Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I went autocrossing sunday in my Impreza. I did terrible. I got 8th out of 9 in ST1. In the PM session I let me friend and his girl friend drive the Impreza since it was her first event. In return, he paid for my PM entry and I got to drive his Lotus Elise on racing slicks. That car is amazing and so fast. I got a 57second run with one cone so my scratch time was 3 seconds behind the fastest time of day. This was my first time driving that car so I did really well, especially since I was only a second off my friends time in his own car. He did beat my time in my car by over a second too though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Posted my videos from the last AutoX TrueChaos and I were at.

Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfeie8uSt9w (No my shifts aren't crap, the audio shifts back a hair if I trim the video)

TrueChaos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQP0gl0Knhc

I came first in A-Stock and 13th of ~47 competitors. 4th(!) fastest on street tires. Not bad for a stock Miata.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The treasurer of the SSCC autocrosses a Sunfire. He gets it into tripod mode at least once per lap. :iia:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

ExecuDork posted:

The treasurer of the SSCC autocrosses a Sunfire. He gets it into tripod mode at least once per lap. :iia:

Speaking of tripodding, I got my car up on three wheels too.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

destructo posted:

First autocross, was 2nd/50 @ 0.1 sec behind FTD which was set with a 2011 Boxter. Then an instructor took my car and rolled a time 2 seconds under that, so I think I'll be doing more events :D

IT WAS A NOVICE EVENT :v: and I expect fully to be on the bottom of whatever I get classed into whenever they kick me out of novice

Glad you had a good time! I think that's one of my shots too?
You had some good lines, and definitely no fear of the throttle...

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

blargle posted:

So I just found out there's a bunch of autocross events by my house. I've got a 3rd gen WRX that looks completely stock, but has bilsteins/springs, an ALK, swaybars, about a dozen other suspension bushings upgraded, and about 300 whp. Can I land in D Stock or will they shove me into some ridiculous class? I'm in no way a competitive driver, so I'd rather sneak into the slowest class possible.

300hp means you've played with boost, which would land you in ESP... but the ALK kills you. prepared :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

shane86 posted:

300hp means you've played with boost, which would land you in ESP... but the ALK kills you. prepared :(
ESP has changed a bit in the lats year or two, I think some ALKs could be legal.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ziploc posted:

Speaking of tripodding, I got my car up on three wheels too.

I somehow got my WRX on stock suspension with 95,000 miles on 3 wheels. I probably broke it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Poked around to see what the ALK actually entails. No way is that *SP legal.

15.8.H.2 lets you modify the lower arms but 15.8.H.4 stipulates original attachment points. If you want to take the 15.8.C allowance claiming they are offset bushings you get killed by the fact there is more metal than OEM.

If it is just the caster bump that fixes the lifting issues you're free to put a camber plate in the car and dial it for max caster while staying in *SP. No idea what that looks like on a WRX though.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The ALK is just the rear bushing in the lower control arm, but the hole in the bushing is offset and you can rotate it to adjust castor. The guy told me not to worry about it anyway, he says nobody cares about bushings and it's just going to be some people farting around in a parking lot.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
There's two types of ALK for the WRX, the bushing, and the full kit.
The Bushing pushes into the existing housing that bolts to the chassis, and this is legal for classes as low as ST. usually you'll only get .5 degree out it. not much, but helpful

The full kit replaces the housing that bolts to the chassis, and has dramatic differences to the caster of the car, sometimes adding upwards of 2 degrees of caster. this is the one that's a big no-no.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Oh, I've got the whiteline kit. I wonder what the Perrin PSRS is like to drive, it says +3 degrees added castor.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Autocross Saturday was a blast. It was on and off rain (which I love since I use the wet runs to go drifting) so my streets (and street tire bonus) helped me move up all the way to 9th of 50 cars. Not really where a stock Miata should be.

My best run: Mazda Miata #102 - PITL #3 2011

Everyone else I recorded that day:

Honda Civic #16 - PITL #3 2011

Chevrolet Cobalt SS #30 - PITL #3 2011

Honda Civic Si #55 - PITL #3 2011

Scion xB #34 - PITL #3 2011

Mazda Miata #77 - PITL #3 2011

Mazda3 #6 - PITL #3 2011

Mazda Miata #10 - PITL #3 2011

Ford Mustang Bullitt #88 - PITL #3 2011

Eagle Talon #68 - PITL #3 2011

Mazdaspeed Protege #85 - PITL #3 2011

MG Rotary Roadster #12 - PITL #3 2011

Toyota Corolla AE86 #13 - PITL #3 2011

Mazda Miata #101 - PITL #3 2011

VW Jetta #2 - PITL #3 2011

Lotus Elise #8 - PITL #3 2011

Toyota MR2 #14 - PITL #3 2011

Subaru Impreza STI #57 - PITL #3 2011

Scion tC #28 - PITL #3 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
There are so many cameras around each event that I've suggested the series motto be, "If you gently caress up, it's probably on camera."

