I got to sit in the cockpit of it when I was out visiting Offutt back in high school (I was family friends with the 1st ACCS/CC at the time, so I got the hook up). The lack of the cheek pods is what makes me think it's the TC airframe, because if I remember right that was one of the distinguishing characteristics.

Naw, TC is strictly training. The elongated nose is the dead giveaway on the rc-135. The "hauling poo poo" variant is simply the c-135.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

XCPuff posted:

Naw, TC is strictly training. The elongated nose is the dead giveaway on the rc-135. The "hauling poo poo" variant is simply the c-135.

The TC-135 has an elongated nose as well. I thought that it was modified with a side hatch to enable it to carry cargo.

TC-135 without the cheek pods:

TC-135 with the cheek pods but with a cargo hatch:

These dudes are in town for Northern Edge, interesting to see something other than the standard US fighter aircraft.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
ATAC flies all the cool poo poo. I always used to see them launching Kfirs when I would work at NAS Fallon.

On a more tragic note, one of the last flyable B-17's burnt up in a cornfield today after an emergency landing. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but the airframe looks like a total loss :(
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8187278

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I double checked my pictures, and I did snag a picture of the badge on the side of the plane, and it was a TC-135. Not a great picture, but it's got the designation and serial number of the plane there.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

iyaayas01 posted:

These dudes are in town for Northern Edge.

Got any other cool pictures of other odd aircraft up there for Northern Edge?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Nebakenezzer posted:

News: A BaE-146 is considerably smaller then an An-124

Man i was hoping i could get some nice pictures of the six AN-124 stationed at the airport i work as soon as i'll get approved for the airside. But then i remembered im not allowed to take my cellphone with me anyway :/

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Shai-Hulud posted:

Man i was hoping i could get some nice pictures of the six AN-124 stationed at the airport i work as soon as i'll get approved for the airside. But then i remembered im not allowed to take my cellphone with me anyway :/

You work at Manchester airport?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Nebakenezzer posted:

You work at Manchester airport?

Nah, Leipzig AirPort in germany. The NATO chartered six AN-124 for the SALIS programm and stationed them here. Really amazing looking planes and a nice change from the usual DHL planes i see around.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Tremblay posted:

Norfolk proper or over at Oceana? Speaking of which I'll be headed out that way second or third week of July and should have some down time. Beers anyone?
Norfolk proper. They have the MAC and cargo terminals and support for heavies, so makes sense.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Got some more pictures from the air show I went to processed here. Click for original size.

A cruise missile of some kind.

AGM-158 JASSM. Or if you're not Forrest Gump, "jism".

e: sorry, didn't see the post above... :(

iyaayas01 posted:

These dudes are in town for Northern Edge, interesting to see something other than the standard US fighter aircraft.

The Hunter is a beautiful aircraft in flight. I don't know why that is, but there you go...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Despair posted:

I double checked my pictures, and I did snag a picture of the badge on the side of the plane, and it was a TC-135. Not a great picture, but it's got the designation and serial number of the plane there.

I'll be damned...further research shows that the TC-135 is the "trainer" model of the RC-135 for flight deck training. With how much time those guys spend on the road, it kind of makes sense to have a few dedicated airframes for home-station flight training. Every time I see an RJ from now on, I'm going to have to check the stencil.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Shai-Hulud posted:

I watched a AN-124 fly into Nashville Intl yesterday, I would have raced to get some photos but unfortunately at the exact time I was watching it fly by I was selling my camera body to a guy in preparation for my new one coming tomorrow, argh! Haha. It was a Polet jet / POT4232, I guess some sort of cargo carrier. The plane is in the Czech Republic, now. Amazing how fast those things shoot around the globe.

Also regarding that B-17 crash yesterday morning. Quite a loss. It came through here for the reunion of the 390th and I really wish I could have taken a flight on it. In hindsight, ~$400 seems so insignificant now that I'll never have that chance. She was a beauty.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 15, 2011

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I watched a AN-124 fly into Nashville Intl yesterday, I would have raced to get some photos but unfortunately at the exact time I was watching it fly by I was selling my camera body to a guy in preparation for my new one coming tomorrow, argh! Haha. It was a Polet jet / POT4232, I guess some sort of cargo carrier. The plane is in the Czech Republic, now. Amazing how fast those things shoot around the globe.

Dammit! I hang out at the observation area at BNA sometimes and all I ever get is Southwest and Delta flights with the occasional C-130.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Who's a shy little AN-124? Don't worry, you can come out a little bit more!

Or you could just let me go on the airside! loving security restrictions :argh:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
We get a plane that looks like a smaller version of Air Force One (737 maybe?) here at ILM almost every day - anyone know what it is?

