Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Sunday Punch posted:

Taking this into consideration, does that count as a bad-rear end picture still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

Taking this into consideration, does that count as a bad-rear end picture still?

Nope, now it's kind of depressing. I hope she wasn't badly hurt :smith:. Why do Canadians gotta get so hosed up on hockey? Please accept this replacement image of the strongest man in the world and his identical twin brother:

actually they're astronauts on Skylab

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Sunday Punch posted:

Nope, now it's kind of depressing. I hope she wasn't badly hurt :smith:. Why do Canadians gotta get so hosed up on hockey? Please accept this replacement image of the strongest man in the world and his identical twin brother:
Police are saying it was an anarchist group disguised as Nucks fans. Similar thing happened at the Olympics.

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Vital Signs posted:

Police are saying it was an anarchist group disguised as Nucks fans. Similar thing happened at the Olympics.
It's always anarchists. Anarchists use any excuse to riot and loot because they hate their fellow man.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Vital Signs posted:

Which would explain the knockoff jerseys. Cheaper to procure and all that.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside

Root Bear posted:

That's right. :colbert:

Hold on, is that Dan Marino with the Road Warriors? If it is, that would make them at least 6'7 in that picture. I'm confused.

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out

ServoMST3K posted:

Hold on, is that Dan Marino with the Road Warriors? If it is, that would make them at least 6'7 in that picture. I'm confused.

That's definitely Marino but Road Warrior Hawk was 6'3", Road Warrior Animal is 6'2" and Marino is 6'4". There's some shenanigans going on in that photo!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Standing on platforms for pictures where your feet aren't in view is a well known carny tactic!

Hippo skull

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
There's a website where you can order really expensive replica skeletons and skulls of animals...

I now want a walrus skull in my lobby

(I don't have a lobby)

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Skulls Unlimited!

You can buy replicas or genuine articles of almost every non-endangered animal, including human skulls in a selection of quality! I haven't actually browsed the site in years, but last I was there you could buy fetus skulls if you were planning on becoming an evil wizard or something.

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out
Things to do today:
- call the building super about the broken lift AGAIN
- get my comicbook collection out of storage and into my den
- avoid dying

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Was NOT expecting that second pic!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The longest ladder.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The scroll down on the page for that picture made my hands and feet sweat the more I scrolled down. gently caress that.

Tsunemori
Nov 20, 2006

HEEEYYYWHOOOHHH
Not a picture, but video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wQLEKw0Nkc
Australian National Championship 1956, 1500m run. This guy stopped and helped another competitor who fell down, then proceeded to catch up with everyone else, won the race, and beat the world record.

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out
The shot that nearly killed me: War photographers – a special report :nms:

The Guardian did a features where they asked war photographers to nominate "the shot that nearly killed me" and talk about it. Some of the photos are amazingly badass in themselves (many are gruesome, be warned) but the stories that accompany them and just the fact that a journalist went into those situations to take the photos is just mindboggling.

Take this as an example:
Joćo Silva, Afghanistan, October 2010

Joćo Silva posted:

I'd been in Afghanistan for a month when I stepped on the landmine. I was the third man in line, and as I put my foot down, I heard a metallic click and I was thrown in the air. I knew exactly what had happened. As the soldiers dragged me away from the kill zone, I took these pictures. When people around me have been hurt or killed, I've recorded it. I had to keep working. The soldiers were yelling for the medics. I knew my legs had gone, so I called my wife on the satellite phone and told her not to worry. The pain came later, back in intensive care, when infections set in and they nearly lost me a couple of times.

I've spent enough time out there for my number to come up. I was one of the few who kept going back to Iraq. People think you do this to chase adrenaline. The reality is hard work and a lot of time alone. Firefights can be exciting, I'm not going to lie, but photographing the aftermath of a bomb, when there's a dead child and the mother wailing over the corpse, isn't fun. I'm intruding on the most intimate moments, but I force myself to do it because the world has to see those images. Politicians need to know what it looks like when you send young boys to war. If it's humanly possible, if the prosthetics allow me, I'll go back to conflict zones. I wish I was in Libya at the moment, without a shadow of a doubt.

He kept shooting photos even though his legs had just been blown off by a mine.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :psyduck:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Wow i'm crying after reading all those stories. It's incredible what those photographers go though.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

Glitchdj posted:

Royal Libiyan forces have FN2000's? So first we sell them weapons, then we bomb them. Nice :ssh:

Colonel Gadaffi is not a king! :eng101:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

I just teared up reading the obituary of Chris Hondros, one of two photojournalists killed in Libya in April. He had a fiance.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

dinozombiesgoRARR posted:

The shot that nearly killed me: War photographers – a special report :nms:

The Guardian did a features where they asked war photographers to nominate "the shot that nearly killed me" and talk about it. Some of the photos are amazingly badass in themselves (many are gruesome, be warned) but the stories that accompany them and just the fact that a journalist went into those situations to take the photos is just mindboggling.

