Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Yeah, or for instance, the straight edge bullshit Minor Threat started. I hate that poo poo. but at the same time, Between the Buried and Me is one of my favorite bands. I don't identify with straight edge or vegan lifestyles, but if you put the music first and be accepting of different lifestyles then I don't give two fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Straight Edge are the worst.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

XIII posted:

Guess you're not a Within the Ruins fan lol

What's their philosophy?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

LoG posted:

What's their philosophy?

Stereotypical immature atheist teenager Bs, kind of a combination of :goonsay: and :smug:

m3talh3ad
Jan 28, 2005

krustster posted:

Stereotypical immature atheist teenager Bs, kind of a combination of :goonsay: and :smug:

"If God is real, then he's an evil motherfucker!"
~Within the Ruins

But hey, whatever, to each their own I guess. I personally couldn't care less what a band screams about as long as it sounds good when they're doing it.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You know, I've tried to get into August Burns Red but...drat...they really do nothing for me. Unless there new album is different from their others, I can't see myself becoming a fan

It took me a little while to get into ABR myself, but eventually they grew on me and are now one of my favorites. They can shred like motherfuckers and have some seriously badass driving drums.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZE1bmcWMUY
If you haven't heard this song and still can't get into them, then yeah you might as well give up.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

m3talh3ad posted:

But hey, whatever, to each their own I guess. I personally couldn't care less what a band screams about as long as it sounds good when they're doing it.

I totally agree. Lamb of God is my favorite band but I couldn't care less about their political views.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
New ABR leaked. Seems good.

I find crazy christians annoying but even if thats what a bands songs are all about, I don't really care. I try not to understand most vocals anyway because the lyrics are usually terrible.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

krustster posted:

I've found that I enjoy a lot of these "scene" or "post-hardcore" bands nowadays, somewhat to my surprise. Rise Records has a lot of good artists even though many of them are very similar. Chief among the awesome tapes is the new full-length from Memphis May Fire, check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAzsp73UMXw

God, this band went downhill fast after their debut album "Sleepwalking" - instead of keeping with the Southern-inspired riffs, they just went generic with their newest record because they wanted it to be "f'ing br00tal".

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Rise Records has some of the absolute worst bands on their roster. All those techno-core bands are really giving the "scene" a bad name. I'll admit, it's kinda catchy, and I can understand why kids would like them, but I think they like them for all the wrong reasons.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Also, in response to personal philosophies of bands, I can't understand why anyone would be annoyed by bands having them. This style of music was founded on being pissed off and having something to say. I may not be straight edge, but if a band or vocalist feels strongly enough about it to put it in their music then more power to him. One of the reasons why I enjoy The Acacia Strain so much, not only because they're awesome, is because Vincent vocalizes his anti-religious philosophy on stage and in his lyrics. That's something I can identify with.

If you just want to hear a band because they go RAWR ARG GRRR then I feel like you're into this kind of music for the wrong reason.

e: Although I want to mention that the act of listening to heavy aggressive music in the first place is also a fair representation of the style of rebellious nature in line with how this music got started in the first place. It's why I also criticize people for thinking that breakdown bands are too generic and don't have their own worth. Maybe my thoughts are coming out a little jumbled here so all in all, heavy music = rebellious = the spirit in which evoked this style of music in the first place. Lyrics are not terribly important but they do have purpose, and railing against a band because they have them in the first place is retarded. If you disagree with the message or thoughts conveyed, that's one thing. Being upset that they're present in the music at all is another.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 19, 2011

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Another ABR song that you'd be crazy not to like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwWwOVWih9M

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I know they aren't really as heavy as the generally discussed bands in here, but does anyone else like Enter Shikari? I REALLY like them and am highly looking forward to their new cd. I was a little underwhelmed with the first single from it, but I've still got high hopes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

I know they aren't really as heavy as the generally discussed bands in here, but does anyone else like Enter Shikari? I REALLY like them and am highly looking forward to their new cd. I was a little underwhelmed with the first single from it, but I've still got high hopes.

I'll admit I enjoy some of their work. There first album was much, much better than the second one from what I recall.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Also, in response to personal philosophies of bands, I can't understand why anyone would be annoyed by bands having them. This style of music was founded on being pissed off and having something to say. I may not be straight edge, but if a band or vocalist feels strongly enough about it to put it in their music then more power to him. One of the reasons why I enjoy The Acacia Strain so much, not only because they're awesome, is because Vincent vocalizes his anti-religious philosophy on stage and in his lyrics. That's something I can identify with.

If you just want to hear a band because they go RAWR ARG GRRR then I feel like you're into this kind of music for the wrong reason.

e: Although I want to mention that the act of listening to heavy aggressive music in the first place is also a fair representation of the style of rebellious nature in line with how this music got started in the first place. It's why I also criticize people for thinking that breakdown bands are too generic and don't have their own worth. Maybe my thoughts are coming out a little jumbled here so all in all, heavy music = rebellious = the spirit in which evoked this style of music in the first place. Lyrics are not terribly important but they do have purpose, and railing against a band because they have them in the first place is retarded. If you disagree with the message or thoughts conveyed, that's one thing. Being upset that they're present in the music at all is another.

