Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I am planning on getting a NEX-5 and was planning on getting an FD adapter to use my old film canon lenses.

Would a bellows extension be a worthwhile purchase if I want to shoot macro stuff? FD bellows can be had for hilariously cheap it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

A locust I found

IMG_2708 by francography, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Moth III by damnlamb, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Moth III by damnlamb, on Flickr

Yay moths!

Some sort of plant thing

Stamen + pollen of some sort of flower

I really need to start researching and recording proper descriptions of what I shoot.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Fasha

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Crossposting from the SAD-thread:

Snail by azathosk, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Just picked up the Oly 35mm f/3.5 macro. Holy poo poo shooting tiny things is fun.

AlienApeBoy
Jul 11, 2005
Ape
This one isn't nearly as colorful or interesting as the other ones on this page. What is interesting is what it's made of: trabecular metal. A bone-like metal used in orthopedic implants made by my company.

Edit: decided to replace with contrast adjusted to make the bg more white.

AlienApeBoy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 18, 2011

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.
A couple of pics from toying around with a macerated swine's jaw bone and a 8x magnifier lens.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Grabbed some shots of a robberfly while taking a break from work...on a saturday :(

Robberfly I by damnlamb, on Flickr

Robberfly III by damnlamb, on Flickr

More on flickr

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Just to make sure we keep the bug pics:not bug pics ratio correct...

DSC03124 by 総理外人, on Flickr

DSC03068 by 総理外人, on Flickr

DSC02560 by 総理外人, on Flickr

DSC04067 by 総理外人, on Flickr

DSC03507 by 総理外人, on Flickr

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I have a T2i, the kit lens, the 50/1.8, and a handful of old Takumar M42 lenses (50/1.4, 35/4, 135/4, teleconverter of some sort) with a basic Fotodiox mount adapter. I want some ability to do macro stuff, but I don't think $400 for a new macro lens would fly right now - I'm probably limited to around $100.

Would I be better off with the Canon extension tube or one of the Macro Takumar lenses like this one?

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I have a T2i, the kit lens, the 50/1.8, and a handful of old Takumar M42 lenses (50/1.4, 35/4, 135/4, teleconverter of some sort) with a basic Fotodiox mount adapter. I want some ability to do macro stuff, but I don't think $400 for a new macro lens would fly right now - I'm probably limited to around $100.

Would I be better off with the Canon extension tube or one of the Macro Takumar lenses like this one?

Depends on what you want to shoot. Tubes are versatile, also consider a reversing ring if you want greater than 1:1 mag.

I have one that fits the kit lens that I would send to you for cost of shipping. Actually come to think of it, it should fit in an envelope...

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Great pictures in this thread! Between the talk of extension tubes, reverse mounting, the dcr-250 and magnifying and macro lenses, I'm a bit confused though. If I'd want to shoot tiny insects like ladybugs, what would I use with a Canon 550D, what would the best working distance be and how does picture quality change between the above mentioned systems?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Brainwrong posted:

*groan* :ughh:

Well played. I liked the pic, but was wondering about the Arabic dude for a second.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

White beetle by alkanphel, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

FLX posted:

Great pictures in this thread! Between the talk of extension tubes, reverse mounting, the dcr-250 and magnifying and macro lenses, I'm a bit confused though. If I'd want to shoot tiny insects like ladybugs, what would I use with a Canon 550D, what would the best working distance be and how does picture quality change between the above mentioned systems?

I'd be interested in this too. I just use the kit lens for my standard macro photos and would love to know what "cheap" alternatives there are to splashing out on a proper macro lens

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

FLX posted:

You forgot to tell what lenses you have. Without that it's pretty hard to recommend anything.

Still, for ladybugs more important than the lens/accessories is the lighting you'll be using. Their shell will reflect everything you throw throw at them so if you don't want your flash creating hot spots (those ugly white smudges you usually see in ladybugs' pics), you better work on/buy a drat good diffuser.

Brainwrong posted:

I'd be interested in this too. I just use the kit lens for my standard macro photos and would love to know what "cheap" alternatives there are to splashing out on a proper macro lens

50mm with extension tubes, that's the cheapest you can get. Not much working distance but with the short focal length at least it'll be reasonably stable when looking through the finder.

edit: I guess you can go even cheaper using the kit lens with an inversion ring or a close-up lens, but I still recommend the 50 with tubes.

seravid fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 30, 2011

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
That tree frog with the red eyes is an amazing shot.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Stew Man Chew posted:

That tree frog with the red eyes is an amazing shot.

Finally got the Sigma 105mm I picked up for super cheap rechipped.

This is harder than I thought it would be.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

seravid posted:

You forgot to tell what lenses you have. Without that it's pretty hard to recommend anything.

