Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Any idea what my aunt's dog Meadow is?

I asked my aunt, and it sounds like the person she got Meadow from had no idea. She saw the mother and says she looked like a white Border Collie (???). She said the owner said the father is an Australian Shepherd/Cattledog, and it sounds like he wasn't sure which is which so who knows.

She's insanely thick-coated. My aunt says she sheds constantly throughout the year then has two huge blow-outs twice a year. She has long feathers between her toes and "bells" on her back legs.

She's large and has a deep "WOOF!", here she is beside a large, fullgrown male Golden Retriever. She also hates the water and doesn't really play with toys.

The thing that really strikes me is she acts NOTHING like a herding dog. I know there's a huge variety in temperaments, and especially for dogs with a "who knows?" ancestry but the way she acts reminds me so much of descriptions of primitive breeds. She's very attached to my aunt and listens to her but overall she's fairly aloof and not really tuned-in to people the way herding and retrieving dogs usually are. It's such a contrast next to the derpy Retriever. This plus blowing her coat made me wonder what her background really is. Basically, she looks like a Border Collie on steroids and acts like a primitive breed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Not mine but I just had to share this one I saw on Boing Boing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Not mine but I just had to share this one I saw on Boing Boing.

:laffo: it inherted the derpy corgi eyes/eyebrows

Bad Dates
Jun 7, 2011
My family rescued Chloe when I was just headed off to college, and despite her numerous oddities we have all grown incredibly fond of her. Still, we can't quite figure out what breeds were thrown together to spawn this wackjob!

Her coat is incredibly rough on her upper back (as is noticeable in the above image), under her jaws, and the hair on her legs is quite long.

She's rarely vocal, except to whine under the dinner table, so it's hard to describe her bark (but if I had to I would say it was . . . average).

As far as temperament goes, she doesn't really 'play' but instead insists that you continue to scratch, pet, or rough-house with her until she's had enough (at which point she resumes her eternal slumber).

So any thoughts? My boss in the clinic at the SPCA insists terrier, which I can see, but the vet we take Chloe to insists whippet must be in the mix somewhere.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Chloe actually looks a lot like a wire-haired dachshund/chihuahua mix that belongs to a friend of mine. Of course, resembling a known mix doesn't really guarantee that she has either of those breeds in her.

She's a cutie, though. I like frowzy little mutt-dogs like that :3:

omgmypony
Oct 5, 2005

wii wii wii wii wii wii wii
I'm seeing JRT/Chihuahua

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Looks just like the elderly rescue Jacks I know. My first thought was Jack x Beagle, but who knows.

walrusonthehill
Mar 18, 2008

yes durians
Here's my old girl Banjie.

Her fur's usually a bit longer than this but my mom cuts it in the summer. She's extremely lazy and docile (except when going on a walk becomes a prospect or the rare sinister UPS man visits) and a love sponge who exists for tummy rubs.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
She is a cutie. However, it seems that she could benefit from some extra walks. I imagine that extra weight could very well cause health problems as she gets older.

walrusonthehill
Mar 18, 2008

yes durians

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

She is a cutie. However, it seems that she could benefit from some extra walks. I imagine that extra weight could very well cause health problems as she gets older.

She does look oddly chubby in these pictures but I think it might just be the camera. She goes on a walk almost every night and she doesn't actually look flabby in person (dog?). She was a few years ago but we put her on a diet and she's at a healthy weight as far as I can tell. She's 11 now and definitely a bit slower than she used to be.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My friend's new husky/boxer mix. Probably the cutest puppy in existence.

http://imgur.com/Smz28

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
lmfao @ the husky/corgi. loving adorable. :3:

walrusonthehill posted:

I could be off, but perhaps a golden retriever/terrier mix of some sort? Looks almost like an old terrier mix my mom had but we had no clue what was in him either.

At the risk of derailing, I agree she looks really chubby there. Angles can do weird things, so it's hard to tell. With older dogs it can be pretty hard to manage their weight because they don't have the energy they used to, but good on you for the diet (assuming it's a proper one). My dog is 10 and gets two half-hour walks a day, plus a 15 minute walk before bed. What's her weight, if I may ask?