I get where you're coming off but gently caress off with "you're listening to music for the wrong reasons". There is no such thing and only pretentious queefs think that.

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

No kidding, I listen to music because I like the way it sounds, not because of some deeper loving message it has.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

All I'm saying is that it would be nice if you newjacks would appreciate the reason the type of music you like even exists in the first place. drat.

Think
Sep 20, 2005

Really happy with the new ABR album, been playing it on repeat for a few days now :)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Chimaira has two new songs streaming:

http://www.theprp.com/2011/06/18/news/chimaira-digitally-release-two-new-tracks/

There good...but...I don't find them particularly catchy which I find rather alarming since Chimaira has some seriously catchy riffs and poo poo in it usually.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Chimaira will forever be just......there. I remember back in the early/mid 2000's, it seemed every single show I went to, Chimaira was the opener. They're not bad enough to not tour, but they aren't good enough to headline.

Pass Out of Existence still owns bones though.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Metalcore is pretty gay huh?
:nws: for singer with stuff up his butt:
http://ohthatsnasty.blogspot.com/2011/06/jack-delany-eyes-of-traitor.html?zx=6ff5506d48d9f377

Surprisingly not ollie sykes!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Chimaira will forever be just......there. I remember back in the early/mid 2000's, it seemed every single show I went to, Chimaira was the opener. They're not bad enough to not tour, but they aren't good enough to headline.

Pass Out of Existence still owns bones though.

Go listen to their self-titled and tell me there just "meh" :colbert:

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009

A5H posted:

Metalcore is pretty gay huh?
:nws: for singer with stuff up his butt:
http://ohthatsnasty.blogspot.com/2011/06/jack-delany-eyes-of-traitor.html?zx=6ff5506d48d9f377

Surprisingly not ollie sykes!

What the gently caress. Nobody should click this link.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Welp, Chelsea Grin jumped ship on deathcore, and now I just read on SS's facebook page that they also stopped doing deathcore by choice. The lead singer said he was tired of doing high's and low's.

So who does that leave carrying the banner? Carnifex?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Welp, Chelsea Grin jumped ship on deathcore, and now I just read on SS's facebook page that they also stopped doing deathcore by choice. The lead singer said he was tired of doing high's and low's.

Acacia?

More of a metalcore fan than a deathcore one, and Acacia is the first band that jumps to my mind when i think of deathcore.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Go listen to their self-titled and tell me there just "meh" :colbert:

Chimaira loving sucks. What are we doing talking about them in a metalcore thread?

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Who says Chelsea Grin jumped the ship on deathcore? I'm listening to the track on their myspace from the upcoming album as I type this and it's just as deathcore as anything else they've done.

I haven't listened to Suicide Silence in a while. I was very much into them years ago but I'm not a fan of the direction their sound has moved in recently.

As for other deathcore acts, what about Suffokate? They apparently have something new in the works and I think their album "No Mercy, No Forgiveness" is sick.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

Chimaira loving sucks. What are we doing talking about them in a metalcore thread?

Your wrong and because they're metalcore?

Think
Sep 20, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

Who says Chelsea Grin jumped the ship on deathcore? I'm listening to the track on their myspace from the upcoming album as I type this and it's just as deathcore as anything else they've done.

I haven't listened to Suicide Silence in a while. I was very much into them years ago but I'm not a fan of the direction their sound has moved in recently.

As for other deathcore acts, what about Suffokate? They apparently have something new in the works and I think their album "No Mercy, No Forgiveness" is sick.
Yeah, I'm a fan of No Mercy, No Forgiveness. It had a really sweet guitar tone, some well-done vocals, and a shitload of great tracks. Holiness is Next to Filthiness is the best I think because it's flat-out heavy right from the start. I blast it every so often.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Your wrong and because they're metalcore?

Wikipedia posted:

Chimaira is an American heavy metal band from Cleveland, Ohio. Formed in 1998, the group is a notable member of the New Wave of American Heavy Metal scene.

Faux Shoah posted:

Yeah, I'm a fan of No Mercy, No Forgiveness. It had a really sweet guitar tone, some well-done vocals, and a shitload of great tracks. Holiness is Next to Filthiness is the best I think because it's flat-out heavy right from the start. I blast it every so often.

For some reason I find Suffokate more satisfying than other similar bands like Carnifex, Chelsea Grin, etc. They just seem harder.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

For some reason I find Suffokate more satisfying than other similar bands like Carnifex, Chelsea Grin, etc. They just seem harder.

Dude...NWOAHM is a catch-all term :psyduck: the same tag has been a fixed to Killswitch, Trivium, Lamb of God etc

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

I didn't forget about suffokate...I just have a bad feeling they won't be able to live up to NMNF's perfection. Every track on that poo poo kills.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Dude...NWOAHM is a catch-all term :psyduck: the same tag has been a fixed to Killswitch, Trivium, Lamb of God etc

Trivium was never metalcore, and has always sucked hard. I have no idea what recent KSE sounds like but they gradually made a shift from "metalcore" to more mainstream sounding heavy metal the same way Lamb of God did.

