Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My left knee is clicking when I land a normal Thai-style roundhouse to the heavy bag. I think it's been happening for a while, but it might be getting more pronounced. I either try to plant the foot down right after the kick or swing the leg reverse along the kicking trajectory, but either way my knee pops right after the kick lands. Does anyone else get this? One of my knees pops when I walk up stairs (has forever) but I can't remember right now if it's the same the kick problem -- I guess that shows how little it bothers me.

I'm not sure if more or less tension after the impact might make it go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Does anyone else get frustrated when you are doing randori with someone else and they are really stiff? I was like that in the beginning too but I eventually learned to stop. Being stiff leaves you open to so many attacks that randori just becomes stagnated.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

rjderouin posted:

Does anyone else get frustrated when you are doing randori with someone else and they are really stiff? I was like that in the beginning too but I eventually learned to stop. Being stiff leaves you open to so many attacks that randori just becomes stagnated.
Last session I did randori with a guy I call 'the rock' because he's immovable by my hand and he doesn't like to move of his own volition either. He's a blue belt, bout 5'9 and probably about 100kg and can harai goshi me at will. He just holds me away with one arm and we just stand there like idiots for 3 minutes until time is called. I'm exagerrating a bit but I wish he'd move around and let me practice whatever basic white belt thing I'm focusing on that week, it almost like he's in the exact same position at the end of randori as when we started. Its not like I'm going to pose some threat anyway, I'm still trying out the first 8 throws for god sakes. I hate people with something to prove. I'm often the only white belt at training and its a bit frustrating as they're fuckin tanks too, seemingly immovable compared to my 75kg frame. I know thats not exactly what you're talking about, but I thought I'd chime in with my own little rant. I yank on his lapell and try to kick his ankle, I suppose that works with limited success.

I randori'd with one of our senseis for the first time and got waaaaaaaay more offense off against him than against the blue belt because he wasn't trying to show that he earnt his belt, he was just having fun giving me little tips, seeing what openings I see and what fakes I respond to and he was loose in his elbows but strong in his wrists and responsive with the feet. He didn't try to throw me once, yet I learnt so much more and had more fun than I had with The Rock even though The Rock would have scored more against me. That sensei is actually a 6th dan black belt and by the end I was literally laughing at how 'like a fish out of water' I felt. He showed me some grip move and said to try it during our randori, so I did it on him successfully and then he immediately did a counter (that I obviously had no idea about) and I whispered 'you bastard. you set me up' and we both burst out laughing and had to break grips and reset our randori. It doesn't sound all that epic now that I've written it out, but it was a truly awesome experience to make someone of that experience laugh mid serious randori session.

Back to your point, screw stiff guys! (not in the gay way)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Nierbo posted:

Last session I did randori with a guy I call 'the rock' because he's immovable by my hand and he doesn't like to move of his own volition either. He's a blue belt, bout 5'9 and probably about 100kg and can harai goshi me at will. He just holds me away with one arm and we just stand there like idiots for 3 minutes until time is called. I'm exagerrating a bit but I wish he'd move around and let me practice whatever basic white belt thing I'm focusing on that week, it almost like he's in the exact same position at the end of randori as when we started. Its not like I'm going to pose some threat anyway,

Assuming you train consistently you will eventually be better than him. Some people just hit this wall where they are good enough to frustrate a white belt, and can do a core of things but can't really do more than that, and never try to expand or refine their games. Sometimes its temporary and they break out of it, and sometimes they are just career blue belts.

The lovely thing is that they are usually really really good at whatever they do, so you have to be good enough to either A) not play that game or B) just better at whatever they're trying to do than they are. Both these things take a fair bit of experience and practice.

The good news is that these guys are great to practice with because it's almost like you're doing a drill: you know what they're going to do, they do it every time, and they're good at it so you can try a lot of counters and really focus on one thing. Just think to yourself, "if I can learn to deal with John's XXX then I can learn to deal with anyone's XXX."

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Last session I did randori with a guy I call 'the rock' because he's immovable by my hand and he doesn't like to move of his own volition either. He's a blue belt, bout 5'9 and probably about 100kg and can harai goshi me at will. He just holds me away with one arm and we just stand there like idiots for 3 minutes until time is called. I'm exagerrating a bit but I wish he'd move around and let me practice whatever basic white belt thing I'm focusing on that week, it almost like he's in the exact same position at the end of randori as when we started. Its not like I'm going to pose some threat anyway,

Force him to move. I know that's not easy, but focus on that. There's a guy like that at my dojo and and I will push/pull him like a maniac and run around to force him to move. I also try to piss him off with a little bit of grip fighting to force him to move to get a good grip on me. It's hard, but keep at it and it will end up working. You'll bite the mat more often than not, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Also, what Xguard said.

quote:

I yank on his lapell and try to kick his ankle, I suppose that works with limited success.

