Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

I don't know what you're implying I should have done instead but like I said, I don't have a college level formal art background, most of my fundamentals come from high school and from self learning.

This is why I think a college program that stresses these is valuable - I didn't have it :)

You went to RIT didn't you? I was just making a joke about it being "brick city"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Shalinor posted:

... and apparently this is how artists get it too, so yay artists, do this too I guess.

This is a great post.

Like comedians and journalists, artists are all about observing the world around them. A lot of people confuse this for looking, but merely looking is just taking in what rays of light reach your eyes and what signals they send to the brain.

Observing takes that poo poo a step further and you start to notice things like why on a clear sunny day your white t-shirt appears white in the light but blue in the shade, so you have something regarding ambient light to take away from such a small experience. Also why you may have difficulty discerning the exact colour of a car when it's far away, you are actually more often than not looking at the reflections of it's surroundings bouncing off and what was why Gran Turismo 1 looked so loving good back in the day, strong reflections on the metal surfaces of the cars.

I learn a lot transferring my 3d knowledge to the real world, that surface is really matte so this is how it'd do that in 3d, lots of bright highlights on exposed edges of this surface so I'd implement that by bright areas on the specular map. Wood grain still shows through bright white paint on the door to my right so the spec map would be pretty uniform all over while the normal map would show a lot of surface detail even if the colour map is pretty simple.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Alterian posted:

You went to RIT didn't you? I was just making a joke about it being "brick city"

code:
--->Your joke--->

---|My Head|----
The abundance of red brick everywhere was probably actually beneficial, as it makes all the non-brick details pop :v:

Also I can't hear/see 'Brick City' and not think of the less endearing name every guy had for the male-dominated campus.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Sigma-X posted:

code:
--->Your joke--->

---|My Head|----
The abundance of red brick everywhere was probably actually beneficial, as it makes all the non-brick details pop :v:

Also I can't hear/see 'Brick City' and not think of the less endearing name every guy had for the male-dominated campus.

I honestly never heard that while going there. But the parking spaces analogy was all over the place.

aas Bandit posted:

It's a good place to work. I'm currently enjoying a Friday-afternoon beer and some yay-we-hit-a-milestone pie. :)

I'm really excited about it! My phone interviews on Monday :)

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
If anyone here works for Carbine in Aliso Viejo, please send me a private message! I would like to speak with you about something.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I honestly never heard that while going there. But the parking spaces analogy was all over the place.

I'm really excited about it! My phone interviews on Monday :)

That's so weird. I swear when I went we had a brick city festival. (homecoming)

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Seeing this thread has inspired me to choose between art or programming.

Not sure what art discipline I'd go after.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Is a job (paid internship) in IT doing development and project management a pretty good way of getting familiar with doing team based projects? It seems like it's a 'duh, yeah it would' but I just want to make sure it's going to actually give me experience that can translate to actual development work, not just management work in general.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Solus posted:

Work on a small project to experience both and then decide :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Solus posted:

Erm, which do you find most fun and/or rewarding? Which could you do full time for years and not end up hating?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

mutata posted:

Erm, which do you find most fun and/or rewarding? Which could you do full time for years and not end up hating?

Art over programming. I end up hating my job if its not creatively stimulating, that and I suck at maths.

Better start improving my drawing skills

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Solus posted:

I end up hating my job if its not creatively stimulating, that and I suck at maths.
Hey now, programming can be creatively stimulating!

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Akuma posted:

It's more of I never found programming fun personally, though if I am honest it was two years getting taught VB and C++ at high school...

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:

washow posted:

In the OP it says for programmers to focus on their core math skills. Can someone elaborate more on this?

Quoting myself. Where are the programmers at??

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Fairly selfish request incoming :3:

Shalinor now that you're a mod and this thread has been around for a while we should make gang tags for the industry people/thread regulars who've been offering advice and criticism. It'd be cool to identify the games biz people in other threads.

The name should be "Idea Guys" or something.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Akuma posted:

Plus they can actually earn a living, and when you inevitably burn out of the industry there's a huge number of jobs waiting you no matter where you go.