I saw Metallica live a few years ago at Madison Square Garden and Lamb of God headlined. Every song they played sounded like old man heavy metal crap and there were even kids sitting around me who kept yelling "Black Label" in between songs because that's all they cared about hearing.

e: jesus christ, I just watched some YouTube videos of newer Lamb of God and Trivium to get better acquainted with their sound and my ears almost loving fell off. I hate Trivium.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 20, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

Trivium was never metalcore, and has always sucked hard. I have no idea what recent KSE sounds like but they gradually made a shift from "metalcore" to more mainstream sounding heavy metal the same way Lamb of God did.

I saw Metallica live a few years ago at Madison Square Garden and Lamb of God headlined. Every song they played sounded like old man heavy metal crap and there were even kids sitting around me who kept yelling "Black Label" in between songs because that's all they cared about hearing.

e: jesus christ, I just watched some YouTube videos of newer Lamb of God and Trivium to get better acquainted with their sound and my ears almost loving fell off. I hate Trivium.

Agree to disagree than. This argument could go on forever.

Scored tickets to Opeth in NYC bitches :c00lbert:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Just listened through the new ABR and it might be my favorite album from them. If you don't like it, you're just broken.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Agree to disagree than. This argument could go on forever.

I'll give you that NWOAHM is probably the most logical evolution of metalcore that I can think of. But bands like Elitist, Within the Ruins (both bands I've discovered thanks to this thread) and August Burns Red are more along the lines of what I think of when it comes to the genre that older Unearth and God Forbid helped make popular.

e: The bands I just mentioned are more heavily dipped into the metal side of the pool with elements of hardcore, but there are also bands like Open Fire! (fellow goon Mazel Tov plays I think guitar for them, amazing band by the way) and Shai Hulud who are more hardcore with hints of metal. Just trying to further my point even though you've already decided to drop it. I'm a stubborn bitch.

XIII posted:

Just listened through the new ABR and it might be my favorite album from them. If you don't like it, you're just broken.

I listened to a teeny bit of it and while it sounds good, it sounds exactly like everything else I've heard from them. My ears get pretty bored of them after too long. Usually can't listen to an entire album all the way through. I do love that they included a midi version of the first track at the end of the album, though, very funny touch. I also really appreciate a band that has a consistent visual style throughout their releases. Their plain type logo and album name on their album covers gets a big thumbs up from me.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 20, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

I listened to a teeny bit of it and while it sounds good, it sounds exactly like everything else I've heard from them. My ears get pretty bored of them after too long. Usually can't listen to an entire album all the way through. I do love that they included a midi version of the first track at the end of the album, though, very funny touch. I also really appreciate a band that has a consistent visual style throughout their releases. Their plain type logo and album name on their album covers gets a big thumbs up from me.

This is my biggest problem with ABR. I know they can play the poo poo out of their instruments, but...it just all sounds like the same mindless dribble :smith: I actually like when they slow down their music and make it more melodic; have instrumental bridges and openings and stuff. %95 of the time their just full speed ahead though and it seems like an endless drone to me.

Sorry! Consider me horribly broken :unsmith:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

I do love that they included a midi version of the first track at the end of the album, though, very funny touch.

I really liked that too! But, my favorite bonus track has been this acoustic version of Internal Cannon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B90bVyD-e1U

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Man, I just wish From the Shallows were still around.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

I also really appreciate a band that has a consistent visual style throughout their releases. Their plain type logo and album name on their album covers gets a big thumbs up from me.

You're listening to music for the wrong reasons.

:p

anyways, August Burns Red is okay. I like their sense of melody but the poo poo gets boring really fast. It just makes me want to listen to Darkest Hour instead.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Eight Is Legend posted:

God, this band went downhill fast after their debut album "Sleepwalking" - instead of keeping with the Southern-inspired riffs, they just went generic with their newest record because they wanted it to be "f'ing br00tal".

I'm of the opposite opinion. I think the southern rock poo poo is super overdone and generic and I wish it would die (though I guess it's starting to fade away now). I like the new sound a lot better, I don't think they went overboard with the heaviness or whatever. I especially like the part that starts around the minute mark in that song, really cool "wall of sound" type thing with subtle nuances that leads into a really nicely structured breakdown part. I guess I just liked a lot of the subtle elements on the album that seem to set it apart.

Personally I found the first album good in spite of the southern riffs, not because of them :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Unearth's new album is streaming here:

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/exclusive_album_stream_unearths_darkness_in_the_light/

About halfway through, but so far it's really, REALLY good.

Edit- Finished now, this is some good poo poo. If you like unearth you'll be really happy with this album. If your not an unearth fan it wont change your mind on them, so move along.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 20, 2011