Don't be an rear end in a top hat either, learn how to play his game or how to force him how of his game. It's not Shiai, don't start doing dirty tricks. If you want to be an rear end in a top hat, resort to lot's of suicide throws. Tomoe Nage works ridiculously well on guys like that.

quote:

rjderouin posted:

Tell them they are stiff. In my opinion, everywhite belt and a large % of yellow belt are stiff during randori. I needed about 2 years to learn how to no be stiff. It's just the natural way my body answered to the stress of randori. Now when I'm fighting people who are stiff I always tell them to relax their arms. They are wasting their time and yours fighting with stiff arms, nothing wrong with asking them to loosen up.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The most annoying randori parter in my club is a guy who simply refuses to let you get a sleeve grip. He doesnt take on either, but pretty much just stalls and drops.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

swmmrmanshen posted:

The most annoying randori parter in my club is a guy who simply refuses to let you get a sleeve grip. He doesnt take on either, but pretty much just stalls and drops.

Makes you wonder why he bothers doing randori. It's ok to be afraid of falling in "real" fights, but just sit on the side of the mat if you don't want to spar.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Goddamnit, I've got to lose half a kilo in 24 hours for a BJJ comp. They measure you right before you get on the mat, so I'm going to either be dehydrated or half starved when I roll. Derp.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Goddamnit, I've got to lose half a kilo in 24 hours for a BJJ comp. They measure you right before you get on the mat, so I'm going to either be dehydrated or half starved when I roll. Derp.

Half a kilo is nothing. Take a dump before hand or something and you'll be fine.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yeah, I was.. uhh... eating fibrous. I'm just mad at myself because I had weeks to lose the amount but came up short.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Seriously, half a kilo? Even if you were already totally dehydrated you'd float more than that overnight.

Just eat a small supper tonight and don't have anything to drink tommorow morning until you've checked your weight. But keep in mind that their scale might not totally agree with yours, so giving yourself some buffer is a good idea.

Do they weigh you in for every match, or just the first one?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 17, 2011

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
You guys don't have saunas?

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Nierbo posted:

I used to have a middle-aged Spanish immigrant former body builder in my class. He was an extremely nice guy, but he was always so nervous and thusly TENSE. Anything besides a rough o soto gari was drat near impossible on him.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Thanks xguard and kolliwog. You're always very helpful. At the risk of sounding lame, I added your replies to my judo journal.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

zalmoxes posted:

You guys don't have saunas?

Half a kilo doesn't come near meriting a sauna. Nor should anybody who doens't have any experience with weight cutting try to do something like that.

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Similar to the stiff judo talk.. but how do you bjj guys handle someone close to twice your weight when all they do is lie on top of you? I'm 75kg and 180cm he was prob 170cm and atleast 120 maybe even 130.

This guy has had all of 2 weeks mat time and basically pinned me for 15 mins. I forced my way to half guard a few times but couldn't do anything apart from get squished. Tried workin the gi but he was just too big and heavy. It was really frustrating especially cos he just didn't move.

I've fought 100kg guys and usually I can at least get to half guard and work from there but it still requires some movement for me to take advantage of.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://judostrengthconditioning.blogspot.com/2011/01/cutting-weight-and-losing-out.html

Something my club coach wrote about weight cutting. Just some food for thought.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

delljit posted:

Similar to the stiff judo talk.. but how do you bjj guys handle someone close to twice your weight when all they do is lie on top of you? I'm 75kg and 180cm he was prob 170cm and atleast 120 maybe even 130.

This guy has had all of 2 weeks mat time and basically pinned me for 15 mins. I forced my way to half guard a few times but couldn't do anything apart from get squished. Tried workin the gi but he was just too big and heavy. It was really frustrating especially cos he just didn't move.

I've fought 100kg guys and usually I can at least get to half guard and work from there but it still requires some movement for me to take advantage of.

He's being a dick. I'm 120 kg myself and if I"m going against a female or a smaller guy in matwork (BJJ upper ranks excepted), I just pull guard and work submissions. And if I end up on top for some reason I just give up a sweep so I end up on bottom.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Seriously, half a kilo? Even if you were already totally dehydrated you'd float more than that overnight.