Clonkers
Jan 15, 2009

OmniBong
Solus: Programming doesn't become fun until you conquer the syntax and grasp the core mechanics of the language, from then on it is like writing a book, you construct interfaces between complex systems all the while aiming to maintain both readability of code and raw performance. Once the design and implementation is done you release it into the rest of the project then spend time tweaking it, fixing bugs and making it as near perfect as it has been (by the end you normally look at it and wish you could start over but c'est la vie).

Washow: Focusing on core maths skills is good, particularly what I'd call 'Graphical Maths' e.g matrix math and manipulation and trigonometry, however all of that is useless if you are a poor coder. Read books and study other peoples implementations and code to try and improve your own skills, never copy and paste code from somewhere else without understanding exactly what it does - debugging is near impossible if you don't know what the code does in the first place. hope that helps

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Shalinor, is your new position what you mean by game mod experience? :downs:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

RoboCicero posted:

Shalinor, is your new position what you mean by game mod experience? :downs:
I feel that the leadership experience I have gained in giving people rude titles will apply well to your Producer position, and look forward to talking with you. Please see enclosed resume written in silly string and crayon.

mp5 posted:

Fairly selfish request incoming :3:

Shalinor now that you're a mod and this thread has been around for a while we should make gang tags for the industry people/thread regulars who've been offering advice and criticism. It'd be cool to identify the games biz people in other threads.

The name should be "Idea Guys" or something.
If this were to occur, an artist would first need to do a gang tag. Unless you like the aforementioned crayon and silly string approach.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Alterian posted:

That's so weird. I swear when I went we had a brick city festival. (homecoming)

Oh no I meant Sigma's nickname. Yeah the brick city stuff is all over the place. Imagine was last month and the questions I got about our work was hilarious.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

Shalinor posted:

If this were to occur, an artist would first need to do a gang tag. Unless you like the aforementioned crayon and silly string approach.

Here's my vote:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

waffledoodle posted:

Here's my vote:

Funny on multiple levels.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Currently working on weapons design and balancing...Game designers, please pay attention in your math classes :science:

It's calculus and algebra all the way down.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Change all the values to the same number and see if anyone notices.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Note that if we do any kind of gang tag, it will be purely opt-in. No outing of folks that don't want to be outed. It may also be tied to SA GameDev. Hmmm. We shall see.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
What'sa SA GameDev?

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Monster w21 Faces posted:

What'sa SA GameDev?

SA Game Development competition. More info: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416008

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Amrosorma posted:

Currently working on weapons design and balancing...Game designers, please pay attention in your math classes :science:

The gun nerd in me is reading through those going P90, M4, Minimi...

You working on a FPS? Because Denkirson's Xanga blog has this sort of stat breakdown for a number of current FPSs and it's all cool reading seeing how they balanced the games (or failed to)

http://denkirson.xanga.com/

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

waffledoodle posted:

Here's my vote:

God drat

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Amrosorma posted:

Nerding out!

USA AMR2: Barrett M95 ( You wrote the weight in pounds, not kilogram )
HUN AMR1: Gepard AMR ( Forgot a comma )
USA AMR4: Barrett XM109 ( Pounds again )
DEU AR2: G36
USA AR2 M16A2
RUS AR3: AKM
RUS CR1: AKS-74U
DEU CR3 HK416C
USA CR4: XM8 (It's a H&K, why is it USA then?)
BEL PDW1: FN P90
USA SMG1: Kriss Super Vector
DEU SMG1: MP5-A2
AUT DMR2: Steyr ACR ( Pounds! )
USA DMR3: M14 EBR
USA DMR4: Probably a M110, but with wrong weight
USA HG5: M1911
BEL HG2: FN Five-seveN
RUS HG2: Nagant M1895
AUT HG1: Glock 18
ITA HG1: Beretta 93R
RUS HG4: MP-443 "Grach"
DEU LMG1: MG36
BEL LMG1: FN MAG
USA LMG3: M60
DEU SG1: HK CAWS
RUS SG2: Saiga 12
ZAF SG1: Neostead
USA SR1: CheyTac Intervention
DEU SR3: GOL-Sniper Magnum
RUS SR4SL: VSS

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Shalinor posted:

Note that if we do any kind of gang tag, it will be purely opt-in. No outing of folks that don't want to be outed. It may also be tied to SA GameDev. Hmmm. We shall see.