It's got the blue stripe and the us government markings and everything.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

DJCobol posted:

Dammit! I hang out at the observation area at BNA sometimes and all I ever get is Southwest and Delta flights with the occasional C-130.
Haha, yeah you definitely hang out at BNA. That describes 90% of the traffic I see there too, so don't feel too bad. I've heard of F-22s and all that fun stuff at BNA from time to time but I think they know when I'm around and stay away. At least I get to see the occasional Goshawk at MQY!

A friend of mine managed to get a shot of the plane taxiing:

It was at BNA for a fuel stop, she loaded in Gulfport-Biloxi and was on her way to Gander then the Czech Republic.

edit:

AnimalChin posted:

We get a plane that looks like a smaller version of Air Force One (737 maybe?) here at ILM almost every day - anyone know what it is?

It's got the blue stripe and the us government markings and everything.

It's likely a Boeing C-32A, here's one flying into ILM back in March:

It can be Air Force Two if the VP is on it, otherwise they use them for high level VIPs. One of them was hauling Afghan President Karzai around last year when it came through here.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 16, 2011

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

iyaayas01 posted:

XCPuff posted:

Godholio posted:

I'll be damned...further research shows that the TC-135 is the "trainer" model of the RC-135 for flight deck training. With how much time those guys spend on the road, it kind of makes sense to have a few dedicated airframes for home-station flight training. Every time I see an RJ from now on, I'm going to have to check the stencil.

It's a TC-135, which as said, is a gutted RC-135. It's front end only and used for air refueling and other pilot/nav currencies. We have two others, 127 and 129 - the give away is it's missing the 700 antennas that the actual RJs have.

Fun tip: That was my squadron who took 133 to the Ellsworth Airshow.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 16, 2011

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

PREYING MANTITS posted:

edit:

It's likely a Boeing C-32A, here's one flying into ILM back in March:

It can be Air Force Two if the VP is on it, otherwise they use them for high level VIPs. One of them was hauling Afghan President Karzai around last year when it came through here.

Hey yea that looks like it. Although it seems odd we would get VIPs almost every day here in our little beach town. Perhaps they're training? Or taking poo poo loads of vacations...

Thanks!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's a guard unit out there, and Camp Lejune, but neither of those really makes any sense. I'm completely baffled about why those would fly out of that airport so often.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Plinkey posted:

Got any other cool pictures of other odd aircraft up there for Northern Edge?

No personally taken pictures because I'm too lazy to get a flightline photo pass, but here's a sampling of what's been flying around...

Hornets with an interesting paint job...

Including their Centennial of Naval Aviation bird:

Some Eagles with interesting paint jobs...

And this ugly motherfucker:

Saga posted:

The Hunter is a beautiful aircraft in flight. I don't know why that is, but there you go...

Yes it is. Watching those in the pattern is a thing of beauty.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Cool pictures, thanks.

iyaayas01 posted:

And this ugly motherfucker:

Yes it is. Watching those in the pattern is a thing of beauty.

Hey now! You're looking at one of the last 3 (maybe 4) BAC 1-11s still flying in the US. (The second of 3(4) should be up there too).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

iyaayas01 posted:

I looked up VFC-12 and confirmed my suspicions that they play adversary in training. Is this paint job made to match the profile of a Russian plane? I'm thinking the Flanker but it's been a while.

quote:

And that's just badass.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Ooooohhhh...

Also, Eagles in Flanker Blue are dead loving sexy.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Colonial Air Force posted:

I looked up VFC-12 and confirmed my suspicions that they play adversary in training. Is this paint job made to match the profile of a Russian plane? I'm thinking the Flanker but it's been a while.

And that's just badass.

More or less. Russia or China. You'll see a lot of F-18s, F-16s and F-5s with gray tiger stripes and even a red and yellow star on them.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Cool shots!

iyaayas01 posted:

I love this paint scheme. So much.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
So I've had this SR-71 screw for about a year now, and since I got it I've been entertaining the idea of getting some shavings from it an having them inlaid on the inside of my wedding band. Wedding band arrived today, so I guess it's time to stop fantasizing and start taking steps toward finding out if that is even goddamn POSSIBLE.

Ring is Tungsten with gold inlaid, so soldering won't work(probably?). I've heard talk of micro tigs, but also the idea that tigging would melt the fragile gold of the ring.

fakeedit: yes I've joked about mounting the entire screw just like you see in that picture, that would be hilarious

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Did you meet your wife-to-be while flying a secret reconnaissance mission in an SR-71? If not, I would find that kind of disrespectful. It's supposed to remind you of your wife, not an airplane you think is neat.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Boomerjinks posted:

More or less. Russia or China. You'll see a lot of F-18s, F-16s and F-5s with gray tiger stripes and even a red and yellow star on them.