Just eat a small supper tonight and don't have anything to drink tommorow morning until you've checked your weight. But keep in mind that their scale might not totally agree with yours, so giving yourself some buffer is a good idea.

Do they weigh you in for every match, or just the first one?

Just the first one. It's doable and it probably won't affect me much in the match, but I needed to whinge. I really like cheeseburgers, man. A lot. I'm a fat man in a small man's body.

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Thoguh posted:

He's being a dick. I'm 120 kg myself and if I"m going against a female or a smaller guy in matwork (BJJ upper ranks excepted), I just pull guard and work submissions. And if I end up on top for some reason I just give up a sweep so I end up on bottom.
I've got a 120 kg blue belt buddy who uses his side control and mount well but he moves around so I can deal with the way he uses his weight. It's just one if the tools at his disposal. I appreciate people using what's given to them.. strength flexibility or weight but staying absolutely still frustrated the he'll out of me because it was going no where.. ever.

I ended up telling this guy to just get off me because a ref wouldve stood us up about 5 times for stalling/no action. It's just not what I understand bjj to be. What's the point of rolling if you aren't going to experiment, no matter how new you are ?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Nierbo posted:

Thanks xguard and kolliwog. You're always very helpful. At the risk of sounding lame, I added your replies to my judo journal.

that is lame. I know because everyone at the academy calls me a 17 year old girl for writing in my "diary" after classes.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

Xguard86 posted:

that is lame. I know because everyone at the academy calls me a 17 year old girl for writing in my "diary" after classes.

What sort of things do you write in a journal after class? A list of things you did well and things you messed up, that sort of stuff? I could probably benefit from doing this, after rolling with 3 or 4 diff guys a night I feel like an eternity has passed and can only really remember a few highlights and by the next morning I've forgotten a ton of what happened. (and of course, im still in my first month so for my list of things to improve i could just write "everything" haha)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I use mine to write down techniques and details I want to remember. I don't use it every day, just when there is something that could really improve my game or a principle or idea I want to remember.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Someone from judo told me not to cross my feet/ankles behind the guys back when I'm on my back and hes in my guard as its considered a 'squeeze'. What the flying gently caress is he talking about? He's just talking out of his rear end right? This can't possibly be true.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

There is actually a sub, an organ crusher or something, I don't know a proper name for it, but if you get your left leg so far across his back that you can grab it with your right hand, and at the same time you get your right leg so far across his back that you can grab it with your left hand, and you pull down on both your ankles and bridge. You would have to have your feet really really extremely far across his back to do it, though. He's talking out his rear end, in a closed guard you want them crossed most of the time.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Sounds more like the old guy's ego wouldn't be able to handle being arm-barred by a lower belt with previous grappling experience.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Another mystery which forever confounds me is the water bottle regulation. Is it ok to drink whenever you want to? Do you need the instructors permission? Will he be angered if you gulp down some cool, delicious mineral water in the middle of the exercise and if so, why?

I mean there are so many different styles of doing the water bottle. There are instructors and coaches who make it a point not to have any when they don't say so, others would have you drink a sip every 15 minutes, others just let you drink whatever you want whenever you want.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Depends... The old, traditional belief was that sweating thickened the blood and made you stronger. Also abstinence and hardship etc.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Someone from judo told me not to cross my feet/ankles behind the guys back when I'm on my back and hes in my guard as its considered a 'squeeze'. What the flying gently caress is he talking about? He's just talking out of his rear end right? This can't possibly be true.

Closed guard is 100% perfectly legal in Judo...

Ligur posted:

Another mystery which forever confounds me is the water bottle regulation. Is it ok to drink whenever you want to? Do you need the instructors permission? Will he be angered if you gulp down some cool, delicious mineral water in the middle of the exercise and if so, why?

I mean there are so many different styles of doing the water bottle. There are instructors and coaches who make it a point not to have any when they don't say so, others would have you drink a sip every 15 minutes, others just let you drink whatever you want whenever you want.

It's a class management thing. If guys are constantly leaving to go get a drink on their own then it is disruptive to practice and you also don't know if they are breaking off because they are hurt, or because they are thirsty. Most place I've worked out at give water breaks every once in a while and if anybody needs more than they just ask one of the black belts (not because they are going to say no, but so they know why you're breaking off from the workout). That seems to work the best.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 18, 2011

Dirp
May 16, 2007
How do I deal with someone who is really loving good at catching jabs and immediately throwing a cross back? One of my instructors can do this at will and it pretty much completely eliminates my left hand.