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 18, 2011

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Oh my gooood, it would be so very unethical to find a husky and a corgi to do the dirty so I can have a corgi/husky, wouldn't it? :(

Horgis! Cuskies! :downs:

walrusonthehill
Mar 18, 2008

yes durians

Skizzles posted:

lmfao @ the husky/corgi. loving adorable. :3:

I could be off, but perhaps a golden retriever/terrier mix of some sort? Looks almost like an old terrier mix my mom had but we had no clue what was in him either.

At the risk of derailing, I agree she looks really chubby there. Angles can do weird things, so it's hard to tell. With older dogs it can be pretty hard to manage their weight because they don't have the energy they used to, but good on you for the diet (assuming it's a proper one). My dog is 10 and gets two half-hour walks a day, plus a 15 minute walk before bed. What's her weight, if I may ask?

She's definitely got some sort of terrier in her and I was thinking recently that there might be some retriever too, so I'm glad I'm not totally crazy.

She recently went to the vet, and I believe they said she was around 40 lbs or so which is supposed to be about right for her size. I'm not 100% sure on that since I haven't lived at home for a while. I'll have to double check. She gets a nice 20ish minute walk in the evening most nights. She could probably do with more so I might try to take her on some daytime walks while I'm still here. :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
40lbs doesn't sound too bad, but without knowing her height it's hard to say. Also, some vets aren't so good with knowing whether or not a pet is overweight. The majority of dogs are overweight these days and they're now The Norm, so some people (vets included) see a chubby dog and think they look fine. They see a dog that's in actual good shape and they shriek, "you're STARVING the poor thing!" It's silly, really. Either way, unless your dog has an injury or something, more walks are never a bad thing. :)

UGGHHH sorry I will stop derailing. I almost think she looks like a Norfolk terrier mix, but that could be a stretch. Maybe even a small amount of beagle in there. I dunno, I just see something a little beagle-y to her face. Unfortunately you have on of those terrier mutts that's a bitch to identify sometimes. Cute face, though. :3:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I posted our new puppy in another thread but I wanted to see what you guys think. Shelter said Boxer/terrier + American Staffordshire. She's 8 months old and 45ish pounds. I looked at some example pictures of that crossing and they seem similar but it looks like there must be something else. Either way she is cute :)

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Her ears and jowls look kind of Great Dane-ish to me. She doesn't seem big enough for an 8 month old Dane though, they're normally reaching 80-100lbs as far as I know.

She's cute and reminds me of a jowly mastiff x dane that I desperately wanted to adopt last year. :)

harskarenjag
Mar 11, 2008
Charlemagne, a miniature Schnauzer mutt (of what else I have no idea), the first day I got him:

I hated the schnauzer look, so I let him grow it out a bit for the winter:

I let him grow it out even more:

HAIRCUT!

He looked retarded with the summer cut, so I'm gonna keep his hair about this length:

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
This is my sister's dog, Seamus. No idea what he is. My sister seems to think he's got a little pit bull in him. Thoughts?

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

harskarenjag posted:

Charlemagne, a miniature Schnauzer mutt (of what else I have no idea), the first day
I love how he seems to grow more and more confident and akin to his namesake as his fur gets longer. His expression in the third picture is priceless.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

This is my friends mutt named Happy and is a total cutie.

Any takers on what's in her?

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

FungiCap posted:

What a cutie :3: Looks like she's got border collie in her to me

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Shebrew posted:

What a cutie :3: Looks like she's got border collie in her to me

I'd guess Aussie over BC. Only because she appears to be somewhat stocky and more puffy. She's a pretty girly. :3:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Budget Bears posted:

This is my sister's dog, Seamus. No idea what he is. My sister seems to think he's got a little pit bull in him. Thoughts?

He's definitely got some Pibble in him. Maybe some hound or GSD in there?

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

FungiCap posted:

My aunt had a rough collie/golden retriever mix who looked just like this! I love that her name is "Happy," that's so cute. :3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

harskarenjag posted:

Charlemagne, a miniature Schnauzer mutt (of what else I have no idea), the first day I got him:

I'd say the rest of him is poodle, judging by the hair and the colour.