Still, for ladybugs more important than the lens/accessories is the lighting you'll be using. Their shell will reflect everything you throw throw at them so if you don't want your flash creating hot spots (those ugly white smudges you usually see in ladybugs' pics), you better work on/buy a drat good diffuser.

50mm with extension tubes, that's the cheapest you can get. Not much working distance but with the short focal length at least it'll be reasonably stable when looking through the finder.

edit: I guess you can go even cheaper using the kit lens with an inversion ring or a close-up lens, but I still recommend the 50 with tubes.

Thanks, I've got the Speedlite 430EX on my wishlist already :) Lens-wise I only have the 18-55mm kit lens. I don't really have a budget for new gear in mind, but as a beginner I'd rather get something more allround until I figure out what is the most fun to shoot for me.

Edit: Got the Speedlite today and took this test shot with the kit lens. It's a little out of focus but it still turned out quite well I think.

Pink Drop on Flickr

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 4, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Lots of bugs flying around my flowers, so I decided to try getting some macro shots of them, as best as I good with my 18-55mm lens.

DSC_0517.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Not sure which of these works better.

DSC_0526.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0544.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Hopefully I'll get a new lens soon that'll work better for macro so that I can real up close.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Aaaand thanks once again, for suggesting extension tubes as a cheap macro setup. I ordered a set from Amazon which arrived just now and they work great with the kit 18-55mm lens. The working distance is lens-scratchingly short, but for the price it's totally alright. What happens to the working distance when using longer focal lengths?

Extension Tube Test on Flickr

EDIT:

Mr. Despair posted:

DSC_0517.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr
This is amazing! The color and sharpness/clarity work so well with the textures in the picture.

Mr. Despair posted:

DSC_0526.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr
I prefer this one, but I would maybe crop it closer around the wasp to direct the attention towards it and to get rid of the scratches(?) in the lower half of the image.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 5, 2011

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Dread Head posted:

This is very nice (although not quite macro, I figure).

FLX posted:

Aaaand thanks once again, for suggesting extension tubes as a cheap macro setup. I ordered a set from Amazon which arrived just now and they work great with the kit 18-55mm lens. The working distance is lens-scratchingly short, but for the price it's totally alright. What happens to the working distance when using longer focal lengths?

In general: longer focal = longer working distance. But as you go longer on the focal length (and magnification), the vibrations caused by your pathetic human mitts hands will be amplified.

It gets fun when you're working with pretty high magnifications:

This little dude was about 2mm long (and definitely using the wrong kind of camo). If you move just a little to either side your whole subject completely vanishes from your viewfinder (good luck finding him again!).

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Man, I expected way more critters to live in our attic. Only found this guy chilling in his dirty web.

Extension Tube Test #2 on Flickr

Edit:

seravid posted:

It gets fun when you're working with pretty high magnifications:

This little dude was about 2mm long (and definitely using the wrong kind of camo). If you move just a little to either side your whole subject completely vanishes from your viewfinder (good luck finding him again!).
This is great! So colorful :3:

Edit 2:

seravid posted:

In general: longer focal = longer working distance. But as you go longer on the focal length (and magnification), the vibrations caused by your pathetic human mitts hands will be amplified.
I just did some more test-shots and when going smaller than 35mm on my kit lens, I'm focusing on the dust on my lens. :haw:

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 5, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

FLX posted:

I prefer this one, but I would maybe crop it closer around the wasp to direct the attention towards it and to get rid of the scratches(?) in the lower half of the image.

Pretty sure it's little bits of spider web. There have been a lot of little orb weavers making webs that inevitably get blown apart from the wind and storms, so the flowers were just covered in the stuff if you looked close.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

FLX posted:

Man, I expected way more critters to live in our attic. Only found this guy chilling in his dirty web.

Get out there! The cool, high-fiving critters don't live in attics :c00lbert:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DSC_0580.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

The bees at my house are a nightmare to try getting a good picture of.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Probably more so a "close up" than true macro...

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Dread Head posted:

Probably more so a "close up" than true macro...

What the hell is this thing?

I guess I'll follow in the same vein:

San Diego Zoo 012 100crop by Abnegātus, on Flickr

San Diego Zoo 093 crop by Abnegātus, on Flickr

San Diego Zoo 061 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Dirty ladybug ahead!

Extension Tube Test #3 on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Dread Head posted:

This has got to be the first cute snake I've seen. :3:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Is it reptile day? Alright.

2 pics panorama/stack at 2:1 :black101:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
It is a vine snake, coolest snake I have ever seen. Super thin body/neck and a head that seemed too large large for the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

A little easier to get shots of the bee's in my yard with this 70-300. Much nicer taking the shots from 3 feet away instead of 3 inches.

DSC_0114.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

This ant I spotted while bee hunted stole the show though.

DSC_0135.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr