Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Well, I'm going to switch back to Liberty for my droid X for now. Maybe check it out again when the bugs are worked out, but for now liberty is just more usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Uh, doesn't the WiMax backup just backup your RSA keys and MAC address (and not all that other stuff)?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
When I did a backup of the wimax and restored to it after installing the new wimax drivers, my wimax version was listed as the old one instead of the new one. So my guess is no.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I was getting tired of CM7 so I decided to give Kingdom rEVOlution (with sense 3.0) a whirl. Shame that it doesn't have the HTC Agenda widget as a possible lockscreen, and that you can't pull down your notifications on the locked screen. Anyone been able to find a workaround that keeps the sense 3.0 ring lockscreen?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Goddamnit.

I flashed to Fresh EVO last night to update my radio, and now my GPS is being a whore again.

I know the fix was a dialer code in Fresh, I just don't remember what the code was...anyone remember or know a link?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I hope this helps:

http://sprintevotips.blogspot.com/2011/03/aosp-rom-gps-not-working-or-not-locking.html

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

THANK YOU.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Just got a Droid Inc off ebay, and I used unrevoked3 to gain superuser. Does this include S-OFF or do I have to use the unrevoked-forever.zip method?

Edit: Solved this in the IRC channel. unrevoked3 (the desktop application run from your Windows/Mac computer) DOES set S-OFF.

Zweihander01 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 17, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I don't know what the problem is, but I'm having a hell of time flashing ROMs on my EVO 4G lately. Yesterday afternoon went like this:

Downloaded the latest CM7 nightly, since I've heard a lot of good things and the release I'm on right now has broken video recording. I downloaded the ZIP on my PC and verified the md5 before copying it to the root of my sdcard.

I picked the option to install a ROM via ROM Manager, creating a backup and wiping dalvik. The phone rebooted into recovery, did a nandroid, appeared to install the ROM, then bounced me back to that godforsaken HTC logo where it got stuck AGAIN. I tried a battery pull (after a solid 15 minute) and booted again, same thing.

I booted into recovery and restored my nandroid backup, which thankfully worked. This time I made sure my Titanium Backup was current and tried the options to wipe data as well (forgoing the nandroid because space is at a premium and I just made one a few minutes earlier). Same result, with a twist... this time when I went to restore my backup, there was a loving MD5 mismatch!

The same backup I had just restored now refused to load. Thankfully I still had one from about a month ago that still worked, so I wasn't completely hosed, but still...

At this point do I just assume that my sdcard is bad, or failing? Are there tools I can use to check its integrity? What the gently caress.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
One thing that I tried when I was doing a fresh install and getting a constant bootloop is wipe the sd-ext or do a "factory reset" then reinstall that way. Dunno if it will help but it was successful for me.

scrub
Jul 9, 2002
For those of you EVO users on CM7 or other gingerbread based rom, this fixed my GPS.

I typically needed to reboot and use GPS immediately, now it just works whenever I need it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=14534313&postcount=2478

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Anyone else running liberty having reboot issues? Mine just rebooted on my while it was sitting here, so I guess another question would be if there's a good way to tell if it's rebooted without you knowing? Only thing I can think of is keeping an eye on the battery history.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Mr. Despair posted:

Anyone else running liberty having reboot issues? Mine just rebooted on my while it was sitting here, so I guess another question would be if there's a good way to tell if it's rebooted without you knowing? Only thing I can think of is keeping an eye on the battery history.

I just switched over to CM7 on mine. Finally decided to just do it and boy does it feel nice to be in an aosp environment with no blur... anywhere. Running pretty good so far. Got the GPS fix in place so now the only thing not working is the camera, which I can live with since I really don't take many pictures at all.

As far as reboots go, I know a few of my friends have had issues with their X's rebooting randomly on them before .596 came out but since they haven't had trouble. I've never had issue with that even while running liberty v.06.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The new lockscreen for MIUI was released today. Some small issues with the lockscreen wallpaper and text overlapping on a incoming call, but a fix will be released tonight.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
Droid X, official GB 596. LCD density set to 220 in build.prop.

I've been running gb for a few weeks now without issue but, as of today, when I attempt to open the battery manager, it force closes without an error. I'm certain it's either something that I uninstalled, or the build.prop edit. Any have any experience with this, or how to fix it?

edit: In case anyone else has this problem, I found the solution: I had frozen "Accounts Storage 2.3.3" with Titanium Backup. Apparently, that's a no-no.

Nupraptor fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 18, 2011

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still stuck with my stock G1 and I won't have enough monies to upgrade to a decent phone for several months (there's a lot of stuff in line before "Decent Phone" to get access to the moneypile). Is it gonna be worth it for me to root and install Cyanogenmod? What sorts of benefits can I expect? I know it was hands down worth it when 2.0 was the latest and greatest, sicne the majority of apps were going 2.0, but now I feel like I'll just be slightly less left behind by being able to install slightly less ancient apps. Am I right?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What OS are you currently running?

If you're still on 1.6 you can expect some pretty serious responsiveness boosts from 2.2, as well as the new features and improved app compatibility.