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala
Meet Krieger

We are pretty sure she is a GSD / Husky mix, but we also think other things might be mixed in there as she is quite a bit smaller then a typical German or Husky.

Any thoughts?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Far from a shepherd expert, but she just looks like a byb GSD to me.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

FungiCap posted:

At first glance, I see Beagle x Pomeranian. Maybe American Eskimo, instead of Pom? It seems like her head totally don't match her body, which is adorable and hilarious. Such a blocky face, though - I'm seeing Beagle, Cocker Spaniel, maybe Golden Retriever in the face, and then a poofy spitz-type hind end.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

MoCookies posted:

At first glance, I see Beagle x Pomeranian. Maybe American Eskimo, instead of Pom? It seems like her head totally don't match her body, which is adorable and hilarious. Such a blocky face, though - I'm seeing Beagle, Cocker Spaniel, maybe Golden Retriever in the face, and then a poofy spitz-type hind end.

She looks a little like our friend's dog Oliver, although he doesn't have the "saddle" markings - sadly, his mix is unknown as well. His ears are a bit more upright than hers.

It's suspected he has some kind of houndy thing in him, since he has a very keen nose and is a passionate tracker of smells.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Happy kind of reminds me of this dog (1/2 golden retriever):

Ceridwen posted:

It might just be because they are both so fluffy, though.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Kerfuffle posted:

Far from a shepherd expert, but she just looks like a byb GSD to me.

Hard to tell without a good idea of the size, but either this or some mostly-GSD mix. I don't see any Husky at all really. The mask features are unusual for a GSD but I don't think it means Husky.

Agentdax5
Oct 7, 2007
Live from Kenya
This is Sammy, he's a basset hound black lab mix. We got him when he was approximately a year old. I noticed him sitting on a rock in the cage with the other dogs and he looked back at us with a dopey face.

The first shot is when he was relatively young, not long after we got him. The second was taken a few months ago.

"So you were not in the trash, is that correct?"

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

rivals posted:

Hard to tell without a good idea of the size, but either this or some mostly-GSD mix. I don't see any Husky at all really. The mask features are unusual for a GSD but I don't think it means Husky.

I'll try to snap a picture of her size compared to a GSD. She is A LOT smaller then the pure GSD at our obedience class who is the same age. Probably like 30-40 pounds smaller and maybe 5-10" at the head height.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Chachikoala posted:

I'll try to snap a picture of her size compared to a GSD. She is A LOT smaller then the pure GSD at our obedience class who is the same age. Probably like 30-40 pounds smaller and maybe 5-10" at the head height.

Welcome to the world of backyard bred dogs, my friend. It's a biiiig variety.

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

Captain Foxy posted:

Welcome to the world of backyard bred dogs, my friend. It's a biiiig variety.

Wow, I thought for sure the smallness in size meant a mix. Are there any links for common ailments from BYB bred dogs? We got her from the local SPCA and none of that information was communicated to us.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Even among well-bred GSDs there are some size variations, aren't there? My aunt is a big breed fancier and told me some lines are larger and some are smaller. I couldn't tell you which corresponds to what purposes, but I know she had a German-bred GSD who was quite compact. She came to live with my aunt after she was retired (injury, iirc). When she was in service she was easily 3/4 the size of the other dogs in the department.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Yes there is a lot. AFAIK your average well bred GSD will be smaller than most (not all, of course) of their BYB counterparts, I want to say that in addition to the obvious hip issues with US show GSDs now they have been breeding oversized dogs as well but don't quote me on that. IIRC the breed standard calls for something much smaller than the average GSD you see.

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009

harskarenjag posted:

Charlemagne, a miniature Schnauzer mutt (of what else I have no idea)

He could be pure Schnauzer. Yes, they're breeding "chocolate" Schnauzers now, we had a few come in at my old shop.

When you're talking to your groomer, (since you hate the schnauzer clip) make sure you say one length all over (looks to be about a 3 a/o). Make sure he's combed so they can get that blade through, or you risk super short hair again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

This is the puppy I will be adopting (sorry for blurry camera phone pic):

The shelter says she is Australian Cattle Dog/Chinese Sharpei mix, but I don't see it. Any ideas? It is going to be excruciating waiting the few days until she comes home..