Meh on the SA GameDev tie-in. Seems to me like they should be two different things for two slightly different groups.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Diplomaticus posted:

Meh on the SA GameDev tie-in. Seems to me like they should be two different things for two slightly different groups.

I tend to agree.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

Meh on your meh.

It is unlikely to happen anyways, as gang tags are looked upon less favorably these days.

We shall see what fanciness can be done, though.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Crosspost from the 3D CG thread in CC.

Might tweak a few things but I was getting ready to call this one done. Crits and comments quite welcome!

Edit : 7000 Triangles, Spec, normal and diffuse.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Odddzy posted:

Might tweak a few things but I was getting ready to call this one done. Crits and comments quite welcome!

Programmer chiming in here: Why does the gun . . . handle? grip? look so smooth? Is that a reflection of the real world weapon or an aesthetic choice? Cause to me it looks a bit plastic-y, but if that's authentic then hey, told you I was a programmer ;)

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Odddzy posted:

Right away, the grips look kinda funny. The rear grip should have a bumpy texture akin to a basketball along the sides and back, and the VFG looks too long and thin. What did you use as a reference?

There's one nit-picky thing that has nothing to do with your technical work: the selector switch is for a semi-auto (presumably this is supposed to be full-auto HK416). No one will notice this (or care!) except hopeless nerds, though.

And one more thing that's not wrong by any means, but you might want to consider: some people like to mount their optics so that the lens covers flip down, keeping them out of the way. You've got more than enough space on the model to do that, and, if this is for an FPS, it would open up a little more screen space.

edit:

Chasiubao posted:

I'm slightly terrified that you know exactly what gun it is (please don't shoot me :ohdear:) But then I'm a hopeless Canadian who knows next to nothing about guns :canada:

Wikipedia, my brother. It looked like an AR-15, but when I checked for reference the sights looked funny, so I looked around for related rifles until I found the HK416.

Male Man fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 19, 2011

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Male Man posted:

Right away, the grips look kinda funny. The rear grip should have a bumpy texture akin to a basketball along the sides and back, and the VFG looks too long and thin. What did you use as a reference?

There's one nit-picky thing that has nothing to do with your technical work: the selector switch is for a semi-auto (presumably this is supposed to be full-auto HK416). No one will notice this (or care!) except hopeless nerds, though.

And one more thing that's not wrong by any means, but you might want to consider: some people like to mount their optics so that the lens covers flip down, keeping them out of the way. You've got more than enough space on the model to do that, and, if this is for an FPS, it would open up a little more screen space.

I'm slightly terrified that you know exactly what gun it is (please don't shoot me :ohdear:) But then I'm a hopeless Canadian who knows next to nothing about guns :canada:

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Male Man posted:

edit:

Wikipedia, my brother. It looked like an AR-15, but when I checked for reference the sights looked funny, so I looked around for related rifles until I found the HK416.

Yeah, I'll have to add some detail normal mapping on the rear grip. The front grip is plastic. I believe it gives a good read but if some people are in doubt I'll give a go at it again. What's a VFG?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Odddzy posted:

What's a VFG?
Vertical Forward Grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

I actually owned an airsoft HK416 a few years back.

I'm going to leave any modelling critiques to better artists than I, but the only faults I can see are through not really conducting enough research and not having access to high res research images. The general shape is there, it's just the incorrect small details like the bottom of the mag having an enlarged bottom plate like that when IRL they don't, the mag itself being too thin, no mag release button above the trigger on the right and the dust cover where the bullets eject lacks the ribbing detail and is either fully open or fully closed and flush with the body, not in between.

and no catch on the charging handle. I mention that last one specifically because as an in game model it'll be right up in the player's view.

Yeah if I'm gonna sperg out about minor gunsgunsguns details may as well offer some help along with it. :v:

I uploaded some old pictures i had of my old 416, as I no longer own it. :)http://imgur.com/a/TNncZ#JwglP