Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Gorn Myson posted:

The writers are trying to create entertaining weekly shows based around this premise and since its return, they haven't really written episodes which serve as a commentary for advanced technology. Going into it expecting them to do that is just destined to leave you disappointed, because its not the point of the show.

Er, I think some folks must have missed (the point of) The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People, the first one of which was certainly very cyberpunk, and caused a gigantic debate in the Who thread about clone rights, consciousness, MisterBibs declaring his candidacy for Hitler mk II :v:, and all that good stuff.

Also, people complaining about characters in scifi having well-rounded beyond the point of being a single-issue robot are probably just aspies scared by people with fully functional personalities.

fakeedit: I just found an interesting thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm still not quite sure why Doctor Who being science-fiction or not is a bad thing. Its a TV show about the adventures of an immortal alien who can travel to anywhere in the universe and at any time. The writers are trying to create entertaining weekly shows based around this premise and since its return, they haven't really written episodes which serve as a commentary for advanced technology. Going into it expecting them to do that is just destined to leave you disappointed, because its not the point of the show.

And just how many of the episodes of the relaunch have had him on earth or earth like environments dealing with humans or human like creatures with human or human like problems?

For a dude that is borderline omnipotent, he doesn't go very far.

Farscape is the show the new Dr. Who should be trying to emulate, but it's not and it's terrible.

Kin fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 19, 2011

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Kin posted:

And just how many of the episodes of the relaunch have had him on earth or earth like environments dealing with humans or human like creatures with human or human like problems?

For a dude that is borderline omnipotent, he doesn't go very far.

Farscape is the show the new Dr. Who should be trying to emulate, but it's not and it's terrible.

Farscape was also a showcase for the Creature Workshop. Even then about half the alien races were just Australians in wigs.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Kin posted:

Farscape was pretty poo poo mate.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

spincube posted:

Yeah, give Alan another series, you poo poo.

I take it we've all seen Mid Morning Matters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucrpgmJxx0E

Which coincidentally is sponsored by a lovely Australian production (hint: beer)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Daktar posted:

I take it we've all seen Mid Morning Matters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucrpgmJxx0E

Which coincidentally is sponsored by a lovely Australian production (hint: beer)

I cannot wait for more Alan. I wonder if Michael and Lyn will also be returning?

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 19, 2011

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

Farscape was also a showcase for the Creature Workshop. Even then about half the alien races were just Australians in wigs.

Yes it was, which meant that it had a lot better creativity and talent behind it. Talent that should be sought out either for Dr. Who or for a show that would rightly deserve the money that Dr. Who is getting.

Also, for alien variety? Check again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_races_in_Farscape

Zorba the Greek posted:

Farscape was pretty poo poo mate.

And this is how everyone who is a fan of sci-fi knows not to trust your judgement.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Mid Morning Matters is coming to TV, isn't it?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
No he was right, Farscape was an atrociously bad TV show.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

No he was right, Farscape was an atrociously bad TV show.

I don't know if it was atrocious, but to me it was always just... there. Like Lexx and Babylon 5 and large chunks of Stargate, I personally didn't really care one way or the other about it.

Doctor Who has never really been particularly hard sci-fi, and it's been at its worst as far as I was concerned when it got too serious about its universe and world-building (ie any episode spent on Gallifrey). Ultimately it's an entertaining show that pleases the major demographics (picky hardcore scifi fans are just not a major demographic. That's part of why Firefly is dead.) and is one of the BBC's biggest earners. At a time when the government is constantly holding them to account/ransom, it's smart to focus on that.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
It's all well and good to want serious hard hitting drama-sci-fi (I would love to see some classic short stories adapted, Twilight Zone style, with modern technology), but remember Dr Who is a family show with a strong emphasis on being suitable for kids. So it has to have a core of silly adventure, even if it has been able to explore in some capacity more thoughtful subjects.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ChuckDHead posted:

I don't know if it was atrocious, but to me it was always just... there. Like Lexx and Babylon 5 and large chunks of Stargate, I personally didn't really care one way or the other about it.

It's very much like these shows in that it's really supposed to be watched in sequence, but most people would only catch loose episodes (usually the mega-bad ones, every TV sci-fi show has them and BBC2 fuckin' loves to air them) and have no idea what was going on beyond the narrated intro. The goofy effects and dialogue mask some pretty serious development from episode to episode.

Not to say that everyone should go watch it all right now, it's just maybe worth more than a one-sentence write-off if you're into sci-fi.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Anyone noticed all the adverts for new comparison sites? There's at least 5.
Is it all one new company hoping to take over or what?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

A5H posted:

Anyone noticed all the adverts for new comparison sites? There's at least 5.
Is it all one new company hoping to take over or what?

I don't understand how they make any money, let alone why there are so bloody many of them. I've got really used to watching all my TV online and the other day when I actually sat down in front of a TV I found that almost every advert just annoyed the poo poo out of me

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Could someone help me with the title of a short film that was TV a few weeks ago? I think it was on Channel 4, and it was definitely right after The Secretary. Was about some lady with OCD scared of a monster in the bedroom.