I'd stick with CM6 though, there are unofficial CM7 ports but performance suffers a bit IMO. Also be aware that Froyo isn't going to work wonders on a device with such little memory, I've found a small swap file on the SD card really improves performance.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

What OS are you currently running?

If you're still on 1.6 you can expect some pretty serious responsiveness boosts from 2.2, as well as the new features and improved app compatibility.

I'd stick with CM6 though, there are unofficial CM7 ports but performance suffers a bit IMO. Also be aware that Froyo isn't going to work wonders on a device with such little memory, I've found a small swap file on the SD card really improves performance.

1.6, yes. The performance gains are real and significant? I may have to get in on this.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Plastik posted:

1.6, yes. The performance gains are real and significant? I may have to get in on this.
Really significant, and the usefulness is more than worth it if the performance even remained the same.

I'd perhaps invest in a decent SD card so you can do true a2sd and a swap file though.

It's a relatively simple process, I've done it on a lot of G1s.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Would it be a good idea for me to wait until gingerbread comes out for my Thunderbolt before I bother trying to figure out how to root it?

I swear every other device I've had that I've modified wasn't that difficult but for some reason I can NOT find a single article that gives me links to software versions that are actually compatible, how to downgrade, etc. Just give us lazy folk one-click solutions to this please

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
G2x users have some good news.

CM_arcee posted:

My dark magical powers have beaten the G2x's radio into submission. Starting tonight, p999 gets a battery meter and twice the data speed ;)

CM_arcee posted:

The G2x has a (now working) dual-channel radio for HSPA+, which the 2X doesn't have.
This should be available in tonight's nightly. A2DP is still deader than a door nail and CM_arcee has said it's going to stay that way for awhile since he's taking a break from trying to figure that bug out.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I installed the latest MIUI on an HTC Inspire a few days ago. Just last night, it has stopped connecting to any sort of cellular data networks. Wifi still works, and it still has cell service, but it never gets any sort of 3G or 4G or 1x or any sort of data connection. I have toggled airplane mode, 3G, and rebooted, and it just won't come back.

I am about to go back to CM7, but I would like to keep using MIUI if there is some simple fix for this.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

G2x users have some good news.

This should be available in tonight's nightly. A2DP is still deader than a door nail and CM_arcee has said it's going to stay that way for awhile since he's taking a break from trying to figure that bug out.

Stupendous news! I've been seeing 7mbit download speeds, so if I can double that....

Also, I assume that means accurate battery meter?

HA HA!

quote:

Hint: you may want to look at the "CM Settings->Interface->LED Notifications" menu after tonight's nightly :) #2X #G2x

He built in LED notifications as well, it seems.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Casao posted:

He built in LED notifications as well, it seems.

Very nice. While A2DP would be nice I actually enjoy the better sound out of direct USB these days so the last niggling bug for me would be GPS.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I installed the latest MIUI on an HTC Inspire a few days ago. Just last night, it has stopped connecting to any sort of cellular data networks. Wifi still works, and it still has cell service, but it never gets any sort of 3G or 4G or 1x or any sort of data connection. I have toggled airplane mode, 3G, and rebooted, and it just won't come back.

I am about to go back to CM7, but I would like to keep using MIUI if there is some simple fix for this.

I would re-wipe and re-flash MIUI. Also try yesterday's version. Best one I used in awhile (on EVO).

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Is the Thunderbolt rootable/Rom flashable? The wife needs a new phone and to get off of her terrible provider, I'm thinking about giving her my Incredible (CM7) and getting a Thunderbolt for myself, but I don't think I could go back to all the verizon bloatware poo poo.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

DigitalMocking posted:

Is the Thunderbolt rootable/Rom flashable? The wife needs a new phone and to get off of her terrible provider, I'm thinking about giving her my Incredible (CM7) and getting a Thunderbolt for myself, but I don't think I could go back to all the verizon bloatware poo poo.

Thunderbolt got S-OFF by way of an engineering ROM, but I don't think there's much in the way of development for it right now. Last I heard was a rough port of CM7 for it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

DigitalMocking posted:

Yes and yes. There are quite a few ROMS and CM7 is in development for it.

Check out XDA's section here. I'm currently running a custom that simply removed all the bloatware.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Very nice. While A2DP would be nice I actually enjoy the better sound out of direct USB these days so the last niggling bug for me would be GPS.

What is direct USB? Playing files through the computer while the USB storage is on?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

tvgm2 posted:

What is direct USB? Playing files through the computer while the USB storage is on?

Sort of, yes. I normally listen to music in my car via A2DP but it also has a front facing USB port so I could just plug it in and mount it. It's a pretty lovely solution if you have a bunch of SD stored ringtones and such but I don't so it works.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
So this walkthrough I'm going through tells me that if I get an error connecting Telnet to localhost:23 I should do some stuff over, but it neverbothers to tell me what an error would look like. Does an error look like question makrs in black diamonds and boxes? Because I keep getting that and I'm following the instructions precisely.

link I'm on the end of the Rooting the HTC Dream section.