Case and point: https://picasaweb.google.com/clivechan/PITL2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCLq_qdvDw4mODw#5617341184082755586

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

shane86 posted:

Glad you had a good time! I think that's one of my shots too?
You had some good lines, and definitely no fear of the throttle...
Whoa! Yep, it's one of yours (thanks for the pictures, by the way :D ). Definitely see you around, going to any upcoming events?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Ziploc posted:

There are so many cameras around each event that I've suggested the series motto be, "If you gently caress up, it's probably on camera."

Case and point: https://picasaweb.google.com/clivechan/PITL2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCLq_qdvDw4mODw#5617341184082755586

Oh those poor course workers, just a cone massacre.

I really like this slow-mo video though, do you have any more? It's really neat to see the suspension working its rear end off in this, and to me it looks like the rear sways are waaaaaay too strong. Even when the wheel's off the ground there's barely any suspension travel and then it bounces up and down like crazy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dave Inc. posted:

Oh those poor course workers, just a cone massacre.

I love the one cone sliding along in the back but never actually tipping over.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ziploc posted:

I was the only person with a camera (besides cell phones) at the last two events I went to. There were a couple of GoPros, and I have a crappy ebay camcorder bolted to my parcel shelf, but otherwise almost nobody takes any pictures, either stills or video. :(

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

destructo posted:

Whoa! Yep, it's one of yours (thanks for the pictures, by the way :D ). Definitely see you around, going to any upcoming events?

I'll be at all the MOWOG events, cheif of timing and all..
I haven't decided if i want to run the PCA/COM event next weekend or not.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

I was the only person with a camera (besides cell phones) at the last two events I went to. There were a couple of GoPros, and I have a crappy ebay camcorder bolted to my parcel shelf, but otherwise almost nobody takes any pictures, either stills or video. :(

That's kinda sad really.. Our local events get usually 2-3 amateur photographers snapping away (myself included).

Here's a few of my favorites from last weekend's MOWOG 3 event that i shot:

only minimal color and exposure correction with photoshop, the rest are in the album:
http://bruteforcephoto.com/index.php/2011/mowog_3

shane86 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 21, 2011

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

shane86 posted:

only minimal color and exposure correction with photoshop, the rest are in the album:
http://shane86.com/v/photography/2011/mowog_3/

Holy poo poo that M3 is getting some airtime. Maybe he needs to invest in a stiffer front sway? That's ridiculous.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Beach Bum posted:

Holy poo poo that M3 is getting some airtime. Maybe he needs to invest in a stiffer front sway? That's ridiculous.

E36's pull the inside front off the ground all the time at autocross events.

I've got a picture somewhere way back in this thread of mine pulling the inside front up a couple inches with street tires, not even R compounds. The Silver car in the above picture is BSP, so I'm sure he's running R comps, probably Hoosiers, so he probably gets air in the front all over the place.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

E36's pull the inside front off the ground all the time at autocross events.

I've got a picture somewhere way back in this thread of mine pulling the inside front up a couple inches with street tires, not even R compounds. The Silver car in the above picture is BSP, so I'm sure he's running R comps, probably Hoosiers, so he probably gets air in the front all over the place.

I used to drive one myself, so I know they tend to float, but that's a ton of air. It looks to me like the rear would be coming up too.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
I wish I knew where the photo is, I'm sure i can find it later... a couple of guys locally went down to, I think Peru national tour, a couple years back in a DSP E36 BMW.

Neal Tovsen drove the hell out of that thing, and put it up on two wheels.. there's a picture with at least a foot between the lowest wheel and the ground.

They nicknamed the maneuver "Bicycling"

That particular M3 pictured though... in that section it's fairly uphill. one of the sites we use is a driver's training course with all kinds of elevation, and even a little banking.

EDIT:
Found it!