It poo poo me right the gently caress up but my wife was asleep, and now she wants to see it and I can't remember the name.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

I don't understand how they make any money, let alone why there are so bloody many of them. I've got really used to watching all my TV online and the other day when I actually sat down in front of a TV I found that almost every advert just annoyed the poo poo out of me

Obivously we need a Compare the Comparison market site.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Farscape was awesome. :colbert:

I fill fight anyone who disagrees.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006
Farscape was a generic star wars ripoff made up for by amazing muppet work/design I'm not sure what lessons it could hold for Doctor Who besides "buy Jim Henson Productions".

EDIT: Also Doctor Who embracing the 1970s Superman cartoon stuff is the best thing about it and is a much better idea for a tv show than some Asimov wannabe nonsense like Star Trek. It's just that the old scriptwriter often decided the plots didn't need to make sense either.

Sargeant Biffalot fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 19, 2011

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They couldn't afford Jim Henson productions.

God, if Channel 4 still showed Sesame Street I'd probably watch it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

Farscape was a generic star wars ripoff

I don't think you've actually seen Star Wars have you.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

I don't think you've actually seen Star Wars have you.

Or Farscape for that matter. If he'd said "Buck Rogers" he may have had a point, but either way Farscape is far from generic.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Farscape is one of the most anarchic programs I've ever seen. It is kinda creepy how obsessed goons are with it though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Paperhouse posted:

They take a bite out of the insurer's profits, which is why some ads for the bigger companies (directline for one) boast about not being on any comparison sites. As for why they advertise so aggressively, the only real difference between any of them is which one is most dominant in their market's mind, so they're really fighting hard to make you automatically associate shopping around with whatever.com.
Now Moonpig adverts, what the gently caress are they about. Who proposes with a greetings card, and who'd say yes. Immersion shattered.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006
Star Wars is a throwback/tribute to serials like Buck Rogers though. Rip off was wrong, but I mean it's on the laserswords and space princesses side of the genre and didn't do anything particularly innovative with that. And it's pretty similar to Lexx and the like. I loved it but I think the visuals were always the biggest draw

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Mr. Squishy posted:

Now Moonpig adverts, what the gently caress are they about. Who proposes with a greetings card, and who'd say yes. Immersion shattered.

agreed. And why does everyone find them so funny? they aren't funny, they're poo poo cards

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Who'd win in a death match between the Go Compare Tenor, that Russian Meercat and those really seriously dramatic Injury Laywers 4 You solicitors? Discuss.

My bet is with the Meercat. Red Army training as well as being an animal.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The greetings card market is full of terrible products. The fact we're expected to send so many greetings cards is terrible. I'm seeing them on the day, why am I expected to give them a card? I'm providing the best wishes in person!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

SeanBeansShako posted:

those really seriously dramatic Injury Laywers 4 You solicitors

Is that the guy who honestly seems like he's threatening you. I just don't like cockney men built like brick shithouses in tight suits saying "accident" so often or so angrily.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is that the guy who honestly seems like he's threatening you. I just don't like cockney men built like brick shithouses in tight suits saying "accident" so often or so angrily.

Yeah, him. It is like he is telling you to have an accident right now.

Or you'll get into a "accident".

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Who'd win in a death match between the Go Compare Tenor, that Russian Meercat and those really seriously dramatic Injury Laywers 4 You solicitors? Discuss.

My bet is with the Meercat. Red Army training as well as being an animal.

Well, hopefully the Injury Lawyers 4 You guys die outright in the fight, because if they survive, they'll chase their own ambulances, leading to some sort of paradox.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I mean it's on the laserswords and space princesses side of the genre and didn't do anything particularly innovative with that
You what? It had it's hunky lead character grow increasingly mentile as the show went on, and fippin' this. (Wormholes!)

I'm not some superfan or anything (I stopped watching it a couple of years ago about half way through when my baby daughter turned up and never went back to it, been meaning to) but you can't dismiss it that easily. It was only superficially like Lexx.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Those meerkat things have dragged on way too long, they were kinda funny for the first few but now they're just getting overused. Kind of like how the stuffed polar bear for the Birdseye stuff was cute but now they're bringing it back again.

The advert I hate the most is the fat prick who says 'Wonga' on one of those cash converter trade in places.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Makes me glad I only watch iplayer and 4od

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Our War on BBC3 is surprisingly good for a bbc3 show.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

ChuckDHead posted:

Well, hopefully the Injury Lawyers 4 You guys die outright in the fight, because if they survive, they'll chase their own ambulances, leading to some sort of paradox.

what happened to Billy Murray? Was it just a job to tide him over inbetween CoD releases?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Horrible Histories is on BBC One right now with Stephen Fry doing the links between sketches. Despite this the theme tune still boasts that the host is a talking rat.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Star Wars is a throwback/tribute to serials like Buck Rogers though. Rip off was wrong, but I mean it's on the laserswords and space princesses side of the genre and didn't do anything particularly innovative with that. And it's pretty similar to Lexx and the like. I loved it but I think the visuals were always the biggest draw

That's a funny way to spell Flash Gordon
Also, Lucas has acknowledged the whole thing being a loveletter to Kurosawa.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kerbtree posted:

Haha motherfucker, you don't know shite.

That's proving my point entirely, you strange person. As someone said, Dr Who is magical adventures and Star Trek is "Look at how technology can do these things".

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Taear posted:

That's proving my point entirely, you strange person. As someone said, Dr Who is magical adventures and Star Trek is "Look at how technology can do these things".

Sufficiently nonsensical technobabble is indistinguishable from magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Taear posted:

No. Harry loving Potter has more scientific basis than Star Trek.