Take this as an example:
Joćo Silva, Afghanistan, October 2010

He kept shooting photos even though his legs had just been blown off by a mine.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :psyduck:

JESUS. CHRIST.

Y'know, I think of people like this whenever I hear anti-war dickheads in GBS complain about every soldier or military-related individual being dumb and bloodthirsty.

Most soldiers hate what they do. My father was in Vietnam and it ruined him -- the guilt, the pain, the memories, they ravaged him right up until the day he died. He didn't enjoy what he had to do. Despite being a Fox News-watching conservative, even he bitched about the war and the needless, senseless waste of life. He knew that it wasn't the military's fault, but that of the lying fat sacks of human waste that control the military -- our government.

"We all live on this ball of mud," he used to say to me. "We have to get along."

Saint Sputnik posted:

I just teared up reading the obituary of Chris Hondros, one of two photojournalists killed in Libya in April. He had a fiance.

This is terrible, and that top image is just heartbreaking. War is evil.

Screaming Idiot has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jun 18, 2011

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Screaming Idiot posted:

JESUS. CHRIST.

anti-war dickheads

I get what you're saying, but it's pretty funny. "Yeah, loving assholes who don't want us to kill each other!"

Brandfarlig has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Jun 19, 2011

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Brandfarlig posted:

I get what you're saying, but is pretty funny. "Yeah, loving assholes who don't want us to kill each other!"

Yeah, I didn't say that clearly enough. I meant the kind of person who equates "soldier" with "inhuman murder machine that also loves to rape" instead of "person who does a lovely, morally questionable job but who has little to no say in the matter".

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah, I didn't say that clearly enough. I meant the kind of person who equates "soldier" with "inhuman murder machine that also loves to rape" instead of "person who does a lovely, morally questionable job but who has little to no say in the matter".

They have a lot of say in the matter, they could start by not becoming a soldier :ssh:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

ekuNNN posted:

They have a lot of say in the matter, they could start by not becoming a soldier :ssh:

A lot of people who enlist in the military do so to escape from poverty, and/or get a college education. :ssh:

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

ekuNNN posted:

Don't start this poo poo, please.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

Don't start this poo poo, please.

Awesome thumbnail.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Ygolonac posted:

Awesome thumbnail.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Off-topic, but a Reddit user stole my entire last post for karma.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/i3j9g/badass_takes_on_the_crowd_to_protect_truck_from/c20ln0t

What the gently caress? I'm not offended, just perplexed that anyone could be so lazy.

Edit: Well, I am offended at the laziness.

Edit 2: I called him out and he deleted it. God dammit.

Raimundus has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Jun 20, 2011

Adonis Gunther
Mar 11, 2011

Raimundus posted:

Off-topic, but a Reddit user stole my entire last post for karma.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/i3j9g/badass_takes_on_the_crowd_to_protect_truck_from/c20ln0t

What the gently caress? I'm not offended, just perplexed that anyone could be so lazy.

Edit: Well, I am offended at the laziness.

This is why we are better off without rep/karma/whatever. It turns into... well... Reddit (read: karma whoring).

More Black Templar awesomesauce:

Adonis Gunther has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Jun 19, 2011

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Ygolonac posted:

I saw this as a missile descending on a city, and I was fine with it.
Then I noticed it was a shot from the top of an insane skyscraper and my fear of heights flared up like billy-o.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Mr. Squishy posted:

Then I noticed it was a shot from the top of an insane skyscraper and my fear of heights flared up like billy-o.

Then you shouldn't look at the names scratched into it. And you definitely shouldn't think about how they got there, upside down. :v:

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

Ygolonac posted:

This appears to be shot from the top of the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, the tallest structure in the world; meaning that the photographer was half a mile in the sky when he hit the shutter button. :monocle:

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Pharmaskittle posted:

Then you shouldn't look at the names scratched into it. And you definitely shouldn't think about how they got there, upside down. :v:

I was absolutely okay with this photo until you revealed THAT to me. Before it was all SimCity and then it was abject horror.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Mr. Squishy posted:

You saw a lone gigantic warhead drop on Dubai and you weren't ruining your pants wondering when you'd be drafted to fight in the impending worldwide shitstorm?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hazzamon posted:

This appears to be shot from the top of the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, the tallest structure in the world; meaning that the photographer was half a mile in the sky when he hit the shutter button. :monocle:

I'm not sure what I'd be more terrified of. Falling off myself, or dropping the camera.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
For real terror, try changing the light bulb at the top spire of the Empire State Building:

I really can't read the story from the photographer or look at the pictures without feeling very, very ill.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
This is just some guy's regular job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgO4Gd4RhvM

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

the posted:

I can't stop screaming. I didn't used to be afraid of heights.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

dinozombiesgoRARR posted:

Things to do today:
- call the building super about the broken lift AGAIN
- get my comicbook collection out of storage and into my den
- avoid dying

I'm in Korea at the moment, and I'm constantly amazed at how often I see these things in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

the posted:

I have a friend that does this for a cellphone company and he claims that once he gets up to such a height (which is relatively rare) his hourly rate is about 1,000%.

• Locked thread