Not my photo (wish it was). Link: https://picasaweb.google.com/Simi.Ritch/2009PeruNationalTourJuly45th#5355353016250298994

shane86 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 18, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ziploc posted:

I've hosed up quite a few times and never gotten a photo. It makes me sad.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh hell yes! Robert Lewis of Dixie Region REPRESENT!!! This car is SO MUCH FUN to ride in.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
ENVY!
I've seen this beast at a few national events over the past few years... this thing is AWESOME!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Dave Inc. posted:

I really like this slow-mo video though, do you have any more? It's really neat to see the suspension working its rear end off in this, and to me it looks like the rear sways are waaaaaay too strong. Even when the wheel's off the ground there's barely any suspension travel and then it bounces up and down like crazy.

I have a TON. A friend and I have identical Casio FC100s which do half decent slow motion. I've been wondering what to do with all the video. I'll be working on some 'best of slow-mo' videos in the next little while. Lots of hanging wheels, flying cones, lockups, drifts, burnouts. The good stuff.

I'll whore it out again but, this video has a bit of slow-mo in the beginning and some a bit toward the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf9FnUigU-w&hd=1

I did a slow motion video of an entire onboard run staring at me while I drove. It's really long but it's amazing to watching my eyes flip from cone to cone and to see how my hands are working in slow motion.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 19, 2011

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Got to go out into the blazing Arizona sun for another autocross meet. It was a relatively plane-jane course but still fun even though I chickened out on the last slalom the entire day. Largest novice turnout we had in months as well!

Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78nf-TFwCig

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Vids from today in El Paso. I had a pretty poor showing today. I finally beat the guy I'd been gunning for all season last event, and today he destroys me. :( But I just got a GoPro to play with, so have some videos.

Tire Cam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVkONy_PIyA

Roof Cam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFoqelR-3WE

In-car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bec-ipVeJos

It's a two day event, so there's more tomorrow.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 26, 2011

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tire Deformation Cam. I really wish I had bigger rims than stock...

In the latter half after the sweeping U-turn, you can really see the tires deform as the back end gets loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR3XIArR8RY

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

I somehow got my WRX on stock suspension with 95,000 miles on 3 wheels. I probably broke it.

I drove my first autocross today in my MK2 Golf with swaybars, shocks, and tires and was told that I had it on 3 wheels around every turn. I hope someone got a picture.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

chem42 posted:

I drove my first autocross today in my MK2 Golf with swaybars, shocks, and tires and was told that I had it on 3 wheels around every turn. I hope someone got a picture.

Lightweight boxy cars tend to do that. It's pretty rare that my WRX does that, and is usually a sign that I was about to lose it, but somehow didn't.

There was a stock, save tires, diesel Golf MK V that came down for one of our events and he three-wheeled it quite a bit and put down very impressive times.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Tire Deformation Cam. I really wish I had bigger rims than stock...

In the latter half after the sweeping U-turn, you can really see the tires deform as the back end gets loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR3XIArR8RY
I wish I'd been able to find 8in wide SSRs instead of my 7.5s, I suspect my tires do this too.

mlmp08 posted:

Lightweight boxy cars tend to do that.
On VW's it is all about the torsen beam.
Light ain't got nothing to do about it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

I wish I'd been able to find 8in wide SSRs instead of my 7.5s, I suspect my tires do this too.

Mine are 16x6.5 with 225s on them. It leads to bulging and crazy deformation. :stare:

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
Is there any reason why I shouldn't grab my helmet and go autocross my '11 Honda Insight? I mean, I know it is slow as hell, but I miss autocrossing. I figured with a CVT, electric steering, and dime-thin fuel-saver tires it might actually be fun. Car is pretty light, I'd imagine lighter than the mkIV VWs I used to run...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Mine are 16x6.5 with 225s on them. It leads to bulging and crazy deformation. :stare:
Mine are 225 (225/45/17)s too, so probably not as bad, but I have to put way too much air in them to keep em solid.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Disciple of Pain posted:

Is there any reason why I shouldn't grab my helmet and go autocross my '11 Honda Insight? I mean, I know it is slow as hell, but I miss autocrossing. I figured with a CVT, electric steering, and dime-thin fuel-saver tires it might actually be fun. Car is pretty light, I'd imagine lighter than the mkIV VWs I used to run...

Why the hell not? There was a couple co-driving an early 2000 Accord sedan at the autocross I went to today. It was slow as molasses, but they managed to lock the brakes up a few times and generally do silly things.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I believe hybrids are blanket banned by SCCA. Might want to double check that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Blanket Banned? really?
Locally we had some parents of a regular start playing with their 2nd gen prius... no problems at all. That being said, we're not an SCCA club, so we do carry different insurance and provisional rules.

Then they got hooked and bought a Z4 :D

Check with your local region.. but i don't see any reason they'd have a problem with it.

• Locked thread