Edit: Wait, if I wait for a few minutes it returns an error. Trying again.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 19, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Plastik posted:

So this walkthrough I'm going through tells me that if I get an error connecting Telnet to localhost:23 I should do some stuff over, but it neverbothers to tell me what an error would look like. Does an error look like question makrs in black diamonds and boxes? Because I keep getting that and I'm following the instructions precisely.

link I'm on the end of the Rooting the HTC Dream section.

Edit: Wait, if I wait for a few minutes it returns an error. Trying again.
You did revert to 1.5 first? I've never seen an error trying to get the Telnet to work.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

You did revert to 1.5 first? I've never seen an error trying to get the Telnet to work.

Yeah. I think that these question marks and boxes are normal, but now it's giving me an I/O error when I try to install Amon_Ra's Recovery.

Exact error:
code:
mtd: erase failure at 0x00200000 (I/O error)
mtd: skipping write block at 0x00200000
Yeah I don't know what that means.

E:I did it again and no problems! Yeah I think I'm about to brick my phone.

E2: Ahaha awesome Cyanogen is booting now. At no point in the process did I feel there wassufficient documentation, and roughlt every five minutes I was certain I had bricked my phone. This is a perfect simulation of early 90s computing.

Anyone else's Cyanogen take like five minutes to boot? Is it just the first time or always?

Okay no it is definitely not booting. It booted the once, something crashed, then I told it to reboot. It hasn't been back. Proceeding with reimage instructions.

Reimaged as per instructions at the bottom of this page and it's working. Or so it seems. We'll see.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 19, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Plastik posted:

Yeah. I think that these question marks and boxes are normal, but now it's giving me an I/O error when I try to install Amon_Ra's Recovery.

Exact error:
code:
mtd: skipping write block at 0x00200000
Yeah I don't know what that means.

E:I did it again and no problems! Yeah I think I'm about to brick my phone.

E2: Ahaha awesome Cyanogen is booting now. At no point in the process did I feel there wassufficient documentation, and roughlt every five minutes I was certain I had bricked my phone. This is a perfect simulation of early 90s computing.

Anyone else's Cyanogen take like five minutes to boot? Is it just the first time or always?

Okay no it is definitely not booting. It booted the once, something crashed, then I told it to reboot. It hasn't been back. Proceeding with reimage instructions.
The first boot will take forever. If you set up a2sd, it will take a little longer than forever.

If it truly didn't work and you were at the Cyanogen screen (in other words, it bootlooped), then just go into recovery, wipe everything (data, cache, and dalvik) and reflash CM6, then GApps, then reboot. Usually a bootloop means you didn't wipe.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

The first boot will take forever. If you set up a2sd, it will take a little longer than forever.

If it truly didn't work and you were at the Cyanogen screen (in other words, it bootlooped), then just go into recovery, wipe everything (data, cache, and dalvik) and reflash CM6, then GApps, then reboot. Usually a bootloop means you didn't wipe.

Wiped and reflashed, but not GApps. Gonna do that in a second. I didn't wipe, I wasn't explicitly told to do so in the wiki, or at least I missed it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Plastik posted:

Wiped and reflashed, but not GApps. Gonna do that in a second. I didn't wipe, I wasn't explicitly told to do so in the wiki, or at least I missed it.
Well you have to wipe when moving from ROM to ROM (although not data if you're going from one version of the same ROM to another). If you don't, you get bootloops. (I just looked at the wiki and you're right, it doesn't mention wiping. Trust me though, you have to.)

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
EVO here...Was running Fresh 3.5 and flashed to 4.1.1.0 and in the 30 minutes I've been using it I've come to two gripes

Lost Toggle Widgets from notifications pulldown
Lost LED Blink on Handcent notifications

:(

I also flashed a new radio which they said you should only do if you were on 4+. Now my question is can I flash back to 3.5 and be OK?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Krime posted:

EVO here...Was running Fresh 3.5 and flashed to 4.1.1.0 and in the 30 minutes I've been using it I've come to two gripes

Lost Toggle Widgets from notifications pulldown
Lost LED Blink on Handcent notifications

:(

I also flashed a new radio which they said you should only do if you were on 4+. Now my question is can I flash back to 3.5 and be OK?
I haven't noticed any LED issues but if you want the widgets back, install Widgetsoid from the market. It'll give you the option to put them in your notifications.

If you decide to flash back, you're fine with the new radio. It's still compatible with 2.2, you might have some issues with app data going backwards though.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Any ideas on what could be my problem?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'm running CM 7.0 on my Droid Incredible which I had the latest clockworkmod on but when I recently tried to use Rom manager to update it failed to stick, and for some reason my recovery had reverted to CWM 2.5 or some other really old one. And now I can't seem to get any recovery flashes to stick, manual ones or run from inside rom manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Any ideas on what could be my problem?

I remember you posting this and was wondering if you ever solved it. Dumb question, but you didn't lose S-OFF or anything like that, did you? I don't know a lot about how things are done on the DInc, but have you tried flashing the recovery from ADB?