I try faking it and he never takes the bait but as soon as I throw a jab I'm getting my hand swatted down ever so slightly and a cross in my face instantaneously.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Lead right hand if you're quick enough. Jab>slip>hook if you can slip well. Jab to the body. Double up your jab. You should be doing all these already except for the lead right hand. vary up your attack if you throw the same combination over and over of course he's going to negate your jab.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Lead right hand if you're quick enough. Jab>slip>hook if you can slip well. Jab to the body. Double up your jab. You should be doing all these already except for the lead right hand. vary up your attack if you throw the same combination over and over of course he's going to negate your jab.

I've tried alot of this and it still doesn't work. I'm not throwing the same combos over and over but I know I tend to lead with my left alot. I think I just need to get better, especially my hand speed.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dirp posted:

I've tried alot of this and it still doesn't work. I'm not throwing the same combos over and over but I know I tend to lead with my left alot. I think I just need to get better, especially my hand speed.

If jab slip hook isn't working your hand speed has to be really lacking. Work on throwing fast combinations with less power behind them when you work the heavybag and padwork. Also bring your jab back as fast as possible. It's hard for me to imagine why jab slip hook isn't working for you.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

If jab slip hook isn't working your hand speed has to be really lacking. Work on throwing fast combinations with less power behind them when you work the heavybag and padwork. Also bring your jab back as fast as possible. It's hard for me to imagine why jab slip hook isn't working for you.

What doesn't work is I still get hit when I try to slip and I think it's just because I'm really loving terrible at slipping punches. I don't know if it's because it's muay thai or what but I feel like we never work on slipping as much as we should. Occasionally we have boxers come in and make me feel like a child because they can just slip and roll everything I throw.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Ligur posted:

Having done all three. I say being relaxed about it, while also instituting brief breaks for a class seems to work best.

If you need to take a break for water or to recooperate or for fresh air that's fine.

If you've got a couple of new guys who take their water break and then start talking loudly, it's not really cool. As Thoguh brought up this can be really disruptive.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Nierbo posted:

Dojime, the trunk squeeze, is actually illegal in judo due to its potential to be fatal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T5VGhDGShE However, closed guard is fine. As you can see from the video, it's a tough thing to visually recognize so just try to be loose with your closed guard (you'll be more efficient if you're comfortable staying loose and just opening your guard when people put pressure on it rather than trying to keep it closed anyway)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Dirp posted:

Ough! Punched! Left cross in face!

Get punched a lot more, I mean, the idea with boxing is that you clock your enemy when he is punching at you anyway? If someone has your number every loving single time you throw a jab he probably KNOWS you are going to throw a jab and you really can't beat that. So take it as a reflex workout you probably can't solve.

In a fight when that happens, stop throwing the punch the other guy knows you are going to throw :)

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Okay thanks. I thought that might be the case. I was thinking 'well won't it just be super easy to pass if I don't cross em'. I'm so surprised I got bullshit info like that from a blue belt. I won't do Dojime and wasn't even aware of it till now. I can't even imagine what that would do to some jerk on the street who hasn't trained before but I guess you could say that about most of the ground techniques.

On the water thing, we're allowed to get water whenever we want, unless they're a blue or brown belt, and every half an hour the instructor is like 'okay, drink break, get some air' and we get 3 minutes to walk around and drink and rest. I don't think its fair for a instructor to stop anyone from getting a drink. If someone passed out, I bet he'd sure wish he could go back and let em have that water. I read online that you can burn a thousand calories on a hard judo workout. Anyone working that hard should definitely take in a bunch of water.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart
So after a lot of faffing about I discovered there's a great MMA gym not five minutes from my house, and I've started BJJ classes, with the odd MMA class when I can make them. I never thought I would have so much fun hugging sweaty men in my pyjamas!

One thing I am worried about, though, is my ears. Most of the more experienced guys have pretty bad cauliflowering, and it's something I'd rather avoid given my profession. Can anyone here recommend some headgear? I have no idea about this stuff and I don't know if there's a particular type that's better for BJJ or something.

Also, although I'm still very, very green at grappling, this thread has been a valuable goldmine of advice. Thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dirp posted:

What doesn't work is I still get hit when I try to slip and I think it's just because I'm really loving terrible at slipping punches. I don't know if it's because it's muay thai or what but I feel like we never work on slipping as much as we should. Occasionally we have boxers come in and make me feel like a child because they can just slip and roll everything I throw.

Oh it's Muay Thai ignore all my advice. I don't know poo poo from a Muay Thai stance.

• Locked thread