I meant the way they painted the wings with a steeper sweep.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lowclock posted:

Did you meet your wife-to-be while flying a secret reconnaissance mission in an SR-71? If not, I would find that kind of disrespectful. It's supposed to remind you of your wife, not an airplane you think is neat.

While I'm all cool with personalizing your wedding band and stuff, I kind of agree with ^^. The very purpose of the band symbolizes your love for each other, not sure how a spyplane fastener does that unless you got it on your first date or something (please tell me you didn't).

To each their own of course, but if you wanted it mounted as/in a piece of jewelry do something on its own with it... but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
Protip: always remember to stop BEFORE the end of the runway,

ILS antennas are expensive to replace when you run them over.

I have no idea where we got all that styrofoam.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

slidebite posted:

(please tell me you didn't).

Leave it to you to say that digging for fuselage remnants on Trotter Ave at Edwards is a bad first date :banjo:

But no.

I guess I just don't see it as any different from a guy making his own out of steel, or picking any other alternative metal for a ring?

Lowclock posted:

It's supposed to remind you of your wife, not an airplane you think is neat.

poo poo you're right, if I get something inlaid on it, I'll probably stop thinking of it as a wedding ring and then, my god, I'll probably forget I have a wife! Thanks for helping me identify this slippery slope by being so presumptuous as to define a wedding band for me.

edit:I mean, I could have made much worse choices than putting a sliver of metal into that ring...

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 17, 2011

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

What does your wife-to-be think? That's the only opinion that matters here.

In other news, here's an airplane:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Colonial Air Force posted:

What does your wife-to-be think? That's the only opinion that matters here.

Her words were "You gave me loving diamonds, the least I can do is allow you some metal shavings."

I guess she's pretty okay.

Also earlier I mentioned Blackbird wreckage. I suggest you all spend some time on this site http://gmaps.tommangan.us/blackbirds.html

The locations and tail numbers of all known Blackbirds, including crash sites and wreckage storage. They also have a cool "bonus planes" feature that shows things like the SCA, V-22s, and other cool poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's up to you, but it's just a generic Ti screw. We've probably got a few tubs of similar ones on the shop floor at the minute. If you attach significance to it, fair enough, but doing it to have "a wedding ring made with SR-71 components" would just be silly.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Boomerjinks posted:

So I've had this SR-71 screw for about a year now, and since I got it I've been entertaining the idea of getting some shavings from it an having them inlaid on the inside of my wedding band. Wedding band arrived today, so I guess it's time to stop fantasizing and start taking steps toward finding out if that is even goddamn POSSIBLE.

Ring is Tungsten with gold inlaid, so soldering won't work(probably?). I've heard talk of micro tigs, but also the idea that tigging would melt the fragile gold of the ring.

fakeedit: yes I've joked about mounting the entire screw just like you see in that picture, that would be hilarious

If only you were in the Midwest, I know a jewelry store that has photographs of airplanes on the wall, and the fan blade section from a turbine on the wall. I'm sure they'd be able to make a SR71 screw integrated into a ring.

**EDIT** In fact.. this photo hangs on the wall

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Lightbulb Out posted:

I'm sure they'd be able to make a SR71 screw integrated into a ring.

**EDIT** In fact.. this photo hangs on the wall

You should probably send their url or phone number to boomer jinks at g mail dot com

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
If anybody lives near Stow, MA, come down to the Wings and Wheels open house this weekend.

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_OpenHouseEvents11.htm

Last year there was a Texan and a Stearman flying and giving rides. There was also a Fiesler Storch, a Fokker DR 1, a Bleriot, and a bunch of race cars on display. It's a beautiful facility full of awesome AI stuff. I'll be there flying RC planes.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
HEY GUYS YOU HEAR A B-17 CRASHED?!

Boomerjinks, I bet you'll get more feedback here.

One of my best friends is now training on one of the last original Super DC-3s in the world, up in Anchorage. If that isn't enough to make you jealous, he sent me this pic today, taken from the cockpit of the Super:

Shot of the DC-3:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Boomerjinks posted:

Honestly Boomer, do it. Not sure I understand the hate for modifying it because you are buying the ring/metal anyway. Right now it's just a ring, it takes on no significance until the wedding day and then only the connection that you and your bride give to it. Personalizing it like this only adds to your connection to it.

My suggestion would be to have a small section of the gold taken out and replace it with metal from the screw shaped to fill the void. Then instead of shavings it's a small hunk of it and *if* someone notices it you have a good story on it.